PDA

View Full Version : Colt MT6700 AR-15 or.....

496rathead
October 26, 2009, 12:38 PM
Are the Colt's AR-15's a quality piece or get the equivalent Bushmaster.

I never had a AR-15....For the past twenty years only shoot SA M1A's

Warchild
October 26, 2009, 01:58 PM
Colt is the cream of the crop, better than Bushy, get the 6920.

Skyyr
October 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
If you want the best of the best, get a Noveske =) Or LaRue Tactical.

In my opinion, you're simply paying for the name and poor customer service when you buy a Colt.

StiveC2007
October 26, 2009, 04:22 PM
Doesnt LMT make the lowers for Colt.

RT
October 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
Get a 6920. Also consider LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Larue, and Bravo Company (BCM).

NSO_w/_SIG
October 26, 2009, 05:55 PM
BCM same quality, better customer service and value.

GONIF
October 26, 2009, 06:05 PM
the Colt will have the best resale value and you would not be sorry you bought it (6920). you can get just as good a weapon from BCM,LMT,Noveski,or Daniel Defence . the Bargin is the BCM.:D and yes BCM has the best customer service you will ever see.

KShaft
October 27, 2009, 12:33 AM
The 6700 is a 20" HBAR. It is a beautiful rifle. Top heavy however.

The list that Gonif listed is a list of true mil-spec/top tier manufactures, but unfortunately none of them make a 20" rifle except for BCM, which I NEVER have seen in stock.

So if he wants a top tier rifle that is readily available in 20" he will have to go with the pony. Larue is also an option, but costly and waiting a month or two will be a likely result for this COA.

He may be able to get a sabre defence upper with the appropriate specs and add a LMT or BCM BCG and perhaps a LMT or BCG lower. It all depends on what you want. The Colt is a great one step solution for an accurate, reliable, competition rifle.

If you are looking for something smaller or lighter, then the many offerings that Gonif mentioned are back on the table; and I would stick to those. If you are used to m1a's then it would be hard pressed to make you think even the HBAR 20" ARs would be heavy...

B. Lahey
October 27, 2009, 01:54 AM
Get the Colt, you won't regret it. They are very very nice ARs.

But they aren't making any full-size target rifles right now. I wanted one a while back and ended building one out of a 6920. If you can find one, jump on it.

There are good reasons why people end up as Colt snobs. I had a lesser-quality AR before I built my A4gery, and now I'm completely spoiled. Closing in on 5,000 rounds without a malfunction and it shoots like crazy. Sold the other one.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/brendanclaude/ColtA4-3.jpg

Warchild
October 27, 2009, 06:28 AM
If you want the best of the best, get a Noveske =) Or LaRue Tactical.

In my opinion, you're simply paying for the name and poor customer service when you buy a Colt.

By your comments, I'm assuming that you currently own a Noveske and that you have had a Colt before, is that a safe assumption.

496rathead
October 27, 2009, 07:53 AM
Thank you everyone for the replys. I think I will just get the Colt MT6700.

I want a 20" barrel, and I prefer the full size butt stock. That is why I am looking at this model. The weight of a 20" HBAR is not a concern for me.

Hopefully Colt will do me right on this rifle. My local dealer can get me one next day. He says majority of people buy the 16" barrle with a retractable stock.

Thanks.

Skyyr
October 27, 2009, 11:35 AM
By your comments, I'm assuming that you currently own a Noveske and that you have had a Colt before, is that a safe assumption.

Yes, that'd be correct.

Warchild
October 27, 2009, 11:59 AM
Very nice! I'd give my left arm for a Noveske but I'll settle for my 6920

Skyyr
October 27, 2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice! I'd give my left arm for a Noveske but I'll settle for my 6920

I've had/shot Noveske's, Sabre Defence, Colt, and Bushmaster, and I have to say that there really is no comparison to a Noveske. Yes, you pay dearly for it, but after you've got one, there is no going back. The accuracy, the workmanship, and the attention to detail is next to none. I currently have a 16.1" Recon with a stainless barrel and I was so impressed that I almost bought another with a moly-chrome barrel. I think I'll hold off until I can get a LaRue 18" SPR, as I'm really impressed with LaRue's weaponry and the fact they make a billet lower to match their uppers appeals to me (and the fact you can get a complete upper + lower receiver for less than $1,500), as I like having rifles for different applications. Either way, I AM going to get another Noveske.

I took a photo of a few of my rifles awhile back when I had just received my Noveske. Still need to get an optic for it (had a TA01 ACOG but sold it):
http://skyyr.com/images/pwning-sonjea/my-guns.jpg

Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack the thread...

Warchild
October 27, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not the OP but I say hijack away! I love me some pictures of nice rifles! BTW, you find you can't get that Noveske to the range, let me know, I'll take it to On Target for ya ;)

Skyyr
October 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm not the OP but I say hijack away! I love me some pictures of nice rifles! BTW, you find you can't get that Noveske to the range, let me know, I'll take it to On Target for ya

You from/near the 'boro? I usually shoot at Terry Walden's range in Manchester.

Warchild
October 27, 2009, 06:15 PM
Cookevegas. Sister lives in the boro so I get over that way often. What's your thoughts on POF?

Skyyr
October 27, 2009, 06:31 PM
Cookevegas. Sister lives in the boro so I get over that way often. What's your thoughts on POF?

Are you referring to POF-USA? As far as their guns go, I'm not too familiar with them, aside from knowing they're mainly piston-AR's. They look like well-built guns, but as with any piston upper/rifle, you're going to pay more because it's a proprietary item.

My main sentiment on piston-AR's is that they're a solution to a problem that didn't need fixing. Adding a piston to an AR doesn't fix their few reliability issues or make them run any cleaner (they just get dirtier elsewhere), so why bother? For that matter, they're also inherently (slightly) less accurate. I'd prefer to have a tried and true DI AR that can be part-swapped with any other mil-spec AR and can readily be diagnosed and fixed if any issues arrive. When you get into pistons, again, everything is proprietary, so you not only run into design issues, but compatibility and functionality issues. The gun was designed to be ran with DI.

For those reasons, I'd prefer to wait for a rifle that was designed around a perfected piston system. Just my opinion.

KShaft
October 28, 2009, 12:24 AM
Quote: "Thank you everyone for the replys. I think I will just get the Colt MT6700."

Excellent choice. There is something I like about the full size rifles myself, even though they are totally impractical for a guy like myself (5'3") and caused me problems when I had to shoot them(m16a4's) with a fully loaded IBA and SAPPI plates.

I know you will have fun with your rifle. Just remember to get appropriate rounds for the 1:9 twist barrel to optimize accuracy.