PDA

View Full Version : need help picking AR-15

bdturner
October 28, 2009, 09:44 PM
Ok guys need some help picking an AR-15. I have a choice between a DPMS with a 16"ss barrel OR a Rock River competion rifle 20" heavy ss barrel. I am looking for a rifle for #1 coyotes and #2 deer. I am leaning toward the RR and get a 6.8 spc upper later. What do you guys think?

Skyyr
October 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
Between the two, Rock River blows DPMS out of the water in terms of quality. Anyone that says otherwise either 1) owns a DPMS and is trying to sell you on a gun they have or 2) simply haven't compared the two.

cerberus65
October 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
Be sure to check your hunting regs, .223 is not legal for deer in every state. And many folks here on this board don't think it's enough even if it is legal. I personally prefer .243 and above. But to each his own.

As for which AR... Will you deer hunt in a stand? Or stalking through the woods? The 20" heavy barrel would be fine in a stand but prob. not so happy getting lugged through the woods. The 6.8 SPC sounds like just the trick for deer. I've been very interested in the cartridge myself. You'll be calling coyotes in so the heavier barrel is no problem there.

So I guess I lean towards the RRA and holding off on the deer until you get the 6.8 upper.

cjmorgan00
October 28, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'm so tired of everyone nitpicking every detail. Go with the rr. Nice reputable manufacturer.dpms isn't bad either way your good just make sure its 6.8spc

bcarver
October 28, 2009, 10:25 PM
get the rra 20" for coyote and competition.
get 6.8 upper for deer.

bdturner
October 28, 2009, 11:18 PM
Ok another quick question a Colt H bar match is now another option. Should I take the Colt MT6700 over the Rock River? I will only use the AR for coyotes until I get a 6.8 upper I already have a Ruger Ranch rifle in 6.8spc great little caliber.

Annie O
October 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
Can you help me find a good condition used M-4 for my daughters Christmas
present?

GLK
October 29, 2009, 12:31 AM
The Colt H-bar Match is a heavy very high quality AR, it is the best of the three for several reasons. The RRA is a heavy good quality AR If all three are same price and that price is reasonable it is a no brainer, snag the Colt.

BTW If your shooting the coyotes from a stand or set fine, but you won't want to walk far at all lugging either the RRA or the Colt H-bars.

My only experience with DPMS was from long ago and it was not satisfactory. They are one of the leading proponents of AR hunting(with the appropriate caliber). I know several DPMS owners that have recent examples of DPMS models and are completely satisfied.

In any case let us know and see what you end up getting when the getting is done.

Txhillbilly
October 29, 2009, 02:14 AM
My vote is for the RRA. I have a RRA 20" Varmiter and it is a great rifle,their NM Trigger is hard to beat,and I would put their quality up against any other mfg.
Colt makes a nice gun also,but to me you are paying for a name,not quality.
DPMS also makes a nice gun,but I know a few guys that have had issues with them,but DPMS did cover them with no problems.
I have two DPMS lowers that I assembled and they were top Quality stripped lowers.

mrnkc130
October 29, 2009, 04:57 AM
My vote is for the rock river, I would think for your need the 20" would be better, ofcourse when you get your 6.8 upper either lower will work with it.

Colt makes a nice gun also,but to me you are paying for a name,not quality

I agree with that, i bought an hbar II a few years ago. not even close to worth the price difference for a comparable rifle.

WeedWacker
October 29, 2009, 05:00 AM
While I don't own a complete RRA my build has a RRA lower. As far as I can tell it's got fantastic spec to it, tight fit on mags, no rattle or slop with the upper. Very good quality.

Alleykat
October 29, 2009, 08:10 AM
I'd go with the RRA. I've been building ARs for a while now, and I've found no problems with RRA. Here's a varmint AR I built that includes a RRA 18" varmint barrel. Can't imagine that some dolt on an assembly line @ Colt could do better than I! :cool:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Walteridus/IMG_0046.jpg

notorious_ar15
October 29, 2009, 09:10 AM
Another vote for RRA over the Bushy.

You can buy other uppers later (even from another manufacturer) and change them out as you see fit.

thinkingman
October 29, 2009, 11:05 AM
RRA no question for a shooter.
Colt if you want to flip it later...people will pay stooopid $ for a Colt.

sneaky pete
October 29, 2009, 11:59 AM
old Sneaky Pete here: Several years ago I bought the DPMS A-2 N/M upper to use for Service rifle matches and never have had any issues with it. shoots MOA 10 shot groups-supported with my 55gr Hornady V-Max(MOLY) handloads @ 3150FPS. What's not to like??? I've always had good C/S from DPMS--sems like a good company to do business to me. But who know??? THANX--SNEAKY :)

168 grain
October 29, 2009, 02:24 PM
In my opinion if both guns were set up similar and same price I would go with the RR. I would wonder if both have free float tubes. Is one gas system a carbine and the other a mid? I have a feeling the 16" is a carbine length system. I would prefer the mid length gas system. I imagine the RR has a mid length DI system and the DPMS probably has a carbine. Do they both have free float tubes? If one does and the other doesn't your probably looking at a 200 bill to change that and the possibility of a new gas block. I prefer the free float, others may not. I would also prefer the heavy 20" barrel. Also, I know I hated the trigger on my DPMS but yours may not be the same. RR, I am told and would have you research, has a better trigger. In my neck of the woods whether it is true or not RR seem to have better resale. In defense of my DPMS every time I pulled the trigger it went bang, nothing came loose but I hated the trigger when it was precision shooting time.

GONIF
October 29, 2009, 02:47 PM
RRA would be good ,better than DPMS. but it is not humane to take deer with a 223 IMHO.:o if your buying an RRA check with Pete at Legal Transfers he has the best RRA service and price .

Quentin2
October 29, 2009, 03:19 PM
Annie O: Can you help me find a good condition used M-4 for my daughters Christmas present?

If the info here didn't help you might want to start a new thread on this. Good luck in your search...

zenmtnman
October 31, 2009, 12:01 AM
Get the RRA, and get it in 6.8 spc in mid-length...easier on the action, and you'll never regret it. Had mine for almost a year, and love it more each time I take it to the range. One caveat, take up handloading the cartridge, as it can get expensive to buy it.
Good Luck!
If you want some pictures, I can post them here if you'd like.

Sasquatch in MN
October 31, 2009, 12:07 AM
Had poor performance with the 6.8SPC on deer a couple years ago, but I believe it was the Remington ammo rather than the caliber based on further research. I'm contemplating ordering another DPMS 6.8SPC upper and giving it another go with Silver State or handloads.

I have DPMS, Bushmaster, COlt, and RRA Ar's in my collection andtruly cannot tell a quality difference. The DPMS tubes tend to be more accurate, but I shot them more.

RRA, DMPS, Colt, Bushmaster would all be good choices for an entry level AR.

chadwick76
October 31, 2009, 02:09 AM
don't go dpms, i just got my upper back for the second time and it looks like crap. dont have pics yet, sorry, but i cannot wait to sell this pos, with a new barrel:) yea, never spend money on crap, rock river is a good company and yes, i do own one.

bdturner
October 31, 2009, 09:48 PM
I went with the Colt MT6700. The trigger is great. I believe I made the right choice.

GLK
October 31, 2009, 10:34 PM
Great choice, you won't regret it. Post some photos when you add some personal touches.

Stevie-Ray
November 1, 2009, 04:45 PM
You made the right choice for sure.

brian923
November 1, 2009, 04:59 PM
i had the same colt you have now. a great rifle. mine ate up any 55 grn ammo and gave good results. dont use wolf. its sucks, and you run the chance of ruining the tight tolarance on your colt hbar barrel. most 6700's were not chrome lined. did i mention that wolf sucks!?!

i flipped my colt so that i could build my own rifle. there was nothign wrong with it, but as mentioned above, i got enough money for it to build a completely custom rig with am awsome barrel. besides i was able to buy it at a stupid low price of 500.00, and it was brand new, never fired. looking back, i should have hung onto it, and never shoot it as i could have probably got 4 times the money i paid. but rifles were ment to be shot, not stored in the corner. :D it will serve you well. you made a good choice.

+1 on the pics. lets see it!!!

RockyMtnTactical
November 1, 2009, 10:41 PM
I would go with the RRA.