PDA

View Full Version : Need some help selecting an M1A Standard Scope!!

M1A Owner
October 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hello,

I am new to this site and look forward to interacting with everyone. I recently bought a SA SOCOM 16 and love it. I came across a M1A Standard (yesterday) and purchased it too. I'm interested in buying a good scope for my Standard and would like any input. I will be using my Standard at the range and for hunting. Looking to hit targets 100 - 700 yards and will occasionally take a 1000 yard shot. (In the distant future when I get comfortable with it.) I've heard about the Leupold Mark VI line and like them. Just looking for good scope with a fair price.

Any opinions out there? Thanks.

Jimro
October 18, 2009, 10:09 AM
Even a fixed 6x scope will do for those ranges, heck a lot of people do it with just the iron sights.

But if you want, the Leupold Mk4 10x scope comes with a bullet drop compensated elevation turret calibrated for m118lr (also known as Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr or Black Hills Match 175 gr). It's a good scope, we use it on the M21 and M24.

The 3.5-10 Variable Mk4 is one I haven't played with yet, but it is used on the M110. I just don't have the hands on experience to recommend it, but Leupold is a good company.

Jimro

M1A Owner
October 18, 2009, 10:16 AM
I appreciate the advice. I thought about putting a FX scope on my SOCOM 16, but decided to just keep the iron sights.

beerengineer
October 18, 2009, 10:27 AM
my father in law is in his late sixties. he has two M1A's and was complaining that he couldn't see the target with the iron sights. so he bought a couple of Nikon monarchs. When he said he did that I worried that the optics would ruin the look of the M1A. I was wrong. They look great and now he can see what he's shooting at.