PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14

Pestman
November 12, 2009, 06:10 PM
I live in NJ and I am looking to buy a Mini 14 Target model. What do you think I should expect to pay for this gun in a gunshop? Does anyone know if any shop in NJ has one? THanks.

Lou

olyinaz
November 12, 2009, 09:41 PM
They go for $899 in Tucson.

Oly

qwman68
November 13, 2009, 12:53 AM
i personally think you could find a better deal online and have it shipped to your FFL and still get it cheaper than you could at a gunshop. i have alwats been able to beat any gunshop around here's price.. just takes time and patience..

mukibetser
November 13, 2009, 11:09 AM
+1 on the internet route. I live in NJ and have bought all my guns from either Buds or Impact guns and had them shipped to an FFL here in NJ. I've saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars. The cost of the guns has been 15% - 20% less than what I've seen in local stores, and you don't pay tax. I would like to support local merchants, but here in NJ there are very few shops, generally with poor inventory and high prices.

If you are anywhere near wayne, try True Value Hardware in Lincoln Park as an FFL. They have the lowest transfer fees I've found ($35 last time I checked) and are a pleasure to deal with.

Pestman
November 13, 2009, 07:31 PM
thanks!! I will try searching around on the net to see what prices I get. I dont mind buying from a local place here but they never have anything in stock and they always try to sell you something different.

Alleykat
November 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
Aren't ARs legal in NJ? If they are, then why not just get the far superior AR? ;)

blume357
November 14, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'm sure a resident will clear that up....

with that said... if you haven't already, you need to get clear with a local FFL what they will accept, who they will accept it from, and how much it will cost to do the transfer...

Pestman
November 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
I am pretty sure AR's are legal here in Jersey. I just asked about the Mini 14 because of its "affordability". I thought AR's were a lot more but after searching around they are not much more. I'll definitely think about it. I am new to rifles. I have been shooting a .22lr Remington 597 for a 2 years so I want to try something new.

Alleykat
November 14, 2009, 10:15 AM
If you're thinking about spending around $8-900 bucks, then you're definitely in AR range. :)

Skyyr
November 14, 2009, 11:26 AM
Sure, the Mini-14 might be marginally cheaper, but have you seen their accuracy issues? At BEST, they might do 2-3 MOA @ 100yds (unless you get a target model, which is more expensive). For less than $100 more (or for the same price), you can get an AR that will shoot sub-MOA all day long.

qwman68
November 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
acuracy might be 2-3 in at 100 yards for you.. its a little better for me.. maybe you should shoot more..

tomcs
November 14, 2009, 03:33 PM
Speaking of the Mini-14, anyone tried the Accu-strut on one? I'd be interested in your results. I have a newer Ranch Rifle, 18 " barrel, etc. Groups now about 2 inches (excluding the all-too common flyer), want to try to tighten that. Thanks.

Gav-n-Tn
November 15, 2009, 05:24 AM
Since nobody else has, I'll just ask; What are you going to do with the rifle? Are you going to hunt? Are you going to plink? Target shooting? All of that plays into your choices along with a multitude of other questions that you need to ask yourself. You started the OP wanting a Mini-14 and it looks like you may consider an AR instead. If it is between the two and you want the best bang for buck, BUILD you an AR. If it comes down to just dollars and cents, that's the cheapest way to go in my opinion and I own ARs and Mini-14s. If it is for hunting, that Mini-14 will kill them just as dead as the AR but you can't buy a new target Mini-14 for what you can build an AR for. If it makes you feel better, buy the upper already complete and just build your lower. AND if you do not want to have a mixed-brand AR, buy all of the lower parts the same brand as your upper. You'll save yourself a ton of money by doing that.

Average Joe
November 15, 2009, 03:49 PM
For what you will shell out on a Mini 14, you will do yourself a favor buying an AR. It may be a few dollars more now, but you will thank us in the end....

Tomas204
November 15, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have 1 of those Ranch rifles with the Target Barrel ,I wish I would have bought an AR ,I only paid $780 for mine ,I have to send mine back because it was sold with a bent barrel ,I bought it new from a gun store ,I will let you know after I get it back from Ruger ,but IMHO I would buy an AR geta good one you wil be a lot happyer ;)

olyinaz
November 15, 2009, 04:57 PM
Speaking of the Mini-14, anyone tried the Accu-strut on one? I'd be interested in your results. I have a newer Ranch Rifle, 18 " barrel, etc. Groups now about 2 inches (excluding the all-too common flyer), want to try to tighten that. Thanks.

Yes, they work. Mine (an older Mini) was 3-4" before and it's about a 2" gun now. Fliers are still a problem however and I suspect that's a bedding issue.

There's another brand of strut that I'd try first (Google it) because while the Accu-Strut looks great I think it comes with cheap/flimsy clamps. The other brand looks to have better clamps.

Best,
Oly

mukibetser
November 15, 2009, 09:02 PM
Here is how it works in NJ: NJ has its own version of the "assault weapons ban". There is a long list of rifles that are specifically banned, including AR-15s, M-1s, and the folding stock version of Mini-14s. Also banned are any guns that are "substantially similar" to those on the banned list. A gun is "substantially similar" under the statute if it has a detatchable magazine and more than one of the following 4 features: 1) flash hider, 2) pistol grip, 3) bayonet lug, and 4) collapsible stock. Finally, the magazine cannot hold more than 15 rounds. Thus, any gun with AR-15 stamped on the receiver is illegal. However, the NJ atty general's office has, in its infinite wisdom, ruled that the Colt match series of AR "style" rifles are not AR-15s for purposes of the NJ AWB. However, you still can't have one with more than 15 rd mag, and, since it has a pistol grip, it can't have a collapsible stock, flash hider or bayonett lug. Colt makes one version of the match series that is NJ legal -- the M-4 "style" match rifle with fixed stock and 9 rd mag. They go for around $1300. The S&W M&P15FT (tactical vesion with the fixed stock and no flash hider) is also NJ legal. I think they go for around $1500. I assume you could assemble a NJ legal AR as well as long as it doesn't have AR-15 stamped on the receiver, but am not 100% sure.

I own a Mini-14 tactical, with flash hider and had it shipped with the 5rd mag instead of the 20. It was around $700, significantly less than the rifles mentioned above. I am quite happy with it. It is a lot of fun to shoot at the range, and I believe would make a handy rifle in the event of man made or natural disaster.

blume357
November 15, 2009, 09:29 PM
with that said... I 'guess' ARs are more accurate than the mini-14... everybody says so, unfortunately in my experience I can't tell the difference... I can't shoot well enough at 100 yards with iron sights with either to figure out which is better..

the new mini-14s with the heavy barrel are supposed to be much better.. not the target one with the big adjustable thingy on the end but just the new standard model.

gotigers
November 16, 2009, 08:00 AM
$800-900, +1 for AR. Lots of nice ARs for that much. CMMG bargain bin. $600

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2005459&cat=161&

Wrothgar
December 28, 2009, 12:38 AM
Can the mini 14 take AR mags?

LukeA
December 28, 2009, 12:44 AM
Not in stock form.

KMO
December 28, 2009, 09:26 AM
Pestman opened this thread with a good question about acquiring a Mini-14, and the predictable "Get an AR instead" responses come rolling in. I'm beginning to think there is an AR mind cult out there. I mean, can a guy just buy a Mini-14 and be happy about it without the AR crowd insisting it was a mistake? I've owned several Mini-14's and have enjoyed accessorizing and improving them. Even if I did nothing to them at all, I'm impressed with the Mini-14's function, design, durability, and appearance. Mine have been Ranch models, with beautiful wood stocks, in part because I simply didn't want a black plastic war tool. To the AR crowd...enjoy your rifles...but, let the Mini-14 owners do the same.

To Pestman...Try Bud's Gun Shop online for some excellent prices and service...;)

Quentin2
December 28, 2009, 10:29 AM
Good point, however Pestman was glad to get info on ARs. I think it's fair to bring up the differences especially since he was in the AR ballpark pricewise.

Nothing terrible about the Mini but if I were new to the game and looking at 223/5.56 I'd sure want to hear about the AR as well. And if you want a more conventional rifle that is accepted in a ban state, then the Ruger makes even more sense.