PDA

View Full Version : problem with Hamilton No27 22cal

workinwifdakids
July 1, 2009, 07:09 PM
I have a 22 caliber Hamilton (No. 27), and there is a problem with the action/fire control mechanisms. I have disassembled the rifle to it's basic components, and - as before I touched it - the hammer will not drop. In other words, there's no forward "force" to push the hammer into the firing pin.

Does anyone own a Hamilton who can walk me through this? Thank you! It would mean a lot to me, as I inherited this from my grandfather.

//cross posted to Holden's area//

James K
July 1, 2009, 07:49 PM
The Hamilton was what was once called a "Cloverleaf" rifle, not because of some physical feature, but because they were commonly offered as prizes to boys who sold a certain amount of Cloverleaf Salve.

Yours apparently has a broken or missing mainspring (hammer spring). Parts are not available and unless the gun is in near-new shape it is probably not worth having a gunsmith repair it. There was once little information on those guns, but they have acquired a mild collector interest and the very few found in top shape can bring a couple of hundred dollars. But most, as we have seen, were used by youngsters when shooting was a common boys' sport and the guns, not well made to begin with, were rarely given good care and simply wore out.

There is a book, by Jim Perkins, titled "American Boys' Rifles, 1880-1945" that has Hamilton information, but I don't know if it is in print.

BTW, they were made for .22 Short and .22 Long. Modern .22 Long Rifle ammo should not be fired in them.

Jim

workinwifdakids
July 1, 2009, 10:59 PM
I have the mainspring, but I cannot figure out how it goes in! It must have come loose somehow. Examination shows it has not sheared.

jondar
July 3, 2009, 08:03 AM
I did a search for a schematic, normally Numrich would have one you could buy for a buck or two but no got. Google not much help either. Looks like you will have to find the book recommended above.

James K
July 3, 2009, 12:14 PM
IIRC, your gun should have a patent number on the side; look up the patent and it should give a diagram. The web site is www.uspto.gov.

Jim

TEDDY
July 8, 2009, 08:22 PM
Jim: your not old enuf to remember clover leaf.
and the barrels were made by rolling sheet steel in to a tube with abronze rifled liner,I am old enuf to have had a few.dont shoot it.:rolleyes: