PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 transformed

olyinaz
October 19, 2009, 10:34 PM
After reading about the Accu-Strut here I decided to get one and see how my old (1983 vintage) Mini would respond. My Mini was given to me by my folks and as such it's got sentimental value but frankly it's always been minute-of-pie pan accurate and as such it's been a closet queen for many years.

The Accu-Strut installed in a very straightforward fashion with about a half hour of fooling around (much less if you're Joe Tooltime and have a good spot to work on your rifle) and it make the Mini look even more like an M14 so that's cool. Mine, however, did install with a bit of a slant to it and I'm not terribly pleased about that but perhaps I can address that issue later. My Mini has perhaps 3000 rounds through it so it's well broken in but it's not shot out and it looks like new because I take care of my things.

Well, I've just returned from the range and all I can say is WOW. I can't believe it. With Fiochi .223 "ball" ammo my Mini is now shooting 1.5-2 MOA and with Hornady 55 gr FMJ (pretty much ball ammo here too - just better made stuff) it shoots 1-2 MOA easily, even as the barrel gets pretty warm. I'm simply stunned!

Now to be honest the rifle still has one troubling shortcoming and that's the occasional really wild uncalled flyer. And I mean wild as in 4" or so. To which I'm afraid I have to ask, "Any ideas?" It's relatively common as in every 4th or 5th group that I'll get one of these and yes, I'm pretty sure it's the rifle because I've seen it now with three different kinds of ammo (and while I'm not a crack shot I'm also not on crack).

I'm amazed that with the Accu-Strut installed the rifle will repeatedly now turn in groups of 2 MOA or less (I know that sounds odd, but you have to live with a Mini-14 for a while to understand...) but the frequency of flyers would pretty much kill any thought of using it for hunting because I wouldn't want to wound a critter with a shot at 200 yards that's off by 8" because I happen to get a "flyer" on the one shot that counts.

So yet another testimonial for the Accu-Strut but the Mini continues to frustrate. Any help is appreciated!

Best,
Oly

JerseyDrez
October 19, 2009, 11:16 PM
No pics?!

Cmonnnn..

bamaranger
October 20, 2009, 12:54 AM
sorry guys, what is an Accu-strut??????? or whatever your're describing???????

KMO
October 20, 2009, 07:11 AM
Accu-Strut is a barrel stabilizer for the Mini-14, similar to a Har-Bar or Mo-Rod. These products clamp to the barrel and also affix to the Mini-14's gas block. The intent is to avoid barrel whip by providing greater rigidity and also heat dissipation from the barrel.

...the Mini continues to frustrate. Any help is appreciated!

In addition to the barrel stabilizer, I would also recommend that you replace the stock-size gas port bushing with a bushing with a reduced diameter orifice. The stock size ID is something like .085", which is much larger than necessary. A bushing with a .040" ID will still perform its purpose, cycling the rifle, but will reduce recoil and keep the spent brass in the same zip code. A Mo-Rod + .040" bushing + Wolff extra power recoil spring has been a good combination for me in improving the Mini-14's accuracy.

olyinaz
October 20, 2009, 10:24 AM
sorry guys, what is an Accu-strut??????? or whatever your're describing???????

Google is your friend!

http://www.accu-strut.com/

Oly

Tucker 1371
October 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
Wow, that's impressive, makes it look like a little .223 M1A (even better). I'll have to talk my grandpaw into getting one for his Mini-14.

olyinaz
October 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
In addition to the barrel stabilizer, I would also recommend that you replace the stock-size gas port bushing with a bushing with a reduced diameter orifice. The stock size ID is something like .085", which is much larger than necessary. A bushing with a .040" ID will still perform its purpose, cycling the rifle, but will reduce recoil and keep the spent brass in the same zip code. A Mo-Rod + .040" bushing + Wolff extra power recoil spring has been a good combination for me in improving the Mini-14's accuracy.

Thanks! I definitely still have the "where's my brass" issue to deal with and I'll look for that Wolf spring as well.

Best,
Oly

benogil
October 20, 2009, 01:19 PM
I can suggest you try perfectunion before you get the wolff spring. There are technical reasons for this, and perhaps it would be better to get a smaller gas bushing. To get rid of flyers, the most reliable method is cryoing the barrel, again, try perfectunion and they will show the results.

GONIF
October 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
Sad Ruger can't deliver a Mini that is accurate right from the start :(

ritepath
October 20, 2009, 08:41 PM
They do now...but some of us are stuck with minis that are more than 2 years old.

OHW
October 20, 2009, 10:12 PM
The flyer is probally a product of the action rattling in the stock. Bed the action and that should be fixed.

This is the mini owners best freind.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Tips and tricks + accurizing is good for hours reading useful tidbits.

Latex Ducky
October 20, 2009, 11:19 PM
get a brass catcher for your "where's my brass" issue

http://www.thecountryshed.com/mini-14_m14_accessories.htm

or

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html#Anchor-47857

olyinaz
October 21, 2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks guys!

Yes, I was wondering myself if the action-to-stock fit might cause flyers so thanks for confirming a suspicion. Might not be the problem but it's nice to know that someone else thinks it could be.

Best,
Oly

Al Thompson
October 23, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oly, it may indeed be the action, but I'd run some premium ammo through the rifle just to make sure it's not the inexpensive ammo your using. :)

Are you getting those results with iron sights or a scope? :cool:

MTT TL
October 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
Curious, which is better the Accu-Strut or Mo-Rod? There is a $40 difference between the two.

Also it looks like it is just a hollow rod with a spring inside clamped with some heavy barrel clamps to the thin part of the barrel. I am not disputing the validity of the claims, but wondering if that is all there is to it.

KMO
October 25, 2009, 07:42 AM
To get rid of flyers, the most reliable method is cryoing the barrel.

Hmmm..."Most reliable method?"...Highly debatable.

I can suggest you try perfectunion before you get the wolff spring.
What?? OK, go look up posts on PerfectUnion about this and you'll likely find my posts about it. We're talking about a recoil spring here, not something that is going to radically change the dynamics of the rifle's design. The Wolff extra power spring lightens recoil, as does the replacement of the gas port bushing with one that has an ID of .040". Both changes are upgrades to the Mini-14 that result in improved accuracy and performance. These changes are also completely reversable...not a big risk.

Curious, which is better the Accu-Strut or Mo-Rod? ...it looks like it is just a hollow rod with a spring inside clamped with some heavy barrel clamps to the thin part of the barrel.

"Better" is really up to users to determine. The principle is the same with both, to provide rigidity and heat dissipation for the barrel, thus preventing barrel whip.