PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 buying question

usconcernedcitizen
November 5, 2009, 02:31 AM
Hi all,

I am looking to buy an AR-15, for mostly home defense.

I have one question.

What AR-15 is the best one for someone on a budget?
Preferably as low as possible, or at least under $1,000.00 after sales tax, etc.
Mil-Spec if possible too.

Any help, information, comments, recommendations, leads to used ones for sale, etc.
Would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

CC

NSO_w/_SIG
November 5, 2009, 03:55 AM
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=59

or you could piece together a http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

with a lower of your choice, here is one option....http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=312002&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dlower handguards, BCG and BUIS can all be had at Bravo Company ass well.

Also people have been reporting getting Colt 6920's right now for around $1k.

S&W's
Daniel Defense
Sabre
ect.. are all rifles I'd look at if I had $1k to spend.

Bottom line is right now for anyone with $1k and that is in the AR market. there is alot of quality rifels to be had.

gyvel
November 5, 2009, 04:33 AM
I am looking to buy an AR-15, for mostly home defense.

Isn't that a bit of overkill for home defense?

NSO_w/_SIG
November 5, 2009, 05:34 AM
Isn't that a bit of overkill for home defense?

What is this overkill you speak of?

In all seriousness, no it is not.

Some people may or may not agree with what is the best home defense weapon but regardless it is not overkill.

RT
November 5, 2009, 05:47 AM
On a budget, consider the S&W
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=81102X&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DSMWE

As for home defense:
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/penetr10.jpg

blume357
November 5, 2009, 06:16 AM
'Home Defense' to 'Homeland Defense'.

this would be more politically correct on this forum.

I would probably be easier to get a list of the brands and makes to stay away from.

gotigers
November 5, 2009, 09:29 AM
I like my S&W M&P15. It is my HD gun. Bonus, it is a great plinker and paper killer.

rjrivero
November 5, 2009, 09:37 AM
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=59

I'm a BIG fan of the Spider......:cool:

RT
November 5, 2009, 05:17 PM
^ I thought it was a wookie's face?

JAG06
November 5, 2009, 06:07 PM
PM sent.

NSO_w/_SIG
November 5, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'm a BIG fan of the Spider......

Agreed, Spikes is a great value.

benny27
November 5, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, there is nothing wrong with getting an Ar for sure. I would recommend Bushmaster, best gun for the money. While it is hard to get a good quality Ar for under 1k, it shouldn't be to far off from that. I bought a Bushmaster some odd years back and it seemed like it was around 1k after it was all said and done, great shooter to. If you're on a strict budget I wouldn't write off getting a good Ak. I got a really nice bulgarian style Ak made by the arsenal company for around 650 new in the box, and it is awesome. If the gun is strictly for home defense I would get a decent Ak if you just have to have an assault style rifle. It is much easier to just grab a pistol out of the nightstand drawer though, anyway good luck...;)

SR420
November 5, 2009, 06:58 PM
I agree with benny and I'll add that a slightly used Bushmaster AR would make a fine Homeland Defense Weapon (HDW).
I single out "slightly used" because you would have enough change leftover from your $1K to buy ammo and a few PMAGs.

My semi-auto HDWs include a variety of M14 rifles and a 7.62 AKM :)

NSO_w/_SIG
November 5, 2009, 07:01 PM
Bushmaster best value? Ha, you guys haven't been keeping up with the AR market for quite some time I see.

Bushmaster QC has gone to S, while there are several other companies that make better rifles, using better steel, for less. The ABC rule really no lnger applies in all instances.

SR420
November 5, 2009, 07:05 PM
Better for less?

Both my Colt and Noveske were "better", but the better rifles using better steel all had a bigger price tag.

NSO_w/_SIG
November 5, 2009, 07:16 PM
No I am not talking about Noveske or Colt.

But general consenses currently is that DD, Sabre, S&W, Spikes and BCM are better values, and that is just off the top of my head that people would rather have for less than or about = to Bushmaster prices.

I know Bushmaster still has it's fan base and still sell a lot of rifles but anyone that has had a chance to shoot alot of these different models will figure out Bushmaster just isn't a great value compared to what is now on the market.

benny27
November 5, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ar's are like boats and guitars, you can pour as much money as you like into them. Doesn't change the fact that you can catch fish out of any boat and play music with any guitar. Think about that. The intruder is not going to care about the quality of what he's being shot with. You can spend 3k on an Ar if you want, but an Ar that cost 850 is going to do the same thing, just a fact. My ford explorer will go anywhere that somebody else's cadillac escalade will go, etc etc... My point is don't get so caught up in "quality", unless you have money to burn of course..:D

SR420
November 5, 2009, 07:20 PM
You make good points... it's been a few years - maybe 10, since I purchased a BM.

usconcernedcitizen, shop for an older slightly used BushMaster

NSO_w/_SIG
November 5, 2009, 07:23 PM
But why spend $850 for a Bushmaster when you can put together a rifle with better quality parts for the same $$?

I am not saying BM is a bad gun just not a value anymore.

Alleykat
November 5, 2009, 07:47 PM
I currently own three ARs. As much as I really like shooting them, and enjoyed building two of them, I'm of the opinion that the chances of my ever using one for home defense purposes are somewhere between infinitesimal and zero, but probably a lot closer to zero. :cool:

Having said that, check out adcofirearms.com. Great guy to deal with and some really good deals on complete rifles right now. Several under $1000. No taxes, unless you happen to live in the same state as the vendor, and he only charges $4 shipping.

Here's a beauty for $849, that includes the RRA National Match trigger.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails_.cfm?inventorynumber=1328

NSO_w/_SIG
November 6, 2009, 04:28 AM
http://www.marksoutdoors.com/index.html

I was told you have to call, but this place has Colt 6920's for just under $1K

whiplash
November 6, 2009, 05:43 AM
I wouldnt rule out the DPMS Sportical. My partner has one, that has been flawless....He said he is on a budget, and as low as possible...

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=54

grumpa72
November 6, 2009, 07:15 AM
http://code4lesales.com/cgi-bin/listman/exec/search.cgi?search=1&lfield12_keyword=Rifles%20Colt&template=_search_results_colt_r.html

Code4 has Colt LE6920 for $1150 and the LE6940 for $1375. A bit pricier than you suggested but it is one of the "gold standards" in ARs. I have the 6920 and my son has the 6940. Wonderful weapons and they are Colts. If I could only buy one weapon and I wanted a rifle, I would choose my Colt.

Here is a fun article that gives one man's opinion on what is or should be in an AR. His opinion alone:
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462 Read carefully, grasshopper.

Oth, if I was interested in strictly defending my house, I would consider a 1911 .45 acp or a shotgun. However, the AR gives you the ability to defend the home and shoot the zombies when they are some distance from you.

Buzzcook
November 6, 2009, 02:42 PM
Buy one of the fine products from Olympic Arms and support the economy of Washington state.

Or get a shotgun for a fourth of the price and spend the rest on training.

rdmallory
November 6, 2009, 04:53 PM
$649 free shipping

Buds

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411537958
Doug

Nick-Mc
November 6, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'd reccomend a quick search of the Rifle forum, you'll find dozens of threads exactly like yours.

wmeSha
November 6, 2009, 09:41 PM
I've been very happy with my Rock River Arms midlength. Don't know what they go for now.

I'll also toss out CMMG as an option. If you are on a budget, I'd consider one of their bargain bin rifles. They always have them at our local gun show and seem like a pretty good deal.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=1984353&cat=161&

brentf
November 6, 2009, 09:50 PM
I had a bushmaster I was very happy with

tirod
November 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
Can the OP get back with us and describe his home defense situation? Urban apartment, or rural location? As said, a shotgun and the training could do as well. Or, an enlistment.

It will definitely change your address and give you an M4 to carry everyday in many cases. And get paid to do it.

Otherwise, there are no bargains on the market waiting to be found. There is enough demand from the public to keep prices higher than the utility value of the firearms. You have to want to buy an AR because of what it is - there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.

The AK, SKS, PTR, 870 pump, even the lever action .30-30 can do the job, and do it for a lot less.

At this point, it's a guess whether an AR is even appropriate. UNLESS, you just want one. At that point, more decisions: A2, M4, adjustable stock, flat top, 16-18-20 inch barrel, free float, 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, .308, . . .

"What's the best AR for home defense?" doesn't have an answer. Too many variables, too many suppliers, too many changing circumstances, too many alternatives.

usconcernedcitizen
November 7, 2009, 12:18 AM
To whom it may concern,

I am the original poster of this question (OP).

My current home defense situation is an apartment in the suburbs of Atlanta.
I am looking into moving into a different apartment, or maybe a house soon.

Due to the economy I am working, but on a tight budget.
As I do not get paid as much I should be.

As for enlistment, I tried to enlist when I was in my early 20's,
but when I had a physical at the induction center, I was turned down.
Due to a genetic hereditary skeletal anomaly I was born with.
So I was not eligible for military service, as much as I wanted to.
And now I am a 42 year old family man.

I am looking into an AR-15 for home defense, in case I am ever faced with a home invasion situation at some point (with multiple suspects, from what I
see in the news), or the conditions in this country get worse, and all hell breaks out loose into widespread revolution.
I have a duty, and a moral and social obligation to protect my family (Gf and children), myself, and my surrounding community from harm.

And I know my 9mm, will only go so far.
That is why I am looking into an AR-15, due to its reputation, firepower,
and popularity.

Thank you, have a good day,

CC

SLCBill
November 7, 2009, 01:05 AM
Well here is my two cents..... get a Semiauto Gas operated 20 gauge youth model shotgun. It will be easy to operate inside, hold enough to scare away anyone not combat trained and since its gas semi just point and press plus you can train anyone to use it and keep a flashlight with it or taped to it cause if you fire it in the dark you will go deaf and blind for about 20 seconds but that seems like forever in that situation. good luck.

RT
November 7, 2009, 07:22 AM
http://www.pkfirearms.com/select_options/new/1282

and another consideration to be different

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=356

GLK
November 7, 2009, 06:06 PM
Be sure and check out Stag Arms(my choice), their parent company CMT is a major player in AR parts. Hell on m4carbineDOTcom they had a post listing a source for Colt's model 6920 for $995.00. AR prices are way down except for a couple of very high end speciality shops.

BCM is as good a fighting gun as there is dollar for dollar. Do some homework and you'll see (as somebody else already stated)much easier to tell you who to avoid than who to buy from.

FWIW IMO an AR is the perfect home defense gun. But as with any gun practise and training are a must to fully utilize the AR.

Alleykat
November 7, 2009, 07:56 PM
Please be aware that firing an AR indoors without hearing protection will likely result in permanent hearing damage, particularly if you're fighting off multiple targets.

Stevie-Ray
November 7, 2009, 09:11 PM
Oth, if I was interested in strictly defending my house, I would consider a 1911 .45 acp or a shotgun. However, the AR gives you the ability to defend the home and shoot the zombies when they are some distance from you. Good point, and it's a 1911 in .45 ACP that I now use, as the distances in my house are quite small. In my new house, however, I believe my Colt 6721 will be taking on a much more interesting role as a Homeland Defense tool. Some areas of potential fire can be 12-15 yards, whereas now, nothing really tops 7. The new place is also in a rural area, which generally seem to smack of rifles and shotguns over the urban jungle weapon of choice, the pistol. I will say though, my sidearm will always be with me as it is now.

GLK
November 8, 2009, 12:23 AM
Please be aware that firing an AR indoors without hearing protection will likely result in permanent hearing damage, particularly if you're fighting off multiple targets.

FWIW firing any gun(indoors or out doors)without hearing protection will damage your hearing. Some calibers will damage it more and more quickly than others, but they all damage your hearing if fired without protection. Personally if it is a choice between a bit of hearing damage and injury to myself or my loved ones I'll take hearing damage every time. Additionally if I get into more than one fire fight at my current address I will move:).

blume357
November 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
I'll stay away from what you should really buy for your situation because I think what you are really doing is wanting an AR and using the home defense as an excuse.... don't take that the wrong way.... I do that often.

You want and AR15 and that is fine.

Just start looking at your local shops... plan to pay about a $100 or so more for local but support the local economy.

Here's the real deal.... I like what a previous poster said about not getting caught up in quality and such.... Heck, the truth is that even if you bought a dog of an AR... it can be fixed pretty easily. There are parts all over the place... and the only part that is a big deal is the basic raw frame of the lower.

Now, you have not mentioned this, but what you also need is a place to shoot the critter once you get it..... maybe you already have someplace...but that's part of the equation.... it needs to be close, cost effective and user friendly.

usconcernedcitizen
November 8, 2009, 03:30 PM
To: Blume357

No offense taken.

But I am looking to buy an AR-15 for exactly the reasons I have mentioned,
in my previous post. No other reasons.

Anyway,
Thank you everyone for all your comments, suggestions, and recommendations.

As for having a place to shoot it, because I will refuse to use it in a defense situation, unless I get myself adequate practice, training, and familiarity with the weapon first. As I have already done with my other guns.
I already know of shooting ranges I can go with it.

By the way, I am already aware of the possible hearing damage that can happen if firing a firearm indoors, without hearing protection.
And if I am in a defense situation, that is the last thing I will think or worry about.
Making sure everyone I am defending survives will be my 1st and most important priority.
Besides, my hearing is not exactly perfect now anyway, due to the damage that has already been done in the past, due to accidents, mishaps, etc.

I am an open, honest, straightforward, & intelligent person.
So when I say something, I mean what I say, and I say what I mean.
I do not have and do not believe people should have hidden agendas.

Have a good day, God bless everyone.

CC

Cruncher Block
November 8, 2009, 10:49 PM
I personally am not a fan of implications that anybody wanting to purchase an AR for personal defense is engaging in zombie-paranoid, SEAL-wannabe overkill. I see some of that on this forum and elsewhere.

The reasons that a 5.56 carbine makes a good choice for personal defense are some of the same reasons why police departments are choosing them. There are some significant differences between police and personal defense scenarios but, in both cases, reliability, quickness of handling, precision, and behavior of the ammunition are all advantages for the carbine.

Perhaps it would be good for someone to market a less "evil black rifle" than the AR-15 that still shared the desirable characteristics. The Mini 14 is probably the closest thing to that but it doesn't offer the sort of easy parts replacement, widespread free internet knowledge, and opportunities for training as the AR.

The situation being discussed is one that is statistically rare but with the highest stakes. I just don't see a problem with someone choosing a tool that provides the best possibility of getting through it.

I would encourage the OP to do some research into the (in)famous AR "chart" (see m4carbine.net) and understand why the features on it are desirable. Don't rush. Make the best choice based on the features that are applicable to your situation. At a minimum, to me, it seems one would insist on a chrome-lined barrel, true 5.56 chamber, 1/7 twist, and a quality bolt carrier group.

wmeSha
November 8, 2009, 11:23 PM
"it seems one would insist on a chrome-lined barrel, true 5.56 chamber, 1/7 twist"

I can agree that you'd want a 5.56 chamber (or something like the RRA 'Wylde' chamber). But I'd think for the purpose, a 1/9 twist would also be acceptable. How heavy are we intending to go on the bullet weight here?

I'm not sure why the chrome-lined barrel would be important at all, particularly given the desire to bring the rifle in under budget. It doesn't sound like this rifle is likely to see enough use to wear out the barrel, and I'm skeptical that "easier to clean" is actually that much of a difference.

usconcernedcitizen
November 9, 2009, 01:55 AM
To Cruncher Block,

Thank you for the email, information, and (looks to me) backup.

When I get to m4carbine.net, where do I find this "AR chart"?
I would like to learn as much as I can about this rifle, before I possibly buy one. So I can make a safe, educated, informed decision.
I also plan to get as much training as possible when I do get one, so I will know it inside and out, and be as safe as possible with it.

And I will say it again, As I want to make this perfectly clear:
I am looking into an AR-15 for only these reasons:

1) Home defense, in case I am ever faced with a home invasion situation at some point (with multiple suspects, from what I see in the news).
2) The conditions in this country get worse, and all hell breaks out loose into widespread revolution.
3) I have a duty, and a moral and social obligation to protect my family (Gf and children), myself, and my surrounding community from harm.

My family means more to me, then I mean to myself.
They are my responsibility, and it is my duty to protect them. And I swear on my life to do anything it takes to protect them.
I would take a bullet for any of them, I have taken bullets before. So I know what it is like, and I can handle it.

I am not paranoid, but I see what is happening around me either first hand, or on the local news, and I do not want any of that happening to us.
Also I too do not like the implication that anyone buying one for personal defense, is engaged in paranoid based overkill.

When a real man is a husband and father, it is his responsibility to do what I am trying to do. Any less would be a dereliction of his duties.

Now here is another question for all of you with an AR-15 rifle.
Why did you buy one?

Have a good night, and God bless all of you.

CC

GLK
November 9, 2009, 02:43 AM
I would take a bullet for any of them, I have taken bullets before. So I know what it is like, and I can handle it.

You may want to rethink that tactic.

Now here is another question for all of you with an AR-15 rifle.
Why did you buy one?

Because I could.

usconcernedcitizen
November 9, 2009, 04:09 AM
To GLK,

I have thought it through.
I would take a bullet for any member of my family,
because they are worth protecting at all costs.
And because they are my family and I love them.

Would'nt you take a bullet for any of your family?

Thank you for your reply, have a good night, God bless you,

CC

blume357
November 9, 2009, 05:39 AM
If the bad guy only had one shot and then the rules required him to leave after that shot, then I suppose the answer would be yes...

NSO_w/_SIG
November 9, 2009, 06:52 AM
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

Alleykat
November 9, 2009, 07:27 AM
I've recently started leaving my original AR, a Bushy Shorty, by my bed. I don't have any illusions that I'll ever use it inside my home, as I have a nice G26 with which I sleep, for that purpose. However, if Russian/Chinese/DemocRATic paratroopers land in my yard, my dogs will wake me up, and I'll at least have a glimmer of a chance to get them before they overrun my little domicile. ;)

johnwilliamson062
November 9, 2009, 08:59 AM
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cat=161

They did have M4s but they sold out.

I can't wait until the Red Dawn remake comes out and we get flooded with predictions of Chinese invaders and which AR is best to repel them questions.

CelticWolf
November 9, 2009, 10:34 AM
Thats some nice ballistics on that 308...

GLK
November 9, 2009, 10:35 AM
To GLK,

I have thought it through.
I would take a bullet for any member of my family,
because they are worth protecting at all costs.
And because they are my family and I love them.

Would'nt you take a bullet for any of your family?

I really shouldn't continue down this road and I bet this thread is locked sooner than later, but I just can't help myself sometimes. Nowhere in my tactics does it include me taking a bullet for anyone. I belong to the "let the other poor bastard(bad guy)die for his country/crimes" school of thought. I figure I am much better protection without bullet holes in me. Like I said you might want to rethink your tactics or at the very least your mindset.

guns and more
November 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
As someone who owns both, for home defense I would recommend a pump shotgun over an AR.
I love an AR for target and "cool" factor.
But when the rubber meets the road, give me a reliable shotgun.
Consider this:
1. Very small distance. 20' or less.
2. Fear of overpenetration. No good if you miss the perp and kill your neighbor's kid.
3. Spread of bullet. Shotgun = multiple pellets spreading out. AR = 1 bullet, tiny.
4. Cost. AR = $1000 for a gem. Shotgun = $300 for a gem.

Personally, I have mine loaded with #4 buck, reduced recoil, 2 3/4".
But if I had a wife, it would be .410 ga., #3 buck. 2 1/2".

Cruncher Block
November 9, 2009, 09:52 PM
I can agree that you'd want a 5.56 chamber (or something like the RRA 'Wylde' chamber). But I'd think for the purpose, a 1/9 twist would also be acceptable. How heavy are we intending to go on the bullet weight here?

I'm not sure why the chrome-lined barrel would be important at all, particularly given the desire to bring the rifle in under budget. It doesn't sound like this rifle is likely to see enough use to wear out the barrel, and I'm skeptical that "easier to clean" is actually that much of a difference.

Fair points. My argument in favor of 1/7 is that it makes the widest variety of common ammunition usable -- the 75 grain Hornady TAP load, for example. If someone had decided on 55 grain or 62 grain beforehand, 1/9 would be reasonable. Even then, I understand some 1/9 barrels can stabilize the heavier bullets just fine.

I kind of consider the barrel and BCG to be the core of the AR so that's the stuff I want to spend money on. Personally, I do buy into the easy to clean argument for chrome lining but others may have different experiences. My fundamental point is to understand the "why" of the different features and make an educated decision.

usconcernedcitizen
November 9, 2009, 09:53 PM
To GLK:

Thank you for the reply.
I respect your opinion on this subject.
But if it was a choice of who gets that bullet either a member of my family
or me.
Then for the sake of them living, I would take the bullet.
If I happen to expire from that bullet, so be it, at least they would live.
If I happen to not expire from that bullet, then so much the better.

But if they are nearby if I am ever in a firefight, then I will do whatever I can, to make sure they do not get hit, even if it means taking the bullet myself.

Like I said, I love my family, and will do whatever it takes to make sure they do not get hurt.

But hopefully in a situation like that, I would have gotten the perp (bad guy) first before he ever gets off a shot.
Also, if I knew there was a fire fight coming soon, and I had time to prepare, I would be wearing my body armor.

Thank you, have a good night, and God bless you,

CC

usconcernedcitizen
November 9, 2009, 10:22 PM
To: Guns and more

Thank you for your reply and recommendation.

With all due respect, since I love my family more than a "cool" factor.
I just want the the proper weapon for home defense.

One reason I am leaning toward an AR instead of a shotgun is,
I will admit it, due to genetics (Thanks dad), I am a lightweight of a person.
Even though I am strong for my frame.

I have seen the recoil come out of a shotgun, and I am concerned if I fire one, it will knock me off my feet.
And I understand and have seen the recoil coming off an AR to be less.
(please correct me if I am wrong about that though)

But besides that, if I choose a shotgun, what shotgun would you consider a gem?
Also, what AR would you consider a gem?

Thank you,

CC

guns and more

Posts: 81 As someone who owns both, for home defense I would recommend a pump shotgun over an AR.
I love an AR for target and "cool" factor.
But when the rubber meets the road, give me a reliable shotgun.
Consider this:
1. Very small distance. 20' or less.
2. Fear of overpenetration. No good if you miss the perp and kill your neighbor's kid.
3. Spread of bullet. Shotgun = multiple pellets spreading out. AR = 1 bullet, tiny.
4. Cost. AR = $1000 for a gem. Shotgun = $300 for a gem.

Personally, I have mine loaded with #4 buck, reduced recoil, 2 3/4".
But if I had a wife, it would be .410 ga., #3 buck. 2 1/2".

cerberus65
November 9, 2009, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't worry about a shotgun knocking you off your feet - unless you're standing with your weight back on your heels when you pull the trigger. Reduced recoil 00 buckshot (8 or 9 pellet) has approximately the same muzzle energy as a .223. And shotguns tend to be heavier than an AR and that makes the felt recoil even less.

I'm a tall, thin guy but I decided on a 12 ga. for home defense. See if you can shoot one before you make a decision. It just might change your mind. Especially once you compare the prices. My 870 Express was less than $300. An AR is going to cost you three times that much.

And one other thought... If you ever did have to shoot a home invader, which weapon would you rather have as Exhibit A? A shotgun or a scary, military-looking so-called "assault" rifle. Might not make a difference but I'd rather have my plain jane, un-accessorized shotgun on the table.

Good luck with your choice!

Alleykat
November 10, 2009, 10:43 AM
If you ever did have to shoot a home invader, which weapon would you rather have as Exhibit A? A shotgun or a scary, military-looking so-called "assault" rifle. Might not make a difference but I'd rather have my plain jane, un-accessorized shotgun on the table.

As long as you're not living in a sissy state, run by pusillanimous pansy Democrats, then what difference would your choice of weapon make, from a legal liability standpoint? :eek:

FWIW, and that might not bee much, I own several shotguns and several ARs. I feel much more comfortable, within the confines of my house, depending on my daily carry G26 for h.d.

cerberus65
November 11, 2009, 03:59 PM
Good point, Alleykat. You made me think. And I realized that I don't live in a state like that. We have civil immunity if the police declare it a valid self-defense situation. Happiness!

And back to the OP...

Come back and let us know what you decide to get. And pics are always appreciated. :-)

Stevie-Ray
November 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
pusillanimousNow that's a word I haven't heard since I watched Lost in Space as a kid.:D

guns and more
November 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
I would get a decent pump shotgun for home defense before an AR, but I think in your price range a M&P-15 or a Bushmaster are both nice.

To me an AR is for when you need to "reach out and touch someone", whereas
a shotgun is well suited to the 20' home defense situation.

But that's just me.

Get both.

usconcernedcitizen
November 12, 2009, 12:14 AM
To whom it may concern,

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions, advice, etc.

After much reading all your posts, and much thought.

I am going to look again, into a pump shotgun.

Someone said for about $300 I could find a "gem" of a shotgun.

Can anyone recommend a good for home defense pump shotgun for about $300.00?
Than.
And more details about the low recoil shells, so if I go that route,
I will be able to find it at the gun shop.

Thank you, have a good day, God bless you,

CC

tirod
November 12, 2009, 01:02 AM
A good used Remington 870 pump Police is always in demand. Mossbergs are equally regarded.

I believe Hornady makes reduced recoil ammunition in their TAP line marketed to law enforcement. Since the intended user isn't attempting to take down ducks at 60 yards, the makers use a propellant and load more effective at typical street distances of 20 feet to 20 yards.

I'm selling my shotgun for money toward building an AR I will use. They are expensive - but it will also do a better job for me. Having used an HK91, .30-06 bolt action, and .30-30 lever, I have decided a 16" mid-length AR in 6.8 x 43 would be a better tool deer hunting. Semi automatic, light recoil, light weight, sufficient power, and familiarity all figure in. Plus, the complete freedom to build it exactly as I want.

A pump is manual, has heavy recoil, is awkward indoors, has more power than I need, and is unfamiliar. Fine for those who like them, I'd rather have something else.

If your prime recreational firearm is also your home defense weapon, you'll be familiar with it and can use it effectively. It also means having less money tied up in something that isn't being useful. If cash flow is a consideration, and those with families know it is, then the most expedient choice is often the only choice.

cerberus65
November 12, 2009, 07:14 AM
good for home defense pump shotgun for about $300.00
Remington 870 Express

And low recoil shells:

Remington Managed Recoil 8 pellet 00 buck and Federal Power-Shok 9 pellet 00 buck are both great, light loads. They feel like 1 oz. target loads of bird shot. I can find both locally for about $5 for a box of 5. For practice I'll shoot some 00 buck and usually a lot more of equivalent power bird shot. The bird shot shells are 6 or 7 dollars for a box of 25.