PDA

View Full Version : Building a M1 Garand

JRDANIELS
August 7, 2009, 10:15 AM
Would like to build up a M1 Garand. Where should I start?

wjkuleck
August 7, 2009, 10:41 AM
Why, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide, of course :D!

Regards,

Walt

Orlando
August 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
You will need a good source of parts.
Unless you are doing it for the enjoyment it will be much cheaper to buy a complete rifle
Not only parts but specialized tools , gauges, etc

Chipperman
August 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
Start by buying a rifle from here:
http://www.odcmp.com/

Take it apart, then "build" it back up.

:D

There is no way to buy a complete set of M1 parts nowadays without spending a LOT more money than CMP will charge you for a complete working gen-u-wine M1.

wjkuleck
August 7, 2009, 12:22 PM
+1 for Orlando and Chipperman. The hangup is always the receiver; start with a CMP rifle and go from there. The exemplar in The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide started with a CMP "less-wood" Danish.

Regards,

Walt

greyson97
August 7, 2009, 01:41 PM
http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

in regards to this page
what does WRA, SA and HRA stand for?
and if i just want a brand new Garand, and dont care about it being an actual old used rifle that actually served in the war,

RM1SPECIAL M1 Garand, Springfield Special
Due to heavy demand ,please allow 180 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. New production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new leather sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
See photos below for more detail. $995

is that the one i should get?

wjkuleck
August 7, 2009, 02:55 PM
During WWII, there were two manufacturers of M1 Garands, Springfield Armory (the real one, the National Armory in Springfield, MA, whose name was appropriated after the Armory's closure in 1968 by a commercial firm now based in IL, which has no connection with the actual Springfield Armory), coded "SA," and Winchester Repeating Arms, coded "WRA."

In the '50's, in response to the wastage of the Korean War Springfield Armory reinstated production circa '53, and two commercial firms, Harrington & Richardson Arms (HRA) and International Harvester Corporation (IHC), were also contracted to manufacture Garands. In the '50's the Beretta firm in Italy was designated NATO's supplier of Garands and Garand parts. Beretta (PB) and their partner, Breda Meccannica (BMB/BMR), built "USGI" Garands with technical support from Springfield Armory (the real one).

Your proposed selection is a rational choice. Beware of recent commercial manufactures, i.e., CAI, Lithgow, and even Springfield, Inc. (S, Inc., DBA "Springfield Armory"). Only USGI receivers: SA, WRA, IHC, HRA and Beretta/Breda should be considered for use or assembly.

Regards,

Walt

greyson97
August 7, 2009, 03:18 PM
thanks wjkuleck

that was most informative

wjkuleck
August 7, 2009, 08:21 PM
You're welcome.

If you don't want to wait six months, and your budget can afford the finest custom Garand money can buy, please consider a Fulton Armory (http://www.fulton-armory.com/) M1. I have several, and can attest that you can do no better. In fact, it was my first Fulton Armory Garand that caused me to seek out Clint McKee (the owner & founder) and eventually led to my association with Fulton Armory.

And, it's "Walt," OK?

Best regards,

Walt