PDA

View Full Version : New Hog Doggin' Video...

hogdogs
July 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
A fella that runs hog dogs took part in making a pretty good vid. If you don't agree with using dogs for legal hunting methods... don't watch the vid.
This was filmed end of winter so the water is cold and the action is hot.
The first hog in the video killed one of them white Dogo Argentina dogs. they run 90-130 pounds. The guy I am familiar with is the owner of them and is the ladogos mentioned in the opening credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIc1bMnaDM0
Brent

GeauxTide
July 28, 2009, 12:26 PM
Now that's a much better use for Pit Bulls. Wonder how they do with 200# hogs?

Lavid2002
July 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
Just killin a hog man

hogdogs
July 28, 2009, 12:33 PM
The first hog was well over 250...
what I meant was them white dogs run 90-130. Them white dogs ain't pits but a 50 pound pit might look like a furry ear ring but rarely get slung off...
A good smart catch dog of any size can stop the hog from leaving or slow him down to a slow walk so we can get the hog by the back legs.
Brent

Pahoo
July 28, 2009, 01:47 PM
I now have a new appreciation for big Hogs, big Dogs and big knives not to mention the big guys behind them. Have to say that I use to be critical of folks driving deer with dogs till I hunted Alabama and watched it all come together. Nice work !!! :)

Be Safe !!!

cornbush
July 28, 2009, 05:36 PM
Brent I really envy you hogdoggers, we don't have any hogs around here. I want the hogs, just not the damage they cause to crops. That looks like an absolute riot. Wish my brother was still at Eglin, so I could go for a hog hunt, I mean visit.

hogdogs
July 28, 2009, 05:49 PM
well if you could swing it, yer welcome to come hunt with us... To make it more viable, Maybe you could buy a short term non-res hunting license and bag a few deer 'tween hog hunts. Make you a 10 day trip... Winter weather ain't cold everyday so the family (if you got one) could enjoy the white sandy beaches...:D
Brent

Telgriff
July 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
Holy hannah... first time I've seen a hog put down with a knife :eek:

hogdogs
July 28, 2009, 06:15 PM
Tel, Them guys are barbarians... We prefer to tie them up and drag 'em out alive in my neck of the woods:eek::D
Brent

cornbush
July 28, 2009, 07:03 PM
If I can get some of the wifes medical bills paid off I just might do that.:D

jon_in_wv
July 28, 2009, 07:15 PM
What the heck does this have to do with firearms?

hogdogs
July 28, 2009, 07:24 PM
THE HUNT If it flies, lopes or charges, you'll find it here. Feel free to post your hunting related topics and questions.
General Discussion Forum (51 Viewing)
A place for general discussion and Member hob-nobbing. Posts must be Firearms related.
Sorry Jon (not really) but you are wrong about that... Notice a difference?
Archery ain't firearms but you will see arrow flingers posting dead deer in a few months. This is the hunt section and hog doggin is hunting as much or more as sittin' in a tree wearing $1,500 worth of clothes and stink pee waiting for a deer to walk under your stand.
This ain't my first hog hunting thread.
Brent

flyguyskt
July 28, 2009, 08:12 PM
hunting is hunting...dont matter how you KILL the animal so long as the kill is quick i say use your prefered weapon.

Ian0351
July 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
Looks fun... but around here we ain't got no hogs! Gotta stick to still hunting I guess, minus the $1500 super-camo and the pee-in-a-bottle... I knows how to stink for free!

jon_in_wv
July 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
Ok. Smart guy. Since you like quotes.

From the forum rules:

1) All Topics and Posts must be related to firearms, accessories or civil liberties issues.

But I'm sure those big words are hard for you to wrap your mind around. So I'll forgive you.

hogdogs
July 29, 2009, 07:21 PM
Where in the "Hunt" section did you scarf that quote?
I was comparing two sections? That pluck doesn't seem related to the "hunt" section.
Brent

pns112500
July 29, 2009, 07:35 PM
Did I count 9 guys, 3 Pit Bulls, A couple of some kind of tracking dogs, 3 or 4 4 wheelers. Not alot of sport in that is there? Im in Louisiana, I know we've got a hog problem, But youre not doing hunters any favors posting that [sic] (BTW, I dont consider that or you a hunter). The first hog you let those [sic] pitts chew on the hog. Ive got 5 bird dogs (Pointers) so Im not a stranger to the outdoors, Hunting, Dogs and the rest of the good stuff. This is the kind of [sic] the antis love to get a hold of to try to screw the good guys out of doing something they love.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
July 29, 2009, 08:18 PM
Loved the video and honestly can't believe the crap you're getting here about it. Folks, the antis don't like that you shoot deer at 400 yards with a .300 Win Mag the teeniest bit more than they like what hogdogs and friends are doing in that video. They don't care if you're killing a cartoonized Bambi or an invasive species that's threatening the very critters they claim to want to protect. In short, they're friggin' nuts and the best ammo they're going to get here is that we can't even stick together in something that we all enjoy being a part of.

Ian0351
July 29, 2009, 08:38 PM
+1 quickdraw...
That most certainly is hunting, just like using a pack of dogs to find and eliminate problem cougars or save trees from black bears. Humans have been using canine assistance to track down and tarry elusive predators since shortly after the dawn of man.

Ian0351
July 29, 2009, 08:40 PM
pns112500: I think you need to read the terms of service for this forum... your loosely masked profanity does very little for your argument, and cheapens an otherwise civil debate.

pns112500
July 29, 2009, 09:06 PM
I dont feel my "loosely masked profanity" is any worse than the video that shows an animal being brutally killed by Pitt bulls. It worsens a bad rap for the dogs, And makes legitimate hunters look like drunken hillbillies that kill everything that moves. I just dont agree with the video being posted. That been said, Ill watch my potty mouth;)

NOTE from Tuttle8: Hunting videos, when closely monitored is allowed; Skirting the language filter is NOT allowed. So, yes, it is worse.

hogdogs
July 29, 2009, 09:14 PM
I will look again butI never seen a pit!
Dogo Argentina is a hoggin breed...
Brent

cornbush
July 29, 2009, 09:35 PM
Everyone has their own way to hunt, I see nothing wrong with this one. If you don't like it, don't do it. Some people think baiting is as low as you can get, I don't, but no matter what it is someone isn't going to like it. You can't win 'em all. As far as the anti's go, fight for your rights, fight hard and fight honorably, apathy will kill hunting long before an opinion on someone's hunting method.

pns112500
July 29, 2009, 09:35 PM
Im not up on my hog gathering. They looked like pitts to me.

Edward429451
July 29, 2009, 09:39 PM
That was incredible vid! Jump on a pig with a knife with the dogs on it? Whoa, my hats off to those guys!

You naysayer sissies see all the food on that platter?! I guess you'd let the fam go hungry instead of hunt like that? Dam. Foods food and huntins huntin. Some use guns, some bows and some knives & dogs!

Awesome:cool:

pns112500
July 29, 2009, 09:46 PM
Can you tell the difference between the two by lookin? Pitts look a little shorter. But the dogs in your vid are short.

citizenkane
July 30, 2009, 01:36 AM
That is some no-kiddin in your face hunting! Looks like a much bigger rush of adrenaline than sitting up in a tree stand. I can't help but wonder though if posting a vid of doggin does more harm than good. I personally have no problem with using trained dogs with the protective collars/suits. The concern is not so much the anti's who would want to get rid of the sport after watching the vid (they'd want to get rid of hunting in any form), it's the folks on the fence who would look at it and see it as a bunch of guys laughing and joking as another one sticks the pig in the chest/neck while it's surrounded by some mean looking dogs. They prolly wouldn't see it as any better than dogfighting or cockfighting. They wouldn't know all the training, planning and preparation that go into making a hunt work. The folks who were once without an opinion could be whipped up by the PETA crowd and pass a law/referendum/etc banning the use of dogs in hunting or banning forms of hunting that do not use firearms or archery equippment. That would probably include trappers as well.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we need to be very careful with the image of hunting. People don't seem to go by facts, reason or sense as much as by what they see and percieve. While I may not feel comfortable taking a pig like that now, I would hope that the option would still be there in the future to give it a shot. That may not happen if there are a lot of vids out there that the anti's can use as scenes of "cruelty to animals" Doesn't matter that these pigs are a menace and degrade the environment that the PETA folks claim to want to save. Doesn't matter that a well placed slash or stab will bleed out a pig quickly. It will be the image Wilbur from Charlotte's Web or Babe lying in a pool of blood surrounded by a pack of dogs and chuckling men that they will see as they go to vote a part of hunters rights away.

Don't take this as a criticism of what y'all are doing, but it would probably be better for the sport to not have the bloody last moments on film in wide distribution. Let people learn about the sport on the hunters terms and not what PETA spins to them. Just my $.02.

hogdogs
July 30, 2009, 03:36 AM
citizenkane,
We often have debated keeping our sport hidden from the public. That is a tuff decision. If we hide it, then when anyone a n t i sees us in action it is "in their face." They think it is some illegal redneck hillbilly fringe sport.

The second problem is I have to got before Home owners associations to convince homeowners that this is the most effective way to approach the hog issue that is tearing up their neighborhood. Most have never heard or seen of this and those that have, have usually seen "hog catch competitions" vids shown by the a n t i folks.

We do hunt like this for several reasons with fun not being the bottom reason. But with live catch and tie we can feed them good feed and fatten 'em up for a better result in the freezer.

As for pits, we use them among other bulldog breeds for catch dog. We need the absolute determination they provide so we can safely get in to handle a wild hog. If we know we have a little "squealer" bayed up, we won't even turn the bulldog loose. Just go in there and grab the little bugger our self.
I did re-watch the vid and yes some of the dogs are pit or pit/bulldog cross catch dogs. No dogs have the high likelihood of being a resolute catchdog like the bully breeds. Pits have the highest success rate out of all of them.

It is a rush on so many levels, I just can't explain it well enuff.
As for the bloody last moments... It is no different than a world wide TV show depicting the last moments of a 10 point buck on camera under a deer stand getting shot in the chest to run off frame and die. Hunters show jubilation as they sit on or behind the deer waving his head in every direction for the camera.

Brent

Skan21
July 30, 2009, 05:22 AM
Brent probably grew up learning to hunt like this. Don't knock his way because it isn't yours. It doesn't really seem that inhumane. 'Cause unless you perfected an infallible method for getting only headshots while hunting, all game animals end up suffering. I've seen very few animals drop stone dead after a shot. Hogs are a complete nuisance, but they make up for it by being delicious. That's actually the only reason I miss Georgia! Send me some pig!

citizenkane
July 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
Skan21
I'm not knocking the sport itself at all. I thought that I had mentioned a couple times in my last post that I'm not against it. I see it as much more humane than all those times animals get gutshot with a high power rifle because some guy doesn't go out and spend the time for basic marksmanship practice before hunting season.

Brent
The only difference between the vid and hunting shows is the zoom. On most of the shows I've seen the camera is shot from mid to long range and generally not too much blood is seen. Animal gets shot and either crumples or runs out of the picture. The vid you posted, all the action was real close and bloody. But from that you can tell that the guys went in and finished the pig off quickly with some well placed pokes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating or having fun in the hunt. All I'm concerned about really is the public perception and possible backlash against hunting as a whole. The way I see it doggin' is to hunting what noodlin' (something I definitely want to try) is to fishing. Different ways to get the same thing accomplished. The only thing holding me back from hunting like that I would worry about not getting the knife in right the first time and causing excess suffering. Other than that, it looks like a blast.

Ian0351
July 30, 2009, 01:08 PM
Man has been hunting with dogs and knives for thousands of years. While there does appear to be a recreational element here, these guys are putting meat on the table and protecting private property. Also, I am reasonably sure that there are licenses and permits that have to be submitted for and paid, pricey I would imagine (if Florida's hunting fees are anything like the outrageous cost of tags here), from the state government. If anything, I think this is fairer to the hog as it gives it a chance to escape on its wits and it's speed, and the man harvesting it has to get in there and get dirty with a knife, risking injury should a dog lose hold or the hog break free.

Keep HogDoggin' Florida!

hogdogs
July 30, 2009, 02:20 PM
Actually, No license is required to hunt feral livestock (hogs) on private property given you have permission from the owner. But the expense is considerable. Unlike a gun (costs similar to dogs ranging from $150 to $5,000), when not in use they still gotta be fed, wormed, shots etc. We then carry a $600 tracking system with collars costing $125 each. The cut collar is $40-60 and the vest is $60-140 depending on number of layers and kevlar or not.
Leads are 20 bucks each... so yes the whole concept is not free.

What sets us apart is unless you can spend all day, everyday on the place armed, you are hard pressed to put the same size dent in the big breeder population that dogs do. You can hunt hog ridden swamps everyday and never see a single hog, let alone get a shot off.

It is funny how fast some bunny huggers will concede when their yard suffers thousands in damages in one night.:eek: Being cheered on by dozens of residents as you drag a sure nuff HAWG out of the water hazard on the 7th hole of a golf course makes a man proud of his dogs and what he is doing! My rattlin ol' diesel pick up parked at the gates to a "gated community" of homes starting at 1.5 million at 3am as I enter to run the dogs in their yards unannounced makes me proud to be the ol' local redneck:D
Brent

Cope's Dist
July 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for posting that video. I really enjoyed it. I have been hunting quite a few years and I have never seen a hog (I live in Northern Ohio and we don't have them up here) I think it looks like a great time. Looks like it would rank right up there with Coon Hunting for those of us who enjoy that. :D

hogdogs
July 30, 2009, 04:03 PM
Cope's, There is a growing population somewhere from the middle to southward area of Ohio...:D Got a buddy with dogs in Indy that goes to Ohio to hunt:eek:
Brent

shortwave
July 30, 2009, 06:11 PM
Cope`s, come on down here around McArther,Ohio. There`s a few pigs here. Hogdogs is right. Although hogs aren`t near as abundant here as down south, they`ve been spotted from Licking,Ross and Fairfield counties to West Virginia, Kentucky lines.

pns112500
July 30, 2009, 07:35 PM
"Man has been hunting with dogs and knives for thousands of years. While there does appear to be a recreational element here, these guys are putting meat on the table and protecting private property. Also, I am reasonably sure that there are licenses and permits that have to be submitted for and paid, pricey I would imagine (if Florida's hunting fees are anything like the outrageous cost of tags here), from the state government. If anything, I think this is fairer to the hog as it gives it a chance to escape on its wits and it's speed, and the man harvesting it has to get in there and get dirty with a knife, risking injury should a dog lose hold or the hog break free.

Keep HogDoggin' Florida! "

Man has been doing alot of things for thousands of years.

I really dont understand how yall, You guys up north, Can possibly think that video wouldnt harm the sport of hunters. Its brutal, And should be kept on the down low. Not everyone hunts. Not everyone shoots. Hell, Some people wont even defend themselves. These people are called many names by us, But one name you have to remember that they also are called by is voter. These people have the same say in hunting and shooting sports as we do. And posting vids to showoff is El Stupido. Dont hate the player.......

ELMOUSMC
July 30, 2009, 11:48 PM
That video shows MEN hunting with aid of the only animal to choose man over their own kind.What is on that video IS hunting in its purest form no hiding,no sitting in a tree,no secret scent just plain old in your face man vs beast Hunting.If and when the time comes that we again have to forage for our food I hope that there are a few guys around like that to share the bounty of Gods good earth with the rest of us that are either to old to feeble or to afraid to feed our selves.Thanks Hogdog for the vid ELMOUSMC

Hogdog you sent me some pictures of the Dogo Argentinas a few months back and a couple of weeks ago I got to meet 1 up in Minn. the guy uses it for bear frendly as a pup but all business on the job

Gunforall
July 30, 2009, 11:49 PM
Good hunt, but your dogs need more training. Seriously though it is amazing how well the dawgs run, impessive to say the least.

Ian0351
July 31, 2009, 02:12 AM
Thank you Elmo, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

OohRah!

hogdogs
July 31, 2009, 04:59 AM
Its brutal, And should be kept on the down low.
All forms of hunting are brutal by design! Heck so is self defense!:mad: At least we never miss. And I hope the hogs never quit being brutal it wouldn't be as much of a rush if we didn't have to worry about our quarry fighting back!:D
Brent

Cope's Dist
July 31, 2009, 08:55 AM
shortwave, and hogdogs
Wow, McArthur...My dad used to go there deer hunting. I drive down to Ripley every other weekend (SW OHIO) and ride my quad and camp and shoot the AK's (and Others) and then when all the serious stuff is over... we have a cookout and a cold one or two :rolleyes: Looks like McArthur is actually a closer drive than Ripley. I hear there is a possibility of hogs on the property where I camp but luckily, I haven't ran into one yet. :o My friend always recommends I carry my 9mm in case I run into one though. Thanks for the input, I may have to find out more on this. I Love hunting and this looks a whole lotta fun!

wyobohunter
August 1, 2009, 01:35 AM
I started quoting the "Oh dear you shouldn't post that!" and "That's so bruuutal" posts to make a counterpoint but there were too many to bother with; shamefull...
To all of you who can't stomach the thought of a little critter getting hurt; join PETA and vote with them, we don't need crybabies and turncoats amongst our ranks. I mean really, ever visit a slaughterhouse? If you think hogdoggin is brutal you should see killing on a commercial level. Until you turn vegetarian and join the animalnazi crowd you are no more than a silly hypocrite.

Hogdogs, Did I mentioned that my wife is from Florida and her family still lives there? There is a real chance that I may hit you up to participate in some of that brutality, someday, until then keep them cool videos comin.

hogdogs
August 1, 2009, 01:50 AM
Sho nuff, Wyo...
To be clear, I am not involved in vids and you won't likely see pics of my hunts "in the woods" as I have developed a superstition/OCD regarding cameras. Nuttin' to do with the "brutality"... Just seemed when me and junior carried a camera in our back pack... NO CAUGHTHOG! But if we forgot it at home or in the truck cab, we got on swine. so now we don't even grab the digi...
I got time for pics in the yard. And with that I present my all time single most favorite hoggin' pic... AGAIN!!!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/Picture052.jpg
Junior and another 18 year old we can call "C"... Both are sober and could have driven off to do meth, coke or drink booze yet they grabbed dogs and went out for a run. 2 kids, 2 dogs and many hours later you see the result... GRINS, HAPPY DOGS and a very much alive, very unhappy tied hog with flash bulb glare in their eyes in the whee morning hours!:D
Brent

Ian0351
August 1, 2009, 02:37 AM
Like Elmo said, when the chips are down and the supermarkets are unable to put meat on the table, us 'barbarians' will be in short supply and high demand. I will acknowledge that I am but a novice hunter (at present my ambition far exceeds my ability:D) but I plan to learn the skills necessary to feed my family should I have to. Considering that my folks live in Florida and my little lady is from Florida, hog may be on the menu before too long... but I'd want to take it alive like Brent, I do loves me good wrassle!

pns112500
August 1, 2009, 09:33 PM
I know this type of stuff happens. Should it be videoed (sp) for ALL to see? Do you think its only the dozen or so people that have posted in this thread that are reading this? Do you, Or anyone condoning this video even care? Do you think that maybe, Just maybe, a person that might be thinking of taking up the sport of hunting for the first time, Would be turned off and disgusted by the vid? I heard somewhere, I think here in Louisiana, That the number of hunting licenses has been decreasing. We sure dont need that now do we? Not here, Not in Florida, And not where you live either.

hogdogs
August 1, 2009, 09:53 PM
number of hunting licenses has been decreasing
First off... They been decreasing steadily for more years than you tube existed!
Secondly... maybe they are decreasing in florida cuz folks watch these vids, want to try it and find out no permitting is required?
They are decreasing because more and more folks are giving up the guns and a large number are buckling to the wiminz in their life that think steaks grow on the protein tree behing the stores.
Many are just too lazy to put forth the effort from scouting to freezer to have a prime quality piece of meat.
Most of the hog doggers also hunt for deer, turkey etc. so we cover the loss of license sales by bringing more hunters aboard the hog doggin' wagon!
Brent

hogdogs
August 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
Us barbarians??????
I think he refers to all of us hunters of game for sport or food. All forms of hunting are barbaric pure and simple. You are killing an animal without concern for their suffering when you shoot a bullet or rifle at them. You have no guarantee that they will die a fast death... NONE WHATSOEVER! At least we intentionally and with absolute guarantee, provide the fastest death possible short of a CNS bullet or knife strike (to pith) when we stick a hog with a knife...
So you haven't watched many outdoor hunting shows? Tred Barta stabbed a hog with a knife on worldwide tv! Ted nugent has shown gallons of blood over his carreer!
Brent

wyobohunter
August 2, 2009, 01:07 AM
Why don't you quit being a thread hijacker? If you know what the words "hogdoggin" and "video" mean you will now know what to steer clear of if hunting videos disturb you.

I can't speak for all but I just betcha that most of us don't care about what you define as a "moral" way to hunt. Don't bore them with pointless ramblings.

Ian0351
August 2, 2009, 12:13 PM
PNS: Maybe you should review the Terms of Service for membership on this board... I can see you are new here so maybe you don't know, personal attacks are not acceptable. Feel free to speak your mind; but leave the name calling off the table, okay buddy?

shortwave
August 2, 2009, 01:02 PM
pns112500, gotta ask you something. Being from Louisianna, do you fish?? When referring to cruelty of animals I don`t think there`s a more violent sport than fishing. Yet we show it on t.v. everyday. Its accepted cause its been done for years. Would it be less barbaric if hogdoggers were to put hooks in bait and catch hogs as in fishing? I`m an avid hunter/fisherman so I don`t throw rocks at someones technique`s just cause I don`t/do agree with them. Dynamiting for fish is a more humane way of fishing but its illegal. Seems as though if hogdogging was so bad it would be illegal today. What does bother me is the fact that there`s not more show`s showing the processing of the animals harvested to let people know the work starts when you harvest the animal. Why! IMO, cause we`ve become a society that does`nt want to accept reality, rather than to hide it. The 'Northerner' comment was un-called for as was the comment about the fireman that hung his dogs and shot them. Florida`s south last I checked and I know the psychopath fireman that hung his dogs and used them for target practice. He should have gotten at least a jail sentence equal to the sentence given to the pro football player convicted of fighting dogs. I think your thoughts are sincere and hope your just as passionate/active in your state when it comes to illegal hunting methods such as poaching. Hogdogging is legal.

hogdogs
August 2, 2009, 06:03 PM
I also want you to know that I support your rights to do what it is we do here.
And that is all I can ask I reckon!
BTW, I have had and will continue to offer a free of charge invitation to try this with us! I don't expect everyone to get hooked... In fact I had a fellow Mormon guy, SF sodier, multiple sand box deployments guy that went (after a hurricane, creeks still swollen) That loved it but conceded the swamps, spiders and snakes were a deterrent from trying it to often. I have taken many and a few more than once. The kids are invited but on night hunts I prefer over 12 for fear of losing a kid behind us... I have a New Zealand buddy who has had his kids in the woods in far more severe terrain since young. His dogs do not eat bag dog food and as a matter of fact, the dry goods like flour and sugar are his main purchases from the grocer. I bet his family NEVER buys meat from a store. He gets his sheep and beef from his rancher boss and pork is either yard raised or predominately the wild caught.
Brent

Ian0351
August 3, 2009, 01:55 AM
I would very much take my kids (as soon as I have some, which shouldn't be too long) the hog hunt in the video... I feel that this breed of hunting is critically important to the preservation of sport, in both substance and spirit. I feel it is very important for us as men to be connected to the visceral roots of our existence. Just because we happen to live in 2009 doesn't mean we shouldn't embrace the will and determination that defines our species as the top of the chain. Fishing, hunting, wrassling, and fighting are at least some of the factors that have led to humanity being a definitive force in earth history; if not the defining forces thereof.

hogdogs
August 3, 2009, 02:06 AM
Ian, You would like our local method... I don't own a 4 wheeler cuz it would be a rare trip i could use it...
We walk the dogs through barbed wire (bobbed war in some locales) fences and turn them loose. I rarely will see open land until back tot he pasture where the trucks are parked. If we do hit open land, it is not until crossing a neighboring owner's fence and we are after our dogs and hog if bayed up.
Wheez reel rustech hear!:D:eek::o
Brent

butta9999
August 3, 2009, 03:29 AM
Hogdogs thats how we do it here too mate.. Stick them on site and leave the dirty things to rot. That first pig was a thumper too. nice tusks as well.

Good vid..

Art Eatman
August 3, 2009, 10:51 AM
Sorta off-topic rant, but germane: What's with all this reality-avoidance? Sure, the video isn't for showing during dinnertime when gathered around the table, but it's part of the real world of hunting.

Used to be, we had undertakers*. Then they got called funeral directors--and now, grief management counsellors. People don't die; they now pass away. We don't have grave diggers; we have grounds maintenance employees. We don't have garbage-men; we have sanitary engineers. And on and on. Euphemisms to avoid reality.

How do people ever learn about the real world, if "BTDT folks" don't show reality from time to time? And if people can't handle reality, what sort of society do you expect to have? (Rhetorical question; IMO too many folks DON'T cope with reality.)

Here, seems to me, since it's about the realities of our various forms of hunting, all that's needed for graphic pictures or videos is the simple alert: "Graphic".

Rant mode off. Continue.

Art

* A character on the old radio show, "FIbber McGee and Molly" was the unctuous-voiced "Digby O'Dell, the friendly undertaker". They joked about death and funerals. His exit line was always, "Well, I must be shovelling off."

hogdogs
August 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
Art, Thanks for that off topic (really on point considering some posts) "rant".
Glad to see the thread hadn't gotten locked when i seen you had posted.

Butta, I try to utilize the pigs if for no more than the dog food...
Brent

shortwave
August 3, 2009, 04:33 PM
pns112500, only one person from Loiusianna I don`t care for. Thats my ex and I sent her packin back to Shreveport some years ago. You don`t want me to sick her on ya:eek::D:D. Hey hogdogs, you ran into any of those pythons yet? I`ve had a few experiences with the cotton mouths but those pythons would be another story.

hogdogs
August 3, 2009, 04:35 PM
Not much chance of the pythons up here... I rather a 17 foot python than a broke tail 5 foot rattle snake!:eek:
Brent

jon_in_wv
August 3, 2009, 05:19 PM
If Art says its cool, its cool with me. I see there is a LOT of lee way in the hunting forum when it comes to the "must pertain to firearms" rule. Personally, I don't care how you kill the pigs. Dogs hunt, its natural. Pit Bulls are like jacked up 4x4s though. Guys don't have them because they need them, but because they think it makes them look COOL. At least your getting a little use out of yours. It still seems a little cruel though. A swift bullet to the noggin seems a little more humane. To each his own.

shortwave
August 3, 2009, 05:29 PM
Neither I suppose would be very fun. Don`t know if your familiar with Brahma Island(aka Diamondback capital of the South) on Lake Kissimmee but there`s some big D`backs on that island. Had a huge C`mouth try to get in my boat while I was netting at my shiner hole. Think the C`mouth has more of an attitude than the D`back. Also, before daylight one morning had the bow of my bass boat beached in the canal at Grape Hammock camp ground. Was checking boat out and heard a noise. Shined my flashlight towards bow of boat and there stood a nasty looking hog. He stared at me for a minute then started grazing down the canal. Glad he didn`t step out onto boat cause since I was next to the fish cleaning house and the gators usually fed on the fish carcasses, me and that hog would had done some hogdoggin without the dogs:eek::eek::eek:. From that time on I carried a pistol with me. PS. Thanks Art for not closing this down.

hogdogs
August 3, 2009, 07:00 PM
Pit Bulls are like jacked up 4x4s though. Guys don't have them because they need them, but because they think it makes them look COOL.
This is partially true... Starting about 1982 +/- the thug mentality young folks thought it would make up for their short comings. But the pitbull has always been a working dog breed. Yes a great part of their initial intent was the fighting pit. As with all working brreds, they often can handle cross training and the pit fit well with herding, catching, and stopping the free ranged cattle and swine of the pre barbed wire ranching days. Thus they made their way into modern capturing of feral live stock (wild hogs)... I personally own only one pure "pit" and she really isn't even a real pit as she is from 2 "blue pit" slate color parents and thus she is has some staffy.
My main 2 catch dogs are American Bulldog Pit cross sisters. far easier to handle on lead and less likelihood of battling dog aggression issues.
It still seems a little cruel though.
Do you agree that a vital zone gun shot or arrow shot is humane?
If not why? If so... a miss is possible and the wound channel of a perfect hit has a finite maximum depending on caliber and bullet type or arrow head type. Granted a straight in stab is minimal but we swirl or at least make a wide lateral motion. In my method, I go in the armpit so no ribs or other bones hinder my blade's motion. I make a 7 inch wound channel that wipes out the heart, arteries and lungs as well as often the trach. It is far more positive than a rifle shot from 200 yards.
Is it "in yer face"? Heck yes but it is more... IN MY FACE!!! I hve done the stick and let go of the hog instantly and never has one made it 15 feet...
I hear far too often of blood trails described as drips.. picture mine as a gallon can of red paint with no lid poured over 10 feet trail. Now which is suffering more?
I do not mind your opinion nor intend to force you to change it. I do invite you to try it with us and after that you can have more info to base your opinion or change it... CAUTION... Many have been hooked in one hunt!:D
A swift bullet to the noggin seems a little more humane. To each his own. I agree.. so let's get everyone to only shoot game in the head no matter the distance, specie or firearm chosen....
Also, we carry no guns, not even in the truck. we do not nor will not intentionally trespass but if our dogs follow a hog onto property we are not fully entitled to enter, a gun raises the offense, if owner chooses to complain, from simple trespass to felonious armed trespass. Also, the real reason we do not carry the guns is we simply do not see the need.
I see there is a LOT of lee way in the hunting forum when it comes to the "must pertain to firearms" rule.
Yes, in this section the content simply has to be hunting related.
Brent

wyobohunter
August 3, 2009, 10:53 PM
I've neck shot deer and they were still alive but paralyzed when I got to them. That's why I always carry my K-Bar, easy to reach the arteries/heart from the base of the throat. They sure do gush and I tell ya what, best meat ever when they are completely drained like that. I don't intentionally go for the neck if I have a vitals shot but, I wish I could get a neck shot every time.

jon_in_wv
August 4, 2009, 04:18 PM
Take a breath Brent, its ok. I wasn't attacking you. I just said it "SEEMS' a little cruel. Thats is a gut feeling, not a statement of what it is. Your taking my statements a LOT further than they were meant. If you look at them again, you failed to quote me when I said,

Personally, I don't care how you kill the pigs. Dogs hunt, its natural
or
At least your getting a little use out of yours in reference to the Pits/dogs.
or
To each his own

Put them in context man, not everyone is bashing you.

FrontSight
August 4, 2009, 08:28 PM
That was epic!

Art Eatman
August 4, 2009, 09:22 PM
Nuff fer now...