PDA

View Full Version : AR 15

CorvertJoe
November 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm looking into purchasing a AR 15 any ideas on who makes the best AR?

Shawn Dodson
November 15, 2009, 01:57 PM
How much money do you plan to spend? That'll have the biggest influence on what brand AR variant you buy.

I suggest you visit two other forums:

www.ar15.com
www.m4carbine.net

I have a Colt AR15A2 and a few Bushmaster M4 carbines. All have been reliable shooters for me.

Cheers!

RT
November 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
You may have opened a can of worms....
Colt 6920, LaRue, LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co., Sabre, S&W.......
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fbrowse&category=ar15%2Fm16

Read these knowledge threads
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Also, buy some Magpul PMags.

golfnutrlv
November 15, 2009, 06:18 PM
Look at this one...Smith and Wesson M&P 15. Comes with a ton of features out of the box, and they are running a Load Up Promo right now. Get 5 free magazines via mail.

I Highly recommend the MOE edition, has a bunch of upgraded Magpul parts, grip, magazine, sights, stock and handguard. It comes with one PMag 30 (law dependent) and you get the promo.

They run about $1099 in my area, good price for a great rifle.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&categoryId=33803&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15701&top_category=15701

CUBAN REDNECK
November 15, 2009, 06:34 PM
There are many to choose from out there in the market. Do a little research and determine which price range is best for you. You can go to several websites, previously mentioned in this post, that will help you make an educated decision.:)

NSO_w/_SIG
November 15, 2009, 06:37 PM
What is the best? That's a can of worms.

I can tell you what I think the best bargains are for what you get vs. what you pay. And that is Bravo Company(BCM) and Spikes Tactical. There are alot of good AR makers out there and right now seems like a good time to be in the market, lots of good deals.

Bravo is my top pick.

Alleykat
November 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
I just can't imagine anybody's making one better than I do. ;)

rdmallory
November 15, 2009, 06:51 PM
I like the new Ruger but it is not cheep and it uses non standard components.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/index.html?r=y

Doug

riggins_83
November 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
It really doesn't depend what price range you're looking at. I personally think Bushmaster is one of the best far as bang for the buck. Crome lined barrel, forward assist and dust covers on pretty much everything they make. Lots of options...

RockyMtnTactical
November 15, 2009, 07:40 PM
Best? Noveske?

Almost as good, for less? Colt, BCM, LMT, etc...

Best value? Stag.

pvt.Long
November 15, 2009, 07:45 PM
Well for my two cents I would like to throw in another vote for the s&w mp 15 clan.

3StrikesNC
November 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
I have to say a +1 for the S&W M&P15. I've had mine for almost two years now. I shot in a Match yesterday, 200 yards, and kept up with the best shooter in the club with his Rock River Match AR and his reloads. I was shooting the Federal 5.56 mm out of the box stuff. I will say, I did put a Jewell two-stage trigger in it a whaile back, cause the original sucked.

All in all, a great 16" barrel rifle. I could not be more pleased.

J.Kendall
November 15, 2009, 08:49 PM
That M&P 15 is a fun gun. My two cents

rampage841512
November 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've really been enjoying my M&P15 since I bought it. My vote goes to it. I bought it recently but before the pmag promo.

qwman68
November 15, 2009, 08:53 PM
i like the ruger.. but im a huge ruger fan anyway..DPMS has alot of diffrent calibers if that makes any diffrence.. the one i used in the miltary was a colt.worked most of the time.. since they came out with gas piston ar's i would look into those if i were you..alot more reliable,supposedly.

Skyyr
November 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
Best? Noveske?

Best value? Stag.

This.

CorvertJoe
November 15, 2009, 10:02 PM
I plan on spending no more then $1100 if possible. I can remember just a couple of years ago a bushmaster standard was just about $870.00. now they want $1300 at the same shop.That smith sounds like something to check out. I never
knew that smith & wesson made a ar 15 type rifle, I'll check it out. thanks for all the replies.

riggins_83
November 15, 2009, 10:07 PM
Gun shops (at least around here) tend to jack up prices on Bushmasters. I purchased one from impactguns for $890 the gun shop want $1200 for. Worth checking out...

Skyyr
November 15, 2009, 10:08 PM
If $1100 is your budget, I'd aim for a LMT or BCM.

CorvertJoe
November 15, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'll check out impact guns, and also lmt and bcm. And see what the deal is.

Palmetto-Pride
November 15, 2009, 11:01 PM
Another vote for the S&W MP-15 mine has been flawless.

grumpa72
November 15, 2009, 11:05 PM
One man's relatively informed opinion - http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

Another article
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm

Fwiw, I own the Colt LE6920 and my son has the LE6940 both purchased from Code 4 LLC at http://code4lesales.com/cgi-bin/listman/exec/search.cgi?search=1&lfield12_keyword=Rifles%20Colt&template=_search_results_colt_r.html

I really like my 6920 but if you want any rails the 6940 is a very nice rifle. The author of the first and rather lengthy article essentially states that, for your everyday type of guy, just about any AR is going to work just fine. I happen to like some of the refinements in the Colt and would buy it again. Just my opinion.

Quentin2
November 16, 2009, 02:24 AM
I just can't imagine anybody's making one better than I do.

Great answer, AlleyKat! :D

Gav-n-Tn
November 16, 2009, 02:28 AM
Whomever mentioned the can of worms was exactly right! LOL. ANYTIME this question gets asked it turns into a VERY long diatribe if not an argument :D www.southernoutdoorlife.com

mrnkc130
November 16, 2009, 02:49 AM
I've had several Rock Rivers, great prices and great gun, be sure and check them out.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/

NSO_w/_SIG
November 16, 2009, 04:09 AM
Don't make me post "the chart"

I have had 7 AR's, currently own 6. The one I sold, RRA, why BCG failed me. Just too many other guns that do it a little better for the price for me to recommend RRA or Bushmaster.

RT
November 16, 2009, 05:41 AM
Good deal
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=81102X&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSMWE

Gav-n-Tn
November 16, 2009, 05:45 AM
Whomever mentioned the can of worms was exactly right! LOL. ANYTIME this question gets asked it turns into a VERY long diatribe if not an argument www.southernoutdoorlife.com

Well, since we are just sounding off and being opinionated, put my name in the hat for Saber Defense (1 of only 3 contractors ever awarded an M16 contract from the military) and Stag Arms. :)

gotigers
November 16, 2009, 07:55 AM
whatever you get, get it with as much of the nice upgrades as you can afford. They are much higher to add later. Rails, gas blocks, etc.

+1 S&W M&P15, good price, good quality, almost all mil-spec. There are serveral different models.

vanfunk
November 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
1 of only 3 contractors ever awarded an M16 contract from the military

There have been a couple more:

Colt, FN, Harrington and Richardson, GM Hydramatic Division, and Balimoy Industries have all manufactured M16 rifles.

vanfunk

Skyyr
November 16, 2009, 11:15 AM
Well, since we are just sounding off and being opinionated, put my name in the hat for Saber Defense (1 of only 3 contractors ever awarded an M16 contract from the military) and Stag Arms.

They use commercial parts (instead of milspec) in their rifles. Because of that, I try to avoid them. Also, they use Samson rails, which are HEAVY AS HECK. I kid you not, that M5 weighed more than two Noveskes. I had a Sabre M5 Tactical and sold it.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
Instead of buying based on a brand, try this:

1. Decide what features you want on an AR15.
2. Buy whoever gives you all of those features at the best price*

*Keeping in mind that if you also want service and a dealer who can help you out if you do have a problem, you should expect to pay more for it. A dealer who sells at $50 over his cost doesn't have any margin left to hold your hand through whatever issues you might have.

Reading the explanation of "The Chart" gives a good idea of what the different features offer you and can help you decide what YOU need.

In an ideal world, the guy who just wants to punch paper to the tune of 100-250 rounds a year wouldn't have to spend $1,250 on an AR15 that has a bunch of features he will never use and could buy a $600 AR15 that will suit his needs fine.

Likewise, the guy who is carrying a rifle for work and training hard with it wouldn't get stuck with a $600 rifle that is going to fail him because the $600 rifle was cheaper and it looked just like the $1,250 rifle that would have done the job.

NSO_w/_SIG
November 16, 2009, 03:10 PM
They use commercial parts (instead of milspec) in their rifles. Because of that, I try to avoid them. Also, they use Samson rails, which are HEAVY AS HECK. I kid you not, that M5 weighed more than two Noveskes. I had a Sabre M5 Tactical and sold it.

Sabre uses a commerical reciever tube and they batch test MPI and HPT.... Other than that I can't think of what they use that is a commerical part, I am not looking at "the chart" right now either so I could be wrong. Sabre makes some of teh best barrels there are FWIW and that is alot IMO. Barrel and BCG are the two most important pieces in my book.

Skyyr
November 16, 2009, 03:46 PM
Sabre uses a commerical reciever tube and they batch test MPI and HPT.... Other than that I can't think of what they use that is a commerical part, I am not looking at "the chart" right now either so I could be wrong. Sabre makes some of teh best barrels there are FWIW and that is alot IMO. Barrel and BCG are the two most important pieces in my book.

They also only offer their 18" rifles in mid-lengths, which isn't optimum. Of course, that would only affect someone looking for an 18" rifle, but its still worth noting.

Also keep in mind that because their receiver extensions are commercial, so are their stocks. This limits you in the ability to sell and upgrade your existing stock. and would require you having to remove and replace the receiver extension and end-plate should you want a mil-spec stock. Not too bad all in all, but I expected more from the company as they tout themselves as a mil-spec government contractor.

That said, yes - they have very good barrels.

GLK
November 16, 2009, 06:39 PM
Best? Noveske?

Best value? Stag.

Like RMT and Skyyr already said, and I agree.

Palmetto-Pride
November 16, 2009, 07:04 PM
Does anyone else think the question "Who makes the best AR-15" should be a sticky? I mean its a never ending debate so lets just keep adding to one big thread.................lol