PDA

View Full Version : Limbsaver for 870 Express?

Homerboy
September 1, 2009, 07:40 PM
Is there a precision fit recoil pad for the 870 Express? I don't want a slip on or grind to fit model. I would be surprised if such a popular shotgun did not have a limbsaver for it.

I see Remington has their own recoil pad, the "Super Cell". Supposedly better then the Limbsaver. Anyone ever try the Super Cell?

dalecooper51
September 1, 2009, 07:50 PM
Yes they do. They have two models one for wood stock and one for the synthetic.

InSoMNiaX23
September 2, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have one for mine and it works very well! IIRC, I paid $80 installed.

Homerboy
September 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
I have one for mine and it works very well! IIRC, I paid $80 installed.

$80? They're $40. And why did you pay to have it installed? Just screw off the old one and put on the new.

rantingredneck
September 2, 2009, 04:13 PM
I have used the Limbsaver, the Supercell and the R3 (which is basically a Limbsaver). All do very well and I can't really tell the difference between them. You should be able to buy either for 35-40.00 and install it yourself for the cost of a screwdriver and a thimblefull of dish detergent.

InSoMNiaX23
September 2, 2009, 07:19 PM
It is a wood stock and therefore requires a grind to fit one or so I was told.

MagicMan
September 2, 2009, 08:22 PM
Try part# 10101. I actually have 1 for sale $20 shipped. It's not grind to fit. Screw it on & be done

Sarge
September 2, 2009, 08:45 PM
All 870 Express Synthetics are not created equal. I just ordered a R3 for the '870 Synthetic' only to discover that it won't fit my early 90's 'Special Purpose' (http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/02/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html) Express, which has a smaller buttstock using separate bosses to accept the mounting screws.

Often when I take a new officer out for Quals, this old shotgun is used because it's always in the car. Usually after 6 rounds each of aimed fire using Super-X slugs & OO buck, they are looking at me like I stomped their Ipod or something.

I'll have to look into the Limbsaver.

PS-Hell for 80 bucks, I'd just hang a CompStock on it. :eek:

coldshot
September 3, 2009, 12:05 AM
I just bought one for my 20ga express it is way over sized I will need to grind it down to fit properly. I have done the same to the limbsaver before for my model 37. a little fitting should be expected.

hogdogs
September 3, 2009, 12:38 AM
cold, was it sold to you as a direct, no fit required, replacement unit?
Brent

Huntinfool
September 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
A friend of mine said to freeze the recoil pad and it would grind down perfect and be much easier to get it to fit correctly!

Anybody ever hear of that?

~HF~

coldshot
September 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yep it was supposed to be a direct replacement, but no big deal, I ive done it before with good results. I have tried the freezing thing, they even recommend it but it just takes to long to freeze. I use a 60 grit belt for roughing out, Then I step up to a 120 grit to smooth it out.

KCabbage
September 11, 2009, 08:41 AM
One of those limbsavers/R3 pads came standard on my TAC-2 Speedfeed 4 stock, very cushy :)
I ended up selling the stock for a Speedfeed 3 though.

I know MidwayUSA was/is selling them for around $35.