PDA

View Full Version : What type of hair is this?

mmtecg
September 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Alright. I have something around my house that is killing out cats by the bucket load. I have shot two problems foxes and we have about 100 raccoons an acre, but this hair looks like some kind of pig hair or something. Please give me your opinion.

HAIR SPECS: :D

About 1-1 1/2 inches long

Pretty stiff

Tapers quite obviously

I found it in a quarter sized wad right next to the swamp where I live.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee245/mmtecg/DSC00270.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee245/mmtecg/DSC00271.jpg

GeauxTide
September 23, 2009, 03:07 PM
Send him to my 'hood. Looks like a hawg. Hogdogs would be the best resource.

mmtecg
September 23, 2009, 03:11 PM
I was thinking that. Kind of weird that a pig would go onto a dock that goes about 15 feet into the swamp. No over any water or anything, just siting on the reeds and... muck.

Thanks guys. Michael

shortwave
September 23, 2009, 04:37 PM
mmtecg, what area of the country do you live in? In a warm climate, seems as though thats alot of hair for a pig. Check with hogdogs but I`ve never seen hog hair in a wad or really thick. Any Oriental restaurants close by?:D

jammin1237
September 23, 2009, 04:52 PM
judging just by the thickness and length of hair? hog, porcupine maybe... what area are you from?

koolminx
September 23, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hog ain't eating no dang old CAT! :rolleyes:

essohbe
September 23, 2009, 05:28 PM
It's Chupacabra mane. Could also be raccoon...

SavageSniper
September 23, 2009, 05:38 PM
Might be a Skunk Ape, but I'm betting on a hog.

simonkenton
September 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
essobe beat me to the punch.
There is no doubt, you have there a Chupacabra:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/simonkenton/chupamex.jpg

davlandrum
September 23, 2009, 06:31 PM
Killing cats - are you finding killed (chewed up) cats or just dead cats?

oneounceload
September 23, 2009, 06:52 PM
wait a sec - you're COMPLAINING about cats being gone????? JUST KIDDING!!!!

PBjafa
September 23, 2009, 07:31 PM
wait a sec - you're COMPLAINING about cats being gone????? JUST KIDDING!!!!

+1
But I'm not kidding

Art Eatman
September 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
Uh-uh, simon. Hair is what chupies ain't got no of.

It could be that the hair of the OP is from a hog. Maybe there's something that lives around the swamp which figures piggies = food and clawed or bit out a chunk of hair. Or, maybe, a couple of pigs fighting. I've seen clumps of hair missing from the hide of a buck who'd been fighting during the rut, so it could be something of that sort.

fisherman66
September 23, 2009, 08:23 PM
That's Puma pubic hair.

Rigby1962
September 24, 2009, 05:20 AM
I was gonna say Big foot but dont ever recall him killing cats. Seriously though go get a trailcam and set it up where you found the hair.

hogdogs
September 24, 2009, 05:55 AM
To me, It appears to be hog or black bear...
If a hog can catch the cat... he will will relish the tasty treat. Heck we toss the guts, hides and bones from deer and everything else into the hog pen and they fight like starving dogs to get it.
Brent

Maromero
September 24, 2009, 06:47 AM
Where do you live?

mmtecg
September 24, 2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I live in Flagler Beach, FL and I am beginning to think that maybe something else is doing the killing.

Michael

koolminx
September 24, 2009, 10:20 AM
Ain't no way in the world a Hog can CATCH a cat......

I've never seen a hog that can climb a tree or a post... Cat's are tough.

a7mmnut
September 24, 2009, 01:19 PM
Skunk.

Russ5924
September 24, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hanna Montana on a bad hair day:) But you may have coyotes cats and small dogs disappearing is one of the first signs. They got so bad where I used to lve in NY when training my Brittany's I carried a shotgun.

shortwave
September 24, 2009, 05:01 PM
To me, it appears to be hog or black bear. hogdogs, would a hog in Fla. at this time of year have enough hair to come out in a clump like that:confused:? Didn`t think it would be that thick.

hogdogs
September 24, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hogs are a hairy critter in the wild... As for that clump, it is pretty thick.
when we catch a hog, the smartest thing to know is that if in a bind, it is wise to go for the hair on the top of their neck. It aids in keeping a distance 'tween their cutters and your legs.
Brent

shortwave
September 24, 2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks hogdogs, I`ve seen wild hogs(also the movie:p) up north here that were fairly hairy but didn`t think they`d have much hair in warmer southern states. Guess they`d have to have some for protection from the sun.

Willie Lowman
September 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
Guys, chupacabra means "goat sucker"

If it is killing cats it would be the smaller but equally nefarious chupargato. :p

Double Naught Spy
September 28, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hair is very diagnostic at a microscropic level, at least readily down to family in most cases. Some can be fairly readily identified at the macroscopic level, but much closer and with better resolution than what is in the above images. That clump of hair could be any number of critters, although most of the best guess assessments have already been taken.

troy_mclure
September 28, 2009, 01:09 AM
nutria?

gunn308
October 1, 2009, 11:40 PM
Don't know about down there but up here when the cats start disappearing there's a fisher around they love cats and porcupine, we call them the black cat of the woods, I watched one make a bear back off from a bait that 250 lb. bruin just waited his turn he wasn't gonna tangle with that 15 lb. weasel. That clump of hair looks to be too stiff for fisher.

Lawyer Daggit
October 2, 2009, 01:24 AM
Is the hair like bristle?

Feral pigs usually cannot avoid rooting and tunneling under fences- if they are about there is usually plenty of sign.

onlyme
October 2, 2009, 11:30 PM
That is one of my favorite places to visit when I come down for bike week... I ain't seen no hogs (But I wouldn't mind now that I want one) ...but I have seen the alligators and crocs there and down the west coast and up the east coast while I camp. ??? You sure the winds have'nt blown in "new" but "old" neighbors? Ok about the cats, if u don't care, but I hope you don't have dogs that run that beautiful beach.:confused: Sorry, just a thought. You have the most beautiful place in the world for riding though!!!