PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel hunting with 12 gauge

dabigguns357
September 16, 2009, 01:37 AM
My brother in law and i have been invited to go squirrel hunting,any he has no gun.I have a .22 with scope that i'll be using,i also have a 12 gauge with a 18 1/2 cylinder bore.

My question is this would it be acceptable for him to use it and what type of ammo should be used.I bought some federal hi-brass #4 shot and #6 shot both.

hogdogs
September 16, 2009, 01:48 AM
For way long range, I use #6 for tree rats... Any other time I use CHEAP low brass target loads with low payloads as it don't vaporize the buggers so easy...
Brent

dabigguns357
September 16, 2009, 06:55 AM
So it won't matter about the size of the barrel.

hogdogs
September 16, 2009, 07:03 AM
the Cylinder bore is great for opening the pattern sooner to also avoid meat damage... One pellet to the noggin is plenty on a tree rat. I like the 18 inch myself... actually prefer it for tree rats as it mounts real fast but swing and lead is slower and less crucial compared to doves and such.

I can hold my own against most any one on hit ratio for tree rats which is far more than I can say about clay sports or wing shooting the "grey rocket".:o
Brent
P.S. I meant to say in my first reply... Those cheap rounds I prefer for routine use are 7 1/2...

SavageSniper
September 16, 2009, 08:28 AM
I use 71/2's too. That is great squirrel medicene. If you are hunting with a buddy, one with a .22 and one with a shotgun will put alot of meat on the table.

Gbro
September 16, 2009, 08:57 AM
Use of a shotgun will allow for many more opportunity's. A shot with a .22 will have to be taken only when safe backstop is available. That is rare when squirrel hunting. remember, 1 1/2 mile range on a .22 rimfire.
Then with the 12 Ga. one must let a squirrel get some distance away or there will be nothing let to eat.

JWT
September 16, 2009, 09:15 AM
You can hunt squirrels with a shotgun. Only problem is that then you have to contend with shot in the meat when you eat the critters. Always preferred a .22 for tree rats. A bit more sporty and much easier on the meat. Whenever I did use a shotgun on them I used #6 shot.

Deerhunter264
September 19, 2009, 12:50 PM
if using 12 gauge one rats and want the meat clean i suggest walking around the tree until all you can see is the rats head and his body is hidden behind a branch and then shoot for a good headshot...There will be nothing in the meat and it will be a clean kill. This also takes patients and good stalking ability if the rats are smart. This has always worked for me when using a shotgun on them.

GeauxTide
September 19, 2009, 11:23 PM
Cylinder is ok unless you're in creek bottoms shooting up into big Pinoak or Beech trees before the leaves fall. I've always used a modified choke with HV 4 or 6 shot. If going after fox squirrels, 4s and full choke.