PDA

View Full Version : Need help with M1A Scout

Anthony CT
November 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
I took my new M1A out for the first time and while zeroing the gun it started to hang fire. Even when I removed the magazine and tried to fire it would not click untill I started to let off the trigger. Once the gun cooled it worked fine. I took it all apart andcleaned a re-lubricated it and once it got hot it started hanging up again. When I sqeez the trigger nothing happens, once I slightly let off the trigger the gun goes off. Only when it's hot like after ten to fifteen rounds. Has anyone ever herd of something like this?

Baba Louie
November 5, 2009, 07:35 PM
Have not heard of such things... so I'd certainly call Springfield Customer Service as I'm sure they'll fix it and tell you what and why once all is said and done.

nbkky71
November 5, 2009, 08:49 PM
Just so I'm clear... you pull the trigger and nothing happens. As you release the trigger, the hammer falls & the rifle fires?

If that's the case, then there's something wrong with the trigger, hammer or disconnector.

If you remove the trigger group, you can manually cock the hammer, pull the trigger and watch the engagement of the surfaces. Watch out for the hammer flying forward though! Some padding/wadding will cushion it. Make sure that there is nothing caught in the works that would interfere with the trigger, hammer and disconnector.

Anthony CT
November 5, 2009, 08:51 PM
Yea but it only happens when the gun heats up. would the heat affect the trigger mechanism?

SR420
November 5, 2009, 09:07 PM
Baba Louie Have not heard of such things... so I'd certainly call Springfield Customer Service as I'm sure they'll fix it and tell you what and why once all is said and done.

+1

Call Springfield!

essohbe
November 5, 2009, 11:05 PM
...it would not click untill I started to let off the trigger.

Then it fired, or just made the click sound without firing (hang-fire)?

If it is truly a "hang fire" then the firing pin is probably not gauged long enough to fully penetrate the primer on the cartriges.

Do you have any ejected "dud" rounds to examine? If there is a mark on the primer but it doesn't look like it went in enough, then the problem is the pin.

Where'd you get it (rifle)?

nbkky71
November 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
wow... really an odd problem. The rifle shouldn't be generating THAT much heat where it would affect the trigger group function.

If the rifle was purchased used, I too would question it's history and whether the previous owner had any modifications done. Regardless... looks like a job for SA, Inc.

If you know anyone with an M1A, I'd try swapping trigger groups and see if you can duplicate the issue.

azredhawk44
November 6, 2009, 12:49 PM
I bet the heat is a false corollary rather than a true indicator.

It's probably dirt, grit, blowback or some other pollution in the trigger group.

Disassemble, clean up the trigger assembly well, and do a function check of it while out of the rifle. Watch the little hooks in the back as they work.

If anything indicates a mechanical problem then send it to Springfield... or to a well known reputable M14 smith for a trigger job to resolve the problem. You'll only have to send the trigger group, so it won't cost an arm and a leg for shipping the whole rifle.

If you deal with Springfield, they'll want the whole rifle and it will cost a lot more to ship.

Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises has a trigger package called the "Crazy Horse" that is supposed to be very good. Walt Kuleck at Fulton Armory is a well regarded M14 smith. Phil Arrington with Arrington Accuracy Works is also well regarded.

Anthony CT
November 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the Info, the gun is dnew so I sent it back to SA, they said they would take care of the problem.