PDA

View Full Version : Red Ryder For Deer?

roy reali
October 16, 2009, 10:10 AM
What is the maximum range that I can drop a deer with my Red Ryder BB Gun? I realize that there are guns with more power, but how many of them hold 650 rounds of ammo? Should I go for a heart or head shot? The gun has factory open sights on it. I am thinking of installing a "Nikon" class scope on it so I can put the shot in the exact spot.

I will have a back up weapon. It is a wrist-rocket. Unlike the BB gun, it ony has a one round capacity. But it can fire a larger projectile. I am am thinking of leaving the sights on it the way they are. A scope on a wrist-rocket wouldn't look right any how.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Claude Clay
October 16, 2009, 10:12 AM
hello-----hellooo

lights are on but no one home:D

rodwhaincamo
October 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
I believe this thread is in response of the 30 Carbine for deer thread. I don't believe that it is enough for medium game due mostly because of the bullet design or lack thereof. But I do believe that if you were to keep shots to under 100 yds and in the neck it would work just fine. Especially considering the deer there are about the same size as they are where I am at (80-120 lbs). When I first moved here from Colorado I thought they were long legged greyhounds! I truely understand your vehement towards people taking pee shooters to hunt real game with. I don't care for the fact it's legal to use any centerfire 22. If all I had was a 222 Rem, and couldn't borrow anything else I would still go hunting, but keep my shots to maybe 150 yds and in the neck only. I feel you must respect the game you are killing. I wouldn't want to be gut shot with a 25 ACP and left for dead far far away from help. But I feel that you maybe took it out on him a little too hard. Just my humble opinion, and don't mean nor want to argue about this.
In fact it really chaps my *ss when I hear how people have hit deer 3-5 times with 22 calibers. They had no right taking the first shot obviously!
Ooops...I meant Roy:

LHB1
October 16, 2009, 10:53 AM
Roy,
No, no. You must have a Super Sniper class scope on that Red Ryder if you hope to hit the deer where you want. And paint the gun black so it will be more tacticool and deadly. If the RR gun fails to do the job, you can always upgrade to a 20mm war surplus cannon. ;)

Jseime
October 16, 2009, 11:27 AM
I think some form of howitzer pulled behind your truck would be ideal really.

Something versatile that you could fire high explosive rounds from for deer and maybe switch to flack rounds for a goose gun.

Mike Irwin
October 16, 2009, 11:36 AM
There are natives in Alaska who routinely harvest polar bears with their Red Ryders.

When the bear lifts his tail, there's a natural target-like aiming point.

Those solid copper/mild steel BBs (depending on manufacturer) have AMAZING penetration.

GeauxTide
October 16, 2009, 11:40 AM
Nosler has a new Partition BB that expands to 50 caliber and penetrates 4 feet.

Scorch
October 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
Roy-
I would never hunt with a Red Ryder, I would choose the Buck Rogers ray gun. Sure, it's a close range weapon, but have you ever seen the penetrating ability of gamma rays? But you have to be careful with either one. My mommy told me I could put my eye out if I wasn't careful.

davlandrum
October 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Way overkill. I don't want to waste any meat, so I prefer throwing rocks. I get the most accuracy from the smooth, disc shaped ones at about 750 gr. ;)

Dr. Strangelove
October 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
You'll shoot your eye out kid!

FrontSight
October 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
When did hunting become so full of gadgets? A torch and a cliff is all you need...helps if you raise your arms up high to look as big as possible, too...

Pahoo
October 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
I believe this thread is in response of the 30 Carbine for deer thread.
Yes, and then some. Hey, I'll bite !!!
I hope it's and older Red Ryder as they were made much better than the newer ones which have more plastic and made cheaper. Be sure and use the plated projectiles and not the standard ones .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Art Eatman
October 16, 2009, 12:36 PM
Scrap, the effectiveness of the arm-raising is a function of how recently you showered.

Chipsgt
October 16, 2009, 12:46 PM
A real man wouldnt NEED something so powerful.

I prefer to sneak up on the deer, and choke it to death.

rodwhaincamo
October 16, 2009, 12:54 PM
I like that 1 Chip!:D

cat9x
October 16, 2009, 01:48 PM
LOL

fast-eddie
October 16, 2009, 01:55 PM
I'd definately go with an eye shot, I pull them off at a few hundred yards (give or take 295 yards) all the time. I was considering going out with just my loin clothe and spoon next season.

koolminx
October 16, 2009, 02:07 PM
HA, you wimp Eddie, I can't believe you're not man enough to leave the spoon at home and just LOOK the deer to death like I do. :D

I gotta be careful while driving through state parks, if I look at a deer the wrong way it's a goner! ;)

Maromero
October 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
What you need is a Jack Baer 1911. Or is it a Les Bower?

williamd
October 16, 2009, 02:31 PM
Our laws in CA are restricive on use of lead that I have been driven to Red Ryder to get away from lead bullets. Good deal, because I can still find the ammo!!

Go for eye shots, then attack with Cub Scout knife (unless your teacher confiscted it!).

grymster2007
October 16, 2009, 02:41 PM
This

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52727&stc=1&d=1255722053

stoked with #105 magnum bands

goldfacade
October 16, 2009, 03:03 PM
I personally don't believe in hurting Bambi. But as an individual I do support your right to do a testosterone dump on a helpless deer via the Daisy RR. I on the other hand, being a much more evolved person choose to let the deer live in peace but still know that I am the "Boss". I typically do this during the rut when the male species seem to be their most aggressive. I place horns on my head and right before we start fighting in "his" traditional manner, I jump into a leaping arm bar and make him tap out. It is somewhat humiliating for the buck but that is the point.

I hope you will reciprocate the acceptance that I have shown you.

Regards,
Tom

sc928porsche
October 16, 2009, 03:06 PM
Im sending you a bill for the coffee and screen clean up!

armoredman
October 16, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've said it before, and will say it again - egad. :D

comn-cents
October 16, 2009, 04:33 PM
Roy I think I need to share with you what I tell my employees.
I don't care what you have in the pipe just put it down two hours before your shift. I'm not saying stop it, just asking for a two hour window.:D
Aim high is all I say.

ZeroJunk
October 16, 2009, 05:00 PM
They can be quite deadly. My cousin once shot me with one and I almost killed him.

Old Grump
October 16, 2009, 05:00 PM
Not a problem and you won't need a scope or a back up weapon. Get some Shotgun shells with HEVI-shot in them and use them instead of BB's. Your effective range will be 600 yards and the fine sights on your Red Ryder should be more than adequate for the task. Just be sure to make it a head shot or a heart shot because a shoulder shot will be so devastating that most of the meat on that side of the animal will be ruined along with a good percentage of the meat on the offside. I would suggest switching to moose or elk size game because a normal doe or a small buck would be completely devastated by such a powerful projectile.

fisherman66
October 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
Deja Vu?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288505&highlight=red+ryder

ZeroJunk
October 16, 2009, 05:10 PM
My ex girl freind was so ugly that she just looked at the deer and it killed them.

But, it tore up too much meat.

StiveC2007
October 16, 2009, 05:12 PM
I don't know about you guys but I like to caked myself in mud and pounce on the deer and take it out with my trusted wooden toothpick sharpend to a razor point, No need for that RR its def. an overkill, on the weapon part. :D:cool:

hogdogs
October 16, 2009, 05:15 PM
When you are as good as me ya'll can 'neek up on 'em and... Tap him on the butt, grab his tail, pull down and strike him with an open finger blow and reach in and remove his heart in one piece ready to cook as he looks on in fear!
Brent

foggy
October 16, 2009, 05:22 PM
Allot of people think you need a .300 win mag for dear but it is all shot placement. IMO if you can't hit what you're aiming at the caliber is pointless. Just keep you shots under 150 yards with some privi soft point ammo and the red rider will do just fine.

Edit: You may also want to invest in a good hunting knife like the Ka-bar just in case you have to finish it off.

wild willy
October 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
After some glass bedding and trigger work you should be able to shoot 1/8 inch groups all day long at 200yds I know this is barely accurate enough but if you limit your shots to less than 40yds I think you will be OK you might want to check into some bonded BBs

lizziedog1
October 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
You mention a 650 round magazine. First off, some states might frown on that, after all, 650 is more then 10. Second, all those BB's make one heck of a rattling noise. You will need to practice your calling skills. A tree stand might be to your benefit.

If not, try one of the air-soft guns. The ammo is much quieter. Make sure to get the camo-colored pellets though. The bright colored ones might spook the deer before they are in range.

CajunBass
October 17, 2009, 03:28 AM
Just remember. It's a RED Ryder you want.

Not the Pink one. People will think you're weird if you carry a pink one. ;)

darkgael
October 17, 2009, 04:39 AM
Back up?
It is a wrist-rocket.

Should be your primary. Marbles are the way to go - red ones - though maybe a bit heavy for deer.
Pete

wpcexpert
October 17, 2009, 05:37 AM
I put down the weapons for deer some time ago. Now, I lure the deer to within 5 feet from my treestand, then jump out and spinning roundhouse kick to the jejunum. While they are vomiting from the initial blow, I heel strike them in the spine.

But hey, a Red Rider is a fine weapon too. Should work out real well.

shortwave
October 17, 2009, 05:56 AM
Careful your deer are not wise to the fact that(for some reason un-known to man) the BB shot from a Red Ryder will not penetrate Levi material at point blank range. When we were kids,my brother proved this by catching me bent over reloading. Stuck his barrel on my butt check and shot me. The result was a nice welp on my butt, a bent barrel on my BB gun and a trip to the hospital to get stitchs in brothers head. Warning: Although they are an effective club, Barrels on a Red Ryder`s bend easy:o. Some 40 years later we still joke each other about it. How did mom and dad survive us 5 kids?:confused: Moral of the story: Make sure your deer aren`t wearing Levi`s or your in for a big fight!

Rigby1962
October 17, 2009, 06:24 AM
Finally someone with a sense of sporting. Do you plan on stalking or sitting in a stand.

Edward429451
October 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
If you do not take head shots only with the Red Ryder on deer, then you are being an irresponsible hunter.

Fred Rogers
October 17, 2009, 11:38 PM
Strap a bayonet to it, and fire it out of a longbow.

ninjatoth
October 19, 2009, 08:01 AM
LOL,this sounds just like a serious argument I have heard from a 10 year old.

Lawyer Daggit
October 19, 2009, 08:22 AM
Are you planning on shooting a Whitetail or are you just going to hang out for a fawn at short range?

Seriously, air guns are limited in their power, a high powered spring gun may give a .177 slug 100 foot per second of velocity which equates to 12 foot pounds of energy- enough for a carefully brain shot rabbit at low range. Your Red Ryder would have a velocity well below this, being a short child size rifle, rather than a large man size one with man size springs.

Don't even try it. You will wound an animal in a way that will see you anointed a cruel idiot by the media and probably be prosecuted for cruelty and bring shooters further into disrepute.

ninjatoth
October 19, 2009, 10:00 AM
It has enough power for whitetail,or Buffalo,or any game in north america for that matter.But don't dismiss it's power for home defense either.It's fast follow up shots means you can stop 3-4 bad guys at the same time.Be careful where you shoot though,because it will penetrate armor and the bb will travel at least 5 miles.

davlandrum
October 19, 2009, 10:53 AM
I actually had a serious discussion with a young man in Portland. At one of the parks, they had archery targets set up and a friend and I were shooting our hunting bows.

He had to come show us his knife and how well he could throw it. Honestly and emphatically believed he could kill a deer with it...:rolleyes:

sasquatch
October 19, 2009, 10:57 AM
As we all know........caliber really isn't all that important........shot placement is the key.

2damnold4this
October 19, 2009, 10:59 AM
Unicorns and other similarly sized game are regularly taken with Red Ryders so a whitetail should be no problem.

ninjatoth
October 19, 2009, 03:38 PM
If you can't afford a quality deer rifle as good a Red Ryder,then go for the Daisy Buck rifle.It is pretty much the same thing,but less expensive.You should spend a little money on a good scope for it too,at least a 25X 50 mm or better,you will need it for those 300+ yard kill shots.And for wrist rockets as a backup,I reccommend one with a sight and high velocity band,and at least 50 caliber round balls.50 caliber should down your bigger game such as brown bear,buffalo and elk,but for blackbear and whitetail deer,stick with the Red Ryder or Buck.

Colmac
October 19, 2009, 04:10 PM
Not being a deer hunter myself, but having had considerable experience with BB guns in my wayward youth, I'd suggest the greatest threat posed to a deer (that being any deer) when confronted by a Red Ryder BB gun toting deer hunter, at any range, lead or gold coated steel loads notwithstanding, would be death by asphyxiation - from laughing.

Without some people, wouldn't the world be a boring place!!

cornbush
October 20, 2009, 05:45 PM
I prefer to jump onto their back from an over hanging branch, once you re on grab hold of the throat and squeeze! You wont get any damaged meat, and best of all you dont have to track 'em either. Wear gloves and work on your grip though, my hand got cramped up on me one time and I got thrown, had to walk all the way to the gate on the enclosure with everyone laughing.

jhgreasemonkey
October 25, 2009, 07:40 PM
Strap a bayonet to it, and fire it out of a longbow.
While this is a highly regarded traditional method, some less experienced hunters are put off by the "rainbow like" tragectory of the projectile and general range limitations of 5 to 10 feet. Not to mention in the hands of an unskilled bowman wear and tear to the bow can be substantial. In rare cases serious injuries have occured.

ninjatoth
October 25, 2009, 07:50 PM
While this is a highly regarded traditional method, some less experienced hunters are put off by the "rainbow like" tragectory of the projectile and general range limitations of 5 to 10 feet. Not to mention in the hands of an unskilled bowman wear and tear to the bow can be substantial. In rare cases serious injuries have occured.

Not if it's a hickory bow B****!

jhgreasemonkey
October 25, 2009, 08:00 PM
Well said good sir. If used in combination with a bow made from true hickory smoked sausage the red rider bb gun if fitted with the proper bayonet serves as a truly devistating hunting weapon capable of the most obscene stopping power on thick skinned and dangerous game.

ninjatoth
October 25, 2009, 08:14 PM
you really must make sure to take a screw out of the butt plate and install a nock,then you should use only turkey feathers for the fletching,since they are the only ones big enough(note:the red ryder should be used first to harvest the turkey)Now,you can attach the bayonette to the muzzle with duct tape,or electrical,and you are ready to go.Since it is such a big projectile,it is possible to shoot it up to 500 yards and still see it in flight,great on long range shots!The energy produced is somewhere along the lines of a .700 nitro express,but don't worry,use hickory,hickory will withstand the forces.

TED STEIL
October 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Now you really should install a heavy duty bipod , have a BOSS system
adjustable recoil reducer & get a rangefinding,tactical nightscope, then you will be able to take those real long shots, no matter what distance,light conditions and also be able to dial in back pressure in order to optimize differnt BB types. I would also put some black duct tape over that stock medallion- so as not to spook your game due to glaring off of it.

Brasscatcher84
October 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe in a few years, you won't even need the Red Ryder or the wrist rocket. I hear obama has plans to sit down with the deer and talk them into giving themselves up!

MTT TL
October 29, 2009, 01:04 PM
Red Ryders are as outdated and unsuitable for deer as all Lever action 30-30s.

What you need is a select fire weapon like one of these.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/airgundepot_2078_37352314

Be sure to check out the video

http://www.airgundepot.com/eaa-drozd.html

awaveritt
October 29, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have used my red ryder for 37 years on whitetail deer and I have never lost one. It creates EXPLOSIVE hits on broadside shots and will cleanly take deer up to 700 yards. Remember, its not the gun, IT'S THE MAN!!!! (or woman:o)

If you do your part, the red ryder will come thru

This just in:

Now You've done it! Just got word the administration is moving to outlaw red ryders.

ninjatoth
October 29, 2009, 02:50 PM
Now You've done it! Just got word the administration is moving to outlaw red ryders.

I heard that they were limiting the number of bbs the gun can hold.It's no longer 200 bbs,it is a 10 round bb clip.

ninjatoth
October 29, 2009, 02:54 PM
I had a smoothbore co2 bb pistol that I used to put 5-6 bbs down the barrel and fire all at once.That by definition is an illegal shotgun.I no longer have it and good thing,the ATF would probably be here by now to kill me.

Big Bill
October 29, 2009, 03:42 PM
Go with the single shot RR; otherwize you'll be wasting too much ammo and you know that ammo is expensive these days. You know, if you were a real sportsman, you'd use the black powder RR.

Buzzcook
October 29, 2009, 06:09 PM
If a pointed stick was good enough for Og it's good enough for me.

DRice.72
October 29, 2009, 06:43 PM
Well great! Here I have been sweatin over which slugs to buy for my shotgun, what range to shoot for my gun! All this time here this post sat holding all the answers! A RR BB gun! Gah! (Takes ammo back to store)

Yankee Doodle
October 30, 2009, 07:11 AM
You're all a bunch of Sissies. My 93 year old grandmother used to be an avid Wild Boar Hunter. Her method was to taunt the Boar into charging, and then beat it to death with her walker. She then rammed her entire arm down its throat, grabed it by the anus and pulled back sharply. This turned the animal inside out, and eliminated the need to skin it. It also made for an easy gutting job.
Never mess with old folks, they know more than you do.
The old lady passed last month while working out at the gym. She had a heart attack while benching 400 lbs. I guess that 6 sets of ten reps was too much for her dear old heart to handle.
She will be missed.