PDA

View Full Version : How Much Training Do You Have?

Brian Pfleuger
August 25, 2009, 02:36 PM
I am curious as to the extent of training here on TFL.

When I say "legal" I mean ACTUAL training, as in you're a lawyer or have taken actual classes SPECIFICALLY aimed at the legal side if defense, not just that you've done a lot of reading.

I know, it would have been better with more options but it gets a little crazy... just pick the closest one.

May I suggest that, for the sake of simplicity, actual combat and/or other military experience be considered "extensive tactical and FOF";):)

Dannyl
August 25, 2009, 03:16 PM
HI,

I answered 1.

Without going into much detail, during my service I was obviously trained (and later trained my soldiers) in various ways of fighting, including the use of handguns in various scenarios, once or twice I actually go to put this training to the test of reality.

In civilian life I am a qualified firearms instructor, and have taught courses from compulsory training course (a requirement here that one must complete before he can apply for a gun license), this includes teaching firearm handling, the laws related to ownership, handling and display (brandishing) or use of firearms. (this is not my occupation, but I did it a while back for additional income)
To qualify for this one has to pass exams, (written and oral) that include extensive knowledge and understanding of the laws, as well as have the necessary knowledge and skills regarding firearm handling etc.

Other than that, I practice and / or take part in shooting sports almost every weekend. with these including IDPA and pin-shooting, I am quote happy to combine a refreshment of tactical skills with honing the skill of fast and accurate shooting ( I think thatany person who has done some pin-shooting will agree here);)

Cheers,
Danny

ATW525
August 25, 2009, 03:38 PM
My vote is: "Training?.... uh.....huh, huh.... uh"

Not that I'm untrained mind you, but I'd hardly consider my training in safety, marksmanship and defensive use of a handgun to be "extensive tactical" training.

THEZACHARIAS
August 25, 2009, 03:58 PM
I love my military training. Its extensive, its free, and it works! Throw in a little private sector gun-smithing, civilian legal, more military training (in order to work alongside the army) and some solid competition experience and BAM!! Somehow, I feel like I know what im doing :cool:

Skans
August 25, 2009, 04:19 PM
Does piling in a jeep with some other guys doing a mock drive-by at a private range count as "extensive" training?:D

BlackFeather
August 25, 2009, 05:45 PM
The most training I have is basic handgun use, a bit of knowledge from a former LEO, and very good all around combat skills from a few incidents... mostly running for cover...

javabum
August 25, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ive had training from a merge Sgt.out of San Jose with regards to pistols,revolvers and shotguns, during my time at a police academy(im not Leo,im dyslexic and didn't get through the report writing)plus the training i recieved from ccw class.

other than that i learn from others that are willing to teach.

Walter
August 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
I answered "little or no legal...extensive tactical and FoF". I had quite a
bit of OJT in SE Asia in the Marine Corps in 1969 and 1970, but there was
very little legal training, other than Wartime rules of engagement, which
don't really translate to concealed carry, or civilian life in-general.

I have taken the Texas concealed-carry licensing class three times, and
it is heavily loaded to all the legal aspects and ramifications of the use of,
or the need to use, lethal force. And since my instructor was an LEO,
there was a lot about the legal fallout AFTER the use of lethal force.
To me, that is maybe the most eye-opening part of the class.

Walter

hoytinak
August 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
A little legal with my CHL and Commissioned Security Officer training and quite a bit of tactical and FOF (lots of military (including training others) and some civilian.

Deaf Smith
August 26, 2009, 05:56 PM
Besides being a CHL instructor, 5th dan TKD (World Taekwondo Federation) with 30 years of it, Krav Maga practitioner, trained in about a dozen firearms classes (including FOF) from several very well known instructors, legal classes (Mas Ayoob), and other fun stuff like IDPA and IPSC (expert or above), well I've been a slacker most of my life at training.

Does everyone need that much? Doubt it.

Was it worth it? Yep!

Am I going to take more? Oh yea! Already paid the $$.

I'd say for a basic minimum please take LFI-1 and one good basic handgun course (take it before LFI-1.) And if you want some H2H skills (as in martial but not the 'art'), I highly recommend Krav Maga.

But I admit, I like to train. It's a form of vacation for me.

Last time they checked my BP it was 127/73 and heart rate of 47.

That's what TKD and Krav Maga will do for you!

Snakum
August 26, 2009, 06:07 PM
Does piling in a jeep with some other guys doing a mock drive-by at a private range count as "extensive" training?

It does in my book. In fact, I think I'm going to try that scenario this weekend. Sounds fun. :D

All my training has been US Army (Infantry), which I passed on to others for hire in my younger days, and with some civilian handgun, shotgun, carbine classes and some personal security/protection stuff. My only legal training is what I got while reading law books in prison.

(Just kidding about the law books. Sort of. :D )

Deaf Smith
August 26, 2009, 07:23 PM
Does piling in a jeep with some other guys doing a mock drive-by at a private range count as "extensive" training?

Chapman Academy Advance Pistol... we did just that. Only we were shown how to get the hits!

Robert Johnson
August 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
It's a way of life.

raimius
August 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
Pretty decent tactical training (weapons handling and some buddy/squad work)

Some FOF stuff, but more as a hobby than specific courses.

No formal legal training, but probably a couple dozen hours of reading.

VHinch
August 26, 2009, 09:58 PM
Military, LEO, and extensive civilian (mainly Thunder Ranch and Gunsite).

Hallucinator
August 27, 2009, 08:13 AM
I carried a 1911 and a shotgun in Vietnam. I guess that qualifies me for a little tactical training, but I've never taken a course that was specific to CC issues and laws. I plan to do this in the near future. I got some really good advice from a lawyer yesterday. He is a well trained gun owner and exactly the person to talk to. There are a few laws and practical ways of addressing them that need to be inculcated in to our minds in order to protect ourselves both legally and physically. I'm looking for a CCW self defense course now.

sakeneko
August 27, 2009, 11:04 AM
I answered the last one because I don't yet have anything that could be called "extensive". I've got my CCW and taken basic firearms safety, but that doesn't qualify as extensive legal or tactical training -- in my opinion, anyway. Fortunately I also learned to shoot as a kid, won a few marksmanship medals when I was a teenager (with a 22 rifle), and practice a *lot* now that I have my own handgun. We also have a relatively new Mossberg shotgun with a very new Knoxx stock on it that's for home defense, and I'll be working with that quite a bit too.

Classes are coming up -- as soon as we get out from under the insane overload at work. :-)

lefteye
August 31, 2009, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure where my training (and experience) fits. In Vietnam I carried several American firearms while wearing civilian clothing performing my MI duties: Colt Detective Special .38, Colt 1911 .45 ACP, M-16, Winchester Model 97 12 ga. (about 20"). I had training (to some extent) in the use of all of these firearms, as well as other "weapons", e.g., dogs. We also had a few more "exotic" semiautomatic firearms from other sources for which we had no training, but most were excellent weapons.

Doc TH
August 31, 2009, 09:59 PM
12 years in military, three years competitive shooting in military. No formal tactical training in civilian sector. Years of experience in emergency room in a "knife and gun club" area of a NE inner city, but that's limited to seeing the outcomes of gunfights.
Note that any "legal" training in tactical use of firearms is state-specific and may even be region-specific.

Legionnaire
September 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
Legal with Mas Ayoob (and others); tactical with LFI, Insights, Storm Mountain; no extensive FOF, though, except one defensive folding knife class.

Ian0351
September 1, 2009, 08:59 PM
Aside from perusing the laws relevant to my state and attaining a CWP, no legal training (short pamphlet, no class or test). Extensive tactical, FOF and simmunitions training courtesy of the USMC, including a trip to the 'ghan.

dev_null
September 1, 2009, 10:33 PM
So anything less than 'extensive tactical' gets lumped into 'nada?'

Not being confrontational, just trying to understand.

Not quite sure where to slot two NRA courses, a Defensive Handgun course, 10,000 rounds downrange on my own, and a couple of years of Shi to ryu Karate (sorry, only way I could get past the nanny filter) that did not include any disarming techniques.

scrub12b
September 1, 2009, 10:38 PM
no formal legal training, but plenty of training and practice courtesy of the army.

deadcoyote
September 1, 2009, 10:54 PM
I'm in my fourth trimester of Emergency Target Intervention Tactics (E-TIT) with Gecko45.

Stevie-Ray
September 2, 2009, 07:45 PM
Graduate of Handgun Ordered Tactics-Specified High Intensive Training.

w_houle
September 2, 2009, 09:37 PM
Army, KSARNG, Hunter's safety course, and sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express!

serf 'rett
September 2, 2009, 11:40 PM
Geee willikers, one can get training for this stuff? I certainly know the recent CCL class wouldn't qualify for much training. Punched a few holes back in mid 70's with college NROTC rifle and pistol team.

Skan21
September 3, 2009, 12:07 AM
Army Infantry, 16 months (12 in Mosul, 4 in Baghdad) in Iraq, and ditto the Holiday Inn Express. So does the HIE count as legal expertise? 'Cause if it does, I might have to change my answer.

sholling
September 3, 2009, 05:38 PM
I'd add more choice if it were my poll. For example what is extensive? I day and 200rds? 3 days and 1000rds? 6000 hours and 100,000rds? Define it. As it is you'll have guys with 4 hours defining it as extensive and others with 80 hours saying not extensive.

Brian Pfleuger
September 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'd add more choice if it were my poll. For example what is extensive?

It would be nice to have more options but a mere 4 choices for each of three subjects would mean a poll with 64 combinations....

So far as defining "extensive", I thought about it but then I figured that the thread would turn into an argument about what is or is not extensive. So, I left it at your own opinion of whether or not your traing is extensive.

G-man 26
September 6, 2009, 12:32 PM
Well, I have some martial arts, and some competition/tactical pistol class, and some legal (CCW class). We practice lots, and are beginning to ramp up our run-n-gun exercises. I don't call any of this "extensive", but I don't feel "duuuuuhhhhh" was a good answer either. That is what I put, because the little training I have is sadly closer to "duuuuuhhhhh" than extensive. Maybe I need to train more? We could always use more training.

armsmaster270
September 6, 2009, 03:36 PM
Owned and taught @ my own state certified firearms, Baton & chemical agents training school, Armorer, Rangemaster, M.P., Squad Leader 270th M.P Co. (-) 16 years. 18 years as Civilian Police Officer, Silver Medal of Valor Recipient. one actual shooting and I won.