PDA

View Full Version : New To The Sport

Quick Draw
October 28, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, My name is Jason. I am new to the site and am looking to get into competitive handgun shooting. I'm 31 and have been shooting since I could walk, I have competed all my life but only in trap and skeet shooting. I plan to start shooting in USPSA comps shortly. I was just looking for any advice you could offer a new comer to the sport? I plan on getting a Para to compete with but am a little unsure on the model that would be best. Any help would be great..thanks

Field
October 29, 2009, 01:34 AM
you look at the different divisions you can compete in?

which one would you like best?

you watch any videos?

lmccrock
October 29, 2009, 07:05 AM
You might pick the division, then the gun. A "Para" could go into different divisions depending on the model.

Regardless, check out the Brian Enos forums (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?), which also has BEginners Forums, near the top.

Lee

Ronbert
October 29, 2009, 08:15 AM
Shoot what you already own to learn about the sport. THEN upgrade your equipment.

When I was shooting IPSC I often out-scored guys who'd invested heavily in their equipment instead of practicing shooting. You can go a LONG way using stock equipment. I shot my SA 1911 from a nylon Uncle Mike's holster.

No matter how fancy your gun, when you are at the line for the very first time when the start buzzer goes off- you'll go blind and your brain will quit :-)
Might as well get that out of the way before spending a lot of $$ :-)

Quick Draw
October 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help guys...im looking over all the divisions right now. Right now I actually dont own any handguns...just have a small fortune invested in shotguns and rifles. Im going to take your advise and pick a division and then go from there. Thanks again