PDA

View Full Version : Is this a shooter?

Dearhunter61
October 19, 2009, 06:19 PM
I went to the lease for the last time before season to fill up my feeders. AGH! What a mess! At one feeder I found a ton of corn beneath the feeder that had not been touched. After I cleaned up the mess I looked at everything and realized somehow the Motor/timer box had slid down so the gap had increased a ton. I guess I did that without realizing it the last time I messed with the battery. Anyway after I repaired it I filled it with corn and then I went to check the game cam to see if anything had come to the feeder. This is the best buck on the game cam.

What do you think? is he a shooter?

What do you think the spread is?

I figure he will score about 125...your thoughts?

He also looks to be about 3 1/2, your thoughts?

seniordep2010
October 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'd shoot em' :D. I totally think thats a shooter, atleast for around here it is. Nice rack on him.

CajunBass
October 19, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well.....I guess if you can't find a big one, they'll do. :D

simonkenton
October 19, 2009, 07:42 PM
Is that a trick question?

Here in North Carolina that would be the State Record.

October 19, 2009, 07:50 PM
This is such a subjective question. If I went by what I see on TV on all those Texas ranches.....well, no he is not a shooter. If you just happen to be in Texas and don't happen to have a ranch that is pimped by a bunch of TV shows....then I vote yes. In many parts of the country, a buck like that is rare and other areas you would be laughed at for shooting a baby. If you were hunting public land in Michigan, you would be the envy of many a hunter.

As far as score, I think you're in the ball park.

I guess the question is, thinking about what you know about the deer and hunting opportunties in your area, do you think he's a shooter? After all, you'll be the one working the trigger.

shortwave
October 19, 2009, 08:18 PM
I`d guess your about right on the age and score. If you`ve got exclusive right to the lease I believe I wait. Think what that buck will be in a year or two. P.S. How tall are the legs/uprights on your feeder?

Big Bill
October 19, 2009, 08:41 PM
Deleted

Dearhunter61
October 19, 2009, 08:58 PM
Big Bill,

It is always a little easier to make judgements when you are on the other side. And it is always easy to make a statement like yours if you have never been in the situation some us find ourselves in.

I wonder why you responded...simply to start discord within this thread? My Mom always taught me to not say anything if you do not have something nice to say. Perhaps in the future you might try it?

Thanks,

sasquatch
October 19, 2009, 09:22 PM
For whatever it's worth, I agree with Big Bill.......has something to do with the ethics and fair chase I have always felt were part of the hunting heritage.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with "nice to say" or "not nice to say".

shortwave
October 19, 2009, 09:22 PM
Deerhunter, how tall are the legs/uprights on your feeder? PS. Someplaces in our country, if you don`t lease, you don`t hunt. Feel very fortunate if you live in an area (as I do) where you don`t have to lease:p.

FrontSight
October 19, 2009, 09:41 PM
If it's brown it goes down!!

Big Bill
October 19, 2009, 09:44 PM
Deleted

koolminx
October 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
Shortwave, can you favorably point out one state where there is no public land in which to shoot? That statement is pure pucky. You may not get land close to home but you can bet your butt it's out there.

Big Bill, I'm with you on the ethical side of your statement...

Deerhunter61, those are some Gorgeous deer! Sorry you had to clean up such a big mess, but we all have them sometimes :)

Good luck hunting, regardless of how you do it. Our opinions on how you or the other 20% of this country hunt don't matter as much as the fact that we all wish you luck in your hunt!

k

murphyboy88
October 19, 2009, 09:55 PM
i live in montana , my last years whitetail scored 157... id shoot that deer,yeah hes a bit spindly but hes okay. now i see ppl are givin you crap bout ethics an junk, i say tune that stuff out because thats just how you guys gotta do it down there.. its not your fault that you dont have lots of public land to hunt like we do in montana and idaho, i say bag that buck and have fun with it! happy huntin bud:D

shortwave
October 19, 2009, 10:44 PM
Shortwave,can you favorably point out one state where there is no public hunting in which to shoot? koolminx, you could have at least finished that question. It should have ended as such, 'in which to shoot or get shot at?' If I lived in Texas(example of state), I`d surely lease a hunting plot. I've hunted more than my share of public grounds in a few different states. Some like being in a war zone. IMO,thats not hunting,its survival. Didn`t mean to imply there were states with no PH. Please note I didn`t say all states as some are more fortunate than others to have more . Not enough acres for the amount of hunters. If ya think that statement is pure pucky, come here to Ohio and I`ll turn ya loose in Wayne Nat`l Forrest opening day of shotgun season. At the end of the day,if you enjoy that hunt I`ll be assured you don`t know what a good hunt is. Please explain to me whats unethical about leasing a piece of ground to hunt on?

sc928porsche
October 19, 2009, 11:31 PM
I would take him if he were 500yds plus away from the feeder area. Sorry, thats just the way I hunt.

bcarver
October 19, 2009, 11:51 PM
The bigger deer looks young. I will be a trophy next year but not if you shoot it this year. The smaller deer is a pass in my book.

Now with a bow you got a different story...thang slap...straight to the pump.

Reason being I have killed bigger and if that is my lease I am gonna keep him feed and watered until next year.

javabum
October 19, 2009, 11:58 PM
If i saw that here in California i would "MOST DEFIANTLY" put it down.
We don't see them that nice around these parts that often.

But ya....im lookin for a freezer shortly after that kill.

greensteelforge
October 20, 2009, 12:03 AM
That looks like one scrawny, stunted buck with an acceptable set of fire-pokers. It's going to take more than just those two to fill the freezer. Kind of odd they'd come into a partial enclosure like that, too, but habituation works on almost any animal with food. If that's pig fencing, I think the does get about that big before two years up here. They look nimble enough to be a damn hard target if they're moving. Good luck!

Fat White Boy
October 20, 2009, 12:04 AM
Java- You don't have to worry about seeing them out here- Those are Whitetails. We only have Coastal Blacktails and Mulies...

Dearhunter61
October 20, 2009, 06:26 AM
Big Bill and Shortwave,

First I must say if I could hunt the way I wanted, that being within reasonable driving distance from my house so I can hunt on weekends, I would love nothing more than to hunt by some other method!

But one thing that always gets me a little riled is people that plant 2 acre food plots or even hunt over fields where grain has been planted and then shoot arrows at those of us who hunt using feeders. And one more point, where I have hunted this being the second year, if we did not feed the deer using feeders a whole lot of the deer would have starved to death during the 2 year drought we just went through. Baiting has long been used to take game and to me your are either in or out...can not have it both ways.

Next as far as ethical hunting and fair chase. I still struggle with people using the ethical statement...If you follow the laws of your state and abide by them then as far as I am concerned you are hunting ethically. Now me saying that does not mean that I agree with everyone elses methods.

So what methods are they? Well I personally could not hunt in a high fenced area. It simply is not what I believe it is supposed to be. And I really struggle with engineering massive bucks. For anyone who goes on a hunt like this and then takes a big buck...I am happy for you if that is what you chose to do but for me that is no more of a trophy that the little 7 point I have on the wall in my den. Heck to me I would say it is actually less than a trophy. Again just my opinion.

The next and I am going to stop here is LONG RANGE hunting. That being people that shoot at game at 1000 yards give or take. I have real issues with this one. The chance of wounding an animal and then not being able to recover it goes up dramatically and it is simply inhumane to me.

But this thread was never supposed to be about the above and I really did not want to get into it.

And yes Big Bill I guess I am a little sensitive because with all we have discussed here I do not think we have accomplished anything and would think we are giving those that want to eliminate hunting all together more ammo to shoot at us. I think we can choose to leave out things that we know is going to start a rumble in our world and make sure that as long as we are following the laws in our states then we support one another completely.

musicmatty
October 20, 2009, 07:00 AM
When it comes to Trophy hunting and the thrill of a kill, I canot lend my support. When it comes to putting food on the table, then you do whatever it takes..baiting..etc..

It's ok to disagree.

DRice.72
October 20, 2009, 07:08 AM
Is that a trick question?

Here in North Carolina that would be the State Record.

Absolutely! Especially in Western North Carolina where I am. I work just down the road from a man who processes deer. He will process around one-hundred or so during the season, and a very rare few are that impressive.

Noonan
October 20, 2009, 10:58 AM
They may be 3.5 or even 2.5 years old. Either one could be a real trophy given another year. If you're worried about someone else shooting them, go ahead and take one.

Brian Pfleuger
October 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
Seriously?

Those are bigger bucks than most hunters in NY state will see in their entire lives. Not to mention, if I don't shoot it then the neighbor will. No brainer.

Art Eatman
October 20, 2009, 12:15 PM
I very strongly suggest that folks refrain from hijacking a thread with snarky comments about how others hunt, when the others hunt in a legal fashion according to the laws and customs of their area.

There is a lot of legal and customary stuff that goes on that I don't particularly like, but that doesn't mean I have to run off at the mouth about it.

Christchild
October 20, 2009, 01:38 PM
I SEE the side of Hunting a Feeder being "UNethical" (kind of), I do understand the "logic" behind it, BUT, if I had the opportunity to hunt a nice and Very Active Feeder as the one You have, and Fine Whitetail Deer LIKE THOSE, You can bet Your FINEST RIFLE I'd be there!!!

Either one of those deer are shooters. And again, if I had that opportunity, I'd ask to hunt that feeder MySelf, if I lived closer!!!

These are hard times, Bro's, but even if things were great, I'd make/take a "hunt" (kill) at that feeder. With a GOOD Heart!

Get 'Em, DeerHunter! :D :cool: Bring Home the Bacon!

Spicy Cayshun Deer Sausish, Anyone???

hogdogs
October 20, 2009, 01:44 PM
NOPE!!! NOT SHOOTER DEER!!!!
Can you inagine the risk involved in field dressing them and carrying them out like a back pack? Any other hunter in the woods would just have to take a shot putting you at risk:eek:
Brent

koolminx
October 20, 2009, 01:58 PM
koolminx, Some like being in a war zone. Ohio and I`ll turn ya loose in Wayne Nat`l Forrest opening day of shotgun season.
OK, I can totally understand THAT view point... I've been there in Maryland and done that but I still went.

I apologize if you thought I said that leasing land is unethical, that is not the part I find unethical. The unethical part I feel angst towards is better left out or lent to another thread. I apologize also to Art for going OT, and to Simon for being an ass in his thread, I should have started my own if I wanted to be a butt-head...

Shoot those tasty deer and send me some Sausage Simon!

Later,

K

Beartrak
October 20, 2009, 04:39 PM
Well, let me drop my two pennies!

I stand hunted the same lease for nearly thirty years. At that time, in Texas, if you were fortunate enough to own enough land, you didn't have to lease. If you didn't own enough, well, it was either lease, papermill land, public land or somebody kind enough to LET you hunt their place.
I always wanted to bait, but the cattle would take over any baited area and the electronic feeders were not available at that time. (yeah, I'm a dinosaur!)
From there to today, things have happened. Thanks to a young lady that thought the radio was more important than the lane she was driving in, I have a titanium hip and a crushed foot. I don't walk now like I usta!
I never had the ability to slip along to still hunt deer, they always spotted me first. Even though, I've killed a couple while walking. Anymore, I use feeders and food plots. Just because deer come to them, doesn't mean I shoot them. Since I can no longer walk, this gives me the opportunity to see what's in the area, select the deer I want, and do some culling if necessary. I am still within the game laws of the state I live in. I check the laws each year to be certain that the laws haven't changed.
P.S. - I'd probably take the larger one.

shortwave
October 20, 2009, 04:39 PM
Dearhunter, those deer look as though they`re just reaching their breeding prime. Think I`d pass for a few years and keep those genes alive in the herd. Probably a bigger,more mature dominant buck(maybe those deer`s daddy) in the area thats passed its prime to take. YMMV.

ZeroJunk
October 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
What are you trying to keep away from your feeder?

hogdogs
October 20, 2009, 06:04 PM
Zero,
What are you trying to keep away from your feeder?
I suspect it is feral hogs if not livestock...
The deer can jump in the fence while hogs and cattle cannot...
Brent

Dearhunter61
October 20, 2009, 06:32 PM
Actually guys it is both. Last year when I hunted this place I had hogs and cattle run the deer off. Amazing. I told some other guys on the lease what happened and they were shocked. They had never seen it before. Then this past weekend I was there and sitting in my stand and looking at the feeder that is in the photos and cattle ran off 5 does and yearlings. I had shoveled all of the corn you see laying on the ground out of the pen and had thrown it outside the pen and that is where the deer were standing when the cattle started moving toward them and ran them off.

I have another feeder that can be seen by the same stand and I do not have a pen around it.

Also I want to thank all of you who responded and especially to those who weighed in and help explain what we are dealing with here in TX.

Thanks!

Dearhunter61
October 20, 2009, 06:36 PM
ANd after much consideration I am going to try to pass on that buck. Perhaps if I see it in Dec and have not got a better one by then I will take it...that is assuming I even see it.

Last year the weekend before the season started I saw a magnificent 10 pointer. It was extremely tall and wide and very cemetrical...not sure if the spelling is correct...but I nor anyone else on my lease saw that buck during the season. So once the season begins I have learned all bets are off!

shortwave
October 20, 2009, 08:25 PM
Dearhunter, glad to hear you decided to wait. Is it a secret to how long the legs/uprights are on your feeder:confused::D.

Dearhunter61
October 20, 2009, 08:34 PM
No...it is no secret...well perhaps it is...because I do not even know...never gave it much thought so I have never measured them. Sorry.

Fat White Boy
October 23, 2009, 12:04 AM
The thing to remember about deer hunting is that the way it is conducted is different in every state. Each state has its own Department of Wildlife or Fish and Game or whatever, that lays down rules and regulations as to what is a legal means of take in that particular state and when you can do it. What may seem unfair in one state has no bearing as to what is fair in another state. As long as the gane was taken according to the Laws and Regulations for that state, it is fine with me.

72gator
October 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
I personally think it is awesome that you have the opportunity to hunt. You are blessed! There are a lot of people that don't have that luxury. I was always taught that only the wealthy hunted in Texas, due to the lack of public land. I guess this is accurate??? Here in southcentral Pennsylvania, there is public land on every mountain-top...well over 100,000 acres in my county alone. Hunting can be very difficult with massive tracts of forest, limited numbers of deer on the mountains, abundant (or sometimes nearly non-existant) mast crops, etc. The bucks in your photos are magnificent, IMO. You shouldn't have to defend yourself in regards to the hunting methods practiced in you region. I am sure if I was raised in Texas and had the opportunity to hunt, I would do the same as you. Thanks for sharing your photos... and have a blast in your stand this season!

30-30remchester
October 23, 2009, 10:17 AM
Not in my opinion though the bucks are nice they are tame baited animals. I would never hunt near or over bait HOWEVER I live out west where most mountainous counties have @80% public land. I have never had to hunt in an area that was all private with limited hunting opportunities. So without having experenced hunting back east I cant judge anyone or anything till I have had the opportunity to do so.

Art Eatman
October 24, 2009, 07:44 AM
if somebody wants to start the umpteenth thread about the ethics and morality of various hunting styles, feel free to do so.

This thread was intended to be about one simple question: Would you or would you not shoot that particular buck?

Since folks apparently have more interest in other things, enough...