PDA

View Full Version : Anyone CC a full size handgun?

cracked91
August 5, 2009, 05:08 AM
Does anyone use a full size or large handgun as their main CC?(ie 1911,)
Whats your carry, how do you carry, and how often do you carry?
Got another couple years for CCW but for some reason I am feelin like I am gonna want to pack more firepower, because If I get into a gunfight outside my home, it is more than likely going to be against someone else with a gun.

armoredman
August 5, 2009, 05:15 AM
I carried a full size .40SW Witness steel frame gun in a Galco Hi Jak pancake rig under a t-shirt for years, worked just fine, no issues. I went to an alloy frame with the P01, and realized how MUCH lighter it is!

lwestatbus
August 5, 2009, 09:23 AM
I regularly carry a Kimber ProCarry 4" barrel 1911-style pistol. This has the full size grip but is just one inch shorter in the barrel than the full size and is a lighter alloy (and I have occassionally carried a full size steel frame 1911). I carry this in a MacDaniel style inside the waist holster with a thumb break over a cocked hammer (actually between the cocked hammer and the rear of the receiver/firing pin). I usually carry this on my strong side slightly to the rear of the 3:00 o'clock position with a slight forward cant. This works well while driving as well as seated or standing.

The 1911 is actually a fairly thin pistol. The Kimber Carry lines (three different combinations of grip and barrel length) are lighter than full steel models. I've had this pistol on for hours on end with only minor discomfort. I use a holster from Andrews Custom Leather which is just perfect. I choose the thumb break option as I am just inherently distrustful of a cocked and locked carry day in and day out.

If it isn't feasible to wear an outer shirt or jacket (I live in Florida) I'll carry a Walther PPKS in a pocket holster, also from Andrews.

5whiskey
August 5, 2009, 09:29 AM
I won't, because I'm lazy and a gun is there only to mitigate risk for me. A pocket rocket built in spain in the 50s mitigates enough risk for my taste. I do have a BDE compact that isn't really a compact... sometimes in the winter I will carry that. I just don't like designing my wardrobe around my carry piece.

With that said, people do it effectively all the time. I don't blame them for carrying full size, just not my personal preference.

Kyo
August 5, 2009, 10:03 AM
P345 at 4 oclock all the time unless its illegal such as school/public places. I carry in a simply rugged holster/belt as much as I can. Its comfy. I keep a spare mag in my back pocket

Mello2u
August 5, 2009, 10:22 AM
I've been carrying a Colt Delta Elite since they came, out over twenty years now. Carried at 3 o'clock.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/ColtDeltaElite1.jpg
I also carry a spare mag and flashlight.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb197/farwalker/P1010978.jpg

cracked91,
You used the word "firepower" in your post. This leads me to suspect that you have in your mind that a handgun has more likelihood of stopping a threat than it does have.
What would be your guess as to how long a human can continue to fight if shot through the heart with a .25 caliber bullet? with a .36 caliber bullet? with a .45 caliber bullet?
How long could a threat fight if the bullets do not encounter the heart, a major artery, major vein, or CNS?
No one really knows the answer of what an individual will do in the future. However, there are incidents of people that have fought or continued to be functional for 30 seconds when shot through the heart. 30 seconds in a gunfight is a very long time.

My point is that before you are involved in a gunfight you have to train to use cover, concealment, and movement to give you a better chance of survival. It is difficult to shoot accurately and fast. It is even more difficult to do so under the threat of losing your life. It becomes even more difficult to shoot well while moving. So plan on training and thinking about what you may have to do before you have to do it. You default to the level of your training in a situation of intense stress.

lear jet 45
August 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
I carry a sig p220 full sizes in a iwb hoster..but i am 6ft 5 and 275 lbs

BlueTrain
August 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
While I don't even own one at the moment, I like that someone actually pointed out that a 1911 is thin, at least relative to many modern pistols. But what do people consider to be a full size handgun? A S&W Model k/l frame with a 4" barrel, a Glock Model 19, a Walther P38, a Makarov PM?

I like to think I'm "between 1911s" at the moment.

mike45
August 5, 2009, 11:59 AM
Right now I'm carrying a 686+ with 3 inch barrel. Usually in a holster that holds it close to the body under an un-tucked shirt (I like hawaiian shirts).

I do remember back about 1982 when a new Dirty Harry movie came out. I went to see it with a friend and decided to wear my 6 inch S&W Mod. 29 in a shoulder holster under a sport coat. We saw the movie in the afternoon, met our dates for dinner and afterwards, spent the evening out and about. After about 14 hours of carrying that boat anchor around I was worn out!

dabigguns357
August 5, 2009, 12:15 PM
I carry a either 686 4 inch,glock 22 .40 cal every day.I don't know why but i feel very comfortable with my full sized guns.I carry both iwb and owb.

CWPinSC
August 5, 2009, 12:28 PM
I used to carry a Steyr M40-A1, then switched to a Steyr S40, then to a Springfield XD40SC. All are easy to carry. You need the right belt and right holster.

BigJimP
August 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
I carry a full sized 1911 5" barrel in .45 acp / in a Kramer rig - IWB forward FBI tilt ... and one extra mag. Mine happens to be a Wilson Combat CQB - but to me a 1911 is a perfect carry gun / relatively slim vs any of the double stack.

The only negative to me is the weight / but I live in the Northwest where its not that warm - so wearing a golf shirt untucked / or a windbreaker most of the year is no big deal. My hot weather carry - is a single stack Sig 239 in .40 with one extra mag ...

BigDaddy
August 5, 2009, 12:55 PM
I have been carrying a 1911 government all summer here in Austin. No problem in shorts and Tshirt with a Galco Summer Comfort.

--Dave

ZeSpectre
August 5, 2009, 12:59 PM
Carried a 4" barrel Smith 686 for a while. That was fun to conceal :D

Dwight55
August 5, 2009, 01:26 PM
All steel, 1911, full size, RIA, Cactus IWB holster, at least one spare mag, on dual thickness belt. One spare mag when going to the village, . . . 2 spares when going to the city, . . . 3 spare mags, mag loader, box of 100 rounds in the suitcase when I am traveling.

Yep, . . . firepower, . . . extra ammo, . . . and of course it is a hunk to carry around. Just never got over those military classes where it was stressed to take more than you ever think you will need, . . . that way when all hell goes South, . . . you don't get blown away with it.

May God bless,
Dwight

cracked91
August 5, 2009, 01:34 PM
You used the word "firepower" in your post. This leads me to suspect that you have in your mind that a handgun has more likelihood of stopping a threat than it does have.

Not exactly. I am more referring to capacity than caliber. I want to be able to carry the same pistol everywhere. Hunting, camping, jogging, walking, to the mall, wal mart, etc.

While I believe any cartridge with powder behind it is going to stop 90% of attackers(human), I feel that CC is prep for a very unlikely, yet very possible scenario. An unlikely but possible scenario can be anything. Everything from a stray dog to multiple armed robbers. The only threats I would feel comfortable only having a 7 shot .380 for would be Single human threats and smaller animal threats.

I am liking the Glock 20 for my future CC. 15 shots of 10mm auto seems like it could do as much as you could ask of any handgun. I know some will think I am just paranoid, I will refer to it as "Prepared" which I believe is the main goal behind CC.

Though I know everybody has there carry method, preferences, and specific needs. My Pops CCs a Bersa Thunder .380 and that works just fine for him:)

armsmaster270
August 5, 2009, 01:42 PM
Sig 226 24/7 I'm 5'11" 245#
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/armsmaster270/writings/DSCF1056.jpg

curt.45
August 5, 2009, 06:04 PM
Ruger P90 24/7 IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock, sometimes a spare mag.

I'm 6' 2" AND 260lbs heck I could carry a smart car and conceal it

SW1911CT
August 5, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'm 6' 2" AND 260lbs heck I could carry a smart car and conceal it

HAHAHA!!

5" 1911 all day everyday. It's only uncomfortable when I'm in my transam which has very tight seat bolsters. Not sure any other rig at 4 o'clock would help much.

45ACP39326
August 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS in .45ACP at 3 o'clock. I carry when ever I leave the house. I am 5'8" 180 # and have no trouble concealing.

wahsben
August 5, 2009, 06:33 PM
I regularly carry a Walther P99 and also carried a full sized S&W 1911 before.

CajunBass
August 5, 2009, 06:55 PM
I've never carried anything but a full sized handgun except in rare instances. 1911, Glock, XD, Smith & Wesson 19 & 39, Colt Official Police. All pretty much at 3:00.

I do have a couple of smaller guns I carry from time to time.

Archie
August 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
My preferred guns are either Commanders or S&W K frames.

One does have to wear real clothes, of course. This sort of thing doesn't go well with sweats or jogging shorts.

jrothWA
August 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
GM & COmmander , BHP, M39-2 & 4" revolvers, ISW, Bianchi's #3 or #6L

riggins_83
August 5, 2009, 10:41 PM
I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 (4" Barrel, full length grip, same as government model). Carry it via a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster. Really easy to conceal with a nice untucked button down shirt. Carry anywhere I legally can. For me the trick to carry this gun was a good duty belt- I use a Galco synthetic belt, nice and wide. Holds the pants up well!

BikerRN
August 6, 2009, 01:20 AM
Over the past four years I have carried the following guns as a "primary" off duty (with reloads):

Hi Power .40 S&W (current off duty gun)
5" 1911 .45 ACP
3" GP100 .357 Magnum
4" N-Frame S&W
Glock 19

My BUGS at various times have been:

J-Frame (current BUG for the past 4 years)
PM9 (Traded for the SP101)
SP101 (carried in conjunction with the J-Frame and the GP100)

That's my off duty carry. On Duty I carry what they issue me, as I have no say in the matter. Expirience has taught me that I want a gun accessable to either hand and that the bigger gun is more accurate in times of stress. It also lends a seriousness factor to the one that the weapon is being pointed at that a smaller, more concealable gun doesn't.

I carry a gun because today could be the day I have another armed encounter that could result in a gunfight. Why would I want to shortchange myself in the tool department?

Duty Size guns are not that hard to conceal if one takes proper care in selecting a good belt and holster. I tend to wear Cargo Shorts and Hawaiian Shirts nine months out of the year.

Biker

J.Netto
August 6, 2009, 07:39 AM
I've never carried a smaller gun geared toward concealed carry use. Except for a small frame revolver. And even then, it's used as a back up. I ALWAYS carry either a full size 1911 or standard size Glock.

My calibers of choice are - .357, 38 special, .45, 9mm, and .40.

IZZY
August 6, 2009, 09:39 AM
I USED to....

from a Italian CZ copy ( small of back no holster- not reccomended) to a S&W 4" .357 ( in holster, belly/ southern style, a real extension of your svwang
also not reccomended to to proximity of such equipment).

get a big shirt and wear it hanging out and all is possbile :D

doh_312
August 6, 2009, 11:15 AM
I carry a 5" tactical XD45. Tough to hide at times

QBall45
August 6, 2009, 12:24 PM
SA 1911 Champion 4" barrel full size grip frame. Carry in Milt Sparks SSII 2 spares on the other hip. Covered with a shirt. Carry all day every weekend. During the week its in my "go" bag on the floor next to me.
This is not a problem to carry and cover. Would be no issue if the barrel were 5".

tony pasley
August 6, 2009, 08:46 PM
I carry either a full size Colt Double Eagle or full size 1911a1 every day. I am 5'8" 160 lbs. never had a problem concealing.

wvshooter
August 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
The smallest thing I carry is a Kahr CW9. I don't carry it very often but it's what I resort to when I feel the need to be really discreet or just want something light. What I carry most of the time is one of the following:

CZ 75BD, or Smith Wessson 5906, or Sigma 40ve or Sigma 9ve. FWIW I have a Smith Wesson 4046 on the way that I think is going to get a lot of carry time. I go with full size because I feel safer with a full size handgun. Small handguns are for backups.

Twisted_Minded
August 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
I carry only 1911 latley either gold cup 5" or SW1911PD 4'1/4. for over 25 years. But I just started looking at a CZ , looking for the right one.
5'9" 175 FL

orionengnr
August 6, 2009, 11:03 PM
Up until a year ago:
PM9/pocket carry for nine months, Kahr P45/IWB three months ("winter").

As of last November:
S&W 4" N-frame through the "winter", Kahr P45 IWB during the remainder of the year.

Perhaps a year from now I will be able to say "1911 for 9 months, N frame for winter ops".

Note: I define "winter" by the ability to wear a sweatshirt or heavier cover garment. Having grown up in New England, it is stretching the definition...but it's been 40+ years, and I like Texas so much better :)

Stats: 5'9", 145 lbs, 52 y.o.

biohazurd
August 8, 2009, 01:16 PM
Though i no longer carry a full sized 1911 i did carry one for quite a few years, and i had no issues at all. Since then ive migrated to the Colt Combat commander. Why I really dont know i just like the weight and feel of it better? Also carried a glock 17 for a while when i first got my CCL.

m&p45acp10+1
August 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
I carry an M&P45 fullsized. Before that I carried a Bersa Thunder 45 4 inch. Before that a full sized Colt 1911 custom. All IWB. I swithched from the Colt to the Bersa because the work I was doing I wanted something that was easier to conceal. After leaving that job I picked up the M&P and it is now my EDC. It is all that I carry. I am not a real thick person. I am 6 ft 1 in 180# I have no problems concealing it at 9 o'clock IWB with at Desantis cozy partner that I had customized slightly. (Had it made to drop the gun about an inch and half lower in my waistband). I do not have to wear extemely long or heavy shirts to conceal it.

Dannyl
August 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
HI,
I carry a S&W 4006 , IWB holster at 5 O'clock.

Brgds,
Danny

VHinch
August 8, 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm 6'1, 200 lbs and carry the following all day everyday.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/vhinch/EDC.jpg

At work it's jeans and an untucked polo. Not at work it's either that or cargo shorts and a polo or a t shirt, in which case the j frame moves to my weak side pocket and everything else remains unchanged.

deercop
August 9, 2009, 01:08 AM
Browning Hi Power, OWB in Garrity Enforcer, underneath an untucked shirt.

dstyle47
August 9, 2009, 01:21 AM
a 5incher (colt government series 70) IWB holster i bought from a forum member here, I carry it quite often (though not always). I, like most others it seems, carry at 3:00.

Avenger
August 9, 2009, 08:40 PM
Springfield XD .45 Tactical in a Comp-tac MTAC holster. I've never had any problems with it, the only person that ever twigged (well, that I know of) was the police officer that I run into at the corner store every morning before either of us goes to work.

teeroux
August 9, 2009, 09:29 PM
I carry a xd-45 in a crossbreed supertuck at 2:30 with cargo or carpenter jeans and any shirt that I own.

I also carry my 1911 in a safariland padle holster also 2:30 with a white-t and button up shirt left open(kinda like wearing a jacket but in the LA heat) also with cargo or carpenter jeans.

mike21603
August 10, 2009, 09:38 AM
i have been carrying my xdm9 since january this year. 20rds of 9mm.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/mike21603/100_1021-1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/mike21603/100_1020.jpg

OuTcAsT
August 10, 2009, 02:27 PM
I carry a Springfield Mil-Spec, OWB , covers nicely under a t-shirt or polo.

Superhouse 15
August 10, 2009, 03:55 PM
My most common CCWs are a full sized 1911 in a Brommeland IWB, a Glock 19 or a P7M8 in FIST IWBs, and occasionally a S&W 610 or 15 or 66 in FIST OWB. Mostly I carry the revolvers open at the gunshop and only casually conceal them going to or from. Regardless of my primary, my BUG is a Kel Tec P32 in a no-name wallet holster weak-side back pocket. I carry a spare magazine or a speedloader / moonclips pouch for the primary, hardly ever a spare for the BUG. Been carrying since about 1993.

#18indycolts
August 10, 2009, 04:01 PM
I do sometimes, with multiple handguns I'm able to switch my carry. I do carry my walther p99 mostly, iwb holster.

wm.mcintosh
August 12, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have carried full size weapons since leaving the military and obtaining a carry permit. In my classes I tend to lead the weapon carrier towards the weapon that is correct in size for their hand. Being a rather large man, compacts and especially sub-compacts become toys in my hands. I routinely carry a full size Kimber Custom II, prior to that a full size Springfield. I also have a Glock Model 22 that I will carry should the situation dictate that I have a maximum amount of ammo handy. You should really refer to your local laws concerning weapon carry - some say that even a "noticeable outline" under your outer garment is illegal - and carry the weapon you are comfortable with and won't get you in trouble with local law enforcement.

JustinL
August 13, 2009, 10:53 AM
I carry a full size 1911. Homemade Crossbreed-style holster at about 3:00, 22-ish degree cant. Works pretty well. The only time the butt sticks out is if I'm sitting and lean forward pretty far. Besides that, it doesn't print. I usually wear a t-shirt with a thin buttoned shirt over it. I can usually get away with just a t-shirt but it doesn't hide as well when sitting. I'm 5'11" and 190 pounds.

If in a situation where I can't conceal it this way I'll Mexican carry my .38 snub nose but I prefer my 1911.

-Justin

Renfield
August 13, 2009, 11:13 AM
I carry a full size handgun all day everyday

DiscoRacing
August 13, 2009, 11:38 AM
i carry two .40S&W.... for the most part...everyday.. one is 4006 and one 4046...both stainless.

Madcap_Magician
August 13, 2009, 03:59 PM
.40 S&W M&P, full-size. It's more of a 'bulge carry' as it were, but open carry is legal in Minnesota for permit holders.

BigPoppa
August 14, 2009, 12:53 AM
Full Size S&W M&P(357Sig) Inside the Waist Band in an Uncle Mike's holster. Does not show at all although I am 6'5" 285lbs. so that helps a little:)

hammerg26
August 14, 2009, 08:49 AM
I carry a Kimber TLE II every day. Before that I carried a S&W Model 19 (4") every day... (there was a period with a Glock 26 in between)...

Hammer

Satanic Toaster
August 14, 2009, 11:26 PM
When I carry it is one of two full size. The first being a Ruger Security Six 4" in an old Bucheimer Federal Man holster at 9 O'Clock. The other is a Beretta Model 96 in a nylon Safariland at 7 O'Clock. Had a shoulder rig for the Ruger but didn't care for it much. At 6'3" and 300lbs. I can conceal whatever I want. :D

Renfield
August 14, 2009, 11:49 PM
I carry a full size Beretta 92FS everyday in a Galco Royal Guard or MOB holster. It's not that big of a challenge even this time of year in Mobile, Alabama

dev_null
August 14, 2009, 11:50 PM
- Kimber Custom Classic
- S&W 1006

I may have worn the CZ-52 a couple of days as well, can't recall for sure.

javabum
August 15, 2009, 12:06 AM
I carry a Ruger p89 in a galco cop 3 slot.its not a stretch as im 6'1 210lb.
on occasion i carry a glock 27.in the near future(fingers crossed)i'll have a 1911.

denfoote
August 15, 2009, 12:08 AM
I have small hands.

I pocket carry a Glock 30SF

45Gunner
August 16, 2009, 01:55 AM
H & K .40 S&W LEM (13+1) in a Blackhawk Retention Holster on the strong side.

tshadow6
August 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
The first handgun I carry concealed was my BHP. With the right holster and wardrobe, one can conceal any handgun. I wore an IWB holster, shoulder holster with baggy shirts, etc...
One must learn to dress for concealment, not fashion.

Nastrowie!
August 17, 2009, 07:42 AM
I bought my XDm for fun at the range and didn't think I would carry it with the huge grip as I'm 6'2 180. I actually carry it often around the house, out running the dogs in the woods and sometimes out in colder weather. It conceals OK with the right gear and watching your movement. I'm very involved with family, both my siblings have kids as well as the wife's family, I constantly have several youngsters climbing on me or getting me to play whatever game they're hot on. Full size handguns, at least for my body, only conceal with normal and minimal movement. I don't feel all that much is sacrificed with my little wheelie, I know it will always go bang and have fired it so much it's an extension of myself. I think its all personal preference, where you live, and what and who you're involved with that dictate carry preference.