PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Takedown Pins

Anthony
November 5, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone direct me to a top quality set of AR-15 takedown pins that allow you to assemble the upper and lower halves of the rifle very rapidly and without tools?

I have seen videos of people doing this, but all of my AR-15 have the standard pins and bolt (?) at the hinged portion that requires a screwdriver to remove.

I'd like to set a rifle up with more than one upper, but would like to keep the swapping as simple as possible without compromising the accuracy, reliability, and performance of the rifles as they are custom guns.

Thank you for your input.

- Anthony

tincanhunter
November 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
This may not have to do with the take down pins at all. It may have more to do with the springs that are behind the detent pins that apply pressure to the take down pins. A little oil on the take down pins can help. I've also noticed that it's easier to remove the upper by removing both take down pins simultaneously.

oldcspsarge
November 5, 2009, 10:44 PM
http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/misc.html

Yankee Hill Machine makes the best pins I have seen.

NSO_w/_SIG
November 6, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'd say it is less to do with the take down pins themselves and more to do with what brand lower/upper you have, and how worn in they are. When I first got my RRA it was very tight and very hard to get the pins out by hand. I have since sold that gun, not for that reason of course, but the 6 AR's I currently have and the 80 or so I work on, on the job, none require any thing other than a firm push with a finger to get off.

These include rifles from Colt, BCM, Stag, LaRue, Model1Sales (5.45)....

That being said here are a few options about what you asked for

http://www.riflegear.com/p-227-watsons-weapons-extended-takedown-pin.aspx

and as mentioned I hear these are good too.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/37/127

Bartholomew Roberts
November 6, 2009, 07:57 AM
Anthony, I am guessing you own older Colt rifles. These have the screwdriver type front pin you discuss and are one of the many compromises Colt made to keep the ATF happy. However, after all the other manufacturers continued to build ARs the old way, Colt has gone back to the normal push-pin upper/lower system and this is the dominant system on the market right now.

In addition to the screwdriver type pin, your pins will also be a different diameter than the most other ARs. There are several conversion kits to allow you to mate a small pin lower to your large pin Colt upper; but I don't know of any kits that just replace the large pins entirely.

If anybody would know where to find that, the folks at Specialized Armament Warehouse would.

Anthony
November 6, 2009, 09:03 AM
One of my AR-15s is a 1993 vintage Colt Lightweight Sporter I bought just before the AWB was passed. My second AR-15 is a recently built model custom built by my gunsmith using an Armalite receiver. It was built in 2008.

So the latter probably is a better choice for what I am thinking of doing.

Do the YHM pins referenced earlier in this thread stay captive in the receiver once they are pulled back or must they be removed completely?

Will these same pins work on an Armalite AR-10 or would this be one of those parts that does not interchange between the two designs?

I have a very nice AR-10 as well.

- Anthony

Alleykat
November 6, 2009, 03:42 PM
The YHM pins are captured. Not sure about pin size on AR10, but believe it's the same as AR15.