PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying A Footprint

ninjatoth
July 24, 2009, 03:26 PM
I live in central michigan,and it is almost unheard of to hear of blackbears around here.Can someone tell me if this is a bear print?Looks to me like a human barefoot print next to a really large dog print.But I snapped this in march when it is way too cold for a human to walk barefoot,and the doglike prints are almost as big as my hand.What are these?

Dragon55
July 24, 2009, 03:29 PM
Well duh anybody can tell that's a baby bigfoot print. I just wonder where mama was?

tyrajam
July 24, 2009, 03:43 PM
Definately dog/coyote prints, but as far as the other one, sorry but to me it looks like a regular shoe track. I don't see any toes in the picture?

davlandrum
July 24, 2009, 04:01 PM
Is the one in question the human looking one? I can't see toes either. The dog print is very clear.

Bear prints are wider than they are long, so would not be mistaken for human.

COYOTE JLR
July 24, 2009, 04:08 PM
I've gotta say that it looks like a human foot print to me. Maybe a fellow running with a dog probably about the size of a German Shepard. I couldn't see anything particularly unusual about the picture. It would be nice to know how far apart the tracks were.

ninjatoth
July 24, 2009, 04:09 PM
another pic from that day.Is it just a big dog you think?

ninjatoth
July 24, 2009, 04:12 PM
found another print from back in march

davlandrum
July 24, 2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/mammals/bearsign.html

Has some decent illustrations of black bear prints. It would have to be a front paw if it was a bear, but notice how flat the toes are across the foot. Your picture looks like the toes curve around a lot more.

I would bet large dog. That would be a monster coyote!

ninjatoth
July 24, 2009, 04:18 PM
it is interesting that on my "print2" it is 4.5 inches long by what looks like 4" wide,and that is identical to what described in that bear link

COYOTE JLR
July 24, 2009, 04:21 PM
Here's a little side by side comparison with my baby. He's not even full grown yet.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/coyotej15/prints.jpg

ninjatoth
July 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
ahh,it's probably my sisters' lab then,she goes to the river alot,probably on the trail I was on

Daryl
July 24, 2009, 04:58 PM
Here's a picture I took last October of the tracks of a black bear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Daryl45/BearTracks2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Daryl45/BearTracks1.jpg

It was going swimming in this stock tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Daryl45/BearTracks3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Daryl45/BearTracks4.jpg

The tracks in your pictures look like someone took their dog for a walk. I could certainly be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they aren't bear tracks.

Daryl

cornbush
July 24, 2009, 05:07 PM
Looks like a large dog or maybe a wolf.

ninjatoth
July 24, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure what to think.They look alot like dog prints,but compare the pics that COYTEJLR put up comparing mine to a dog.At first glance they look exactly the same,but look closer,my print has 5 toes,and the dog has only 4.Maybe a freak dog or werewolf or something,lol

davlandrum
July 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
Coyote's thumb is on the 5th toe.

RobertRogers
July 24, 2009, 06:01 PM
Black bear prints look something like a human footprint only squashed down a bit so that they are fatter.

The print I see there is a dog, not a coyote.

Hawg
July 24, 2009, 06:05 PM
That's a dog track. It would have to be one teeny tiny little bear to leave a four inch track including claws.

VaFisher
July 24, 2009, 06:32 PM
It not a bear track for sure but does look like a big dog track.

Vanya
July 24, 2009, 06:35 PM
At first glance they look exactly the same,but look closer,my print has 5 toes,and the dog has only 4.
It's hard to be sure, but I think there are two overlapping tracks in that picture, hence the "five-toed" appearance.

They look like dog tracks to me. Every bear track I've seen has the toes more in a line in front of the pad, not curved around it like that...

simonkenton
July 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/simonkenton/chupamex.jpg

I can say without reservation that is a Chupacabra. They are migrating north from Puerto Rico.
That print is from a male, less than 3 years old. Probably 50-60 pounds.

Daryl
July 24, 2009, 07:45 PM
WOW! Now that's a rare picture, SimonKenton!

Very few people have ever seen a chupacarbra and lived to tell about it, much less get a picture of one.

:)

Daryl

simonkenton
July 24, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thank you Daryl, thank you very much.

It wasn't easy.
I had the Polaroid in my right hand, and a Bowie Knife in the left.
I had a 12 pound Smithfield ham hanging from a pine tree branch, right here in North Carolina.
Had to stake out that ham for 3 nights before the Chupacabra appeared.

I thought, it was going to get down to me and my Bowie, for a minute, but at the last minute the Chupacabra veered off into the darkness.
I mean, he was hungry, but he wasn't stupid.
I got 2 other pics, but they were out of focus.

Buzzcook
July 24, 2009, 10:44 PM
simonkenton, your flaw was in not using goat's milk as bait. Goat cheese will do in a pinch, but you have to mold it in form of an udder.

Other wise, a very cunning plan.

impalacustom
July 25, 2009, 04:42 AM
As to that track it is identical to my black labs print, his is probably a bit bigger (wieghs 105lbs and yes he is pure lab) and he has 5 claws as well, he still has the dew claws. He has to wear boots when we go bird hunting in the fields so he doesn't get it caught. His foot is about 5"x5", actually bigger than the whole palm of my hand.

Simon, your lucky I am not in your neck of the woods, cause me and Mr Cabra there would been fighting like hell for that Smithfield. Those are the best hams ever.

Kreyzhorse
July 25, 2009, 07:54 AM
I was hoping for a bigfoot print (I really was), but I'm guessing dog and human shoe print.

Also perhaps the big foot print is older than the dog print hence why it's no longer as clear as the dog print?

ninjatoth
July 25, 2009, 09:03 AM
you must understand,that the human like footprint I found on my family's water locked 30 or so acres in march,average mid 30's temp.My footprints were clearly boot prints with defined treads,I am almost the only one that ever goes down there,and it was a flat non treaded print with toes that I could see clearly,but not so clearly in the photo.

hogdogs
July 25, 2009, 10:09 AM
If you see these tracks again and want to know what it is... Get enough people to visually cover all escape routes and I will put 3 bulldogs on the ground... It is either gonna escape or get caught.:D
Brent

Capt Charlie
July 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
you must understand,that the human like footprint I found on my family's water locked 30 or so acres in march,average mid 30's temp.

My guess is that it's not a human footprint. Looks more to me like a scrape, where the dog/? was pawing the ground.

As to the canine print, another possibility might be a gray wolf (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12205-32569--,00.html#Michigan%20History). Note the size of the track (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12141_12168-31682--,00.html) as compared to the one in your photo.

beezaur
July 25, 2009, 01:25 PM
My 90-lb German shepherd's tracks are larger than those pictured.

I'm thinking dog in the 50- to 60-lb range. Or a dog that would be that weight if it wasn't overfed.

Scott

Daryl
July 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think Scott's right.

They look just like one of my airedale's tracks. He weighs right about 55 lbs.

Daryl

Ian0351
July 25, 2009, 02:03 PM
Looks like a drag mark to me... 4-legged creature moving left to right with something in it's mouth maybe? That or I agree with Capt. Charlie.

SAIGAFISH
July 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Its got to bigfoot and his trusty sidekick

ninjatoth
July 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
Its got to bigfoot and his trusty sidekick

I can just see a club toting sasquatch with his sidekick werewolf boy

hogdogs
July 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
If it is a sasquatch, and my bulldogs catch him.. we can split the first monies from appearences and selling the initial footage of the live beast tied up...
BUT I get the beast to bring home and start the "Ye Ol' Hogdogs Bar and Bigfoot emporium".... Aspirations of wealth you see...:D
Brent

SAIGAFISH
July 25, 2009, 03:21 PM
We dont get to exited about bigfoot traks around here in the pac nw
but a wolf track would atract some attention around here.

Capt Charlie
July 25, 2009, 03:59 PM
We dont get to exited about bigfoot traks around here in the pac nw
but a wolf track would atract some attention.

The OP lists his location as Sanford, Michigan. At present, Michigan has over 500 wolves with the population growing (see my gray wolf link in my post below). Given the large hunting range of gray wolves, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see wolves in any rural area of central or northern MI.

ninjatoth
July 25, 2009, 04:18 PM
Iv'e never seen a wolf around here.But I don't think iv'e ever seen a coyote either,but I can hear hundreds at night,so maybe.

SAIGAFISH
July 25, 2009, 04:21 PM
yote tracks are way smaller than that.

Daryl
July 25, 2009, 05:44 PM
yote tracks are way smaller than that.

And narrower.

Daryl

Longun
July 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Probably one of these. About four years ago in Missaukee Co. a bunny hugger was razing high breed wolfs. She would raze them to the age of two and then distribute them in the larger swamps around the middle of the State. She released dozens of them as this went for years. If memory serves they had to lock her up to stop her. I have not herd of any reports of them in a couple years thought we had them shot off as they are considered a invasive species & all that is need is a hunting licenses + hunt year around. These
Dogs are wild in every cents of the word and should be treated as such .

The one in the photo was taken by a good friend in Roscommon Co.

longun

Longun
July 25, 2009, 08:25 PM
( The OP lists his location as Sanford, Michigan. At present, Michigan has over 500 wolves with the population growing (see my gray wolf link in my post below). Given the large hunting range of gray wolves, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see wolves in any rural area of central or northern MI. )

Capt Charlie The wolf population is located in the upper peninsula. Up until the spring of 09 there was no documentation of wolfs in the lower. This spring a photo was taken of a lone wolf taking down A deer in the back ground is a nice view of the south end of the mighty Mac. So they are here now.
About 200 miles from Sanford.

Sam as for bear the state opened a season on bear about two years ago in the gladwin distract about 10 miles north of Sanford they are expanding there range & dozens are taken yearly here in Roscommon

Longun

troy_mclure
July 25, 2009, 11:04 PM
ive seen some coon hounds tracks way bigger than those, especialy running at full gallop.

Double Naught Spy
July 26, 2009, 06:52 AM
Also, the softer the ground, the bigger the track tends to look.

dingdong
July 26, 2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks Simonkenton for locating my ex wife who disappeared with all my doe!

James R. Burke
July 27, 2009, 06:40 PM
Dog or yote. Maybe human or bear? No bigfoot.

Huntergirl
July 27, 2009, 09:47 PM
No evidence of dermal ridges. I really don't see toe prints. So not likely a squatch. Prolly a human shoe print and dog prints. Years ago I saw some interesting prints in the Uinta mountains in November. they were definitely barefooted, but small, around 10in prints with what appeared to be dermal ridges. Fairly deep. They were not bear prints. I didn't have a camera, dang it.