PDA

View Full Version : Garand NM sights

johnwilliamson062
August 10, 2009, 10:58 AM
I am considering switching my Garand to NM sights. I was able to find a front sight at midway USA, but no rear sight. Brownells had a crappy sight that I did not like. Maybe I have some misconceptions about this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=218131

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25091/Product/M1_M14_M1A_FRONT___REAR_SIGHTS

Old Grump
August 10, 2009, 11:17 AM
Have you tried Fulton Armory

http://www.fulton-armory.com/MParts.htm#Parts

If nothing else maybe they can tell you where to go for sights but I would think they have them since they have everything else for the M1

30Cal
August 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
They dried up about 4 or 5 years back. If you find a set, they'll probably set you back about $300'ish.

I think Smith Ent. is making a good reproduction these days.

FWIW, the rear sight is excellent for shooting round targets in full daylight. In all other conditions, they're terrible.

johnwilliamson062
August 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
I am perfectly OK with a well made reproduction. Will check with Fulton and SEI

SEI has a nice set. $30 for the front sight and $225 for the rear. Anyone else want to convince me the rear sight is not useful outside competition? Quite pricey.

wjkuleck
August 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
The NM front sight is a useful change. It is narrower, thus it provides a bit more precise aiming point.

The NM rear sight has two components. One is the half-minute windage sight base and windage knob, the other is the hooded aperture on an eccentric that gives a half minute shift in elevation. See the FAQ Page at Fulton Armory (http://www.fulton-armory.com/) for more details on the NM sights.

The smaller aperture is more useful on the known-distance range than for general use. However, some people like the increased precision of pupil centering with the smaller aperture. The tradeoff is that the field of vision will not be quite as bright with the smaller aperture as it will for the larger. Note that you don't get the 1/2 minute windage adjustment without the NM sight base & windage knob. Nevertheless, there are folks who go for the NM aperture just for the smaller hole. You do have to do some minor fitting because the NM aperture is intended to be a snug fit into the rear sight base.

BTW, the Camp Perry sale at Fulton Armory ends at midnight tonight, so if you want a NM front sight or rear aperture, now would be a good time to order.

Regards,

Walt

sneaky pete
August 10, 2009, 02:11 PM
old Sneaky Pete here: I like the NM rear aperature mostly CUZ of the shading it gives you(combatting glare) over the issue one. the 1/2 MOA adjustment is nice but remember that 1 MOA @ 600 is 6" and that is sill in the 10 ring. Besides most people I know of--myself included-- can't hold 1MOA anyway so if you feel that spending $40 on the NM rear aperature to cut the glare is worth it then go for it-- I did. THANX--SNEAKY:)

DMK
August 10, 2009, 04:16 PM
However, some people like the increased precision of pupil centering with the smaller aperture. That is exactly why I bought mine.. well that and the hood. My eyesight isn't that good and the smaller aperture really helped sharpen up the view. It may not be as good in low light, but it did help me in all kinds of shooting.

Now, I'm not sure it's $225 better. I paid $50 each for my front and rear sights a few years ago. Today, I'd probably just get the front on unless I came across a deal.

Slamfire
August 10, 2009, 08:35 PM
The NM front sight is a useful change. It is narrower, thus it provides a bit more precise aiming point.

When the M1a was still around, the only people who used NM front sights were those who used a 6 OC hold. Everyone else was looking for the widest front post they could find.

The "NM" .062 front was used when you shot on the 5V target. I have shot on the 5V target. Trying to center the 5V target on a GI post, well imagine the GI post as the infinite horizon, and the 5v target as a tiny dot. There is no middle to that sight picture, only an infinite flat surface.

jrothWA
August 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
turn right @ Rt2, and get to Camp Perry, Now!

The hi-power phase of the National matches in on.
Commercial row will have what you need and a lot of information.

nbkky71
August 12, 2009, 02:02 PM
turn right @ Rt2, and get to Camp Perry, Now!

The hi-power phase of the National matches in on.
Commercial row will have what you need and a lot of information.

Just got back from Perry on Sunday... I didn't recall seeing too any vendors with NM sights for the M1/M14. But then again... I wasn't actively looking for a set either. Arrington Accuracy or Fulton Armory would be the first places to check.

4EVERM-14
August 12, 2009, 02:14 PM
If you can survive without the 1/2 min. hood there is a cheap way to get a smaller aperture rear sight. Fill the standard rear sight hole with epoxy. Drill a .052 hole as close to center as possible. Color in with magic marker. Adding color stain to the epoxy is even better. You won't have 1/2 min. adjustments but you haven't spent alot of money either.