PDA

View Full Version : beretta vs benelli

MKTexas
August 26, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'm trying to decide between te beretta 391 and benelli m2. Any thoughts?

MKTexas
August 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
PS: I'm mainly shooting clays, occasional bird hunting.

zoomie
August 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
Beretta will kick a little less. Reliability will be equal. Fit should be your deciding factor.

LanceOregon
August 27, 2009, 06:32 AM
The Beretta is the much better value. Benellis are overpriced.

If you want to get a Beretta 391 Urika 2 that is also a very handsome gun, get the Gold model. Has nicer wood, gorgeous Jeweled bolt and follower, and gold inlays.

Here is one for sale on gunbroker.com

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=138011328

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138011000/138011328/pix878965140.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138011000/138011328/pix878965234.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138011000/138011328/pix878965062.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138011000/138011328/pix878964984.jpg

cbm1948
August 27, 2009, 06:48 AM
Beretta +1
I have 5, I have 3 sons, and we shoot them all. Never had a disabling
stoppage with one.

Clint

Waterengineer
August 27, 2009, 09:03 AM
Beretta

BigJimP
August 27, 2009, 11:41 AM
There is nothing wrong with either gun / but they're different.

Beretta is a gas gun / shoots dirtier than an inertia gun / but they've performed well over the years.

Benelli is an inertia gun / shoots a lot cleaner / if the one you are looking at has the ComfortTech system in it, it will probably give you about the same recoil as a gas gun.

The 391 seems to cycle everything / and while its hard to prove, I think the Benelli system cycles a little faster - whether you will notice it or not, hard to tell / but to me there is a difference. Beretta is cheaper / but I think you get a lot of gun for the money from Benelli .... My vote is for the Benelli.

zippy13
August 27, 2009, 01:14 PM
beretta vs benelli
I'm trying to decide between te beretta 391 and benelli m2. Any thoughts?
PS: I'm mainly shooting clays, occasional bird hunting.
My friend, BigJim, prefers the Benelli, and the one he showed me is a very nice gun, indeed. Initial, I thought I'd be turned-off by its "Buck Rogers" looks, but it's a gun I could live with. Judging from the other replys, Jim is in the minority. It may be just a matter of folks liking the less expensive Berettas.

With the adjustability built into the modern Beretta and Benelli guns, fit isn't as important as it once was. Since you'll mainly be shooting clays, perhaps you should narrow your search to sporting guns as opposed to field guns like the M2. There are several models of Bereatta sporting AL391s ranging from $1,400 to $2,200. Benelli offers the Sport II for $1,700 and the SuperSport for just under $2K. IMHO: You need to narrow your search and then start shooting some guns. All the verbiage in the world can't totally describe how you'll react to the differences and similarities between the various guns on your short list.

Asking for recommendations between similar Barettas and Benellis is like asking if you should get a Ford or Chevy -- everyone has a slightly different opinion. What's important is what seems best to you.

Don't forget, after various acquisitions, Benelli is now a Beretta company. And, the Beretta line offers a much wider range of guns than Benelli.

Good luck and good shooting -- Please, let us know what you decide, and why.

jmr40
August 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
I have the older Benelli M-1 and used to have the Beretta 390. Both are great guns. I am primarily a hunter who shoots a few rounds of clays to stay in practice so for me the Benelli is the better choice. I like the lighter weight and the way if feels to me. If I primarily shot clays I would have probably kept the Beretta.

oneounceload
August 27, 2009, 02:33 PM
fit isn't as important as it once was

While I believe I know what my friend Zippy is trying to say.......fit IS important - it's just that both the new Berettas and Benellis have the ability to be slightly modified by the shooter to get a more exact fit without resorting to a trip to the stockmaker...... ;)

BigJimP
August 27, 2009, 03:12 PM
Zippy and OneOunce have both said it / with the shims between the receiver and the stock / and in the case of the Benelli - with different optional comb pads, and recoil pads ( that snap off and on quickly ) its pretty easy to adjust either gun so it fits properly.

The different recoil pads / and the comb pads - are options on Benelli - they cost about $ 80 each / and they don't come standard with any of the models. The Benelli and Beretta both come with shims to adjust the point between the receiver and the stock for cast, etc.

This is the Benelli Super Sport - that I prefer in a semi auto / and I have one in 12ga and one in 20ga now ....

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38389&d=1226958132

I realize my opinion is in the minority / and that's ok - there isn't anyting wrong with the Beretta 391 ( it just isn't for me )...

FJ4JAKE
August 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
I have two Benelli M2s (field, tactical models) My father has a M2 field. All have been awesome guns.
We shoot a lot... every thing from light clay loads to mag field loads. I dont remember any of the guns jamming... they eat all shells all day long...
Im sure both are great guns... comes down to fit, and budget...
My 65 year old mother likes to shoot clays with my M2, so Im sure the kick cant be that bad....

RNB65
August 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
+1 Beretta 391

RJM
August 27, 2009, 06:21 PM
I am going to be kind of blunt.

After owning a Benelli Super Black Eagle and now owning a couple of "gas operating" recoil guns (Winchester sx3, Franchi 620 and a Browning silver lightning) and strongly urge you to get a gas operated gun. I think the "inertia" recoil system of the benelli sucks and so does my shoulder. My vote would be for the Beretta.

BigJimP
August 27, 2009, 06:58 PM
So ... since my 13 year old granddaughter ( all 100 lbs of her soaking wet ) - can shoot 150 shells thru a Benelli Super Sport 12ga with the comfort tech system in it - in an afternoon ......

...... and have a big smile on her face .... is because it sucks ....

she's also shot a Rem 1100 12ga / and a Rem 11-87 in 20ga - and she wants to shoot the Benelli Super Sport ( must be because it sucks again ..):D

She shoots my reloads in the Benelli Super Sport / 1 oz loads at 1225 fps / same load I shoot in it ( now I am 6'5" and 290 lbs ) ....... but she's just a girl .... that's probably why it works for her .......

oneounceload
August 27, 2009, 07:18 PM
Jim - do you have a shorter stock on that, or is she shooting the same LOP as you?

RJM
August 27, 2009, 07:43 PM
BigJimP, I am stating my opinion about Benelli. Its my opinion because I have owned and shot Benellis in the past and can compare them to my gas guns that I currently own. My opinion is the inertia system is a marketing ploy to charge more for less and frankly sucks. That's the simplest way to put how I feel about Benelli's "inertia" system. My winchester sx3 recoils less than my benelli with every load I have fired through it and it hasn't taken a hundred round or so to "break in." I had a lot of problems with my benelli and hated how it shot, trigger wasn't good either. The Winchester is such a better gun.

I am looking forward to shooting my friends Vinci though. I think this is a good step forward for Benelli. A bit ugly for my tastes, but I think the "inline" modular thing is a step in the right direction. The gun certainly shoulders well. If I was to buy a Benelli nowadays, I would be looking at the vinci.

jmr40
August 27, 2009, 08:16 PM
You are comparing the Super Black Eagle to the M-2. I'm not as big a fan of the SBE. It is lighter and probably less relaible since it is designed to shoot a wider range of loads. As far as recoil is concerned then yes the inertia guns will have a little more than a gas gun. People shoot pumps and doubles all the time without the benefit of a gas system with no complaints. The inertia system certainly recoils no more.

Horseman
August 27, 2009, 08:23 PM
I like the way Benelli's fit but just passed on one this week. I think Benelli's marketing is outstanding and the guns are great but they are definately overpriced IMO. Plastic stocked camo M2 20 gauge was gonna cost nearly $1300. I don't mind spending the money but for $1300 I want a shotgun that looks expensive. 391 is a better gun for less money IMO.

LanceOregon
August 27, 2009, 11:22 PM
Beretta is a gas gun / shoots dirtier than an inertia gun / but they've performed well over the years.

Benelli is an inertia gun / shoots a lot cleaner / if the one you are looking at has the ComfortTech system in it, it will probably give you about the same recoil as a gas gun.

That is definitely a false statement by you. I've shot a number of models of both gun brands, and I can definitely say that both Beretta 391 and Browning Gold gas operated shotguns shoot softer and have less recoil, all other factors being equal. A Benelli will definitely have more recoil.

The downside to gas operated guns, though, is the fact that they do take more work to clean. So that is a valid criticism of them. The extra cleaning effort causes you to get much more exposure to lead, both through skin absorption or particles in the air.

And significant lead exposure can lead to cancer and/or brain damage over a long period of time. One should always use gloves when cleaning your gun to eliminate skin exposure, and always clean your gun in a well ventilated area.

Slip 2000 makes a fantastic product called Gas Piston Parts and Choke Tube Cleaner. I highly recommend it to shotgun shooters, especially those who shoot gas operated guns. Makes cleaning the gas piston so very easy.

Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner is also another must have for any shotgun owner. It removes carbon buildup so very easily. Makes cleaning the rest of your shotgun far easier and much faster.

Don't waste a lot of your time scrubbing away with traditional gun cleaning solvents. Use the above products, and maintaining your shotgun will become a lot easier and quicker to do.

The 391 seems to cycle everything / and while its hard to prove, I think the Benelli system cycles a little faster - whether you will notice it or not, hard to tell / but to me there is a difference. Beretta is cheaper / but I think you get a lot of gun for the money from Benelli .... My vote is for the Benelli.

This opinion of yours is nothing that is based at all in actual reality.

See:

Tim Bradley ( Beretta ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8p-xIs76RA

Patrick Flanigan ( Browning & Winchester ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0ufo8W8DU

Scott Robertson ( Beretta ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXWoW3fw0IY

Average Joe Beretta owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkWvsg_98hQ

--

LanceOregon
August 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
I like the way Benelli's fit but just passed on one this week. I think Benelli's marketing is outstanding

I think that you mean Beretta's marketing.

Benelli failed in the marketplace as a company on its own. Benelli, and all of its subsidiaries, were bought out and taken over by Beretta several years ago.

Benelli is now simply a division of Beretta.

--

LanceOregon
August 27, 2009, 11:43 PM
I am looking forward to shooting my friends Vinci though. I think this is a good step forward for Benelli. A bit ugly for my tastes, but I think the "inline" modular thing is a step in the right direction. The gun certainly shoulders well. If I was to buy a Benelli nowadays, I would be looking at the vinci.

The Vinci is a revolutionary shotgun. It looks so totally bizarre and ugly, however. I just don't think that I could warm up to it.

Looks like it should be real easy to clean, however, with the way that it so easily breaks apart.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138378000/138378142/pix65477171.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/137990000/137990429/pix863069109.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/138286000/138286578/pix1130778875.jpg

mathman
August 28, 2009, 12:26 AM
I'm with BigJimP and in the minority I suppose...I'll take the Benelli.

The Winchester is such a better gun. :barf:

Now, that is just hilarious...everyone is entitled to their opinion, but come on...are we talking about the same Winchester that went out of business a few years ago? :D

I agree that the SBE sucks...at least I don't like it...and I think it may go by the wayside. A 3 1/2" gun doesn't have a real practical purpose for most people anyway.

There is a reason that the Benelli is expensive...because people buy it...and there must be a reason that people buy it...because they work and are easy to maintain...kind of like the Glock of shotguns. (Don't flame me for that...just sayin') :D

Buy what you want...I'll take the Benelli...oh wait, I already have two.

bsbllrooster10
August 28, 2009, 12:42 AM
I say get a benelli with the comfortech stock. My twelve gauge super black eagle II kicks like a little 20ga. Its been completely flawless and will always get my vote. Not to mention Gun Tests graded it an A+ which is saying alot and it got their shotgun of the year award as well.

226nsw
August 28, 2009, 01:17 AM
hunting benelli clays beretta wear gloves and don't lick your shotgun when cleaning it and I think you will be ok my 391 will go a LOT! of shells before it needs cleaning just keep it lubed cheap 7/8 oz loads all day long without a hiccup but both are a good shotguns

BigJimP
August 28, 2009, 11:02 AM
OneOunce - I have all 3 of the optional recoil pads / and all 3 of the comb inserts ...

my 13 year old granddaughter is only about 5'7" - and shoots the recoil pad that gives her a 13 1/2" lop / where I shoot the pad that gives me 14 3/8" ( which is about 1/4" shorter than I'd like, but I manage with it ) - her Point of Impact is best using the mid height comb pad / where I shoot the higher one. But that is another thing I like about the Super Sport - you just snap the pads off and on in a couple of seconds.

---------------------------------
I guess I'm a little surprised at the strong opinions of some of the gas guns vs the Benelli's - but to each his own. The gas guns are cheaper...

All of my primary O/U's are Browning, I don't have anything against Browning/Winchester corp ... I think they make a number of good guns / as do Remington - and I have a Rem 1100 and an 11-87 ( I keep them for the grandkids to shoot )...but since I got the Benelli's in 12 and 20ga, I don't shoot them anymore.

About 6 months ago, I saw a used, hardly fired, Benelli Super Sport 12ga in a local shop for $ 1,525 and I snatched it up / and sold it to a friend that was very happy to have it / some of my other buddies, who have 1100's, etc - have since bought Super Sports because they have shoulder problems ... and I'm recovering from shoulder reconstruction as we speak, and while I will probably start shooting a .410 O/U , and a 28ga O/U - I expect to be shooting the Benelli Super Sport in about 6 or 8 weeks ..... using it as a transition gun, as I get back into my heavier 12 and 20ga O/U's for Skeet.

Jeff H
August 28, 2009, 11:42 AM
If you like composite black furniture, you can buy the Beretta from Wally World for under $600. Heck of a deal there for a nice Beretta.

oneounceload
August 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
BigJim - I have an 1100, have only shot a Benelli LH Montefeltro and a Beretta 391 a few times. so I have no opinion one way or the other. IMO, both are good guns - well made and reliable. The only downside that my friends who own Benellis have mentioned is having a hard time with light target loads - talking about 2-3/4 DE around 1145 fps, which happens tpo be my favorite in 12 gauge......

And I can appreciate the detractors for their views - let's face it, even K guns and P guns have detractors as do Purdeys and Fabbris.........

IF there was one magical gun that was all things to everyone............ :D

BigJimP
August 28, 2009, 01:12 PM
I understand OneOunce ..... I think its funny, when someone says the Benelli's beat them up - when I have a very lightly built 13 yr old girl, with very little upper body strengh, shooting a Benelli Super Sport 12ga and she loves it ... with 1 oz loads, at 1225 fps .... / but all of my guns have the comfort tech system in them too ...so I don't know what else to say ...

I was still shooting the Benelli - with a torn bicep tendon, my rotator cuff virtually torn thru and bone spurs in my shooting shoulder - prior to my shoulder surgery last month - when I couldn't even lift a 8 1/2 lb O/U for 4 or 5 rounds of Skeet for an afternoon without getting tears in my eyes .../ now admittedly I was eating a dozen or so advil a day too - and the shoulder hurt / but my shoulder hurt just hanging there too .... and the Benelli let me shoot and wait out the surgery date. I have no doubt, I could have shot the 1100 as well / but I couldn't even handle a 28ga O/U either ....but my word, I hate cleaning those gas guns ...

All 3 of my Benelli's cycle loads - as long as they are 1200 fps. They will not cycle the load you prefer at 1150 fps / so that is a downside... where my buddy's 1100 cylces his 1150 fps loads just fine.

Horseman
August 28, 2009, 03:12 PM
Quote:
I like the way Benelli's fit but just passed on one this week. I think Benelli's marketing is outstanding

I think that you mean Beretta's marketing.

Benelli failed in the marketplace as a company on its own. Benelli, and all of its subsidiaries, were bought out and taken over by Beretta several years ago.

Benelli is now simply a division of Beretta.

What I meant was....Benelli has made a lot of people buy their guns with marketing. Fastest cycling? I have yet to wait for ANY semi auto shotgun to cycle before I can shoot again. Comfortech stock reduces recoil by 50%? Softest recoiling semi auto? B.S.! Easiest to clean? Maybe. There's not many parts to wipe down on a 11-87 though. And not many more moving parts than a benelli either. (Beretta's are a PITA cause of the 7 piece forend cap). Criobarrel? Not convinced on that either.

Like I said before, they're great guns but not worth the $1200-$1800 most of them run. They're still primarily blow molded plastic stocked, camoed shotguns that should cost $900-$1300 IMO.

Their marketing has them selling plastic camo for hand fitted over-under prices and I think that's B.S.

chaser_2332
August 28, 2009, 03:31 PM
both IMO are top notch guns.......to me guns are tools and good tools are worth the money you pay for them. The 2 guns are built on differn't platforms as many has pointed out so chooseing gas or inertia should be a desiding factor only second to fit. the guns handle very differn't. i have 2 benelli's that was mainly choose becuase of the smaller frame from shooting in a ground blind my SBE II was slightly smaller than the extrema, but from an upright shooting position to me it's a coin toss

BigJimP
August 28, 2009, 04:16 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree Horseman .....

a. but the Super Sport is a carbon fibre stock ( not exactly cheap blow molded plastic ..)

b. I think there might be something to the crio barrels - but its hard to really tell. I do know all 3 of my Super Sport models - shoot very uniform patterns with my reloads.

c. 50% less recoil / I don't think Benelli makes that claim in the marketing stuff ... but like all marketing depts they're going to put their spin on their perspective.... / Remember the Benelli is very light ( the 12ga with 30" barrels is only 7.2 lbs ) and a lighter gun means more recoil - so in my view, they've done something right. With it being a lighter gun / it certainly makes it easier to carry in the field all day too / which is not a bad thing.

Cost is relative - but I consider a $ 1,800 shotgun relatively inexpensive / and price aside, if I thought the Beretta or any gas gun was a better gun, I'd buy 2 or 3 of them ...even if they were more expensive than the Benelli.

I bought the Benelli Super Sports because I think they're a better gun - so I spend what I need to spend to buy what I consider the better gun ( I think I paid $ 1,450 for my first one about 4 years ago, $ 1,525 for a used 12ga and about $ 1,750 for the 20ga a year or so ago. I see new ones on the shelf for around $ 1,850 which I still think is a good price. Like I said, I have a couple of older Remingtons - an 1100 and an 11-87 / and they aren't bad guns / but I'm not going to buy any more of them.

But we should all share our opinions - and ultimately buy whatever we want.

redrick
August 28, 2009, 04:17 PM
MKTexas, this is a good thread, I am debating between the same guns. I have held both of them and the Benelli fits me better and you can change the LOP more on it than the Beretta. I don't think the reciol will bother me because I shoot an old Browning A5 now and it has a hard butt pad.

I am considering getting the Beretta too because it will shoot the 7/8 loads and I want do shoot some sporting clays as well as hunt deer with the same shotgun. The 391 just drags on my shoulder when I raise it naturally, but I could have it fitted or just train myself to extend my arms further when shouldering it I guess. Does anyone know what the length of pull is on the Urika 391?

Horseman
August 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
Big Jim P.

THe Super Sport is the exception to the rule. They look expensive. I like the carbon fiber and brushed silver receiver. My opinion is based on the 20 gauge M2 I almost bought. When you pull it out of the box it just doesn't look like a $1300 shotgun IMO. Look at all the craftsmanship that goes into producing a $1300-$1400 Browning or Beretta Over Under. Hand fitted parts, high polish, hand cut checkering, well figured walnut, etc. etc. A blow molded camo M2 should not cost the same as a well made O/U IMO.

I think mose Benelli models are excellent guns but overpriced.

BigJimP
August 28, 2009, 05:42 PM
I understand Horseman ..... its been a good debate - and we've both shared our perspective.

Have a good weekend .

Horseman
August 28, 2009, 05:59 PM
You too.

oneounceload
August 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
Cost is relative - but I consider a $ 1,800 shotgun relatively inexpensive / and price aside, if I thought the Beretta or any gas gun was a better gun, I'd buy 2 or 3 of them ...even if they were more expensive than the Benelli.

BigJim - for the price of 3 of those, you could get yourself a really nice Spanish SxS..........and have an AWESOME bird gun!..... ;)

MKTexas
August 28, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ok, I hear a lot about the gas guns being less money, but both of these are around $1,200.00 new.

I've sen a few used Urika 2s for $800, no used M2s

MKTexas
August 28, 2009, 10:32 PM
Items Sold by Elm Fork

AL391 URIKA 2

Model Gauge Barrel Length
(in) Price
AL391 Urika 2 Sporting 12 28 $795
AL391 Urika 2 (Youth) 20 24 $1,250

RJM
August 29, 2009, 06:27 AM
My local shop has a benelli M2, black composite but not comfortec stock for $850.00 new. Is that a good price for one? I don't keep up on these.

You should be able to find a Urika 2 for less than $1200.00, that sound like a price that would be on an Extrema 2, which is a great gun.

BigJimP
August 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks OneOunce - I'll pass on that Spanish SXS ... and 3 gas guns for that matter too / now if I win the lottery, the SXS Krieghoff Essencia might be a nice birthday present ( $ 30 K would probably take care of it )...

MKTexas
August 29, 2009, 06:40 PM
I hear:

Reliability will be equal. Fit should be your deciding factor.

What do you mean by fit?

AmmoSphere
August 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
Beretta

oneounceload
August 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks OneOunce - I'll pass on that Spanish SXS ... and 3 gas guns for that matter too / now if I win the lottery, the SXS Krieghoff Essencia might be a nice birthday present ( $ 30 K would probably take care of it )...

Shooting acquaintance has one - uses it for plantation quail...VERY nice CC on the receiver......but personally, for that money, I'm thinking AyA, Arrietta, Grulla or similar.....in a matched pair.... ;)

Singlesix1954
August 29, 2009, 11:05 PM
Around here there is 2 kinds of shotgunners. Those of us who shoot Benelli... and those who want too!

LanceOregon
August 30, 2009, 01:31 AM
Around here there is 2 kinds of shotgunners. Those of us who shoot Benelli... and those who want too!

Oh yea, we Beretta owners have such an absolute inferiority complex, it is pathetic.

After all, who would not be totally embarrassed and humiliated to be forced to shoot shotguns like these ones from my collection???

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/beretta_390s_email1.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/beretta_390s_email2.jpg

--

BrthrB
August 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
My pref is Benelli (M-1). I use them for work and for hunting (consistency in training). My Brother has the Beretta. From our experiences in the field, both will serve well. Find the one that handles and fits you best!

BigJimP
August 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
Looks like a nice pair of guns Lance

Coptalker
August 30, 2009, 10:11 PM
I own 4 and love every one of them. I have the SBE, Nova, Legacy and Super Sport. They are so easy to clean, extremely reliable, and the recoil has never been a problem, even with the 3 1/2 goose loads. I've shot literally tens of thousands of rounds through the SBE, from trap, upland, waterfowl and sporting clays. I can count on 2 fingers the number of times the gun failed to properly cycle a shell.

I really like the look of the Beretta shotguns, and have shot several. I'm sure they are as great to own as many have reported above. For me, though, the absolute reliability of the Benelli has kept me as a livetime customer.

Glen

ARDogman
September 5, 2009, 12:05 AM
I used to have a 20 ga M2. I liked the way the gun felt...just hated that the synthetic stock was flaking away. Anyway, I also couldn't shoot the gun for crap...maybe a fit issue. Anyway, I sold the M2, have been shooting an 1100, 870, A5 since. I have plenty of experience with shotguns, and I have had what I would consider a bad experience with Benelli. That said, I'm in the market for a new Benelli! Seems weird, but I think I might have just had a bad Benelli. I will get an M2 12 ga w/ 26" bbl soon. I know so many people who have them, and everyone who doesn't have one just simply doesn't have the disposable income to get one...otherwise they would (let me take the opportunity to reiterate that this is specifically among people I know.) Anyway...I dig the Benelli...I think it's a very good gun, and I'd go as far as to say that it's the best semiauto upland gun available.

zippy13
September 5, 2009, 09:46 AM
The OP is confused and sent up a major flare, and y'alls missed it!!
I hear:

Reliability will be equal. Fit should be your deciding factor.

What do you mean by fit? (emphasis added)

In the simpest terms, shotgun makers generally make their stocks with one-size-fits-all dimensions. Just like trousers come in many sizes and cars and trucks come with adjustable seats, in the real world people come in all shapes and sizes. Different sized folks are best served by different sized gun stocks. Remington's idea of the average shooter's size may not be the same as Winchester's.

When mounting new shotguns for the first time, you'll hear folks say how good one feels. What they actually mean is that the gun is closer to their "size" than the previous one. It has nothing to do with the value of the gun, but what the maker gussed about their end user size.

Getting a gun to fit properly is easier these days because the gun makers provide shims and other adjustments. In the past, your options were limited to adding, removing or bending the existing stock materials. The reason there are some many different sized recoil pads on the market is because people are first looking to change the length of pull (without messing up the wood) when fitting a new gun.

With the Beretta and the Benelli there are two things in common: They both come from the same area in Italy, so originally they were sizing their guns to the same population. (Remember, Beretta has been making firearms for almost 500 years, so they have a pretty good idea of what size stock best suits the average Italian.) And, recognizing that we're not all similarly sized Italians, Beretta and Benelli provide stock adjustments for their over-the-counter guns.

I think common sense tells us where we're more likely to get help finding a proper fitting stock when comparing a big-box discount store to a real guns only shop.

MKTexas
September 5, 2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks Zippy. That helps. I'm going to a local gun club for some lessons next weekis too.. They will surely be able to help with th

oregon-john
September 7, 2009, 03:00 PM
Benelli all the way. Customer service at Benelli is second to none. Confortech stock, super easy to clean. If you shoot a lot, just the amount of time saved cleaning will make the gun worth it. I know some will say that they never clean their Beretta gun, but I am one of the people that MUST clean the gun after shooting it. I just can not sleep if I do not. John

Grim_Reaper
September 7, 2009, 07:28 PM
That is easy go with the Benelli M2 and go with the peace of mind that you bought a gun that will shoot anything that you put in it and out last you and your grand kids will be shooting years from now.

clang
September 7, 2009, 10:34 PM
The closest I can comment on is a comparison of 2 guns I own:

Beretta FP1201 - This is an Inertia Recoil gun very similar to the Benelli system. As a matter of fact, some parts are interchangable and I wouldn't be surprised if Benelli built this gun for Beretta. It has a polymer stock and is extremely light for a 12ga (6.5 lb). No fancy recoil reducing system - just a recoil pad. This model was discontinued years ago, they also made a sweet police version of it.

Beretta 390 - Previous generation of the Gas Recoil 391. Wood stock, weighs about 7.5 lb, original recoil pad.

Both guns have been 100% reliable. The Inertia gun is a lot easier to carry, but kicks a heck of a lot harder than the Gas gun. More than the 1 lb difference in weight can account for. If I am doing a lot of walking and a little shooting - I'd go for the Inertia gun because it is lighter. If I was doing a lot of shooting, the Gas gun is the one I go to.

I've got a bunch of doubles too. Actually, I shoot them more than the Autos.

Oh - and I never had to contact Benelli Customer Service, But I can tell you Beretta Customer Service SUCKS. I had a very dissapointing experience dealing with them after my Tomcat's frame cracked.