PDA

View Full Version : When will AR-15 prices drop?

Kurbsky
October 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
When will AR-15 priices drop? I want to buy a good stainless barrel Noveske on sale.

RNB65
October 6, 2009, 08:35 PM
It's been my experience that gun prices rarely go down. So the answer is, probably never.

bcarver
October 6, 2009, 08:57 PM
Lowers on sale now for 90 bucks plus 3.75 shipping per on and order of four.

Kits sell for 465 plus 21.95 for shipping per kit.

Total 580.70

www.del-ton.com

www.spikestactical.com

HankC1
October 6, 2009, 09:09 PM
LOWERS

Lowers on sale now for 90 bucks plus 3.75 shipping per on and order of four.

Kits sell for 465 plus 21.95 for shipping per kit.

Total 580.70

Link?

Chui
October 6, 2009, 09:14 PM
Prices HAVE already dropped. One can find Colt 6920s for $1400 and Bravo Company USA has a superb midlength carbine for $1,150. Go here: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com or call them and ask for Grant.

superchi
October 6, 2009, 10:05 PM
Prices are already pretty low :confused::confused::confused:

CMMG bargain bin is back, complete rifles for $600.

Complete lowers at the gunshows I've been to are around $230-$250 with RRA parts kits and receivers from RRA, Kaiser Defense, Stag, etc.

Colt 6920s were going for around $1,100 at the lowest I've seen, which I think was better than pre-election pricing. 6940s are going for around $1,300-$1,400. They're a little higher now but not the ridiculous $1,400-$1,500 for a 6920 like they were.

PKFirearms sells a complete Daniel Defense 16" carbine upper with 1:7 twist, chrome lined, M4 cut receiver and a RRA BCG (which you can replace with their in-house BCGs if desired) for just under $500, mate that with a lower of your choice and you have a good quality gun for around $800

Now I can't speak for Noveske gear, other than keeping an eye out for dealers on AR15.com that run sales on their stock, which has been happening more than occasionally lately.

Nick-Mc
October 6, 2009, 10:35 PM
I was going to say what others already have, the prices already are falling. I'm constantly seeing the used market in my area full of them.

Dave R
October 6, 2009, 10:38 PM
To be more precise, I think prices are where they were before the shortage. Back to normal. That's why I bought my first AR about a month ago.

sholling
October 6, 2009, 11:58 PM
Some have come down already but those with more demand than supply will take a while.

Bulldog
October 7, 2009, 12:33 AM
Colt 6920's have been at $1099 at the last few D/FW area shows. I think that's about as dropped as it's gonna get. :D

riggins_83
October 7, 2009, 01:04 AM
I think prices are pretty low, more an issue of retail stores getting higher prices versus people really looking for lower prices.

For example a local store in town wants about $1050 for the Bushmaster ORC while impactguns.com is selling it for $887.

I don't really see prices dropping. While supply and demand has driven prices somewhat it seems mostly at retail outlets... many internet stores still are selling at good prices.

NSO_w/_SIG
October 7, 2009, 02:53 AM
They have dropped, big time since the begining of the part of the year and I'd say they are about as low as they are gonna go, there are plenty of deals out there to be had. If you want Noveske you are going to pay a decent $ no matter what, it is one of the higher end rifles, it is like trying to find a Porsche at Camry prices, just not going to happen.

rugerfreak
October 7, 2009, 03:56 AM
I think the name Noveske is your problem---never was cheap---never will be.

Standard AR stuff is getting cheaper.

Technosavant
October 7, 2009, 09:16 AM
I think the name Noveske is your problem---never was cheap---never will be.

Very much this. The really nice stuff like Noveske and LaRue won't drop significantly in price because they're still selling well- they didn't make all that many to begin with, and the bubble was on the low and midrange rifles, not on stuff like that. The people stockpiling or just getting into ARs weren't buying Noveske, they were ordering Colt, RRA, and others (not that some of those aren't good, but Noveske has quite the reputation for accuracy).

The bottom can probably be considered to have fallen out of the AR market, but I don't see things going back to 1980s prices or the absolutely top notch rifles going for cheap.

thinkingman
October 7, 2009, 10:56 AM
The Obama-mania has run its' course....AR's back to reasonable prices.
Good quality ammo for 223 is down to $.40/rd and is available.

WhenceCameYou?
October 7, 2009, 10:06 PM
I built mine fairly cheap. A stripped DPMS lower I got for $120 and a Del-Tonic upper for around $560 with the M4 style barrel and feed ramp. That was 3 months ago and prices are still dropping IMO.

Kurbsky
October 7, 2009, 11:39 PM
Well...If Noveske is not going to on sale I will just have to find a rifle that is just as good and just as accurate as Noveske stainless barrel but cost less, if that is possible at all.

NSO_w/_SIG
October 8, 2009, 01:06 AM
I don't know about "just as accurate" but IMO, Sabre, Daniel Defense, and BCM are all great weapons that are good value for what you get vs price paid.

Technosavant
October 8, 2009, 09:45 AM
Kurbsky, I'd look at a BCM upper. Mine (16" carbine length gas) is astonishingly accurate. I imagine a Noveske or LaRue would be better at longer ranges, but my BCM has nothing to be ashamed of.

Christian James
October 8, 2009, 10:33 AM
Kurbsky, I'd look at a BCM upper. Mine (16" carbine length gas) is astonishingly accurate. I imagine a Noveske or LaRue would be better at longer ranges, but my BCM has nothing to be ashamed of.
+1. BCM makes great stuff.

GONIF
October 8, 2009, 12:41 PM
BCM is every bit as good as Noveske or LaRue. In fact the new BCM cold hammer forged upper can not be beat for twice the price . as far as price Quality costs ,and the prices are more than fair for what you get . what I want to see is Ammo prices come down to reality . :p

Kurbsky
October 8, 2009, 07:50 PM
BCM upper is not as cheap as you think. If you read the small print, it's sold without sights and some other things I believe.

wun_8_seven
October 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
cdnn has S&W m&p15 orcs's for 799 with 5 pmags also cmmg piston driven guns for 899.99

NSO_w/_SIG
October 9, 2009, 07:33 AM
I think 99% of people that are buying a BCM know that it does not come with a BCG, handguards or rear sight. They are still a value if you want a gun that you can run hard for a liofetime and never have to worry about it going down. When you compare them with the other rifles in their class, they are a value. All depends on what you want. I have 2 BCM's a middy and a carbine length and both are just as good as the Colt I am issued at work.

Selfdfenz
October 9, 2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411537957

Technosavant
October 9, 2009, 10:32 AM
BCM upper is not as cheap as you think. If you read the small print, it's sold without sights and some other things I believe.

You are correct. They don't include the BCG or the rear sights or the handguards.

However, you will not now nor will you ever see BCM or Noveske level quality or accuracy going for the same price (or even close) to what you'd pay for a new DPMS or Del-Ton (or similar lower end civilian market item). Even when sold by people trying to free up cash for emergencies, they'll still command good prices because they're good kit. Everybody knows that- the sellers, competing buyers, all of them. We might wish they'd go for $200 or less, but that is NEVER going to happen.

You won't get what you won't pay for. I understand budget restraints- I've been there. But if you want that level of performance, get used to the idea of paying for it. Good barrels and good bolt carrier groups cost money. So do good optics. And so on- you can save money and tell yourself you bought "just as good as," and you'll even believe it- right until your bolt breaks at the cam pin hole, your barrel won't group properly, your optic won't hold zero, and your rear sight breaks. You may not ever run it hard enough to get to that point, but if you want something that will take that punishment, save your money for the good stuff.

Kurbsky
October 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
I think that eventually I may pay for a Noveske but are you saying that BCM and Noveske are at the same level of quality/accuracy.

greensteelforge
October 9, 2009, 06:57 PM
The prices will drop precipitously once the reality that no big bad gun laws are coming sinks in, and people start wishing they still had the money they spent on those three AR's. I'm guessing the secondary market will be flooded over the next five or so years with slightly used AR's and lots and lots of ammo in surplus ammo cans. They'll be making these guns for a long time yet, so I wouldn't get in too big a hurry to have one while people are still being nutty about them.

Chui
October 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
Kurbsky, I'd not hesitate nor flinch at purchasing ANYTHING from BCM. It meets and/or exceeds all that Colt Mfg offers. As far as accuracy is concerned they make "battle" carbines. If you wish for "match" accuracy then go for the rifle uppers that offer such - like Noveske. Other than that it's probably a wash - emphasis on "probably".

johnwilliamson062
October 9, 2009, 08:49 PM
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=161&

Technosavant
October 9, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think that eventually I may pay for a Noveske but are you saying that BCM and Noveske are at the same level of quality/accuracy.

Quality (assuming you define it as decent combat accuracy, good reliability, and things generally being in spec), yes. Accuracy (defined as very small groups at longer ranges), I'd expect more potential out of a Noveske, but I'm not sure just how much more.

Kmar40
October 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
The prices will drop precipitously once the reality that no big bad gun laws are coming sinks in, Been watching the news lately. Antigun push started this weekend.

Kurbsky
October 10, 2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think people who bought extra AR-15 will sell them unless there is another Great Depression coming. I am not selling mines for sure. However, it looks like there was some extra capacity built during the AR boom. New brands appeared like Tactical Machining and others. They keep making inexpensive rifles and will be making tem to keep their people busy. That may bring down prices, not precipitously but considerably. I would say - up to 30%, no more. Will prime brands reduce prices? It depends on how tey position themselves in terms of marketing. I think Colt will but if someone positions himself as Rolls Royce of AR-15 - not a chance. I am not sure that it is Mr. Noveske's marketing strategy to be a Rolls Royce and push a brand that sells itself. My feeling is that he's is little bit more sophisticated than that. But only time will show. BCM may have excellent products but their pricing and marketing combined are terrible IMHO. I have an MBA in Marketing if that matters.

KChen986
October 10, 2009, 01:18 PM
Found some Daniel Defense Quad-Rail AR-15s for $1,299 + $250 value card for Daniel Defense accessories.

They were going for approx $1,500 without the $250 card before the drop. I think prices have dropped.

Saw a Colt 6940 for $1350 or so a while back too. Compared to the $2,000 dollar mark before, I think prices have really dropped.

GONIF
October 10, 2009, 03:26 PM
FYI ,the new BCM cold hammer forged uppers are as good or better than Noveski . BCM is a bargin for what you get ,the Quality is secound to none .for the folks who want the best at bargin prices BCM is the way to go . YOU JUST CAN NOT BEAT BCM QUALITY.

Christian James
October 10, 2009, 06:38 PM
FYI ,the new BCM cold hammer forged uppers are as good or better than Noveski . BCM is a bargin for what you get ,the Quality is secound to none .for the folks who want the best at bargin prices BCM is the way to go . YOU JUST CAN NOT BEAT BCM QUALITY.

I don't know if I'd claim that just yet. BCM makes good stuff, and Paul has a well-earned reputation for attention to detail, but the new cold hammer forged uppers have only been out for a couple of months. I don't think that anyone can definitively claim that the they are as good or better than Noveske. Do you have both? If so, have you done a head to head comparison?

Come and take it.
October 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
They are getting pretty cheap now.

Sixer
October 11, 2009, 08:10 PM
I was at a gun show last weekend and stopped by the CMMG table. They had about 2 dozen AR-15's in their "bargain bin" for $599 a pop. These all had VERY minor cosmetic flaws, but still decent quality, functioning AR-15's.

Prices are coming down. The question is how long will they keep coming down... or how long before they start going back up?

ETA - johnwilliamson062 has the link. Must have missed that :)

mkim1120
October 12, 2009, 06:46 AM
i hope they actually go up so i can sell mine! :D

csmsss
October 12, 2009, 07:44 AM
I think that the federal government should repeal the laws of economics so that ignorant to poorly-informed firearms lovers can obtain dirt cheap, if not entirely free, AR-style rifles in perpetuity.

gyvel
October 12, 2009, 08:11 AM
As soon as the military adopts a new weapon and all the surplus M-16s hit the market, the price will drop.:D

MGMorden
October 12, 2009, 04:05 PM
Sixer: my guess is the prices aren't going back up for a while. The "Obama scare" pushed up demand enough briefly that people went into a buying frenzy. Production shot up to compensate. Now we're sitting the the factories in overdrive. As soon as people figure out that they don't really need/want 6 or 7 of them, the used market will be flooded with a glut of them, and the new parts market will take a beating too.

Overall though, I must say that as of right now, the prices certainly aren't bad. Availability on some parts still hasn't evened up completely though. I'm still waiting on an upper I ordered from Del-ton almost 4 months ago . . .

Truthfully given the federal law that the receiver is the rifle, if I WAS inclined to stock up in anticipation of a ban I'd be more inclined to buy stripped lowers. I'm sure parts kits would still be available long after any ban, but the lowers would be what essentially got banned.

Kurbsky
October 20, 2009, 11:01 PM
I think R-15 prices may also drop because new gas piston imports may eventually reduce demand for DI AR-15s. I see a lot of people buying Sig lately instead of AR-15s.

Warchild
October 21, 2009, 06:41 AM
I don't think that anyone can definitively claim that the they are as good or better than Noveske.

And no one can claim they aren't as good either. From all reports I have read, BCM products are top notch, from all reports I have read Noveske products are top notch, just because Noveske charges more for theirs doesn't mean they are better. We aren't talking Ferarri vs. Chrysler here, it's not so much a matter of Noveske using much more expensive materials, from my understanding both use relatively the same materials, Noveske simply charges more because they can. BCM is where it's at for the average shooter that doesn't want to break the bank.

Kurbsky
October 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
Well, regarding BCM vs. Noveske, I already have 3 AR-15s and if I buy one more I really want it to be super accurate, actually #1 in accuracy. Noveske claims to be #1 in accuracy, at least for stainless barrel rifles. Did anyone do independent shooting comparison to say that BCM is just as good?