PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Preference?

lizziedog1
September 21, 2009, 07:00 AM
Who, if anyone, do you go hunting with?

Do you prefer to hunt alone? Do you usully go with a trusted buddy? Do you like to go hunting with a bunch of other guys?

Most of the time, I hunt solo. Once in a great while I'll hunt with a good friend of mine. Rarely do I go hunting with more then one other fellow. In fact, I can't remember the last party hunt I went on.

Scout
September 21, 2009, 07:06 AM
For the past 15 years or so, alone...but my son is now 12, so I have an up and coming hunting buddy when he's ready.

Daryl
September 21, 2009, 08:53 AM
Much of the time I go alone, but I have a few select friends that I like to hunt with (one at a time).

Once in a great while, I'll take a "new" person out hunting. Sometimes it works out and I gain a friend from the experience; usually I get a little frustrated with the lack of...something...and nothing comes of it other than another day afield.

I don't care for hunting in a group. Having several around camp is "tollerable", but I prefer to not have to deal with it.

I've been called "anti-social", but I'm really not. I'm just sort of particular about the company I keep.

Daryl

scottycoyote
September 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
i hunt alone and with one or 2 different people usually. The large party hunts are enjoyable but i find them exceedingly dangerous, and its also hard for me to take a large hunt like that seriously......all those people tromping thru the woods takes the edge off for me

Sportdog
September 21, 2009, 09:22 AM
I like the solitude of hunting alone but will hunt with other family members and close friends. I've never been part of a "deer camp" and have never group hunted birds or rabbits. I've never had the desire to do the group thing. I've also found that it is not easy to find another person that has similar interests and goals. It's not that they are not good people or good hunters......just take a different approach to hunting than I do.

watchale
September 21, 2009, 09:57 AM
I like to go with my 2 boys so they can learn. I really like teaching them. Other than them 2 I found that the only time I have fun and not get frustrated is with my step pops. We been hunting buddies since I was about 12 years old.

PRONE2
September 21, 2009, 10:00 AM
I have been hunting with my nephew since he was 10yrs old. Have to say it has been a great pleasure to watch him grow into a good hunter over the last 17 years, and we still hunt together. In the past 3 years my wife has started to hunt, and I have to say it's a blast to hunt with her also. We have the same feelings about hunting and it's time we can share toghter as well.

ojibweindian
September 21, 2009, 10:05 AM
My son and daughter. Daughter hasn't been out with me for the past few years as she's 15 and has a boyfriend that soaks up her spare time. Got a way around that, though. I think the boyfriend's wanting to go with me this winter :D.

Christchild
September 21, 2009, 10:10 AM
Same here.

I prefer to hunt alone. I'd hunt with my Dad sometimes, but he's in Michigan now. I'm gonna love huntin' with my son when he gets of age, but that's a long way off...

I prefer solo because it's just me, I "control" everything that one man can. Should I spot game, I know to stop if I'm stalking, as where a buddy may still be in motion and that may be the difference in a kill or just a day in the field (that's huntin', and it's not always only about the harvest) but the trade off to that is I'm the only pair of eyes and I may not see game before a huntin' buddy would...

Always consider Your quarry, and any other inherent dangers that may exist.

For every action, there's a positive and negative reaction...

Art Eatman
September 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
In my early and eager years, I was mostly a solo hunter. In my thirties, my father and two close hunting friends and "us kids" leased a ranch. Great times around the campfire. Solo sitting in tree stands at daylight, and then meet for a two-person walking hunt; sometimes solo.

Everybody was experienced, so safety wasn't a problem. We'd occasionally do a group walk in a valley, with the knowledge that the uphill/upwind guy would likely be the only one to get a shot. That commonly led to a little buck jumping up and folks went to yelling, "Shoot him! Shoot him!" If somebody sucked in and killed, the next "bit" would be, "Awwww....Why'd you shoot that poor little old thing?" :D:D:D

Now? I try to get folks to bring their own kids and I sorta educate them about how-to in my neck of the woods. I mostly hunt the campfire, nowadays.

rodwhaincamo
September 21, 2009, 10:23 AM
I usually go hunting with a good friend of mine. He always makes sure when he gets a lease that it's OK to bring a friend or 2. Great guy! But when it comes time to hunt we head our seperate ways. I enjoy the solitude and I'm much more comfortable knowing there are no other people in my vicinity (safety). I have been dove hunting with a group and I can say I hated that. They broke, for me a major rule, by drinking:mad::eek:. NOT A GOOD COMBO! I left their company to go on my own far far away! Drinking is for afterwards when you are sitting around the fire or cleaning your game. I love the company afterwards, but while I'm hunting I like to be alone.

hardluk1
September 21, 2009, 10:32 AM
I don't care if camp has others in it and have a couple good friends to hunt with and share expenses with. Don't hunt localy ,just can't get into that ,if home i should be doing something other than hunting... Go away to hunt we have maybe 2 to 4 people max for up to 3000 acres at a time so it is real hard to bump in to someone else. We locate our stands on a map and mark the area we are hunting on a map and enjoy the day in the woods.

4406v
September 21, 2009, 11:15 AM
I am too hardcore for most people.I take my hunting VERY SERIOUS and have not found anyone as dedicated as I am to being successful.I find that when I put my mind to it I am able to hunt hard and take whatever game I am after.So far a bear,a moose,an elk and countless whitetails have been the results of my efforts.
Most people I have tried to hunt with are careless when it comes to scent control and making noise in the woods.I am primarily an archery hunter and by the time I pick up a rifle my senses are sharpened to a razors edge.I apply my archery hunting skills to rifle hunting and it becomes "easy" to kill animals.I have found it easier to hunt alone than to allow someone else to ruin my hunts.We can be "friends" we just can't hunt together.

Wild Bill Bucks
September 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Back when I was 10 foot tall and bulletproof, I hunted mainly by myself. As I get older I have found it much better to have at least one other friend with me on the lease. This not only is a safety feature, but also a help factor as well.
We have 8 guys that hunt on our lease, and only 2 of us at a time can get off work to hunt at a time, so it works out pretty convenient.

davlandrum
September 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
I have one friend that I hunt with. I have known him 20+ years. I trust him with my life.

We sometimes have a bigger group at camp, but he is the only one I roll out of camp with.

Buzzcook
September 21, 2009, 01:00 PM
Started with relatives and neighbors. Did solo hunting till after marriage. Then with inlaws sometimes. Now the inlaws are a bit long in the tooth and I hunt solo again.
But now solo means sitting on a farm or in an orchard that's not more than a couple miles from a farm house. Not what you'd call real solo.

Maromero
September 21, 2009, 01:57 PM
This thread has basically been limited to big game hunting (no wing shooting) so I will share my first hunting experience with you guys.

I was living in Wisconsin and used to work as a bouncer at a given bar where I met a group of fellow students who where avid hunters, so they said. Hunting season came around and I was invited to go along in my first deer hunt. The hunt was set for a Saturday and I had to work Friday till 3:00 a.m. So the guys show up at the bar at @ nine and the drinking starts. A couple of hours into the night I figured the hunt was off right?

At 3:00 am the guys said off we go! Curiosity took the better of me over my better judgement and I picked my Winchester 94 Trapper in .30-30 and went along. We drove up north I don't know where for a good 2 hours and reached a desolate long stretch of road. We where 7 hunters and everyone spread @ 50 yards way from each other and started to "push" or march in the same direction.

At this time, needless to say, I stayed with the cars. They did manage to get two deers. The rest of the day was a lot of fun but I just can't imagine a more dangerous way of hunting.:o

All my other hunting trips were with no more than other 2 hunters and under much safer circumstances.

For wing shooting it's a different story. For opening day the hunting group usually exceeds 15 but everyone knows each other and everyone is a responsible hunter. For the second and latter weekends 4 - 5 hunters.

FrontSight
September 21, 2009, 02:11 PM
Before I hunt, I like to do a few shots of 151 rum, and then when I'm feeling the effects I like to fire a few shots into the ground by my feet, just to get pumped up and feel like I'm alive!

Then I politely tell the little lady that I need my 10 hours of sleep in order to be bright & bushy tailed for the hunt the next morning, if she doesn't mind please leaving me alone.

This NEVER goes over well. :D:D:D

I like hunting in groups, for sure; makes the experience sooo much more enjoyable. Especially waterfowl hunting, oh hell yeah!

zombieslayer
September 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
Alone or with family but I dont like more than 2-3 people goin

SAIGAFISH
September 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have a couple buddies that i hunt with and i have a bunch
of buddies i can fish with but most its just me and one buddy
that has almost the same goals in a day afield or a four day trip to the
olympic penninsula or to the deschutes or some thing like that me and
AL been all over the place mostly on fishing trips backpack fishing trips
and stuff and he,s got a sweat camo chevy 4x4.i would like it if my brother made more time for the outdoors but he,s a general contractor two kids and a wife that does not work so he pretty much has no free time.

SgtMeatballs
September 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
I've been going with another Marine from work who has been my "teacher" for my hunts. Having somebody like that helps me learn the basics, and without somebody like that I never would have started hunting.

Dozens of squirrels, doves and 1 boar later, I'm addicted.

Taking somebody hunting is fulfilling your good deed for the year, so all of you experts out there, take a newbie out. Teach them how to be a good, ethical and respectable hunter and watch them blossom. He/She will be out on there own in no time, and theres one less "idiot hunter" out there.

Colorado Redneck
September 21, 2009, 06:52 PM
I love to hunt alone. My son is a great hunt partner and when he goes we always have a great time.

Went hunting with a work buddy one time. We left for the other side of the state around 4 in the morning. Stopped in a little mountain town for breakfast around 6. Back in the truck he pulled out a pint and by 8 we had pretty much finished that. We got little two points by 10 in the morning. Then off to the bars. Got home around 3 am, with a snoot full of beer. Momma was p.oed and rightfully so. I will never ever do that again.

When you hunt alone, there is never a bit of doubt about who is doing the decision making.

roy reali
September 21, 2009, 07:15 PM
Went hunting with a work buddy one time. We left for the other side of the state around 4 in the morning. Stopped in a little mountain town for breakfast around 6. Back in the truck he pulled out a pint and by 8 we had pretty much finished that. We got little two points by 10 in the morning. Then off to the bars. Got home around 3 am, with a snoot full of beer. Momma was p.oed and rightfully so. I will never ever do that again.

Where is the grinning face at the end of this statement? Please tell me this is a joke and you forgot to put one of these in your post.:D If you are serious then let me add one.:mad:

Art Eatman
September 22, 2009, 12:19 AM
Roy, "Momma was p.oed and rightfully so. I will never ever do that again." just right there oughta be an end to any concern about his misdeed...

koolminx
September 22, 2009, 12:38 AM
I'm a solo guy, but will take my new best friend in a couple years, my daughter, she is a lover of shooting and want's to hunt with me too :)

Scorch
September 22, 2009, 12:42 AM
I used to hunt alone pretty much exclusively. After a few disappointing experiences trying to find a decent hunting buddy, I just gave up and hunted alone for about 25 years. I hunted hard, ate cold meals or heated them on the truck engine, slept on the ground under a folded tarp or in a tarp tent, and generally came home with the goods.

Recently I have started getting together with my brother and old USMC friends every year for hunting. We don't hunt near as hard nor as long as I used to hunt, but we have a great time together anyway.

Dr. Strangelove
September 22, 2009, 12:57 AM
Two different things really.

I treasure my solo hunts for the solitude and time with nature. It's a great way to relieve stress and think about things; I've made a lot of big decisions out there in the woods.

I also hunt several times a year with my old high school buddies. (20+ years ago) They have a lease that I live too far away from to make it worth joining, but they are gracious enough to invite me several times a year. They have an established camp with, putting it generously, basic accommodations. We always have a blast and generally get some hunting done as well.

Just curious, in the south we don't normally hunt "with" someone in the sense that you are actually standing beside that person, we just hunt the same piece of property. From talking to some of my northern friends, it's not uncommon to actually walk through the woods together. How often does that happen?

jgcoastie
September 22, 2009, 01:10 AM
It entirely depends on what I'm hunting...

Bear: Definitely take my buddy Jon with me. He'll have his 12ga loaded with copper slugs for backup.

Mountain Goat: Just about need another person to help out in tricky spots and to help pack out.

Deer: Mostly solo, but if I'm headed to one of the smaller islands to the NE of Kodiak, I'll have one or two buddies with me. If I'm headed to Saltry Cove, Jon will be at my side for that as well.

Rabbit: Easier with 2 other guys. One walks in the middle of the trail while the others walk 50yds or so to either side, they flush to the center guy.

Fox: To set up a good "crossfire" to make sure somebody will always have a shot, me and Jon will typically set up staggered about 50-60yds apart. One calls and one shoots, then we switch.

Can't wait until my kids are old enough to take hunting...

srt 10 jimbo
September 22, 2009, 02:19 AM
I go with my 17 year old son.:)

roy reali
September 22, 2009, 07:04 AM
I apologize, I suppose I overreacted a bit. But, things like that make me glad I now live in area with less then 5 people per square mile. And down the road a few miles the density drops to somewhere around zero.:D

4406v
September 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
This was the problem I have had trying to hunt with other people.You go to camp and the alcohol starts flowing and they want to drink in excess the whole time.I was in a camp bear hunting with a group of guys and the next thing I know at lunchtime in the woods guys were taking beers out of thier coats and drinking!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!! I kept away from the group the rest of the day hunting by myself on the other side of the mountain.I ended up killing a bear the next day.I never returned back to that camp.I don't mind a little social drink in the evening but during the day,all day drinking is NOT why I go to camp.If you're not serious enough about the hunt what's the point of going at all???

ZeroJunk
September 22, 2009, 09:28 AM
I usually hunt alone or if I am hunting with somebody we will take two vehicles. Not a safety concern , but when I get ready to go I want to go. In either direction.

Art Eatman
September 22, 2009, 10:27 AM
We had a couple of guys who mostly wanted to get away from Momma and drink more than they did at home. So, one simple rule: You start drinking, you're through hunting for that day. Easy enough; it worked for the ten years that we had the lease.

NWCP
September 25, 2009, 03:55 AM
I prefer to hunt with a buddy. I used to hunt solo when I was younger, but now that I'm a gray beard I hunt with one of a couple good friends, or my son-in-law. It's a safety thing in my way of thinking. Someone gets injured you have a buddy to get help, or save your skin.

CajunBass
September 25, 2009, 06:43 AM
I used to hunt with a southern style hunt club when I was younger. Deer hunting with dogs, and I really enjoyed the experience. Anywhere from five or six guys to fifty or so, depending on the day of the week, and time of the season. Did that for years, then got into bass fishing and stopped hunting at all for years and fished all winter.

Now that I've gotten back to hunting a little I mostly go by myself. My wife went with me a few times, but she got sick and can't anymore so I'm back going alone now. I like the freedom though. I can go when I want, where I want, and come home when I want.

Most of my hunting now is not too far from the house. I carry a radio in case she needs me, or something were to happen to me, I can call her to get some help to me. When I do go somewhere else, I carry a cell phone, and leave a note with her telling where I'll be.

shortwave
September 25, 2009, 05:29 PM
I do enjoy my solo hunts and those are the most serious ones for me. My boys are all grown and I cherish every minute we can hunt together. Finding the time to get together(work schedules) is the problem:rolleyes:. Have had the opportunity to take my nephews and a few co-workers boys on their first turkey,deer and pheasant hunts. Watching them learn and shoot their first prey is priceless;). On that note, think I`ll grab the shotgun and walk out back for awhile. Think I hear a few squirrels calling my name.

oneoldsap
September 25, 2009, 08:43 PM
Be very particular about who you hunt with , your life could depend on it !!! Plan your hunt , hunt your plan !!

Swampghost
September 25, 2009, 09:29 PM
As a kid; hunted with Dad, my uncle and sometimes my grandfather.
As a teen; went out with a few friends.
In my 20's, had a common camp with my buddies and mostly was solo.
In my 30's and 40's, was pretty much completely solo.
I'm getting towards the end of my 50's, had a minor heart attack, finding your remains is essential to insurance companies so I'm back to my 20's.

Colorado Redneck
September 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
Well, it was funny as heck at the time. But the experience aint no fun if you get cutoff for a couple of weeks. Besides, I have way more fun hunting alone rather than with a jug carrying gun totin hillbilly. I'm a hillbilly, but the jug hadda go. The way I figure it, you are allotted so much booze to drink in your life, and I drank mine all up by the time I turned 30.:barf: I was lucky nobody died and I only went to jail once.

When my son and I went antelope hunting last fall, he made a great shot and nailed his first goat. On the way back to camp going through Douglas Wyoming I suggested we get some beer and he turned it down....said he didn't want a hangover the next day so we could have more fun while we tried to get me one. Now that there is my kind of huntin partner.;)

Bigfatts
September 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
I hunt mostly with my wife. I lover her dearly but bless her, she's not very silent. Or observant. I prefer to hunt with my brother, he moves through the woods like a ghost.

shortwave
September 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
Every year, I`m invited to what my buddies call a hunting lease. I tell them its a party lease:D. Some forget their weapon of choice:rolleyes:. Years ago I hunted this same area and believe me there are some quality bucks there. There`s only one guy(of about 10) out of that camp that goes there with hunting on his mind. He`s the successful hunter that will shoot a deer (very often a trophy) every time he goes there. His biggest complaint is trying to keep his clothing/body cigar smoke free. I get a kick out of him cause every year, after the hunt, he`ll call a I get the priviledge of hearing his b#@$%&***ing about so and so keeping him up or having to go sleep in his truck cause the poker game lasted for three days:). He must enjoy the misery as he goes back every year. Another guy will go home and tell his wife some of the best hunting stories you could imagine and he usually doesn`t leave the cabin. I tell him he`ll go to hell for lieing same as stealing:p:D. Bottom line these are all good guys but when I go hunting/fishing, thats what I want to do. If I want to party, thats what I do. Its hard enough to bag a trophy buck without the aroma of Jack Daniels oozing out of your pores.

hogdogs
September 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't mind hunting with a buddy or my son but I am far more in tune with my "predator" side when alone. All my senses are heightened and focused on the hunt.
Brent

vetteracer92
September 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
I like to watch others hunt, it's kinda relaxing. Next year my cousin's daughter will be old enough to hunt, so that will be cool. She's likes to shoot and is a pretty good shot(already has punctured a few critters too).

James R. Burke
October 4, 2009, 11:34 AM
I like to hunt alone, but when grouse hunting I like to have someone with. When deer hunting with my wife we each have our own blinds, about 400 yards apart. Hunting with someone is nice for the safety part if there is a accident of some type, but hunting solo is nice for the solitude. I need someone close by me these day due to some heart problems. When hunting deer with my wife if we are not posting we will take some slow walks together.

jal5
October 5, 2009, 10:44 AM
I have enjoyed hunting alone, with one or two buddies, and even the hunting camp in the past. Now its mostly with one or two buddies since we split up the chores on my friend's property and plan the stands and hunts together, it is a lot of fun. I am looking forward to my grandson goin with me but we still have a few years since he is only 3!

Fat White Boy
October 5, 2009, 10:18 PM
I hunt with one friend and our 2 boys. I used to always ask other people but 99% of the time they say OK then crapout. My friend and the boys are the only dependable people I know...We also all fish together....

abuyalos
October 6, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have been hunting with the hunt club since I was 10 years old. It's a tight-knit group of family members that has grown to include about 10 or 12 others. It's a great environment.