PDA

View Full Version : What's the CLOSEST you've ever shot a deer?

2DaMtns
October 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
I remember before nearly everyone hunting had to run out and buy a 48mm quadruple extra ultra mega magnum to take a white tail deer at 2.39 miles, people used to use sensible cartridges and there was more honor in taking a close shot than one at driving ranges (with a car, not a golf club). This was when people went hunting instead of shooting. I am not knocking long range shooters, and I recognize that it takes a good skill set, and also admit that I do not have that skill set, only because I have never practiced it, as I have absolutely no use for it where I hunt. But anyway, my question, in remembrance of the art of hunting, what are the closest ranges you've ever shot a deer? I don't think I've ever shot one at more than 60 or maybe 75 yards, and the closest one was at about 8-10 yards. I am mainly talking rifle ranges, but you can include pistol and archery ranges also, but let's leave it to on-the-ground hunts, not in blinds or stands.

ninjatoth
October 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
I went on my first hunt and took my first deer last November.I shot it front on from about 30 yards away and dropped it legs up.I was using a .270 weatherby magnum with a high powered scope,not meant for that close,but it worked.

DRice.72
October 27, 2009, 09:57 AM
I have never shot a deer. I did shoot squirrel at about 10 yrds when I was a kid with my dad's savage turkey gun. It was an old savage breach loader 12 ga.. I was 10 yrds away, but I think the barrel was only 6" from the little varmint. He had it loaded with some heavy shot, it nearly flipped me over! Not long after I shot it I got my first lesson in respect for nature.....One I did deserve, the biggest piece of that squirrel I found was the tail.

Sam06
October 27, 2009, 10:00 AM
I shot a deer at about 20' once. It was right at the bottom of my tree stand. I shot straight down at it with a 44 Mag revolver. I aimed for the base of the neck and it dropped DRT.

My Grand Pa killed a deer with an Axe once. He was chopping wood and I was along. He sent me into the woods with my 22 to shoot some squirrels for dinner. Well I scared up a deer and it took off running at my Grand Pa. I mean it ran right at him. He hauled off and hit it in the head with an axe he was using to buck off tree limbs. I came up and he finished it off with a bash in the neck. It was Deer season and he had a license. It was a young spike and he was very tasty. Grand ma cooked him up good. So I guess I can say I have seen a deer killed in Hand to Hand combat:D

That Deer must have been Crazy messing with Grand Pa. He was a WW1 Marine vet and was about 6'3". He had hands as big as Base Ball gloves. He looked like a cross between LBJ and John Wayne tough as the bark on a hickory tree. I miss him.

Brian Pfleuger
October 27, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ground only?

3 ft from the gun, one at about 25 feet, almost every deer I've ever shot was under 30 yards.

2DaMtns
October 27, 2009, 10:08 AM
Let's keep it to the on-the-ground only, please.

Buzzcook
October 27, 2009, 10:32 AM
15' give or take. btw a scope at 15' is not helpful.

Sam06
October 27, 2009, 10:35 AM
From the ground, maybe 20yds. It was early in the season and I was easing along a ridge in Western Washington state near Pe-el. I shot a 3 point(western count) Blacktail. Gun used was a Pre 64 Winchester 30WCF with a Lyman Peep sight with handloaded 130gr Speer FNSP bullet at about 2100fps. One shot through the head. I had been in the woods maybe 45 min and was going to where I thought I would see some deer. It was a chance encounter. There was a road at the bottom of the ridge maybe 500yds away and a log truck was driving by. The deer was totally focused on the log truck and never knew I was there. I pulled a lot of deer out of those woods and Elk too when I was stationed there in the 80's. Beautiful Country after you get over the rain.

ZeroJunk
October 27, 2009, 10:49 AM
I shot a good 9 point at about 10 yards with a 300 WBY LOL. I was sitting on the ground. They get a little stupid in the rut.

ninjatoth
October 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
I shot a good 9 point at about 10 yards with a 300 WBY LOL. I was sitting on the ground. They get a little stupid in the rut.

My deer was walking right at me,paying no attention at all,just sniffing and looking for does.If I had not shot him he would have walked right into the blind.

ninjatoth
October 27, 2009, 11:07 AM
wait,did I read that right?A 300 wby?!That's like shooting it with 2 30-30s at the same time!Was anything left?

CajunBass
October 27, 2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe 10-15 yards, but I could have killed at least one closer than that. I was on top of a brush pile when a doe ran into the lap and crawled literally between my legs. I could have bayonetted her.

Willie Lowman
October 27, 2009, 11:11 AM
About 10 yards.

It was the first time my little cousin had gone hunting. He was sitting about 10 feet to my left. A buck ran along the ridge top, my cousin shot at it. The buck turned and ran straight at him. He shot a second time and the buck stopped. I looked at my cousin, he was trembling visibly and had not pumped his gun again. I wasn't going to give the buck a chance to gore my cousin so I shot it. Dropped like a rock, I hit it in the spine, was aiming for the vitals. I was a little shook up too. :D

troy_mclure
October 27, 2009, 11:17 AM
was aiming at a deer about 100yds away across the ridge with my knight m/l. i see something out of the corner of my eve and a doe walked right in front of the gun 10' away. smoke was coming out of the hair for a good five mins.:D

Yankee Doodle
October 27, 2009, 11:17 AM
A measured 18 feet. As it happened, I was actually in the process of urinating at the time. Saw deer, picked up gun, shot deer, zipped pants, dressed deer, went home.
Laughing all the way back.

Daryl
October 27, 2009, 11:19 AM
I shot a young whitetail buck at 6 yards once with a 7mm rem mag. I shot it through the neck to save meat.

I've shot far more deer under 75 yards than I have at ranges beyond that mark, but it's nice to have the skills and rifle to handle longer shots when they become necessary.

Daryl

JKump
October 27, 2009, 04:20 PM
About 10 feet. We walked right up to each other. He lost. When I shot him he ran right at me and ran by me with in arms reach. (yes, I had to clean my pants:eek:) To this date it was the biggest deer I have taking. just dumb luck. It was the beginning of the Rut and his mind was else where.

rantingredneck
October 27, 2009, 04:25 PM
I shot a 9 pointer in self defense once. He was about 8-10 feet away and running right toward me. 18 pellets of 00 buckshot changed that.

From a tree stand I shot an 8 pointer with a bow straight down. I was 15 feet up the tree.

DiscoRacing
October 27, 2009, 04:38 PM
last year I shot a huge doe that was so close that I nearly missed it with my .06. We stepped it off and it was round 15 ft... Now thats a long shot:eek::D

mtnbkr
October 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
If six feet isn't too far from ground level (I set my stand just high enough to get me over the brush), I shot my closest deer last season at about 20yds. I haven't take a shot yet over 50yds.

Chris

cornbush
October 27, 2009, 07:56 PM
About 40 feet almost straight down into the top of the shoulders and came out the brisket. I was on a cliff and a little 2 point muley let me see him below me, oops. The gun was a .54 caliber hawken with a patched round ball.

Bigjim3
October 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
About 10 feet. Top of ladder stand to under the ladder stand straight down..

BurkGlocker
October 27, 2009, 08:10 PM
I was hunting in Harper, TX on a patch of land that my ex-wife's cousins took care of. I was in the blind, and somehow **cough cough** fell asleep, and I was awaken by the feeder going off. When I came to, focused, and looked around, there were about 50 deer standing 20 yards off. I looked for the biggest deer I could find when I heard something sniffing next to me. There was a buck literally looking right next to me about 2 foot away. I couldve taken my knife out and cut his throat, he was that close. I didnt move, and let him walk in front of the blind. A good 10-pointer. He wasnt 15' in front of the muzzle of my rifle before I popped him. So close, I didnt even really have to aim. After a 150 grain slug from my .300 Mag, he didnt move another inch. The otehr deer jsut stood there and kept on eating, like they didnt care. I rechambered a round, picked out a doe, and laid her out as well. Two shots, two deer, two minutes, two tags filled.

spanky411
October 27, 2009, 08:55 PM
I sorry I cant get in on this, I have never shot a deer, I love small game hunting, and turkey, but once I hit one with my chevy s-10 at point blank bumper and knocked him about 40 feet, thats all I got :D

murphyboy88
October 27, 2009, 10:12 PM
two hunting seasons ago i jumped up an antelope my uncle had wounded about an hour earlier, since i had already harvested my antelope i wasnt carrying a gun, my uncle shot his 3 shots left in his gun at it ( he is not known for marksmanship) since the antelope was moving slow and we had no more bullets we ran it down and i killed it with my knife.. i recon thats pretty close

Fat White Boy
October 27, 2009, 10:54 PM
I was pig hunting on the Tejon Ranch just north of Los Angeles. I was walking across a hill when a cow elk walked out of a brush thicket 10 yards below me... She never knew we were there...

Tom Servo
October 27, 2009, 11:04 PM
Four meters. We paced it out. It was in heat and had come crashing through the brush into my back yard. I didn't know what the heck was going on, and I grabbed my gun.

It burst through the brush and I shot. It went about six steps before falling.

Funny sidenote: a few years ago, I was shooting with friends at a rural outdoor range. In the middle of a string, a buck walked right in front of the backstop. Everyone just froze. After about twenty seconds, he noticed all the humans with guns and bolted.

It was odd that nobody shot, but when we talked about it later, everyone seemed to think that doing so would have been somehow "wrong."

zahnzieh
October 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
Does hitting them with spit count? Had a stupid spike buck below me in the creek under my stand. I was tempted to spit on his ears - "hmm smells like human!" I let him go.:)

Rangefinder
October 28, 2009, 12:50 AM
How about point-blank? Had a broken scope mount on my 7mm the night before I left for a hunt. Had to take my .32 Winchester instead. Tied my guilly suit full of orange marking ribbon, flopped out at the edge of a willow stand, and had a young whitetail walk right up, sniff me, and then graze right next to me. No aiming necessary, I literally scorched hair on his side with hot gas from the muzzle.

hogdogs
October 28, 2009, 07:59 AM
In the middle of a string, a buck walked right in front of the backstop.

It was odd that nobody shot, but when we talked about it later, everyone seemed to think that doing so would have been somehow "wrong."
Yesterday 11:54 PM

HEY! Call me Jack Kevorkian... Dude wants to commit suicide... Who am I to stop him...:D
Brent

Uncle Buck
October 28, 2009, 08:49 AM
I shot three deer with-in 25 feet of me. The first one was a doe, the biggest of the three. I shot her and she fell, the two yearlings with her ran off. Then they stopped and came back to her. I shot one of them and then the third one ran off a ways. When it walked back to the two dead deer I shot that one also.
The two were most definitely yearlings and probably dressed out to no more than 80 pounds. But they tasted the best. The does probably dressed out at around 120 pounds.

UniversalFrost
October 28, 2009, 10:17 AM
last year was the closest with a rifle at 20feet (paced it off). was a nice big arizona coues buck that followed my scent trail right to me (from behind).

with archery shot a big buck that was standing right under my stand (i was 15ft up), but he was 0 feet away my tree. I had to lean way out on my safety harness and nailed him righ between the shoulders and hit the spine and instant KO! luckily i had actually practiced this type of shot a week before, because I had a lot of big does the year before stand or bed under my tree and didn't shoot the previous year because I never tried a shot like that and didn't want to wound a deer.

tater134
October 28, 2009, 02:25 PM
Closest deer Ive shot was at about 40yrds but an uncle of mine got one at about 25ft a few years ago when ran out of the woods during a drive.

StiveC2007
October 28, 2009, 02:49 PM
Well seening how both times ive shot at dee ive missed, the closest ive ever gotten to a deer was about a lil less than 5 yards and it was a doe, I was sitting in a ground blind i had built she didnt even see me. I didnt shoot her too small. and ive had a deer almost jump on me when i was walking threw some high grass

elkman06
October 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
0 yds..Knife, head..
elkman06

Oops, not a shot..edit

sc928porsche
October 28, 2009, 05:14 PM
About 20 feet. 300WM. I was in transit on my way back to camp and stopped to sit and eat an apple in fairly dense wooded area. Late morning about 11 am.

Old Grump
October 28, 2009, 07:07 PM
20 yards, spike buck. He had jumped the fence 65 yards in front of me and was walking right toward me limping a little, it was so small I put my gun down. Then he came over the little rise in front of my blind and I realized it was the deer that had been shot at by a black powder hunter and he had blown the knee off. Its leg was only held on by a small strip of hide and I knew it was a dead deer so I picked up my 308 and snapped off a shot, blew his heart apart. I apologized to the butcher for bringing in such a small deer but he laughed and said it was pretty good sized compared to some that had been brought in that day. I guess it was just baby deer day.

treg
October 28, 2009, 07:32 PM
Several in the 10 - 20 foot range while stalking corn fields. Haven't done that for years.

rmocarsky
October 28, 2009, 07:51 PM
On the ground.

Leaning against a tree.

Mature woods.

12 ga. 1100 fully rifled barrel, open sights.

'bout half hour earlier fired on a buck (nice one too) about 75 yards away, and watched it haul a** out the woods and across the bean field, about 400 yards into woods on other side and heard 3 shots.

Leaning against the tree wishing he'd been closer for about 1/2 hour when from behind the tree comes a little spike buck heading for the bean field.

Only thing . . . he had to get past me.

He didn't.

When friends came up and saw where the deer lay, they couldn't believe that I had not dragged it there.

Nope. That's where it fell. 8 paces.

One shot.

Rmocarsky

awaveritt
October 28, 2009, 08:20 PM
Don't know if sitting in a tree counts as a blind or stand but I took whitetail spike from 10 yards with a 130gr. 270 win Nosler PARTITION. At that range the bullet didn't seem to open up much and the deer ran about 50 yards before dropping. I always smile over the irony of having a flat-shooting 270 and finding my target of opportunity right under my feet.

October 28, 2009, 08:21 PM
My first eight point was shot from about 12 yards away. I did the deed with a Remington 870 Express using a 3" Winchester sabot. It wasn't that it was that close when I shot it. It's that when it ran after the shot, it ran right for the tree I was sitting near. As the deer ran by me, I could have reached out and touched his side.

williamd
October 28, 2009, 08:30 PM
15 steps. Muley in B.C. Walking a trail early in fog, dead calm. Muley materialized out of the fog (as I did to him I suppose). He just lowed his head and kept walking toward me. It was rut so I did not know what he had in mind :) .... so bang, right in the forehead. Dropped like a rock. Then, I realized I was shaking.

flyboy14
October 28, 2009, 08:43 PM
Shot one of my doe antelope this year at 32 yards with a 308, and my buck at about 12 yards with a 7mm rem mag. Was sighted in at 300 yards, guess I was over prepared, and over gunned! Both of em were drt. Both guns made quite a mess out of the boiler room. flyboy:D

bcarver
October 28, 2009, 08:59 PM
i didn't measure but it was close.
That is why I keep my scope on 2.5 power.

Brasscatcher84
October 29, 2009, 11:22 AM
I took my first buck at about 12' with a 20 gauge slug at the tender age of eight.

Step-dad put me in a tree(no stand) in the middle of a small grassy clearing with a single-shot New England Firearms shotgun. I was exercizing poor hunting discipline and wasn't paying attention behind me, and this young 4-point buck walked almost directly under me. I took aim, thumbed the hammer as quietly as I could and got him right between the shoulder blades at a downward angle. He dropped where he stood.

SavageSniper
October 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
Danger close. Had one run out on me during a dog hunt. I do not know if it did not see me or had plans on taking me out. I shot him with a singleshot stevens 12 ga, 36in full choked barrel #1 buckshot. I do not know the exact range, but the wadding was stuck in the hair.

hardluk1
October 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
Shot a camp meat doe at 20 feet ,had to circle the scope at 2.5 power and noting but fur,fire, deer down. Also shot a doe at 20feet straight down with a pistol out of a climbing stand a couple years before. And one doe straight down with a bow if that counts.

critter44
October 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
1. Three steps with a .54 cal ML.
2. Five steps with a T/C Contender 30-30.
3. Twenty five yards with Win M70, 300 win mag and 6X scope. Could see only hair through the scope.

plainsman456
October 30, 2009, 01:51 PM
I shot a buck at 14 feet with my 270 win.It un-zipped his hide on his belly.Good Luck

James R. Burke
October 30, 2009, 07:20 PM
It was raining, and I was standing under a tree to stay dry. A nice 8 point buck walked in front of me so close I had to wait to lift the rifle up. It was about 30 feet by the time he walked by, and I got the rifle up.

Donutfish
October 31, 2009, 02:50 AM
Hows this for close:
I've had fellow hunters serve up on a silver platter a giant 10+ point buck to me we all knew was up along the bluffs this year. The property caretaker had seen him around the bluffs recently. The boys decided it was time, everyone else had their deer, and it was time to do the final drive with me getting the honors...They told me where it would come through...down the face of this particular bluff. They told me where to stand even for the best shot.
I did.
They made the mile long drive keeping the deer between the bluffs and Lake Superior. The deer finally went up the bluff along the ridge like they said would happen, and it came down the trail right where they said it would come. I watched in complete anticipation seeing this giant rack ridgelining the bluff and reflecting on all the time spent...countless hours of range time I had accumulated that summer on my new lever action rifle as it did come down the bluff. I cocked my hammer on my lever action 45/70 constantly admiring the enormous rack on this dude. The buck came down the hill...stopped...giving me a perfect broadside shot. I put the front sight right behind his shoulder blade standing 10 yards directly in front of me. This baby was mine. I squeezed the trigger, and BOOM the deer slid down the hill the last 2 feet....and...well it made a motion to me that maybe I had hit a vital cause it jumped back up and started running kind of like a heart shot. I didn't shoot another shot because I was certain he would go down in 20 paces... suddenly he wasn't going down and the cabin was behind him with youngsters and woman within... He didn't go down and I had to hold another shot! He kept on running. I went over to look for the certain blood that must have been there... only a small patch of fur could be found... We searched for a blood trace for hours into the night never to find anything. It was 10 yards away...maybe less and he ducked!

Needless to say, the boys never let me forget having lost one of the greatest bucks we've ever seen on the North Shores of Superior. I still have no words to this day how it was conceivably possible for me to miss from that range.

N.H. Yankee
October 31, 2009, 06:02 AM
I live in N.H. and where I hunt is semi open with thick patch's. I was sitting in the crook of 3 trees one morning and had a 4 pt run right up to me. He was so close his breath was hitting my face! We were like that for about 1 minute and I wasn't going to take him 1st day of blackpowder. I said Hi there, he went vertical with full afterburners, I guess he never had a tree talk to him before lol.

The actual closest shot was about 35 yards, most of my shots are 50+ and usually on running deer. I just pick my window through the trees and wait for the deer to get there. I have about a 90% success rate for 1 shot 1 deer every year for the last 30. I have only shot 2 deer standing still, that's what hunting in N.H. is usually like, with all the tight rolling hills and thick woods, twigs and leaves, its hard to sneak up on a deer. As far as waiting for one to come by, with 1 deer per square mile where I live you may wait a long time.

skydiver3346
October 31, 2009, 08:23 AM
Well, it happened to me last hunting season (2008). I was bowhunting in a ground blind over a well traveled deer trail. I actually had a big 7 point walk right up to the blind (3 yards from me). The wind was perfect (coming to me) and I made a double lung shot on him with my Mathews bow and Rage broadhead. Could not believe I could draw on him that close but it was very dark inside the blind and had it brushed up pretty good on the outside. Actually shook me up somewhat having him so close (I got Buck Fever) and was shaking pretty bad after the shot. Didn't go 20 yards before folding up.

wyobohunter
October 31, 2009, 12:03 PM
Mule Deer ≈ 10 yards with my recurve.

langenc
October 31, 2009, 12:34 PM
Bow- I have missed deer at less than 9 yards. Different hunt than below.

I once killed one with the 4th (fourth) shot at about 20 yards. First 3 shots missed starting at about 10 yards. The deer hopped a little after each shot and kept grazing-I kept shooting-2 shots for a quarter. Finall hit it in the L femoral artery.

Farmland
October 31, 2009, 02:25 PM
The closet was just over 5 feet with a 30-06. We were driving some laurel and this doe just stood up in front of me and didn't move. What seemed like forever we both just looked at each other. I just pointed the gun from the waste towards the chest and pulled the trigger. The doe dropped as the bullet tore through a lung and the heart.

My friend who was about 20 yards to right of me said what are you shooting at. I said I killed a deer and he said what deer he didn't see anything run out of the laurel.

To this days he tells everyone that I planted a dead doe in the laurel.

chow chow
October 31, 2009, 07:18 PM
20 yds away. I was on the side of a riverbank and the deer walk in the middle. Bang flop with my .2506 !

hunter33
November 1, 2009, 12:28 AM
Happened today. About 2 feet away from my barrel. 20 gauge slug. 5 pt buck Running right at me, probably because I was on his trail ;)

bacardisteve
November 2, 2009, 06:36 PM
I routinley carry a 1911 longslide while i hunt. Last year i used it on a nice fat doe that was maybe 10 feet away no lie. she was pre occupied eating apples that had fallen from the tree i was hiding behind

Countertop
November 2, 2009, 11:11 PM
farthest I ever shot a deer was 550 yards. He was a 10 point beauty.

The next morning - about 13 hours later - I shot a nice 8 pointer from about 10 feet away.

Both occurred last fall.

jimbob86
November 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
Once, I was on the ground watching over a bean field with a 600 x 800 field of fire...... scope set on 9x, rifle on sticks in front of me and heard a noise in the trees behind me. I turned to see a 4x4 whitetail coming up a trail...... I had to wait until he paused behind a tree to get turned around and get the gun up. All I could see was hair at first...... found his front leg and went up before touching the trigger........ I found that when a .277 Winchester Silvertip hits a rib at 3100 f/sec it comes apart pretty violently....... the deer went 100 yards before collapsing in a creek........ wound was wide enough to put my fist in, but only 3" deep...... I stopped using Silvertips after that.....

The second one was when I was trying to push deer down the same creek to my nephew..... a button buck got a little confused and did not understand the program...... he tried running back my way...... right by me...... I led him a bit far as he leaped fallen tree. The 150 gr Sierra hit him just behind the eye and he spun around 270 degrees and slammed into a tree sideways.....

Scout
November 3, 2009, 09:22 AM
About 3 yards with my Shakespeare recurve.

XD Gunner
November 3, 2009, 09:38 AM
About 5 yards with a .30-30 and hollowpoints. First day of season, 8" spikes, I had been in the woods 10 minutes at most. Ruined my hunt but put venison in the freezer.

flyboy14
November 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
Closest deer with a rifle was 15 paces, scoped 7mm rem mag. Came out of nowhere, drt.

RedneckFur
November 4, 2009, 10:55 PM
My guess would be about 6 feet. I was 12 years old, and huning with a NEF 12ga singlebarrel gun. I spooked the doe behind a gallberry bush in the swamp and I manged to raise my gun at the same time she stood and I put the load directly into her chest. She was facing me and in less than a second fell back into her tracks.

I've never made such a close shot since! Funny thing, that was also my first ever deer as well.

mes228
November 5, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'll tell you the closest I've ever missed a deer. Tree stand, already evening and quite dark. Huge buck comes out, essentially under the tree. May be 15-25 feet away. I could see him clearly in the scope. The 30-06 went off practically in his ear. So startled he fell down. In a heart beat he was up and gone! No blood, no hair, searched for hours. All I could ever figure was that, even though I could see him clearly in the scope. The cross hairs must have been off his chest. No way to miss - but I did. I really don't know how.

bowtekhunter
November 6, 2009, 12:21 AM
last year about mid november id say i was hunting in the cascades out of and i shot a 8point buck at 10yds on a dead run straight towords me. i shot him on top of a ridge infront of me through both lungs and he decided to come down the hill right for me i threw up my 270 and fired broke his back at 10yds and he droped right at my feet. that was the easiest deer id ever had to track:)

this was my first deer i might add, i was alone as my dad stood about 500yds away watching the whole thing threw the spotting scope

cnimrod
November 9, 2009, 02:51 PM
what a thrill for your dad to see - Bowtekhunter
my closest shot was also 10 yards came up a slight rise walking out of thick pines and bumped into a buck walking in. Hello! sometimes it does come down to luck.
I still remember finding him in the scope even tho I had those raised open sight mounts on my gun. That deer made me take them off. get your head down on the stock in a consistent fashion and don't have your magnification set too high when you're walking.

ssilicon
November 9, 2009, 05:53 PM
The closest I aver shot a deer was at... well pretty much close to point blank range. Of course that was just to finish it off to end its suffering. I dropped it with my 1st shot but it was immobilized on the gound but not dead. It was horribly scared and probably in a lot of pain when I approached but it could not get up (not for lack of trying). I popped one right in the brain. I actually felt sorry for the deer as I approached it. It did not have to suffer long though.

petemo
November 10, 2009, 05:57 PM
Did not shoot the deer but one summer we started putting corn down in the wood along a running trail on our property. My wife would go down and 3 or 4 deer would watch her from maybe 50 feet. They got so tame that when she walked down and rattled the plastic bag they would come running. Close as they would come was maybe 5 /6 feet. We tried to get em closer but they would just stamp their feet. One was a little braver than the others. She had a fawn into the spring and it got pretty tame too. Don't guess we done em any favors because they would be easy pickens for hunters

infntryblu
December 7, 2009, 03:46 AM
In the 70's I was an Army recruiter in my home state of Maine. Light snow, and a 3 day stalk. This was a smart and wily buck right up until the moment of truth. One shot at 6 or 7 yds. He stepped out from the brush and behind a large tree. Bang, one shot from a Frank Pachmyr tuned Colt Govt model Mk IV series 70 with a hot load 200gr H&G 68 swc with 308 trimmed brass.Two jumps, and it died in it's tracks. Very large and heavy. I was more surprised than he was.

camper4lyfe
December 7, 2009, 09:37 AM
I shot a button at around 15yds. It was quartering toward me as it came up the hill in front of me. I hit it just behind the left shoulder, it ran maybe 50 yds and dropped. When we skinned it, we found the slug between the hide and the meat at the right rear hip...the slug still had the wadding attached to it.

Satanic Toaster
December 7, 2009, 10:57 AM
not sure if this counts...

I was driving home from work one night and hit a 6 pointer with my chevy. I stopped to check on it and the truck was a little dinged up but ok and the deer was laying in the ditch twitching and unable to walk/move/etc. I shot it with my 1911 from about 3 feet away. I felt bad for it so I had to put it out of its misery.

Drummer101
December 7, 2009, 11:15 AM
about 6 feet with an airsoft gun from the kitchen window :p

He was eating my moms plants

He did not die ;)

crimsondave
December 7, 2009, 09:46 PM
I shot a doe last year between the eyes with my 06 at a smooth 20 feet. Blew her eyes out, but I got all the meat.

CajunBass
December 8, 2009, 06:36 AM
Needless to say, the boys never let me forget having lost one of the greatest bucks we've ever seen on the North Shores of Superior. I still have no words to this day how it was conceivably possible for me to miss from that range.

I did a similar one once. Late season drive, doe season open. The huntmaster had declared that if you had killed a deer not to shoot does to give the ones who hadn't a better chance. I hadn't killed a deer that year, but the fellow beside me on the next stand had. GREAT!

Sure enough the dogs jumped and headed toward John. He stepped back into the path and singled me "Coming to you." I gave him the "OK" sign and got ready.

Sure enough a big doe broke the woods about 10-12 yards from me. The Remington 1100 came up, the bead found the shoulder and I fired. The deer shifted gears and kept running.

I stood there with my mouth open. Never thought about the other two shells in the gun. I MISSED?!?!?! How in the world.

John called to me.."Didgagether?" *&%$#*#&^ NO! I said. WHAT? YOU MISSED?

I walked over to where the deer was when I shot. There in the side of a little hickory tree, just as pretty as you could have placed them was a pattern of 000 buckshot that you could have covered with a coffee cup. Every pellet accounted for.

They cut my shirttail twice for that one I think. :o:o

rem870hunter
December 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
25 yards,12 ga. shotgun slug.

i'm hoping the next one will be no more than 25 yds away, but will be shot with my bow :D.

Deerhunter
December 9, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have shot 2 that were within 10 yards (from the ground). The first ran by me on a drive. The second was also pushed. Two doe walking up the hill right towards me. The trail they were on crossed under my feet. They were walking and looking back toward the pushers thinking they were a safe distance away. I couldn't wait for her to turn broadside, too close. She was about 15 feet away, hit her with a slug out of a 12 gauge square in the chest.

oneoldsap
December 9, 2009, 08:06 PM
7 yards , I could smell him , he was on the other side of a tree I was next to . I never got the old .358 to my shoulder . Things happened real quick.;)

Legionnaire
December 9, 2009, 11:52 PM
Closest, on the ground, would have been 15 yards with a scoped Ruger SuperRedhawk in .44 mag. I was about 40 yards into the woods on a long, sloping hillside at the edge of a large field. Buck came running across the field and into the woods. Came to a walk when he hit the treeline, and walked right up on me. When he got 40 yards in, about 15 yards up hill from me he stopped dead in his tracks and looked farther up the hill (i.e., looking away from me). Put the 240 grain pill right through his right shoulder and he dropped on the spot.

XD Gunner
December 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
15 feet. I was leaning against a tree and saw the deer to my left, about 40 yards away or so, I started to raise the gun to my shoulder and something spooked the deer. It ran towards me and I shouldered the rifle with just enough time to put one through it's lungs and heart as it ran past me and turned away. It was the absolute single most amazing shot I have ever made, and I could not do it again if my life depended on it. Usually my reaction to a running deer, is to stand and watch with a blank stare.

Ricky
December 10, 2009, 01:33 AM
Hunting in Lassen County Ca. Open, high desert country. Shots are usually 75 yards to "how far can you shoot" (I draw the line at about 400 yards) I was sitting on my favorite rock, watching the canyon below when a buck stepped out of the sage brush 25-30 yards to my left. My gun was across my lap. We looked each other in the eye, I decided to take him. I took off my safety then snapped the rifle up and shot him just as he was ready to jump. I still feel pretty good about a one shot kill with less than a second to sight and shoot with a scoped 7MM Rem Mag. Even if it was that close.

shortwave
December 10, 2009, 04:04 AM
Had to be no more than 12-15ft.

Bout 15-16 yrs. ago, on a side of a hill so steep and thick with brush, I had to dig my heels in to keep from sliding down while on stand. Halfway down hill was an old logging rd. .

I`d spotted a very nice/old 14pt. using rd to work his way to a field on top of hill. He would bed in thickets at the upper end of the field. Picked the only spot I could get an arrow through down to the roadbed. With ALOT of luck, wind in my fav., I posted up in this stand no more than 4-5 times when Mr. buck came sauntering down roadbed. He stopped to freshen his rub on a big tree just below me.

The old 'greying' fellow stays warm now in the winter as he reside`s on the wall in the den.:D.

mtnman
December 14, 2009, 08:26 PM
With a gun about 20 feet. The rifle was a custom made H&R .243 with a bull barrel. Droped the little buck in his tracks. With a bow about 7 feet I could have got the doe with a good pike easily.

mtnman
December 14, 2009, 08:29 PM
oneoldsap

how do you like tour .358 and what type of rifle do you own. I hope you say a Savage model 99

Ryanfromcanada
December 19, 2009, 06:04 PM
10 yards - 30-30

I was pushing and a buddy shot the doe with an o6 to far back she ran circled back at me I pulled up and hualed one off in her general direction hit her high, like so high that if it was just my shot she woukd have recovered. We didnt find that hole until we loaded her in the truck, but any ways it was enough to convincer to lie down. After a short sneak i hit her once in the lungs and then followed up with another to her head

langenc
December 19, 2009, 10:38 PM
I shot at a couple w/ arrows at LESS than 10 yards.

OH the question was " what distance did I shoot one?" Shot first deer w/ first arrow shot at deer at about 18 yards-nice forkhorn.

slugfest
December 20, 2009, 01:39 PM
about 20 feet

jhgreasemonkey
December 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
About 10 feet with a 7mm rem mag. You know the funny part is I expected the poor thing to get splattered but the bullet passed through cleanly without expanding and the wound channel was tiny. It went to sleep without even twitching though so there was no suffering.

oneoldsap
December 27, 2009, 09:52 PM
My .358 is a 760 Rem. pump and I love it !! It's totally custom ,20" barrel matte black metal and satin wood . It started life as .35 Rem. , which has the perfect twist rate ,1 in 12"

stratloverfender
December 27, 2009, 11:36 PM
2 and a half yards with a 38 pound bow. i was 12

Claude Clay
December 27, 2009, 11:59 PM
less than 10 feet

......my dining room window was between us:mad:

A_Gamehog
December 28, 2009, 08:48 PM
Last Years Black tail, my partner had just shot his lead buck the bigger of the 5, and one of the survivors ran under my stand. My 1994 jennings carbon Extreme 325+ FPS and a Beman Carbon Hunter shot clean thru his back only to see him run downhill to 200 yards of my pickup. best afternoon hunting ever, Keno Oregon...I refuse to buy a new bow every year like most. he was 5' from the base of the tree on a windy day.