PDA

View Full Version : The Mini-14 vs. the M16/AR15/HBAR/variations thereof

JohnH1963
November 6, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have experience with the M16 style of rifle and my opinion has always been that its unreliable unless thoroughly cleaned. I've seen a lot of these jammed. However, the Mini-14 is so reliable and always works.

The M16 is far more accurate, but you can still hit a coffee from 50 yards away with the Mini which is good enough accuracy for a self defense situation at home.

All I know is that you better keep oiling and cleaning that M16 daily. Its the only way to get it work right. The Mini can just sit somewhere for a while and be ready to fire even when dirty.

MLeake
November 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
... but my SaberDefense AR doesn't require oiling after it's been in the safe for a while. Works just fine. It's a good idea to run a dry patch, first, to remove any oil that was in the barrel during storage, but that's true of any rifle.

johnwilliamson062
November 6, 2009, 02:31 PM
can we just get an ar15 reliability gripe sticky and close all the new things that pop up...

NSO_w/_SIG
November 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
Never seen this kind of troll thread before:rolleyes:.

Funny that I've had expeirence with well over 100 different M16/Ar-15 examples and have never run into these problems people still post about in year 2009.

Are all these people still shooting Eugene Stoners first version of the platform or what?

KChen986
November 6, 2009, 02:44 PM
So...

When was the last time someone had an AR fail on them which was NOT due to a build defect?

Scorch
November 6, 2009, 02:45 PM
I have experience with the M16 style of rifle and my opinion has always been that its unreliable unless thoroughly cleaned. I've seen a lot of these jammed. However, the Mini-14 is so reliable and always works.Oh, be serious! Are you kidding??? That may be your opinion, but it has no foundation in fact or reality.

can we just get an ar15 reliability gripe sticky and close all the new things that pop up...Mr Chairman, I second the motion . . .

cbrgator
November 6, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have had 2 AR failures. Granted, they were caused by crappy ammo. I've never had a failure that was the AR's fault.

L_Killkenny
November 6, 2009, 02:54 PM
can we just get an ar15 reliability gripe sticky and close all the new things that pop up...

I'll throw in another vote for this one. Or better yet, just give them their own forum section so I don't have to be tempted by such BS. Please put it at the bottom of the forum index page!!

LK

Bartholomew Roberts
November 6, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'd have to look at my log book to be sure but I am around 4,000 rounds since my last stoppage (an XM193PD squib - which I am pretty sure would slow down most other .223 rifles as well). Said rifle has been cleaned once in the past year.

My experience has been that as long as you use decent ammo out of a decent magazine, all you need to do is add CLP every 400 rounds or so (you can actually use anything with remotely lubricating properties but some lubes require more frequent application and some less).

I think I am going to develop a canned response for these kinds of threads: "I am able to keep my AR15 running just fine without any special effort. I am sorry you are unable to do so and wish you the best of luck with whatever firearm makes you happy. In the meantime, I am always willing to accept free AR15s or their parts if you no longer wish to keep them."

NSO_w/_SIG
November 6, 2009, 03:16 PM
I see the OP started a thread exactly like this that got locked back about a year ago. So what is the point OP other than to troll the forum trying to get a rise out of people huh?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334117

Crosshair
November 6, 2009, 08:36 PM
I dislike the AR as much as any other AR hater, but was there some point you were trying to make? All I see is a few lines of incoherent rambling.

Yes the AR is not as inherently reliable or durable as the AK and Mini, though nowhere even close to the degree you claim. We've known this since the 1960's.

RT
November 6, 2009, 08:55 PM
I've never cleaned my 6920 and it has never failed. Pmags and lots of Slip 2000.

Art Eatman
November 6, 2009, 10:13 PM
E-bleeping-nuff...