PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Scope Mount?

tdmoparguy
October 28, 2009, 02:24 PM
Does anyone make a scope mount for the M1 Garand that allows you to still use the iron sights for close up and offsets to the left so you can still use 8-round en-block clips?

sneaky pete
October 28, 2009, 08:02 PM
old Sneaky Pete here: At first I tried the traditional--Left Side offset mount--like the M1-C or /D sniper Garands but when I read the installation instructions I found that I had to remove the rear sights to install the base- now they said that the rear peep/aperature would be set for 200yds, so I sent it back and went with A Scout Mount and a Long Eye Relief pistol scope. Fulton Armory sells the Scout mount as does the CMP. I obtained one from the CMP for I think $119 and asked a fellow that lived close to Anniston Al. to get one for me the next time he went there( sent him the money to cover the costs). The Scout Mount replaces the rear hand-guard(which you can save if you ever want to restore your Garand back to origional configuration). Initially I went with a Weaver Classic Pistol-4X28( $159 @ Midway USA) and used Warne quick release rings--so if the scope failed-just pop off the Q/R rings and use the iron sights as usual. That set-up worked good but later I upgraded to a Burris 3X12X32 LER pistol scope W/a BCD redicle and l sighted the thing in this past weekend and I.m real happy with the set-up. I carried a Garand in the Marines in the '50s and with my crappy eyes this rig works good. I'm getting ready to kill ferral pigs on a buddies 7000 ac ranch in central Florida that are causing a lot of damage. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. THANX--SNEAKY :)
OBTW--With the Scout Mount clip loading and case ejection is just like normal CUZ the mount is in front of the receiver

bamaranger
October 29, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yeah the offset to the left turned me off too, and when and if I ever do it, I'll go LER. The Ultimak is the mount I've looked at.

Sneaky,
I have thought about a LER scope on a Garand, or even a Tanker, but have never done it. Yeah the eye thing is catching up w/ me too.

Post something after your hog hunt. With 8rd of .30, you will be bad news for any hogs encountered. Hope you don't have to hump the Garand to far.
Ever notice they don't "really" seem as heavy as they are. For half the day, anyhow!

sneaky pete
October 29, 2009, 09:01 AM
Old Sneaky back: Boy--I hate to poop in your mess gear- but "Humping" the old Garand comes second nature to an old Brown Shoe Marine. I even got an "Origional" repro of the Cartridge belt from a Canvas company that were making them for the Gov during WW-II--they are Exactly the same as the ones I humped with including the little additional canvas snap-link strap that held the 8 round clips tight and then the regular flap cover, and a surplus 1st aid case that we always carried our cigarette packs in. My Garand is a Jan-'43 SA that was a Danish return that has a '60 VAR barrel that I got from CMP several years ago for $425+s&h. I've Tweeked t up making sure that there are no rubs on the OP rod and had it recrowned and a trigger job and installed a Schuster adj, gas plug that I tuned for tight groups and am getting 1>1-1/4" 10 shot groups supported @ 100. Hope all you guys enjoy shooting the old war horse as much as I do. THANX--SNEAKY :)

notorious_ar15
October 29, 2009, 09:12 AM
The Fulton or CMP scout scope mounts work well and are super easy to install.

bamaranger
October 30, 2009, 01:40 AM
I didn't want to start a LER post again. REgards the muzzle recrown:

I have a Springfield CMP rifle, rebarreled LMR with a good bit of muzzle wear.
It will not pass a bright ring test, w/ loaded cartridge. I'm believing there's a gauge for this but don't know for sure.

Darn rifle still shoots about 2.5 MOA w/ my best loads, but I have thought hard about recrowning , what say you.

BTW I have never humped a Garand for Uncle, never in the military. Sure didn't want to be a "poser" here and give anybody the wrong impression.
But I have been a Garand fan for a long time, own two.

My comment was intended to mean that the Garand just seems lighter than it is.Handsome rifles too!

I deer hunt some w/ mine. After about a half day, I think about some 18-25 year old toting those rifles, or a BAR for gosh sake, across France/Germany, or the hills of Korea, and wonder........

That's part of it for me, when I take mine out, both of are mid WWII rifles, who knows what they've seen, where they've been???????

sneaky pete
October 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
old Sneaky back ; As above never considered it Hell I'd hump my Garand all day long now on my 2 artificial knees(THANX UNCLE SAM) and still get a kick ot of shooting it. Altho I like my ARs and that m-41/B Swedish Sniper rifle is a hoot to shoot(1924 Carl Gustav--all origional/as issued) there's nothing like a Garand. A good gunsmith won't have any trouble re-crowning that barrel. and the CMP or Fulton Arm. Scout mount with a LER/Pistol scope is just what the doctor ordered for us "Old Guys" with crappy eyes. THANX--SNEAKY :)

Sasquatch in MN
October 31, 2009, 12:00 AM
NICE set-up, but adds a bit too much weight for my tastes.

brian923
October 31, 2009, 08:14 PM
been wanting to play with my garand, but lost my job awhile back, so i havent been able to do anything with it yet. soon, soon. i can get its smokey bore to shoot sub 2 MOA with federal 150 soft points. i know, i have to get the schuster valve, but it shoots awsome. beautiful rifles.

Thanks to all who fought for my freedom. Thank you. Brian.