PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with crow?

BLS700
August 18, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm going to try crow hunting for the first time this year. We have way too many in western pa and it seems like it would be alot of fun. My question is this what do you do with a crow? I see guys that get piles of crow so what then? Any comments on what you do after shooting a crow would be good information for me.

Crankylove
August 18, 2009, 10:26 AM
what you do after shooting a crow

Watch the feathers flutter in the breeze, and move on to the next one. buzzards gotta eat............same as worms.

Kreyzhorse
August 18, 2009, 10:34 AM
I heard crow stew is pretty tasty. :barf: Other than shooting them, I'm not aware that any one does any thing with them.

Doyle
August 18, 2009, 10:45 AM
Coyote bait.

Brian Pfleuger
August 18, 2009, 10:50 AM
I laugh at the cloud of feathers. If it's not too far then I might walk over and marvel at the effect of the bullet.

Oh, and I cheer, usually it's like a cross between a school girl giggle and the 6 feet tall 250lb drunk guy cheering on a football team.

hogdogs
August 18, 2009, 11:27 AM
If you can identify the carcass, your shot placement is off or round is too small:D
Brent

Brian Pfleuger
August 18, 2009, 11:28 AM
If you can identify the carcass, your shot placement is off or round is too small

That's entirely possible.... it's usually a 22-250 or 204 ruger. Does make for a very nice "POOF!" however.

JWT
August 18, 2009, 11:35 AM
Could send them to the politicians in Washington and let them all eat crow...

publius
August 18, 2009, 11:37 AM
Like everyone else, I kill them. they are passed on as food to the buzzards,hawks,pigs, yotes, and coons. Might even catch a pig or coyote having dinner over one. Bam, more food for the others.

BLS700
August 18, 2009, 11:44 AM
that's what i always thought. I have used them for coyote bait but this will be the first time I actually specifically go out to hunt crow. So I'll explain why I wondered this. I keep seeing guys shooting crows then throwing them in a pickup. That sparked my curiosity and I wondered do they know something I don't? Apparently not. And its a .204 ruger, in regard to the round size, loaded with 40 grain nosler ballistic tips.

BLS700
August 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
Anyone had any good success with a particular call?

simonkenton
August 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
This web site is run by a college buddy of mine, Jerry Tomlin.
He is an expert at hunting, and eating crows.

http://www.thecrowroost.com/RECIPES.htm

Grilled Crow Breast
Breast out crows the same way you would a dove. Soak the breast
in water with a tablespoon of salt for 30 minutes to draw out some
of the blood. Marinate the breast for 20 minutes in Dale's Steak
Sauce or other soy based sauce. Red wine also works well but
needs to soak overnight.
Drain off the marinade and place the breast on a hot grill with wet
hickory chips andcook for 10 minutes on each side. Avoid over
cooking as this tends to dry out the meat and toughen it. When
cooked properly the meat cuts and looks like grilled venison.

Crock Pot Crow Breast

Line the bottom and sides of the crock pot with slices of potato to
keep the breast from touching the pot. Stack 24 breast which have
been pre-soaked into the pot. Sprinkle one package of onion soup
mix over the breast and add 1/2 cup of water. Cook on high setting
for 2 hours and then reduce to low for 4 hours. The breast will be
very tender done this was. If you like you can also add salt and
pepper to taste and a real onion and diced stalk of celery.

In hanging around Jerry, I have had the grilled crow breast, and the crockpot crow breast, quite a few times.
It is good! It is dark meat, these central Georgia crows are getting fat on pecans and corn so they are as good for you as wild hog or venison.

banditt007
August 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
www.crowbusters.com i'm sure you can find some info there.

I shot one and only one by pure chance.....was a great shot but i wont get into that. Anyway, i breasted it out w/ full intentions of at least trying a bite of it. Both to satisfy curiosity, as well as to try something new. Who knows i might like it? Anyway, its been in the freezer since i shot it, which is about 2 years ago now. I'm sure its all freezer burn and would not taste anything like it would fresh. I just cannot bring myself to eat it, yet i feel guilty throwing it out! So its still sitting there! I eat all sorts of stuff, or at least try it. Come winter i eat squirrel on a semi regular basis, so its not like I only eat 'normal' meats. It seems that food is different tasting when YOU were the one to cut it up from start to finish. Its almost like when you smell it cooking it reminds me somehow of the smell of the fresh kill/guts. This is the only animal i've ever had this problem with, though i admit there hasn't been that many 'weird' animals i've taken/tried to eat.

Only thing i was thinking with crows, is that you might be able to find a place that cares for birds of prey. Maybe they would want some fresh kills to feed their birds? Problem IMO with that is, if a shotgun is used larger shot that normal would be needed to make sure its all pass throughs so the birds arent chowing down on lead. and with a high velocity rifle its going to blow the bird up and or have fragments throughout it. Something like a .22 lr IMO would be perfect. One projectile, no red mist, and bullet should most likely be in one piece or pass through.

I have read that they really don't taste bad, and if you think they were more likely eating from a farm than a dumpster, even more reason to try. I say try it once if you dont like it leave them to the scavengers.

WAPITI_ASSASSIN
August 18, 2009, 10:13 PM
+1 for crankylove,
dust em, wach the feathers fly then move to the next one. :D

Skan21
August 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is true or not, because my squad leader told me, and about half the time he was full of crap. But when I was stationed in Alaska, I was told that it's a crime to kill crows. Something like a $10000 fine. I believed it at the time because the crows in Fairbanks are HUGE! I mean, like almost eagle huge. We called them dumpster chickens. I'll ask WildAlaska for confirmation. Or someone that lives there anyway.

cornbush
August 18, 2009, 10:50 PM
Let the feathers settle, wait for his buddies and repeat. they make good fertilizer.

StiveC2007
August 18, 2009, 10:58 PM
leave them for squirrels to learn a lesson from

Skan21
August 19, 2009, 03:09 AM
Apparently the "crows" I was talking about aren't crows, they're ravens. And hunting them is regulated.

VaFisher
August 19, 2009, 06:28 AM
Skan21 Apparently the "crows" I was talking about aren't crows, they're ravens. And hunting them is regulated.
Yes they were Ravens and I was just getting ready to say so when I saw your post. They look like crows only twice as big and they make different sounds plus they scavenge very much the same.

simonkenton
August 19, 2009, 07:37 AM
From audubonportland.org

Crows are Protected Under Federal Law

Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Act of 1918. It is illegal to harm a crow or to destroy and active nest. It is also illegal to have a crow as a pet. Only facilities that possess federal permits to use crows for educational purposes are allowed to keep crows in captivity.

When my college pal Jerry was setting up his crow hunting business he learned of this law and was afraid he might get nailed by the feds.
If you looked at that link above, you will see that Jerry and his clients kill thousands of crows annually.
As I recall, he gets away with it on the crop depredation waiver. They usually shoot in pecan orchards, and crows really do hammer the pecans down there in central Georgia.

Y'all are squeamish at the thought of eating crow.
Have you ever eaten catfish? Have you ever eaten shrimp?
Bottom feeders. Have you ever thought of the kind of crap that these animals eat?
Everybody likes wild hog, have you thought of the kind of crap a hog will eat?
Hogs will eat an entire crow, beak, feathers, and claws.

Sure a crow will eat some carrion, but they prefer good food such as pecans, corn, etc.

Get rational, boys, and try cooking up a few crow breasts, they are good!

Dingoboyx
August 19, 2009, 07:46 AM
I know what the crow says when you shoot it.... Faaaaarrrrrrkkk!:eek::D

Evidently crow tastes alright, if you use a little garlic :D

Oh, and don't forget some flava beans & a nice Kiante... Ft...Ft...Ft :D

Brian Pfleuger
August 19, 2009, 09:17 AM
Crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Act of 1918. It is illegal to harm a crow or to destroy and active nest....As I recall, he gets away with it on the crop depredation waiver.

I don't know what the current status of the crow is under federal law, but I do know that NY state has an open season so they're definitely not "protected". Our season runs from Sept 1 - May 31, for some reason Friday through Monday only. There are no limits whatsoever on number or method of take. Beyond that, many people generally shoot crow all year long with little or no regard and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. Crows are quite literally an epidemic in this area.

Wiskey_33
August 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
GA has a crow season as well:

Nov 7-Feb 28...no limit.

You can also kill them if they're tearing up crops, anytime.

wyobohunter
August 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
In Alaska you must use the bird for either food or clothing, so I pull out a feather and put it in my cap...clothing;)

Pahoo
August 19, 2009, 10:49 AM
Brings back memories of when I was a kid and a bunch of us would trade what we trapped or shot and couldn't take home, with some Hobos. Guess there aren't any of them anymore. Anyway, one time we had some crows and this same question came up. So we asked "Shorty" how to cook a crow? He said to just make a soup like chicken soup. We then asked him what they tasted like and he paused and said;
"A little bit like an Owl" ..... :eek:
Not sure if we ever asked him anything else after that !!

Be Safe !!!

GeauxTide
August 19, 2009, 10:55 AM
I leave 'em on the ground or place them in selected locations. Other crows stay away for several days, leaving my crops alone.

4406v
August 19, 2009, 11:30 AM
I am also in western Pa. if you'd like p.m. me I'd really like to get in on some "new" crow areas.I have the electronic caller,tapes etc.

We bag and use the dead crows as decoys till we're done hunting.I haven't tried eating them but would have no problem if you know a good recipe.

I can tell you it is a blast (literally) you won't beleive how much fun it is.You'll be hooked for life.

Dingoboyx
August 19, 2009, 12:09 PM
You made me spill my coffee... :D Ya funny bugga :D

watchale
August 19, 2009, 04:12 PM
That was hilarious ! :D

Vanya
August 19, 2009, 05:02 PM
There's a famous recipe for crow stew that goes something like this:

Cut up a rabbit and put it in a pot with potatoes, onions, herbs, and water to cover.

Cover the pot and set it over a low fire.

Place the crow on top of the lid.

Simmer until the rabbit is tender, throw away the crow, and serve.

:p

Dingoboyx
August 20, 2009, 02:20 AM
^ You're just as bad Vanya ^ :D:D:D

ROTFL

eclipsetactical
August 20, 2009, 05:32 AM
I am not eating no damn crow unless it comes down to it and I have to. Shoot the damn thing watching it turn into a feather shower and keep walking and shoot some more. I get tired of hearing those things wake me up in the morning neways. :D

4406v
August 20, 2009, 06:39 AM
O.K. here's a few hunting tips.Wear complete camoflauge including the face,try not to let any crows see you setting up.Kill the first crow in (the scout) and it will make getting the rest to come in easier.We scout ahead of time and find areas crows are already using and set up there.Once the shooting starts it will be fast paced and really exciting.Once the action dies down move at least a mile away and start over.
I have some old Pennsylvania Game News magazines from the 50's and early 60's.In almost every issue there are pictures and articles showing truckloads of dead crows and even hawk and owls were legal then.I never realized how much fun crow hunting was and knowone I knew had ever tried it.I went the first time and was immediately hooked!!! I bought a Johnny Stewart electronic caller and alot of tapes so the next time I need alot of wingshooting practice all I need is a couple boxes of shells.

BLS700
August 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
yeah crows are in season here. Friday, Saturday, Sunday from July to April. And is it just me or have they gotten alot bigger in the last ten years? I'm not that old but I swear crows were not always that size.

hornady
August 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
You guys ruined my idea. I guess they are eatable. I was going to feed them to the Mother-in law.

PT111
August 20, 2009, 05:38 PM
Y'all are squeamish at the thought of eating crow.
Have you ever eaten catfish? Have you ever eaten shrimp?
Bottom feeders. Have you ever thought of the kind of crap that these animals eat?
Everybody likes wild hog, have you thought of the kind of crap a hog will eat?
Hogs will eat an entire crow, beak, feathers, and claws.

Sure a crow will eat some carrion, but they prefer good food such as pecans, corn, etc.

I grew up on a farm with all kinds of animals. One of the nastiest animals on the face of the earth in this regard is a chicken. Chicken walk around behind other chickens eating what they can find out of their droppings. If one chicken should get a sore the others will go crazy pecking at it eating the infection from it. There is no animal any worse that a chicken. With that said I do eat chicken breast and sometimes a leg or thigh. I do not eat chicken wings or chicken feet. Buffalo wings are nothing but chicken skin, fat, gristle and sometimes bone dipped in some kind of sauce just to make it hot. Everything the French cook seems to be soaked in chicken fat and sometimes I have to turn away before I throw up and if I see someone eating half cooked over easy eggs I do.

I would just as soon eat a crow as a chicken from the squeamish part. But since I have never eaten crow I have no idea how they taste.

Pahoo
August 20, 2009, 06:52 PM
I would just as soon eat a crow as a chicken from the squeamish part. But since I have never eaten crow I have no idea how they taste.
Wow, after all that, you say you have never eaten a crow!! ... :confused:
This next season, I am going to eat a crow that I shoot and let everyone know how I fixed it and how it tastes. Back when, saw my buddy cook and eat a Cardinal during one of our survival weekends and didn't slow him down. I get arond these thing by reminding myself that it is all protein. I've eaten Muskrat and that was a chore but have to say that it was okay but just like boot camp, don't want to that again.

Be Safe !!!!

PT111
August 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
Let's just say that I have never eaten crow that I know of but may very well have. Used to be that when it rained they would cook some stuff over in the warehouse and no one ever bothered or was brave enough to ask what it was. :eek: Funny that in my part of the country I never saw crows until that past 10 or so years. They are definitely making a comeback since the EPA has banned all the stuff we used to put on the corn when we planted it.

And if anyone wondered spotted owl and bald eagle taste very much alike but ivory billed woodpeckers have a much milder flavor. :)

hogdogs
August 20, 2009, 08:34 PM
"roast beast" was the best you got for a description at a bunch of meals I ate... The collie hide in the shower of one guy's place was not seen until after we all had a "B-B-Q beast" samich... but it was good even to my 5 year old palate...
Brent

Brian Pfleuger
August 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
Buffalo wings are nothing but chicken skin, fat, gristle and sometimes bone dipped in some kind of sauce just to make it hot.

You sir, need to stop by my pizza shop. My wings will make you qualify that statement.;):)

langenc
August 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
Could send them to the politicians in Washington and let them all eat crow...

Why?? They are the ones with multi million retirements and supurb healthcare and practically free lunches.

snipecatcher
August 21, 2009, 04:50 PM
Crow tastes fine. When I was younger (10-14ish years old) I would go hunting with my crazy old uncle and company. We would stay out there for 3 days or so, and only bring minimal food, such as beans/crackers/etc. We would hunting everything: deer, pigs, and birds. A couple of the times we were camped out, we hunted crows with an owl decoy surrounded by 3 crow decoys, and an electronic caller. We would usually bring down a dozen of them in a day. They would then be filleted, much as you would with a goose or duck. We threw this in a stew with potatoes, onions, and whatever else. Tasted pretty damn good. The meat is basically the same as goose. I actually have quite a bit of respect for the critters. Crows along with ravens are the smartest birds in the world. I don't think I could kill one without the intention of keeping the meat, unless a farmer needed them off of his land for obvious reasons.
-Dan

Pahoo
August 21, 2009, 07:01 PM
snipecatcher
Well thank you sir as we finally found someone that knows what crow tastes like. Thought I'd have to eat crow myself. :)

By any chance, was you Uncle named "Shorty" ??? .... Refrense reply #25

Be Safe !!!

James R. Burke
August 21, 2009, 07:11 PM
Try to blow them up with the first shot, or use them for bait.

snipecatcher
August 22, 2009, 01:03 AM
Haha, no, his name is Freddy. He is a Vietnam vet and a tough SOB. All of my friends complain that I walk too fast. I think it's from following him around the woods all those years. He is about 6'4" and takes long strides, and at the time, I was damn near running to keep up, for miles. You either kept up or got left behind. He taught me most of what I know of hunting and ethics. He also used to take us pig hunting with dogs, and man that was a blast. He has since given up hunting, only killing varmints that go after his chickens. The man has killed literally thousands of animals in his life, so I don't blame him.
-Dan

animal
August 22, 2009, 01:48 AM
Geez, I come back to see what ya’ll are blabbing about and it’s the same stuff as a coupla years ago…

crow tastes like stringy meat made out of what it eats … field crow is okay, carrion crow kinda leaves a bit to be desired…. Depends on how hungry you are.

Same with opossums … but you can control it … if you want good ‘possum ‘n taters you don’t kill ‘em because they’ve been eating all kinds of nastiness, smell like carrion, and taste like carrion crap. :barf:You catch them, pen ‘em up, and feed ‘em corn for 2 or three weeks. This cleans the buggers out and the meat will be good. ;)
The next thing to deal with is the sweet potatoes. They’re just nasty, and there’s nothing you can do about it. :D

Skan21
August 22, 2009, 03:12 AM
I've eaten Muskrat

What on earth is a muskrat? That just sounds as if it tastes like garbage.

The collie hide in the shower of one guy's place was not seen until after we all had a "B-B-Q beast" samich

ROTFL! Oh man, that reminds me of the time I got a pita sandwich off a street vendor in Iraq. I ate it, and it tasted funny, not at all like the beef I thought it was. Not bad, in fact pretty good, but different. So I dragged our translator over so he could find out what it was. Apparently, they have hedgehogs in Iraq. And they are delicious. You never could have gotten me to eat one if I had known what it was though.

Pahoo
August 22, 2009, 11:04 AM
What on earth is a muskrat? That just sounds as if it tastes like garbage.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Muskrat

Here in the Midwest, there are Wild-Game feeds every year and you really don't know what they might have from year to year but there are always some common meats. Muskrats, as well as other fur bearing animals, are trapped and the carcus is donated for these feeds. As you walk thru the line, you can pass on it or take what you want. To some folks, the Muskrat is a favorite. It only eats vegitation in waterways and swamps. Does not taste like chicken but is good eating. ;)

ROTFL! Oh man, that reminds me of the time I got a pita sandwich off a street vendor in Iraq.
Pita sandwiches from same in Athens Greece. Found out later that it was Dog or Cat and they were great especially after a few beers. They had to tell us !!!

Be Safe !!!

PT111
August 22, 2009, 05:27 PM
The family of a classmate of my daughter's ran a Chinese restaurant. He told her that they would never waste a delicacy such as dog or cat on Americans so she didn't have to worry about that. It did not help her dislike of Chinese food. We never eat Chinese when she is home. :D

hogdogs
August 22, 2009, 05:39 PM
we call those little skewers of chicken... "cat on a stick"...
Brent

LanceOregon
August 22, 2009, 07:15 PM
My question is this what do you do with a crow? I see guys that get piles of crow so what then?

You line them up in rows, like this, and create a crow cemetery for them:

http://www.crowbusters.com/photos/mphoto87.jpg

http://www.crowbusters.com/photos/mphoto68.jpg

http://www.crowbusters.com/photos/mphoto58.jpg

http://www.crowbusters.com/photos/mphoto46.jpg

http://www.crowbusters.com/photos/mphoto3.jpg

Fat White Boy
August 22, 2009, 10:07 PM
I know crows are protected but in the desert here in California they are a huge predator of small desert tortises. sometimes you will find a pile of shells on the ground-Look up, there will be a crow or raven nest above you...Shoot 'em when you can...

Dingoboyx
September 5, 2009, 04:28 AM
Funny you mention cats & chinese food :D My favorite chinese dish is 'Woof Meow Mein' :eek::D:barf:

QBall45
September 5, 2009, 05:58 PM
shot em amd watch the feathers float in the wind.

Stillhunter
September 6, 2009, 10:43 AM
I hunt crows to keep me & my rifles dialed in.Strange though,using soft points my 270,30-06,&300 all make big holes in them,but they pretty much stay in tack.On the other hand the 223 explodes them,every time.Crows are the bad ass gangs of the sky.The more of them in a group the braver they are.They rob nestlings of other birds.They are more of a nuisance than people think.I use an owl call& decoy to lure them in.Owls & crows are mortal enemies.So just shoot,em & leave,em or shoot,em & eat,em,population of crows still need to be kept in check.

hogdogs
September 6, 2009, 02:14 PM
My next crows will be shot with #3 buck 20 gauge or 160-170 grain .30-30...
Wanna see the massive destruction...:D
Brent

dms
September 6, 2009, 06:45 PM
Everytime I have shot them I leave them for the coyotes and the next day they are gone.

Grim_Reaper
September 6, 2009, 08:52 PM
Leave them where they lie. I want eat a crow, they are a fully feathered buzzard.

12-34hom
September 7, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have a load for my 6mm AI, 55 grain Nosler B.T. at 4000fps+.

I use it to crow hunt when the season opens in Iowa. Combination Coyote & crow hunt during the winter season is a great time. One shot - one kill was never truer when hunting crows with a hi-power.

Never have eaten one, pheasant - quail - are more edible.

12-34hom

BIKENUT06
September 11, 2009, 06:48 PM
shoot,laugh shoot again