PDA

View Full Version : Remington 770 Bolt

MxMike
August 1, 2009, 10:29 AM
I was looking for an inexpensive rifle so I bought a remington 770 chambered in .270. I like the gun plenty so far, I am going out to shoot it today. The bolt feels very stiff. How should I go about getting the bolt to move more smoothly? I oiled it and it still feels "scratchy," if you will. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

stonesfan08
August 1, 2009, 02:19 PM
i am not for sure you may have over oiled it. oil collects dust, this is bad on a gun. it would be like metal shaving agains the cylinder wall in your car it will leave small rutts you would lose compression. in your bolt you would get a sand paper feeling not the smooth action you except form remington. i found this to be the problem on a hand me down gun from grandpa he oiled after every use way to much

Old Grump
August 1, 2009, 04:22 PM
Be patient and keep shooting, it should get smoother with wear if there is nothing wrong with it like any scratches or burrs on the bolt.

Locoweed
August 3, 2009, 09:08 AM
I've had a few sticky and/or rough bolts and find that rubbing in a coat of Tetra gun grease helps a lot. And I do mean rubbing it in, not just gooped over the bolt. Rub it until it looks burnished.