PDA

View Full Version : Ok I know why I could never get my Mini 14 to hit stuff

Tomas204
October 24, 2009, 05:32 PM
I bought it in the end of 07 ,my brother has 1 ,and I liked it so I had to have 1 ,well I never really played wth it just a little ,but I could never get it sited in ,it was always off to the left ,so today after trying to borsite it ,using other scopes ,I decided to tear it down ,the first thing I notice is the 2 screws on 1 side of the lug break off while I try to remove them :eek:,not a good sign ,so I get the other 2 off and remove the trigger action ,and look down the Barrel ,it has a bit of a tweek in it ,so I guess I`am sending it off ,to Ruger ,I hope its something they can fix :confused::confused:,with out killing me ,I really like that type of gun ,have any of you dealt with CS at Ruger ??? and which place and how can I send it UPS ,I will be sending an email to them to find out .......

XD Gunner
October 24, 2009, 05:58 PM
No experience here, but Ruger's QC seems to be really going to crap lately.

olyinaz
October 24, 2009, 10:44 PM
Two screws on one side of the lug?? I'm being dense for sure but I just cannot figure out what you're talking about there.

Regarding Ruger customer service it is very good. I picked up a polished Ruger Old Army "factory cleanup" parts gun last year that had been put together with a standard finished cylinder (brushed finish). It also had some machine marks just forward of one side of the cylinder. I sent it back under warranty with a note asking them to correct the faults and they sent me a shipping box, picked it up at my door, fixed it and sent it back in about 8 weeks. The time frame was a bit longer than what I'd have liked but they treated me well, tracked the work at a phone number I could call, and met their own guidelines for turnaround.

Best,
Oly

KMO
October 29, 2009, 08:55 AM
...the first thing I notice is the 2 screws on 1 side of the lug break off while I try to remove them ,not a good sign ,so I get the other 2 off and remove the trigger action...

I'd like to help, but you have me confused here too. So you removed 4 total screws, which leads me to believe you disassembled the gas block, at the front of the action (That's the only 4-screw assembly on the Mini-14 that comes to mind). But, you then tell us this somehow removed the trigger assembly? There are no screws involved with removing the trigger assembly. Then, just by looking down the barrel you can visibly see a "tweek" in it? If that's true, somebody has been using your rifle as a pry bar. A badly damaged barrel like you describe, and 2 of 4 gas block screws broken, leads me to believe you have a severely abused rifle there. It might just need to be destroyed. My advice... find another Mini-14 and give it a go. They are a sturdy & reliable rifle. Don't believe everything you read about the accuracy issues. Much of that is grossly overstated, and often by those who have no experience with the Mini-14.

GONIF
October 29, 2009, 12:14 PM
You should have sent it back B4 you took it apart and broke it . I'm sure Ruger will get you fixed up sooner or later . I my self a'm no fan of Ruger . I have had some real Ruger Lemons in the past . I just don't buy Rugers anymore .

olyinaz
October 29, 2009, 12:46 PM
Ruger makes tough, reliable, firearms and mine have always worked just great but I have certainly seen some clunkers from them that should not have ever made it to a dealer's shelf or a customer's hand. I guess the best way to put it is that they're usually good (as in 99.5% of the time) but that half percent are really crummy!

Send it in, get it fixed, be happy.

Oly

Tomas204
October 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
Wellit not an abused Rifle its brand new well I bought it last year and never fired it much and tried ta get it sited in and wondered why the thing is like it is ,Yes trying t remove the Lug up front ,and 2 of the screws broke ,they seam to have been put in wrong ,it was a porrly manufactured gun ,I hpe Ruger will take care of me ,and Yes I doknow how to remove the trigger guard ,I will not do things unless I know how or can read the way to disassymble something :confused:

azredhawk44
October 29, 2009, 03:36 PM
Tomas204, it soundz like you abyused yer raifle, you porbably shuldnt have disassembled it rong like you did, if it shoots to the left like you talked about then it is probaly shooting form or possibly sights and not anything that needs disassembly of the gas system or removing the raifle from the stok, I sure hope ruger fixes yur gun:(

Stevie-Ray
October 29, 2009, 06:29 PM
Now now, AZ, that's not very nice.;)