PDA

View Full Version : Can I shoot slugs through removable choke tubes?

Kayscin
September 3, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have a Winchester model 1300 XTR 12 ga. and a Winchester Ranger 120 20 Ga. both with removable choke tubes. Is it safe and ok for the gun to shoot slugs through these guns?

Doyle
September 3, 2009, 07:37 PM
Yes but no tighter than Modified. Also, don't try it without any choke at all. It will damage the threads.

Lee Lapin
September 3, 2009, 08:39 PM
I have in the past, and still do. No problems with properly installed tubes... not too tight tubes tho, about MOD is as tight as I'd go.

lpl

hogdogs
September 4, 2009, 07:29 AM
I think you are safe with a factory "full" but accuracy may suffer. Safest thing to do is contact the gun/choke company and ask the "tech" dept.
Brent

ebutler462
September 4, 2009, 09:09 AM
The idiot proof choke to use for slugs is IC.

rantingredneck
September 4, 2009, 09:17 AM
It's telling that most factory smoothbore slug guns are either Cyl or IC. Either fixed choke or in the removable choke that is shipped with the gun. I expect some testing was done there for accuracy.

I use IC in my 870's and 11-87. I have a Mossberg Cyl slug barrel that I rarely use. I have shot them through Modified and Full chokes with no damage, but that's about as much as I can say for the experience. Best accuracy I've had was with IC.

Legionnaire
September 4, 2009, 01:19 PM
Yes, you can. I'd shoot both IC and Modified to test for accuracy differences with your chosen load.

seanie
September 5, 2009, 03:10 AM
I have before through my Skeet choke and all ended well.

Kayscin
September 5, 2009, 07:48 AM
Thank You! To everyone for your replies. The information is just what I was looking for. Stay Safe!!

zippy13
September 5, 2009, 09:39 AM
Greetings, Kayscin, and welcome aboard.
It's nice to see a new member who's prime concern is safety.