PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell's Mausers

hogdogs
October 5, 2009, 09:01 AM
Are their items as nice looking once purchased as they are in the advertisements?
Brent

SigP6Carry
October 5, 2009, 01:31 PM
I've not ordered from them, but from what I've read about them (when I was considering getting a Mauser) was that they overcharge for their guns and restamp their receivers. I'm sure their guns are great and look great, but they are really knocked down from being collector grade by what they do to make them more appealing. You're better off ordering a Mauser or Mauser style gun from a place like AIM, J&G, SOG and Simpson's than Mitchell's, just because you pay less for a more original piece.

tater134
October 5, 2009, 02:40 PM
If youre looking for a pretty mauser Im sure theyre fine but from a collectors point of view theyre worthless.The rifles they sell are refinished and pimp shined and Ive heard that they restamp many of their parts.If youre looking for an original k98 to collect you can get one much cheaper elsewhere.If youre just looking for a shiny shooter then the mitchells should fit the bill.

gunney 67
October 5, 2009, 03:03 PM
Plus they are some of the rudest people I've talked to in this industry. I won't be buying anything from them.

mp25ds4
October 5, 2009, 04:33 PM
they look as nice in real life as they do in the pictures but you better off looking for a gun on gunbroker.com because you'll be able to find one for a better price. and im pretty sure they refurbish the guns, so if your not worried about collector value then all you have to worry about is price

CGSteve8718
October 5, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yes they do look that pretty, if that is what you want. Collector value isn't knocked down, it is completely devoid. Read about Mitchell's over at surplusrifleforum.

I will never buy from them because I actually like history, and they are a travesty to collectors of historical rifles. I have no idea how they are in the BBB with their dishonest ads and why they are advertised on the HC when they do little to preserve it.

Sabot
October 5, 2009, 06:48 PM
I wanted to buy one because they look so nice in the picture instead of the beaters that I see for sale on web-sites. Since I live in CA they won't sell directly to a C&R licence holder in-state, so I found one on Gunbroker. The gun looks absolutely beautiful. I don't care about being a purist, i'm very satisfied with my "brand new looking" Mitchell's Mauser. ;)

Tom2
October 5, 2009, 07:43 PM
I know of one guy that said he bought one a few years ago from them, it had a problem, he sent it back and was at wits end trying to get it fixed and returned. He did not like the dealings he had and disposed of it when received. They just seem too good to be true to me just from looking at the ads. If you want to overspend for superficial redone cosmetics, go for it. You might be able to get a surplus Yugo cheaper and fix it up yourself to look ultra pristine if it does not already, and save alot of cash.

Shane Tuttle
October 5, 2009, 09:39 PM
Bought a Yugo M48 from them a few years ago. The rifle itself is in nice condition. Another friend ordered one at the same time I did and the barrel on the inside was pitted/corroded so bad the borelight couldn't make it halfway through. Mitchell's told him it would "clean up after firing a couple dozen rounds through it". I was embarrassed I recommended them to him after that debacle.

You're better off ordering a Mauser or Mauser style gun from a place like AIM, J&G, SOG and Simpson's than Mitchell's, just because you pay less for a more original piece.

I agree with every suggestion sans Simpson's. Their store is just south of where I live. The customer service (or lack thereof), attitude, abuse they put their guns through, and price are utterly disgusting. I'd rather eat dirt as supper for a week and buy from Mitchell's than deal with Simpson's Limited.

SigP6Carry
October 6, 2009, 12:48 AM
really? I never heard bad things about simpsons, I simply assumed, given how credible they seem, that they're decent. I believe right now they've got a Vz. 24 for around 150-200. Don't know the condition, but I e-mailed them about it was told to call. Still never got around to it. I'll be sure to stop recommending them till I get some first hand.

Homer2
October 6, 2009, 08:02 AM
Mitchells will make you feel better by giving you $400 worth of accessories for FREE!!!!11!

What they don't tell you is that those same accessories come free from the importer. For the rifles that they don't refinish and force match, they just mark up the price by a few hundred dollars. They won't admit that they refinish or force match these, but there are no 'original matching' Soviet capture k98 rifles. They will give you a certificate that says it is, though.

Shop around and you can find dealers that will offer hand pick rifles for a lot less.

gyvel
October 6, 2009, 10:17 AM
And the saddest part is that Mitchell's is doing it to Luger pistols now. Oh, and since they are a regular advertiser in both The American Rifleman and Shotgun News, you'll never see a bad word about them in those publications.:mad:

bigjack59
October 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
I was wondering about their Lugers. Just don't know about buying a firearm from someone that would restamp a rifle and sell it with a "certificate". Is anyone out there sure Mitchells has done this? I am looking at this Luger, thinking it is too good to be true. Hmmm....

johnwilliamson062
October 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
I liked the look of their "tankers." A little expensive considering all the mil surplus options, but I would like to have one. Sorry to hear they have problems.

Drachenstein
October 7, 2009, 07:41 AM
If you want a nice Luger go to Checkpoint Charlie's or the Luger Forums sale section. Mitchell's? No thanks.

madcratebuilder
October 7, 2009, 09:27 AM
And the saddest part is that Mitchell's is doing it to Luger pistols now. Oh, and since they are a regular advertiser in both The American Rifleman and Shotgun News, you'll never see a bad word about them in those publications.

One of the reasons I'm not renewing my Shotgun News subscription. Another sign of greed and corruption.

jsmaye
October 7, 2009, 09:55 AM
Give them a break - in this age of declining paper magazine revenue, it's hard to turn down a client who springs for a full-page four-color ad. But I suppose some people would rather they go out of business while standing on someone else's principles.

bigjack59
October 8, 2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the Luger tips! Mitchell's just doesn't look right to me.

Tom2
October 11, 2009, 08:20 PM
All their ads read like they are targeting the uninformed, the senile, the vast masses that do not know a Mauser from a Marlin. Their tales remind me of some stuff I hear at gunshows from dirty dealers.

James K
October 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
Their ads for the M48's were masterpieces of "not quite" lies. Anyone who wants to know how to deceive the public without actually making fraudulent statements should study those ads.

Jim

Erfurter1937
October 11, 2009, 08:49 PM
I did not expect much from my $300.00 Mitchells Kar 98 K service select grade and was very happy with the gun. It shoots great. I did not like the polished bolt so I cold blued. GunBroker and GunsAmerica have some nice ones on as well and they are going up in price for a not so great Russian Capture.....Spend some time searching and you will be surprised at what you can find. A vet bring back is going to cost a lot of $$$$$...

Wulfmann
October 15, 2009, 03:44 PM
Mitchell's does not restamp the receiver. They weld over all the numbers on all the other parts, grind them down and stamp the serial number of the receiver on those parts.
They are forgeries pure and simple.

You think you like your clean Mitchell's???? Know that anyone and everyone that knows anything about Mausers considers a Mitchell's buyer and ignorant easily deceived person. Show up at the range and we will be polite but don't expect your opinion to be worth a nickel on gun knowledge.

However, they are safe to shoot and pretty even if wrongly finished.

I have seen people innocently advertising them as all matching all original on GB auctions. Most don't sell but when they do I know someone who is clueless about K98ks has just been hoodwinked and someone else is relieved to have dumped a fake.

Mitchell's makes you believe you don't have to do some research, learn a little something about this important rifle's history because you can trust them.
Bottom line, you can not trust them they sell forgeries for a living.

Wulfmann

zombieslayer
October 23, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think G&A just had an article praising them. A friend has a C&R and everyone I know says stay away from Mitchell's. Just heresay, but the concensus around these parts is just buy one somewhere else. You thinkin of huntin hogs with a Mauser??:D

gyvel
October 24, 2009, 03:34 AM
And I'd bet my bottom dollar they advertise in G&A, too.:mad:

medalguy
November 2, 2009, 10:20 PM
Knowing all about Mitchell's, my son wanted a Mauser he could take out with his friends and shoot at tin cans. I didn't want him to use my nice 98 so I bought him a Mitchell's. We inspected it on receipt and it's everything said here-- refinished, restamped, welded and remarked, etc., but it's clean and headspaced correctly and he wasn't going to destroy my nice Mauser if he dropped it on the rocks.

Well it does shoot well and it's accurate. That's about all I can say good about it.

Tikirocker
November 3, 2009, 05:28 AM
Or ... you could have bought your son a real K98 ( not re-birthed ) that shoots just as well - just saying.

Tiki.

dutchy
November 3, 2009, 09:51 AM
Interesting reading.
Every time I read a G&A, I am impressed by their ads.
Seeing the content of these posts, I conclude that they are bordering on scamming the customers. In a law suit eager society as the USA, has nobody taken them succesfully to court?
Has anybody talked to Ralph Nader?:o

44 AMP
November 4, 2009, 05:31 PM
Nice looking, historically incorrect, sort of. They are exactly what they say they are, but what they say makes you think they are telling you something they are not. So they are not technically telling lies.

Their prices are way above what decent historically correct (common) Mausers can be had for. But they do look pretty in the ads!

As far as those who think G&A, Shotgun News, and the American Rifleman are scamming us by running Mitchell's ads, grow up. They sell ad space, to survive. Mitchells money is as good as anybody's, and they aren't in the business of verifying advertisers claims. That would be a consumer reports thing. I'm not defending Mitchell, but they aren't doing anything illegal, just unethical. Buyer beware, and all that. The magazines aren't exactly makeing the kind of profit that allows them to be choosy about who they sell ad space to. Heck, even "male enhancement" products have ads in some of the mags, they are that desperate for the cash.

gyvel
November 5, 2009, 05:42 AM
As far as those who think G&A, Shotgun News, and the American Rifleman are scamming us by running Mitchell's ads, grow up. They sell ad space, to survive

It's not the advertising that bothers me; It's the articles with glowing reviews they give to those that advertise their products in those publications.

As far as I'm concerned, they can accept all the advertising they want from Enzyte or whomever, but when they start writing articles about what a great product Enzyte is and how well it gives you a really big one, then a line has been crossed. In my mind it is something akin to prostitution.:mad:

heirmossy
November 11, 2009, 08:50 PM
There is nothing historically correct about Mitchell's k98's. They're RC pimp shined renumbered messes. The Germans NEVER issued a k98 with a bolt in the white. The stocks are horrendous as they've been sanded down to toothpicks. The accessories in the ad pics are Yugoslavian not German. There is more history in an RC k98 than there ever will be in a Mitchell's. If you only want a good shooter look at a Yugo 24/47, M48, M48A or M48bo.
All are good shooters as they were rearsenaled and have beautiful bores.

Elbalawyer
December 1, 2009, 10:10 PM
I bought at 48 that is a real nice rifle. Very clean. Actually nothing special, though. I also have a 98 that is a Russian capture and refinish that I love. Paid less that the 48 and is a much better rifle. Mitchell is overpriced and just not that great a product. If you don't want to clean up a surplus rifle and have lots of money, go ahead. The Luger's are available much, much cheaper elsewhere.

Elbalawyer
December 1, 2009, 10:11 PM
:eek:The 98 did not come from Mitchell. Forgot to post that.

campperrykid
December 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
Even the Yugo 48's that Mitchell sold were a complete rip-off. Deceptive but carefully lawyer-proofed ads , useless Certificates and a fancy box.
All for 2 or 3 times the price that honest dealers were charging for the same model of rifle in equal or better condition.

gyvel
December 16, 2009, 04:13 AM
Every time I read a G&A, I am impressed by their ads.
Seeing the content of these posts, I conclude that they are bordering on scamming the customers. In a law suit eager society as the USA, has nobody taken them successfully to court?

The gun industry is the last great frontier of unregulated commerce. There are no watchdogs to protect the consumer from scams, ripoffs, and otherwise crappy products that get hyped to the max but don't work.

And the reason for that is that the consumer product watchdog agencies just don't give a fat rat's butt about whether a gun is fairly and accurately described or if a product performs as advertised or whether new handguards for your Ar 15 are made from pressed cardboard. Most, if not all, would just as soon like to see guns disappear.

I'm just thankful we have these forums to expose some of these frauds and scam artists.

Tamara
December 16, 2009, 07:37 AM
The gun industry is the last great frontier of unregulated commerce. There are no watchdogs to protect the consumer from scams, ripoffs, and otherwise crappy products that get hyped to the max but don't work.

You obviously don't own any hot rods, or computers, or knives, or stereo systems, or... :rolleyes: