PDA

View Full Version : BAR same action as BAR?

Come and take it.
August 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
Does the Browning automatic rifle from WW2

use the same action

As the BAR sporting rifle?

emcon5
August 12, 2009, 12:21 PM
For what it's worth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1918_Browning_Automatic_Rifle

The BAR hunting rifle currently offered by Browning is a completely different firearm, unrelated in design to the Browning military weapons.

ChicagoTex
August 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
The wikipedia article is correct. The two are insanely different. Besides a semi-auto action and a detchable magazine, I'm actually hard pressed to think of any ways they are mechanically similar.

The new BAR is more reliable anyway.

Buzzcook
August 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
I think it is the M240 machine gun that uses the same action as the BAR. But don't quote me on that.

ChicagoTex
August 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
I think it is the M240 machine gun that uses the same action as the BAR. But don't quote me on that.

Correct, the M240 (and M249) both use the basic BAR design, albeit upside down to accomodate belt-feeding.

Come and take it.
August 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
I was just curious about FNs new FNAR rifle.

It uses the modern BAR action and wasnt for sure if they were related to the old action.

FNARs are pretty sleek rifles.

44 AMP
August 12, 2009, 09:13 PM
WWII BAR and civilian sporting rifle BAR are not the same action. Not even close. The only thing they have in common is the name, the fact that they have detatchable magazines (of very different designs), and chamber the .30-06 (.30-06 only in GI BAR, other calibers available in civilian BAR)

Correct, the M240 (and M249) both use the basic BAR design, albeit upside down to accomodate belt-feeding

If you look back a bit further, you'll see that the basic locking system comes from the even earlier Maxim machine gun. Very dependable when done right. Both the BAR and the M240 have proven themselves to be so. Certain basic mechanical principles don't change.