PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Springfield M1A...

hamhead
October 17, 2009, 06:22 AM
It's an "uncataloged" edition model# MA9829 M1A with 22 inch stainless NM barrel, 10 inch mag, all NM sights, bedded in a OD stock ...Anyone have any experience with these?

here's a file photo because I haven't received it yet ...

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z136/roadglider1/m1ab.jpg

10-96
October 17, 2009, 06:44 AM
Not sure what you're wanting to know- but you're gonna love it. I have the bedded NM in walnut, and the biggest pointers I can give is: Keep it properly greased where required. Keep the gas system clean. And don't excessively strip and reassemble it. The later because it has a more precise fit in the stock and repeated striping will waller it out over time and that hinders accuracy.

Edit: You mean 10 "round" mag?

az_imuth
October 17, 2009, 06:54 AM
Haven't seen that variation before. However, I have owned a Loaded model for several years now and agree with 10-96 one hundred percent...you will love it. Any of the M1A's are fantastic rifles that, while fun, are all business.

Congrats on your new rifle!

hamhead
October 17, 2009, 07:07 AM
All your thoughts about anything works - anyone have any experience with the Troy battle parts Chassis and Full stocks ...?

SR420
October 17, 2009, 07:16 AM
I worked on a prototype of the M14 MCS stock with Steve Troy. It is a nice stock and I'm told that they have
made some improvements to the attachment of the front band in an effort to better facilitate field stripping.
The TROY stock is heavy and it eliminates the original iron sights.

I prefer the SAGE EBR stock for my M14s. The M14ALCS/CV with the AR style receiver extension tube is lighter than other modern M14 stocks.

hamhead
October 17, 2009, 08:10 AM
That's a pretty nifty stock what's the cost on that ...?

mapsjanhere
October 17, 2009, 08:13 AM
The combination of composite stock and stainless barrel sure makes that 50 year old design look amazingly modern, but I always question the direct connection of stainless and carbon steel parts. Why set up a corrosion potential if you don't have to, stainless should reduce maintenance needs, not increase it.

hamhead
October 17, 2009, 08:30 AM
you'd have to be pretty neglectful for that to happen - honestly...:cool:

OJ
October 17, 2009, 11:38 AM
My "plain Jane" M1A from SA - composite stock - 100% reliable and fun to shoot. I shoot at the range every week and the M1A goes with me about half the time.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/M1A.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/M1AXSGHOSTRINGSIGHTS.jpg

The only things I've added are the sling and the XS sights - the aperture diameter is twice that on the stock sights - "ghost ring" - which I really like. The white stripe on the front sight is tritium - if you can imagine a night sight needed - but it is more visible in low light.

:D

Candiru
October 17, 2009, 12:24 PM
All your thoughts about anything works - anyone have any experience with the Troy battle parts Chassis and Full stocks ...?

I'd hold off on getting one of those until you've shot the snot out of the gun in its default configuration. Part of what you paid for is a bedded stock, so I wouldn't ditch that unless you hate it.

Mannlicher
October 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
hamhead,
what you wind up doing with your rifle, adding a different stock or sights, is going to be a function of what you DO with your M1A.
Range rifle paper puncher, or possible 'social services' weapon..........or something in between.

On my M1A Loaded, I found the NM sights to be totally useless for anything other than shooting targets in good light. I am using a low power variable scope now.

hamhead
October 18, 2009, 12:47 PM
We will be loading for the M1A - we are by no means novices to firearms as a matter of fact the weapon of choice back when I was in the Corp was the M14 - which is why I decided to purchase the M1A.

I have not had any hand on time with the M1A hence my original questions ...

hamhead
October 23, 2009, 05:31 AM
Just bought 500 rounds of Federal (Lake City) 150gr, Boat Tail 7.62x51 NATO rounds - as soon as I get them in I will head out to the range and start making a list ...

B. Lahey
October 23, 2009, 06:04 AM
If you are cleaning the barrel without taking the gas system apart (not always required if the piston is sliding free and easy), flip it upside down so excess solvent doesn't flow from the patch down through the gas port. Solvent/oil/liquid in the gas system does not do good things for reliability.

The newest military lube specs say you can use CLP for everything... don't believe it. They like grease.

hamhead
October 23, 2009, 06:20 AM
They like grease

What grease ...?

nbkky71
October 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
You can't go wrong with USGI plastilube or lubriplate. However, any high-temp grease will work fine. The M1A/M14 has certain wear points that need to be lubricated with grease. Over time these wear points will develop shiny spots and those spots will need to be greased.

Another point...

Since the action is bedded to the stock you'll want to minimize the number of times you remove/insert the action. Excessive in/out can accelerate wear on the bedding and lead to degraded accuracy.

There's no need to completely disassemble the rifle to clean it. The gas system is very robust and can go several hundred rounds before needing to be disassembled & cleaned. After each firing I'll usually clean the bore and the bolt face. The gas system gets cleaned about every 500 rounds (use the tilt-test) and I'll detail strip once a year for the thorough cleaning.

hamhead
October 23, 2009, 02:38 PM
thanks for the lube info -

thought I was gonna hear "kY" - lol ... just kidding ...

Anyway wife was so ****** when she found out about, and saw the M1A she demanded satisfaction - therefore, I just bought her a M1A Socom II Urban Commando - it's on the way ... (tough to find only one of my distributors had them)

BTW, we're both retired LEO's :D

ronl
October 23, 2009, 03:33 PM
I think you're going to love your rifle. I have one very similar and it is one of my favorite weapons to shoot. Only differences are that mine is in a walnut stock and it has a titanium nitride gas piston and the hooded rear NM sight. I take issue with the comment about the sights. I think they're excellent. I wouldn't think about changing the stock on my M1A. I have never even pulled the action in all the time I've had it and do not intend to until the round count exceeds 3000. I use Moly-graphite grease and Steel Shield to lubricate my weapon and have had nary a problem with the old girl. She's 15 years old and still shoots great. Congrats on buying, in my humble opinion, the best battle rifle ever built.

Dan K. Evans
October 24, 2009, 11:57 AM
I have a number of surplus weapons that I would like to fire. All look good, they are clean and tight with no obvious mechanical defect. Here is a short list: Schmidt Rubin, 2 Nagant 44 carbines, 91/30 Nagant, two MAS (one bolt, one auto), 24/47 Mauser, K98 Mauser, 2 SKS and several revolvers and semi-auto pistols. I have ammo for all of them. Most had tags attached suggesting that a qualified gunsmith check these out before firing. Occasionally some will post saying they received their Nagant rifle on Monday, put a patch through the barrell and fired it Tuesday -with no problems. I did have my M1 checked out before firing. In general, how safe are my weapons? Advice appreciated. Thanks, Dan

brian45auto
October 24, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have a number of surplus weapons that I would like to fire. All look good, they are clean and tight with no obvious mechanical defect. Here is a short list: Schmidt Rubin, 2 Nagant 44 carbines, 91/30 Nagant, two MAS (one bolt, one auto), 24/47 Mauser, K98 Mauser, 2 SKS and several revolvers and semi-auto pistols. I have ammo for all of them. Most had tags attached suggesting that a qualified gunsmith check these out before firing. Occasionally some will post saying they received their Nagant rifle on Monday, put a patch through the barrell and fired it Tuesday -with no problems. I did have my M1 checked out before firing. In general, how safe are my weapons? Advice appreciated. Thanks, Dan

advice?
start your own thread. how does this have anything to do with the OP's question?

Dan K. Evans
October 25, 2009, 02:23 PM
brian45auto: You are right. Sorry.

B. Lahey
October 26, 2009, 08:33 PM
What grease ...?

Doesn't seem to matter much. You could probably get by with bacon grease if it wasn't so salty.:D

I've used all sorts. The original Plastilube and Lubriplate work great, but are getting harder to find by the year. Regular lithium and aluminum greases work. Bore Butter Trigger and Locking Lug grease is good for cold weather as it is a bit thinner than the others, but still stays where you put it.

The only part that needs a gloopy greasing is the bolt roller. You can use one of the little applicators, a cut down piece of .45acp brass, or just glob a bit on with your finger. The bolt raceways, locking lugs, and a few other areas do fine with a light application of grease.

You should pick up a copy of "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide", written by TFL's own Walt Kuleck. It will keep your rifle in fine condition and prevent you from working outside of your skillset. It's well worth the pice of admission; you can buy a copy here:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

gngtools
October 27, 2009, 12:46 AM
Im green with envy. An M1A is on my short list of things to buy.

NWCP
October 27, 2009, 03:04 AM
+1 on the XS Ghost Ring sights. I have them mounted on my HK91 and they work really well. Much quicker target acquisition. Enjoy your new rifle!

brocken
October 27, 2009, 01:27 PM
M1A was on my short list too until I started looking at all the stuff I wanted to do to it.
It's a great rifle in stock configuration but I was hooked when I tried out one with the pistol grip stock conversion. I never knew a .308 could be so easy to fire.
I don't remember the manufacturer but it was about $500.
Couldn't convince the wife I needed to drop $2000 on a rifle. :(

SR420
October 27, 2009, 01:35 PM
There are a few pistol gripped stocks available for the M14.
As I stated earlier, the SAGE EBR with the AR style receiver extension tube is my favorite.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/Suppressed-MK14-Mod1.jpg

hamhead
October 27, 2009, 04:29 PM
Where can you get the Sage's ???:cool:

SR420
October 27, 2009, 04:38 PM
Clyde Armory in Athens, GA is your best bet, but SAGE stocks are in short supply
because TACOM RI is using up about 300 per month building M14 EBRs for AFG.

SoupieXX75
October 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
SR420:
That it one SWEET rifle! Very nice!!

geetarman
November 18, 2009, 12:10 PM
I bought a loaded M1A last summer and it is a joy to shoot. I do not remember the model but it has the composite stock and the rails on front. I put a Nikon Monarch on it and it shoots just fine. I still have some issues with the magazines being a VERY tight fit. I attribute most of that to the composite stock. No real complaints with the rifle and I have run about 800 rounds through it.

Kmar40
November 18, 2009, 07:52 PM
It's an "uncataloged" edition model# MA9829 M1A with 22 inch stainless NM barrel, 10 inch mag, all NM sights, bedded in a OD stock ...
That's a purdy rifle, Marine.