PDA

View Full Version : Re-Barreling an M1 Garand

cgbills
July 28, 2009, 10:00 PM
First does anyone know where to buy new 30-06 barrel for my Garand? I think mine is pretty much shot. Or maybe a .308? Also does anyone have an idea of total cost to do this in 30-06 (barrel cost and gun smithing)? What about .308? Is there anything else special that has to be done to re-barrel in .308? Thanks for the help

Flatbush Harry
July 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
Barrels can be had from CMP (www.odcmp.com). Fulton Armory (http://www.fulton-armory.com/) and Tim Shufflin (http://www.shuffsparkerizing.com/About_Shuffs_Parkerizing.html) can do installs and other refinishing and can supply barrels and parts as well.

Other suppliers can also provide these services...google M1 Garand rifle barrels.

Cheers,

FH

dmazur
July 29, 2009, 12:26 AM
What about .308? Is there anything else special that has to be done to re-barrel in .308?

"The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide" discusses .308 Garands in Appendix C.

A commercial .308 Winchester barrel should be short-chambered and ready for a gunsmith to install on your receiver. If it is made correctly, it should have a 0.089" gas port instead of the slightly smaller 0.079" gas port in .30-06 barrels.

From the Guide:

When you install your .308 barrel, install a .308/7.62 NATO magazine well block. This will eliminate the embarrasment, inconvenience and danger of loading your .308 Garand with .30-06 ammunition. Use only properly designed steel blocks.

IMO, everybody should have a copy of this book as a reference... :)

cgbills
July 29, 2009, 07:11 AM
Hmm I am debating between the nation match and the chrome lined barrels from fulton. I don't think I will be shooting in any matches, so I think I may go for the chrome lined for durability. Also do you guys think if I re-chambered it in .308 that it would loose a lot its collectability? The two reasons why I have thought about doing .308 is so I can use the same ammo in my Garand as I do my M1a and so I don't have to worry about finding good mil-surplus ammo loaded to the right pressures so as to not destroy my Garand. With that being said, what are the upgrades you need to do to the Garand so you can shoot modern .30-06 loads?

Wleoff
July 29, 2009, 07:52 AM
Contact Tim Shufflin. He converted a Garand to .308 for me and it shoots great. Tim also does great parkerizing if your Garand needs to be refinished. Also fast service.

Dood_22
July 29, 2009, 08:37 AM
do you guys think if I re-chambered it in .308 that it would loose a lot its collectability?

No, just rebarreling it will ruin any collectability it had. ;)

You might save your old barrel to include with it if you sell it. Barrels are a reversible modification, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

what are the upgrades you need to do to the Garand so you can shoot modern .30-06 loads?

If you want to shoot factory ammo you might want to get a McCann vented gas plug.

nbkky71
July 29, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'd guess around $250-$300 for installation, including the price of the barrel. That's a guesstimate for a .30-06 Criterion barrel. If you choose a higher-end barrel, the cost will rise. There's nothing wrong with rebarreling to .308, except the cost of the ammo nowadays.

What makes you think that yours is shot-out? If you're having accuracy issues there might be other root causes. Any idea what are the throat/muzzle measure?

cgbills
July 29, 2009, 09:54 AM
Well what happened was is a friend of mine borrowed it and had it for about a week and when I got it back the inside of the barrel was all rusted. I don't know if it was because he was shooting corrosive ammo or because, as he said, it was very humid that day and moisture got in there, sat in there when in a foam case and rusted it. Needless to say it is pitted and he is helping pay for this. I think the throat was a 1 or 2. Also in regards to the collectability thing, it is reparkerized and it is not an all parts and numbers matching gun anyway so... but I didn't know if doing it in .308 would drop its value.

nbkky71
July 29, 2009, 10:02 AM
Ahhh... understood.

I only asked because I've heard of shooters complaining their barrel was "shot out" and it turned out being another issue, like a mangled crown.

With a little JB Bore Paste & some effort, you might be able to weave a little magic on your old barrel. You never know how well it will clean up! You might even be able to re-sell it & re-coup some of the costs.

azredhawk44
July 29, 2009, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your rusted barrel!

If that's likely to happen in your environment in the future, you might consider a chrome lined barrel.

dmazur
July 29, 2009, 02:22 PM
so I can use the same ammo in my Garand as I do my M1a and so I don't have to worry about finding good mil-surplus ammo loaded to the right pressures so as to not destroy my Garand.

My understanding is that the op-rod remains the same somewhat fragile thing that it was for .30-06, so ammo concerns remain.

The more sophisticated gas system of the M14/M1A isn't present in a .308 Garand.

The best thing to do, IMO, is to install an adjustable gas cylinder lock screw ("gas plug") such as a Schuster or McCann, whether it is on a .30-06 or .308 Garand. Then you can adjust the gas system to the ammo you are using, and eliminate receiver heel battering, too.