PDA

View Full Version : William Atkinson Double - Info needed

Rail
September 12, 2009, 08:23 PM
Well, I have come into a SxS 12 by a William Atkinson that seems to be too nice to simply let slide. Problem is I know nothing about it or the man/firm. From what little I can dig up on the web, he might have worked for Churchill at one time and then gone off on his own???

The workmanship is much like a Churchill in many respects, and the bottom line is that it has a broken extractor that needs repair and I need to know if I should look into it - ? Anyone have any knowledge of this maker? :confused:

Thanks!

Harley Nolden
September 13, 2009, 07:23 AM
ATKINSON WILLIAM SHOTGUN
hE WAS A GUNMAKER IN LANCASTER ENGLAND 1881-1901
THERE WERE SEVERAL GUN AND TACKLE MAKERS LISTED WITH THE ATKINSON NAME SOME AS EARLY AS 1840
MR HARLEY

Rail
September 14, 2009, 09:58 AM
Thank you, sir. Any idea where I can look up information on who would be a reputable gunsmith? The age of the shotgun and its lines and engraving make it desirable, and the barrels are proofed so I can use later loads, but I clearly can't just take it anywhere to get the extractor repaired...I'm not really a shotgun guy though I love them.

Thanks again,

Jim

oneounceload
September 14, 2009, 11:19 AM
Rail - you might try asking the folks at doubelgunshop.com. Lots of knowledge about double guns, repairs, etc.....

Rail
September 18, 2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Oneounce - dropped Dave W. a line there - thanks much. Hopefully he can advise me on whether I should fork out real money to work on this gun. I may end up doing it anyway just because it is a beautiful, but I could wait a while.

Thanks for the suggestion.

oneounceload
September 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
You're welcome - hope you can get that to the condition you want - post some pics......

Rail
September 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
What I sent to Dave, the bare minimum...

oneounceload
September 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
The wood doesn't look very proud, wonder how well a refinish could be done......the engraving looks nice; appears to have bushed firing pins - nice touch; that one screw looks like someone has been inside but didn't use the proper sized screwdriver.....how are the barrels?? pitted or???

Rail
September 18, 2009, 09:16 PM
Inside they are glassy, outside good with very slight pitting in spots. the wood shows its age, but the checkering is still distinct. Could probably be restored fairly well though I may leave it the way it is. The stock has a right hand cast and it actually seems to fit, but having never fired it, it could all be in my mind :rolleyes:

All in all, it shows its age but does so very well. Its not pristine by a long shot but has a lot of charm to it.

oneounceload
September 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
You'll need a good smith who knows doubles to check the chamber size - might be 2", 2-1/2" or something else. RST and Polywad sell "Vintager" loads that are designed for older guns with short chambers and low pressure. I seriously doubt, that even if your smith blesses the gun for shooting, that it will take a diet of modern higher-pressure loads. Sounds like it's gonna be fun....IF it is shootable, you could always have your stock refinisher change some dimensions so it fits like a glove. Those English guns really work best when they are fitted right......keep us updated......I've always regretted selling an old Belgian guild gun made in the late 20's, early 30's....but I traded it for a NIB SKB O/U.......but there is just something neat about those old SxS that are so lithe and agile in the hands

Rail
September 19, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'll update with details as they arise.

Cheers,

Jim