PDA

View Full Version : kool-aid

fattymd
October 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
has anyone used kool-aid to bait deer. A guy at works says they love it! does anyone know if this is true?

Brian Pfleuger
October 13, 2009, 10:17 AM
I've never heard of Kool-Aid for deer. I heard that genuine vanilla extract was a deer magnet..... and then I had a veritable herd of them walk right by a whole bottle of it that had been spread on leaves and acorns and various plant life, downwind, and not so much as stopping for a sniff.

My opinion, if anything so simple as kool-aid or vanilla extract worked very well, or very consistently, then EVERYONE would have known it a LONG, LONG time ago.

davlandrum
October 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
I would guess it might work in 2 ways - curiosity and as a masking scent.

But I don't see myself trying it.

koolminx
October 13, 2009, 11:22 AM
I don't get the whole baiting a deer thing....

Is this practice around because nobody knows how to hunt, or is it some weird tradition?

Please no flames about me not baiting, because I will win in that particular firefight.... ;)

Brian Pfleuger
October 13, 2009, 11:28 AM
Is this practice around because nobody knows how to hunt, or is it some weird tradition?

Ok! You've got 14 acres, about 8 of it wooded. Go, show me how to "hunt"!

Come on man, we don't all have 100,000 acres on which to practice our spot and stalk hunting skills. We don't all have populations of game animals that even guarantee SEEING an animal in the ENTIRE season.

I agree, on these game ranches that are packed with deer, baiting is ridiculous. On the other hand, some of us hunt 14 acres with 4 other hunters and we might be lucky to SEE 10 or 15 deer in an entire 3 week season. There's also several places that I hunt where there are small windows of huntable land due to the location of houses and business in VERY close proximity. Deer can only be shot in those small areas. Your choice is sit and wait or sit and wait with some sort of attractant. You choose.

davlandrum
October 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
Drifting dangerously off-topic....

Koolminx - During my years with Uncle Sam, I had the opportunity to hunt a lot of different parts of the country. When I was stationed in Texas, I learned what a pain it is to run a corn feeder for months on end, when I was on the east coast, I learned how miserable it is to sit in a tree stand, freezing to death for hours on end. I came back to Oregon, and am again hunting the way I enjoy, still-hunting, once in a while spot-and-stalk.

It is very easy to think the way you hunt is "the right way and the only way" when you have not done it any other way.

Like the line in "Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys": He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

koolminx
October 13, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hey now! I never said my was was the right way or the only way!

I asked WHY, and I got a few weak answers which ALMOST make the cut as an excuse...

What state in our wonderful country only has several acres in which to hunt?

I've hunted in wonderful Deer and Thug infested Maryland, I've hunted in Pennsylvania, I've hunted in Colorado, I've hunted in Washington state (by far the hardest place to find local hunting acreage, but findable still) and I've hunted Utah.

Not once have I found it necessary to bait. (nor did I come home with game every time... Who does? seriously!)

Now, when hunters that I am familiar with go hunting, they generally go to where a deer would likely be found. They do not go to a 20 acre tract just because someone saw a deer there once...

So please give me a VALID and or ACCEPTABLE reason other than Physical Handicaps that would render one incapable of bagging some game were it not for bait.

Is that so hard to ask? You may or may not take note that in my original post I did ask if it was as simple as it being a weird (that's my tag name) tradition!
That's a simple and easy out for those of you that are offended by me thinking that baiting game is cheating. Take ANOTHER note that I said it was Cheating, but did NOT say it was unethical, hunting ethics have no priority to me in this instance.

Come get me guy's ;)

Sportdog
October 13, 2009, 04:03 PM
I used vanilla extract, 50/50 mix with water and sprayed several trees and the ground one evening while hunting out of my bowstand. A smallish buck was working the edge of the creek and when the vanilla scent hit him he went on alert. He did start to come in and closed the distance from about 120 yards or so to about 40. At that point he slowly turned away and went about his earlier business. I can't say for sure but I'm thinking that a mature buck would not have closed in. If I ever get my lazy behind out bowhunting I may try it again on one of the major trails that my stand overlooks. I think that a small amount of it will cause a deer to stop and maybe offer the shot that I need. I won't use it during the rut when the big boys come on my little hunting parcel in search of hot does.

teeroux
October 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
Ive seen kool-aid marketed as "hog coccaine" to bait hogs but haven't herd of it being used for deer.

gun nut
October 13, 2009, 04:12 PM
Don't know if this will draw in all areas but deer in my area are drawn to salt. Where ever I have put out salt (typically for cattle) deer will come to that area even to get trace amounts out of the ground where the salt had been.

Willie Lowman
October 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
Never heard of vanilla or kool-aid for deer. Salt licks and corn work.

A guy I know talked about a mixture of jello mix and corn to bring in hogs.

treefarmernc
October 13, 2009, 06:00 PM

First of all there are endless ways and strategies that can be used by the hunter. Baiting is a method of hunting. Baiting can be a way to alter the traffic and/or habits of game to the hunters’ advantage. The question can be asked all day why do people bait (or Not), just like the same can be asked about every other aspect of hunting(Why use guns when you can use bow and arrow? Is this practice around because now body knows how to shoot a bow?...throw a spear?...use a pocket knife… Taekwondo. Baiting is a preference. Some people have better luck hunting with bait. Some people (like me) are suited better to picking out spots with natural attractants.

On the other hand, some of us hunt 14 acres with 4 other hunters and we might be lucky to SEE 10 or 15 deer in an entire 3 week season. There's also several places that I hunt where there are small windows of huntable land due to the location of houses and business in VERY close proximity. Deer can only be shot in those small areas. Your choice is sit and wait or sit and wait with some sort of attractant. You choose.

Peetzakilla makes a valid point here where certain hunters are restricted and can not or do not want to travel further to hunt. Some would rather bait their 14 acres to attract game from surrounding lands and hunt in peace rather than hunt on overcrowded public lands or pay outrageous prices to lease larger tracts of land or join hunt clubs. The list goes own to the reasons some hunters use bait. Lifestyles and individual circumstances change from hunter to hunter, just like yours have lead you to hunt the way you do. Some bait, some do not. All are hunters and all have differing views on what hunting is.:D

treefarmernc
October 13, 2009, 06:06 PM
O yea, so far as the actual topic of this thread…
No I have never heard of using kool-aid.
:o

fisherman66
October 13, 2009, 06:07 PM
So please give me a VALID and or ACCEPTABLE reason other than Physical Handicaps that would render one incapable of bagging some game were it not for bait.

Why should anyone feel compelled to justify baiting? Should Brent justify using dogs? Should I justify using a rifle over a bow? Hunt the way you feel is appropriate within the rules and regs. I'll do the same.

si vis pacem, para b
October 13, 2009, 06:14 PM
I usually go fishing without bait but never seem to come home with anything.:)

fisherman66
October 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
You should try noodling!

ZeroJunk
October 13, 2009, 06:26 PM
Never heard of Kool Aid. One way to find out I suppose.

I used to bait, but it's easier just to fence them in.

troy_mclure
October 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
ive used squashed apples and pears successfully, but never heard of kool aid.

however, a squirrel did gnaw thru a capri sun i had left in my blind overnight.

as far as koolminx's anti baiting, it really helps when you live 3+ hrs from the nearest public hunting land, and dont have the time to go scout frequently(if at all) before season.

BIGR
October 13, 2009, 08:11 PM
An older gentleman swore that whitetail deer just loved grape kool aid. He was atruthful man that had deer around his house and I have no doubt that he was telling me the truth. He was not known to tell lies. I have never tried it (kool aid) so I can't advise it works or not. I can tell you though that deer will absolutely lick a trophy rock into the ground and after the rock is gone they will dig a crater to get the minerals out of the dirt.

Art Eatman
October 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
koolminx, I don't know where you live and hunt. I can tell you as fact that in much of south Georgia and in parts of Florida, these last ten years or so of people buying five- to ten-acre tracts for both residence and hunting has seen thousands of such subdividings. I know from observation that much of it is forested with jungle-like underbrush. So, for many of these newbie hunters, it's a case of "Don't bait Bambi, don't see Bambi."

Now let's move west: West of I-37 (San Antonio to Corpus Christi) and south of US 90 out to Del Rio, Texas, is the "Brush Country"; J. Frank Dobie's "Brasada". Cactus. Mesquite. Catclaw acacia. Gently rolling country, mostly. Not all that many big trees except along the creeks and down in the draws. The brush varies in height from head high to twelve or fifteen feet.

Walking through it is a challenge. So is hunting. The best way to see a deer, in many cases, is for him to stand on his hind legs and wave at you. Okay, you figure out how to hunt that country. :) Of course, you could emulate the carnival side-show act, Jojo the Dog-faced Boy: "He walks, he talks, he wriggles on his belly like a reptile!" A snake can get through that country just fine. Maybe that's why they have so many rattlers around six to seven feet long. :D

Brian Pfleuger
October 13, 2009, 09:52 PM
Koolminx,

You clearly have no idea what conditions some of us hunt under. I'm sorry if sitting in a tree stand or using attractant (not bait) isn't real hunting to you. Some of have no choice. Yes, we do hunt 20 acre pieces of land, and smaller. Yes we do come home without animals, more often than not. MUCH more often than not. No, many of us do not have a choice, for any number of reasons. No, it's not a matter of being lazy or not knowing how to hunt. If you can't or won't understand that then I feel no further obligation to explain it to you. That's the end of my "weak excuses".

fattymd
October 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm taking my 8yr old son this year. I thought maybe the koolaid will stop the deer long enough to give my boy a good shot. We hunt on 100 acres of land with 5 other people and i dont always bait. It's all pine so the deer dont stop moving. I was just wondering if the koolaid would slow them down or scare them off because of the fake fruity smell. Corn doesn't work because the eat it at night and that doesn't do us any good.

fattymd
October 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
O.k. i got another one. I live in Arkansas and have always heard salt was only useful in the summer, that in the winter the deer wouldn't touch it.

Hunley
October 13, 2009, 10:42 PM
Gotta agree with Art on this one. Come to the Southeast and the territory (and deer behavior) are quite different. I've talked with people from out West and up North who swear that the deer down here are more timid than anything they've encountered in their home states. Add to this the fact that "long range" shots on deer around here are 100 yards. I've often heard deer no more than 150 feet away and been unable to get a clear shot due to all the dang pine trees and grass. This is brush country. You aren't staking out rolling plains and making 500 yard shots.

Add to this the wildfire of subdivisions we experienced thanks to some bad hurricane seasons (03 and 04 saw many Florida residents and Katrina victims moving to southern GA), and you have issues. This is before you look at the fact that the "greater Atlanta area" now takes up a third of the state. Leases are impossible to find these days. Everyone that has one is holding onto it. Same goes for large tracts of land. This massive urban sprawl doesn't help with deer attitudes.

OttoJara
October 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
What size test would you use when using bait for deer? Would you use a bait caster or will a spining reel work OK?:rolleyes:

roy reali
October 14, 2009, 02:15 AM
The kool-aid deer are located in California.:D

OttoJara
October 14, 2009, 10:27 PM
After shooting a Kool-Aid deer, it is a must to crash through a wall and yell "Oh Ya!!!":D

koolminx
October 15, 2009, 12:07 AM
You guy's got it all wrong... I got my answer from Peetza and from treefarmer.

Fisherman, I never said anyone should feel compelled to do anything. I simply strongly stated a desire to have a valid reason for baiting which I got from two and a half reliable sources...

Mclure, I am NOT anti baiting, I simply sought an explanation I could live with.

Peetza, your second post wasn't necessary, (If I was CLEAR on the matter I would not have asked the question.......) and I am NOT attacking the baiters whether they're beginners or Masters!
I too (yes the mighty still hunter me) go home with nothing often enough, but I hunt differently than you and maybe that's why. I still think it's cheating, but that's just my opinion... I also never said it was lazy. {it is but I didn't say it... ;)}

People in Florida that have no land larger than a few acres, I feel sorry for you... {How can you hunt in that humidity anyway... :eek:}

Art Eatman, If I don't see Bambi I go to where I DO see Bambi, or, I don't get to shoot Bambi... Not so hard to understand. Plus, I've hunted in the treeless deserts of Utah (identical to Texas but not as hot) and bagged my game, It's not hard at all if one is persistent. I've never had a deer wave at me with anything but their tails as they are departing the area when I make a mistake in the field...

That is all. I reckon that some of you would never get a deer were it not for bait, just like some people will never catch a fish without Bait {I fly fish... it's baitless, and that makes me bette than you! Ha! ;)} It's all come down to territorial circumstances. I get it now.

later :)

K

Art Eatman
October 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
koolminx, it's the "go to" that's a problem for many. Some can afford it; some can't. Right now, even hunting guides are wishing there were more go-to folks. What's a non-resident license cost in Utah?

So a guy makes his house/land payment, pays the utilities, feeds and clothes the wife and kids--and by baiting, has some deer meat to eat. Better, maybe, than going to the bank to borrow the $2,000 to get in on a hunt deal. It's certainly not the best hunting there is, but it sure beats store-bought. :)

ZeroJunk
October 15, 2009, 09:18 AM
If I shoot them out the window eating my snap beans is that baiting?

koolminx
October 15, 2009, 10:32 AM
Art, I GET IT:D

I am a military spouse, and I'm a D.A.V. and I'm poor as a coyote ugly hooker... I have GO TO issues even with fishing, I can't go more than a half hour from home to fish which really get's on my nerves, but I'll not resort to Snagging them just to have food on the table.
I don't have the $ or time to go hunting out on the peninsula or in the mountains for more than a short weekend. So I rarely get my game I'm hunting...

I've never spent $ on a hunt with a guide, but, as young man I did guide work in Utah for Cougar, Bear and Elk. Never used bait but did put a LOT of work in spotting in the off season, but you don't go cougar or bear hunting for food. Ever, that's a portion of the hunt that's simply a sport, in that state.

I never overtly badmouthed baiters :), but I in my own opinion (and this is where I am going to get in trouble) cannot consider hunting with bait a skill.

I see no hunting skills being employed other than standing still... It's like tree hunters back east. I've walked directly in front of hundreds of them without being spotted when hunting Maryland... Why do they sit in a tree? ?? I have no clue... I tried it with a friend for about a hour... That was the stupidest feeling I ever had... I'm GLAD that there are people that do it because that leaves me more room to hunt without having to duck under some dude's rifle barrel... :)

I'm NOT a hater. I just had my curiosities about baiting... Which have been answered very thoroughly for the most part.

Now come at me about my dislike for tree sitters :) he he he... ;) ;) This thread is fun!

koolminx
October 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
P.S. I haven't been to Utah since 1987 hunting and forgot what the Non Res tag's cost...

Rigby1962
October 15, 2009, 10:56 AM
Why do I sit in a tree because on the ground I’m lucky if I can see 30 yds in the tree I can see close to a 100yds. Its the same reason most easterners use slug guns and 45/70 we dont have many 500 yd shots. It also helps you from not being see and to get your sent above their noses. While you cant understand it there are reasons hunting has developed the way it has. You said there is no skill involved and you felt stupid well I think its because you haven’t developed patience. Now try sitting in that tree from hours while trying not to freeze to death.

koolminx
October 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
You said there is no skill involved and you felt stupid well I think its because you haven’t developed patience. Now try sitting in that tree from hours while trying not to freeze to death.

I KNOW it's hard to not Freeze while in a tree stand! I also understand hunting in Brush and thick forests. It takes patience and cunning... {no lingual skills necessary;)}

I did feel dumb, and I know it is easier to see Etc. I've been to those woods and hunted those forests.

Being ex military and a military spouse takes me many places that's why I have so many hunts in other states without having to use a guide or an outfitter service. They run into the thousands of dollars which I've never had...

I wish you all a big bag of game this year and henceforth.

Maybe I'll try baiting... If it's legal in my state...

ZeroJunk
October 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
I can sneak up on the edge of a bean field and shoot a deer standing out in it without using a stand. I must be a great hunter.

koolminx
October 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
Zero, you are my new hero! I can't sneak like that! :eek:

I'm like a puma... I'm a stalker... ;)

hogdogs
October 15, 2009, 01:50 PM
And the last mention of experience with Kool-Aid as an attractant or cover scent occurred how many post back?:rolleyes:

wee bit o' thread veer?
Brent

ZeroJunk
October 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
Looked like it went to baiting in general on post number four to me.

oneounceload
October 15, 2009, 02:46 PM
Its the same reason most easterners use slug guns and 45/70 we dont have many 500 yd shots.

hmmmmm, maybe someone should tell Kenny Jarret that about his "bean field" rifles.... ;)

While I grew up in the East, and have now returned, I never hunted until I lived out West, where many weekends were spent driving hours to the area you hoped you would draw a tag for looking for deer. There weren't any trees to hunt from, but there were mountains where you could glass canyons, watch springs and seeps for track, maybe see some coming from an isolated alfalfa farm. In NV, if you were caught baiting, you were going to jail and losing your truck, gun and everything else, so I wouldn't know if kool-aid would work or not (how's THAT for topic re-veering, Brent ;)).

I was always told by the old timers that a proper hunt involved LOTS of walking, glassing, and really knowing the wind. While I realize here in the East, and especially the South, things are different, I don't know that I could sit in a stand watching a food plot I spent $$$$$ and time on just to get a deer. Frankly, I prefer moose, elk or antelope over venison anyway.

To each their own - as long as it is legal, responsible and ethical, then go for it

PRONE2
October 15, 2009, 03:19 PM
Nice call ZeroJunk:) It was baiting and waiting from behind a MAC/PC screen blind!

Art Eatman
October 16, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hey, koolminx, cougar's some of the tastiest meat there is! A bunch of us had some barbecue from a 60-pounder, a half-grown. Scrumptious! I can't run with the dogs, but I can hang a rag soaked in bacon grease on my south pasture fence and sit around and wait. :D

Our mule deer population down here in the desert is sparse; maybe four to the section. I've tried baits as attractants, just to check for movement. I've tried corn, calf manna, game blocks, salt blocks and alfalfa hay. All I get are javelina and feral cattle. No deer tracks around the dinner table. Damfino.

Might's well try Kool-Aid. Or apples, but then again, what would a mule deer know about apples? :D

Yellowfin
October 16, 2009, 12:35 PM
How are javelina for table fare?

Art Eatman
October 16, 2009, 12:58 PM
I like to slow-barbecue the hams. Gotta make an effort to keep the meat from drying; like all game animals, the meat is very lean. But, doable. The meat has a delicate and unique flavor to it. Done right, it's definitely Good Eating.

mapsjanhere
October 16, 2009, 01:33 PM
I got deer in my yard all year, and 2 h to the next legal hunting ground :(. The buggers just know the map and it shows "federal wilderness area" right next to "city limits". Makes me wonder if I can get away with hitting one with a baseball bat in self defense.