PDA

View Full Version : What If You Did Encounter A Perp?

ninjatoth
June 30, 2009, 04:51 PM
Let's say you hear a noise in the middle of the night somewhere in your house,so you get your revolver and go investigate,and you encounter a guy trying to steal your television,what then?Do you cock your gun or not?Do you cock the hammer back being prepared for making the first shot count if you do indeed feel the need to fire,or do you leave it uncocked,preparing to emty your gun without the first shot being lighter and throwing off your timing or also being cautious to not accidentally shoot him if he does indeed surrender?

Daryl
June 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
Under the stress of such an encounter, person is usually better off NOT cocking a DA revolver. To do so might create a bad situation where you unintentionally shoot the perp, and without proper justification you might end up in a mess (ok, you'll end up in a mess WITH proper justification, but it's always better to keep things in your favor).

That's one reason for practicing shooting DA, and not just SA.

From there, what I'd do would depend on the exact circumstances. If I'm not in fear of my life, I wouldn't shoot. It's not worth the trouble for a TV set, and the perp isn't likely to outrun me while carrying it. The perp also isn't likely to shoot very well while carrying one, if (s)he does indeed have a gun.

Otherwise, if I draw my gun, it's likely time to use it.

Daryl

pendennis
June 30, 2009, 05:18 PM
Your question infers a severe lack of preparedness.

You should be practicing for the scenario you raise. While shooting scenarios are, for the most part, ad libbed, you shouldn't have to think about your reaction.

If you wield a semi-auto like the 1911, you should have the weapon in condition 1, thumb on the safety. Other semi-autos should be prepared to be fired instantly. Insure you have ID'd your target and background.

If you have a revolver, and intend to use single-action first round, it should be cocked, finger off the trigger, until you're sure of your target and background. If you're sure of your double-action skills, be prepared to shoot that way from the first round. All the previous depends on how you've trained.

You are not required to determine the perp's intentions. You should be acting in response to the threat level presented to you and/or your loved ones. Shoot to stop the threat. Continue until you are satisfied there is no further threat from the perp.

p99guy
June 30, 2009, 05:21 PM
Wise Guy Method:
*Drag the old roll of carpet from the garage, and go get the shovel (*void where prohibited, option not availible in Alaska and Hawaii, and actual mileage may vary) Baada Boom, Baada Bing

otherwise, just do what Dennis said...

w_houle
June 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
What If You Did Encounter A Perp?
A what?

Russ5924
June 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
Just learn to shoot both SA and DA practice makes perfect:)

azredhawk44
June 30, 2009, 05:36 PM
a Perp

:rolleyes:

I'm not equipped to know if he's a "perp."

I only know whether he's a threat to me or not.

DA revolver with a threat in my house? Sure... I'd make certain first shot was DA.

ninjatoth
June 30, 2009, 06:00 PM
What If You Did Encounter A Perp?

A what?

perp (pûrp)
n. Slang
One who perpetrates a crime.

Daryl
June 30, 2009, 06:03 PM
Quote:
a Perp

I'm not equipped to know if he's a "perp."

I only know whether he's a threat to me or not.

DA revolver with a threat in my house? Sure... I'd make certain first shot was DA.

If (s)he's in your house illegally, (s)he's a perp that's committed a minimum of B&E, and probably burglary.

But as you indicated, that's irrelevant. You shoot to end the threat of serious bodily injury or death; no threat, don't shoot.

ninjatoth
June 30, 2009, 06:18 PM
I over exaggerated a simple question in my original post,but what I simply want to know is,if I see a BG in my house,do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????

Kreyzhorse
June 30, 2009, 06:39 PM
do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????

That depends on you and your comfort handling your revolver.

It would be a hell of a thing to shoot someone as he was laying down on your floor with his hands over his head.

SP Shop Foreman
June 30, 2009, 06:44 PM
Daryl +1

maustypsu
June 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
I would not cock my revolver. If you need to use, you will likely be close enough that you should feel comfortable using DA. I always shoot revolvers in DA for atleast some portion of my range time, both slow and rapid fire.

Too many things can go wrong with SA in that situation and not enough can go right to make it worth the risk.

srt 10 jimbo
June 30, 2009, 07:41 PM
Would Cock it and say freeze, If he comes at me, oh well.:)

EnoughGUN
June 30, 2009, 07:42 PM
Um... neither?
First of all I would not "go investigate" Why would you? You hear a noice and believe it is possible one or more criminals have entered your house. You decide to go stick your hiend end into it? No thanks. Why put yourself in danger when you don't have to? I would lock my bedroom door (after gathering family is needed) get my firearm and all the police. If the guy or guys tried to enter the room I would say I am armed and if they enter I will shoot them. I'm going to defend myself but not going to go look for trouble. Especially over a TV.

w_houle
June 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
If (s)he's in your house illegally, (s)he's a perp bad guy that's committed a minimum of B&E, and probably burglary.

But as you indicated, that's irrelevant. You shoot to end the threat of serious bodily injury or death; no threat, don't shoot.
There you go, FTFY... free of charge;)
Perp?.. sorry, it's just that it sounded a little to Gecko45 for my taste:D:barf:

VHinch
June 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
Um... neither?
First of all I would not "go investigate" Why would you? You hear a noice and believe it is possible one or more criminals have entered your house. You decide to go stick your hiend end into it? No thanks. Why put yourself in danger when you don't have to? I would lock my bedroom door (after gathering family is needed) get my firearm and all the police. If the guy or guys tried to enter the room I would say I am armed and if they enter I will shoot them. I'm going to defend myself but not going to go look for trouble. Especially over a TV.

Amen. Great post, and it should not have taken 15 posts for someone to answer this way.

Despite being well trained in building clearing in a prior career/life, it's high on my list of things not to do unless absolutely necessary, and the only reason I would consider it necessary is if I have to do it to get to my daughter. Clearing a building by yourself is a great way to get yourself killed, and I for one am certainly not doing it for anything that money can replace.

what I simply want to know is,if I see a BG in my house,do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????

Turn off the NYPD Blue reruns, put down the remote, and back slowly away. In all seriousness, please consider investing in some quality training from a reputable instructor.

trex1310
June 30, 2009, 08:19 PM
If someone was in my house they would be shot, no questions asked. Its
perfectly legal in this state. Its a risk of the burglar business.

Opinated
June 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
My worst encounter was a bit different. Dan Wesson 357 with 2 1/2" barrel. A recovered (so I thought) druggie with whom I was involved in a business deal went wild and threatened me while advancing. I pulled and pointed the revolver- no effect. When I cocked it, he stopped. Finally he left. I never saw him again.

JED1177
June 30, 2009, 08:52 PM
First.....what kind of television is it?

only1najeep
June 30, 2009, 09:01 PM
I've gone to investigate a noise downstairs and it was like second nature for me to cock the hammer on my gp100 in order to be prepared for the possability of encountering a threat.

Rugerdoug
June 30, 2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.katu.com/news/local/49463862.html

skydiver3346
June 30, 2009, 09:52 PM
Just read the article. They had both in the same bar drinking earlier. Wow, that must have been some powerful brewskies they were downing. Probably drunk as hell and started arguing about why he was in the shooter's home. Either way, seems to me that this situation is very strange indeed. Also, there was nothing mentioned about a break in or forced entry, so someone must have left the doors in the home unlocked?? Weird scenario for sure.

SAIGAFISH
June 30, 2009, 09:55 PM
I believe that guy went to jail becuase he shot sleeping drunk
guy.not a threat

OldMarksman
June 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Let's say you hear a noise in the middle of the night somewhere in your house,so you get your revolver and go investigate,...

EnoughGUN and VHinch nailed it. You do not do that!

Do you cock your gun or not?

No!

Do not take this the wrong way, but you should get some training.

MLeake
June 30, 2009, 10:21 PM
For typical distances inside the house, there's generally no need for SA on a DA revolver. Even at the range, I generally don't use SA inside 15 yards. On my LCR, there is no SA option, regardless of distance.

DA isn't hard, if you put in plenty of dry fire practice.

DA also radically reduces the odds of a nervous flinch causing the weapon to discharge.

Anticonn
June 30, 2009, 11:08 PM
Simple really, my revolver is DAO :p

I haven't put as much thought into this as I probably should, but my first line of defense I think would be stationing myself in the hallway to my bedroom with my shotgun. I have a very small place, from my bedroom door I can see the living room and kitchen, and hear anything in the apartment to get an idea of how many there are.

First person stepping into the hallway gets a chest full of buckshot. The hall only leads to my room and the bathroom, and I have better visibility from the doorway (as well as somewhere to retreat) than I do in my bedroom.

I don't think it would be wise to try and clear my apartment, it's small but has several blind corners, to the right, and being right handed that leaves my body leading the gun around the corner. Defensive sentry position, and wait, IMO.

csmsss
July 1, 2009, 12:17 AM
For me, the question is irrelevant, since I never place my trigger finger inside the trigger guard until I'm definitely going to pull it.

Tucker 1371
July 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
If you've got a revolver I'd say go DA. For my uncle nextdoor who has a SA .45LC as his only HD gun I'd say go ahead and cock it.

Shooting wise I practice shooting offhand, unsighted, double taps on targets the size of a human head and coke cans at about 15yds. My HD gun is (for now) an AK so my steps are 1) raise rifle to shoulder while simultaneously taking a slight forward lean 2) look down the bbl over or past the sights (I feel that using the sights will take too long) 3) squeeze 2x.

All of this happens in about .5 to .75 seconds (estimate).

Frank Ettin
July 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
As others have said --

[1] Don't go to investigate. It's a good way to get ambushed or flanked. And if there's more than one you can really be in trouble. The guy you're looking for has a huge tactical advantage. Because you are looking for him, he can wait and choose the manner of your meeting.

[2] Don't cock a double action revolver. If you're going to use a double action revolver, learn to shoot it accurately double action.

BikerRN
July 1, 2009, 12:47 AM
I over exaggerated a simple question in my original post,but what I simply want to know is,if I see a BG in my house,do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????

No, you do not "cock" the hammer on your revolver. This is just an accident waiting to happen.

If you know you have intruders in the home you do not go "investigate". You hole up in the room you are in behind cover and call 911. To do anything else is foolish at best. If you have to marshall other family members in to the safe room, then that changes the scenario a bit, but you still don't go looking for the intruder. You are only going to rescue an innocent, and bring them to safety.

Please, please, please get some training before you hurt yourself or an innocent. I'm not knocking you, as we were all beginners once, and I learn something new everyday, but having been in more than one armed encounter I can tell by your question that you need some good quality training.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

Elvishead
July 1, 2009, 01:37 AM
First, after you turn off the alarm, and call 911........

....and wolfs come in packs.

KD5NRH
July 1, 2009, 02:06 AM
So, are all the "don't go investigate" people deaf, or do they just ignore noises a lot?

I'd be calling the cops twice a night to come see if the baby tossed something out of her crib. How long do you think it would be before my calls dropped below lunch on the priority list?

OldMarksman
July 1, 2009, 07:10 AM
So, are all the "don't go investigate" people deaf, or do they just ignore noises a lot? I'd be calling the cops twice a night to come see if the baby tossed something out of her crib.

Listen.

Does the sound recur? If no, go back to sleep. If yes, keep listening.

Can you identify the source? If yes and it is a normal sound (icemaker, dog scratching, wind rattling something, etc.), go back to sleep, or if necessary, attend to the issue If no, keep listening.

Does it sound like the noise might well be caused by someone in the house who should not be there? If yes, dial 911, have someone stay on the line, arm yourself, get family members to safety, and wait.

Do not shoot at anyone you cannot see.

Most of the "don't go investigate" people either have received advice from experts or from people who have taken professional self defense training, or have taken the training themselves, and understand the risk of being ambushed.

Taking a defensive position is far safer, and makes it easier to defend against two people who might otherwise fire from different directions. Additionally, the homeowner must, if he does encounter someone, verify that the someone is not a family member or friend before firing. The necessity of doing so creates another tactical disadvantage, as a violent criminal in the house will dispense with that step.

Frank Ettin
July 1, 2009, 08:29 AM
It's better not to go investigating "bumps in the night" if you think there actually may be a BG there.

[1] You arm yourself. You investigate as best you can from a place of safety in house with your family. You wait and quietly listen. Does the sound repeat? Can you begin to identify it? Can you positively identify it as something innocuous? If the sound is clearly from outside, you look out nearby windows.

[2] If you can't identify the sound and believe there is a danger, you assure that your family and any known visitors are all together and with you in a place of safety. You call the police. You maintain telephone contact with the police. And you wait.

[3] You do not go anywhere to investigate, because --

(a) If you go looking, and there is indeed a BG there, you will be at an extreme tactical disadvantage. You can easily be ambushed or flanked. You may also have given a BG access to family members to use as hostages. Or there maybe more than one BG, one of whom can get to your family while you're occupied with the other one.

(b) When (whether you called them or they were called by a neighbor who may have also seen or heard something) the police respond, they don't know who you are. You are just someone with a weapon.

Massad Ayoob tells a story about the National Tactical Invitational, an annual competition in which some 130 of the top shooters and firearm trainers participate by invitation only. One of the events is a force-on-force exercise using simunitions in which the competitor must clear a house against a single "BG." According to Mas during the first six years of the NTI, one, and only one, competitor got through one of those six NTIs without being judged killed, and he was head of NASA security firearms training at the time. And one, and only one, made it through the seventh year. The tactical advantage of the ensconced adversary is just too great. And remember, these competitors were highly skilled, highly trained fighters.

ZeSpectre
July 1, 2009, 09:19 AM
In answering the OP's original question... I personally would not cock the pistol. In point of fact all of my SD guns are DA/SA guns and I train a lot with them decocked/DA mode.

As for clearing a house, well we all have had to investigate sounds before. My house has a seasonal issue with possums crawling around and if I called the cops every time I heard something "scritching" around the back door or window, or "testing" the doorknob to the porch, well I'd feel like a complete idiot.

BUT

Clearing/checking a house is an extremely dangerous proposition and you should have some kind of general plan in place and rehearsed LONG before you ever try it (even for possums).

The best is having a spouse or significant other ready with the phone in case it all goes bad. You delay and they call. (oh and have a code word that means "everything is really okay". My wife knows if I just say "oh it's okay honey" she should dial 911 immediately 'cause someone might have a gun to my head but if I mention fruit we're in the clear)

Finally, the same rant I post over and over because I think it's really important advice.
Whenever a scenario like this one comes up I feel compelled to mention that this is also one of those classic scenarios where you MUST remember that the perp may not be alone.
Even if you are able to deal with the obvious threat it is critically important to remain alert and aware of your entire surroundings in case the bad guy has backup present (just outside, in a car, or even in another part of the restaurant/club/stop n shop, etc. That's why it's so important to avoid acting too fast. You must assess the ENTIRE situation as much as possible before taking action and you MUST assume that the criminal has partners.

ninjatoth
July 1, 2009, 01:31 PM
Um... neither?
First of all I would not "go investigate" Why would you? You hear a noice and believe it is possible one or more criminals have entered your house.

Turn off the NYPD Blue reruns, put down the remote, and back slowly away. In all seriousness, please consider investing in some quality training from a reputable instructor.

This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.My daughter sleeps on the other side of the house as us and she is only 2 years old.I WILL NOT allow some lowlife to break into my house without doing something about it!

markj
July 1, 2009, 04:02 PM
If someone is in my house late at night and my dogs didnt go off on em well they must be friendly so no I wouldnt cock the weapon as I would not have one in my hand.

Years ago when I was 15, I came home and found the window open, mom and dad was on vacation leaving me home alone for the first time. Did I go in? Heck no, I went next door called 911 let the cops go in and clear the house while I waited outside. A couple small items were found by the back door, no people found so were they in there when I went and called 911? Would hate to find out the hard way and get shot again, well that would have been the first time.........

Frank Ettin
July 1, 2009, 04:06 PM
...My daughter sleeps on the other side of the house as us and she is only 2 years old.I WILL NOT allow some lowlife to break into my house without doing something about it...I understand completely, and you certainly have a good reason to go out investigating. BUT --

Having a real need to go looking doesn't change the reality that going looking substantially increases the likelihood that you will lose. The guy you're looking for has a tremendous tactical advantage and will be in an excellent position to ambush you. And things will really get bad for you if he has a friend. That is real life, even if you absolutely have to go and rescue your daughter. Now your losing won't do your daughter one bit of good, will it?

So what to do?

Maybe your really need to take a hard look at whether or not there's a better way to set up sleeping arrangements. Houses aren't necessarily laid out in the most tactically sound way, but there may be some options. And, especially if there's no better way to assign bedrooms, maybe you ought to give serious thought to getting some very solid, professonal training. If you have no choice but to put yourself in a very dangerous position, good training will increase your chances of survival.

JagFarlane
July 1, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hmmmm speaking from experience...here's my thoughts on this.

1) Letting the BG know that you have a weapon will kick in an adrenaline rush. This will cause either flight or fight syndrome. Add to that, what if the BG is mentally unstable or high on some substance? They may choose to get into an altercation and the absolute last thing you want to do is to end up having to shoot them. Why provoke the biological response if you don't have to? A basic smash and grab criminal is most likely going to run once they know someone is on to them.

2) Either I've missed it or no one has mentioned this, the best thing to have alongside with you is a very, very bright small flashlight. Why? Because if its the middle of the night, their eyes will be in night vision, hitting them with the light from a powerful flashlight will most likely blind them and buy you precious time to retreat to a more tactical spot, where you can call the police from.

JagFarlane
July 1, 2009, 05:12 PM
This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard.My daughter sleeps on the other side of the house as us and she is only 2 years old.I WILL NOT allow some lowlife to break into my house without doing something about it!

Just quoting this because you highlighted the suggestion of getting training, then proceeded to say this. I second the suggestion of getting training, its probably one of the smartest things one could do.

Hank15
July 1, 2009, 05:21 PM
Unless you believe the perp is 25+ yards away from you, you really shouldn't cock the hammer on your DA revolver. SA releases so easily, a bump into a desk or chair may cause you to unintentionally discharge.

There may be instances when you really need to cock the hammer though, I am sure you'll know when that time comes.

Mello2u
July 1, 2009, 05:34 PM
I use a 1911 "cocked and locked" and a Surefire flashlight. I have done house searches having heard an unexplainable noise dozens of times. Did it last night in fact.

There is no perfect way to do a single person house clearing. You simply can not cover all the angles at the same time by yourself.

However, if I called the police instead, I'd be labeled the guy who cried wolf. Never found anything, just the house expanding and contracting from heat and cold I guess.

As to what would I do if I actually encountered someone in my house? It depends on an infinite number of variables. I'd try to get him to leave and call the police with a description. I would only use deadly force as a last option.

pendennis
July 1, 2009, 05:45 PM

Never, ever say "Don't move". It gives the BG the first opportunity to shoot you, if he/she is armed.

VHinch
July 1, 2009, 06:58 PM

First of all, if you actually read the response, I made the statement early on that having a child on the other side of the house was the only reason I would clear my house. While an unfortunate position to be in, that doesn't make clearing your house any less dangerous. If anything, it makes it more so, as in that situation you're going to be anxious to get to the child and rush your way through something that can't safely be done quickly. Wandering through your house with a gun and no idea what you're doing is an excellent way to get yourself killed. How much good is that going to do your child?

Now, this-
Turn off the NYPD Blue reruns, put down the remote, and back slowly away
was very tongue in cheek and directed downright comical tone of the whole question. You were suggesting that you would cock your revolver and actually say "Don't move", and all that after referring to the guy as a "Perp." You couldn't make that have more a mall ninja tone if you tried.

This suggestion however-
please consider investing in some quality training from a reputable instructor
Was very serious. Your experience level is pretty clear, and all anyone is doing is suggesting that if you're going to be in the position of having to do something dangerous and stupid, at least get some training and give yourself a chance of living through it.

ninjatoth
July 1, 2009, 08:27 PM
Was very serious. Your experience level is pretty clear

I am not sure whose experience level you are refering to,but if it is me,I would like to know where you would get that idea,other than a simple post on a revolver specific question asking people how they would handle their revolver in a dangerous encounter:confused:

Frank Ettin
July 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
Sam,

Your question gave you away. No one who has had professional training would have had to ask it. All the major schools teach to not cock a DA revolver.

It's okay to be a novice. We all were. Just recognize it and change it by getting some training.

#18indycolts
July 1, 2009, 08:47 PM
Do you this, do you that? :rolleyes: A lot of "do you's" in the thread. :o

VHinch
July 1, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think you answered yourself. These two questions, particularly the bolded italicized sections, indicate minimal training/experience with the type of situation we're discussing.

Let's say you hear a noise in the middle of the night somewhere in your house,so you get your revolver and go investigate,and you encounter a guy trying to steal your television,what then?Do you cock your gun or not?Do you cock the hammer back being prepared for making the first shot count if you do indeed feel the need to fire,or do you leave it uncocked,preparing to emty your gun without the first shot being lighter and throwing off your timing or also being cautious to not accidentally shoot him if he does indeed surrender?

if I see a BG in my house,do I cock the hammer or not before I point it at him and say "don't move"????

There is nothing wrong with needing training and experience. We all started there. All anyone is suggesting is that based on your situation i.e., having no choice but to get across your house to get to a child, is that you get some training and do it more safely. One of the first things you'll do in such a training session is a Simunitions run, and it's quite eye opening.

House clearing is not easy, and it is not safe, especially when done alone. Quite frankly, it's difficult and extremely dangerous even when done in a 2 man team who is well trained to do it.

Rifleman 173
July 1, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, if he's inside of MY house he's about to have a really bad day. Somebody once called in about some shots in my neighborhood. A number of local police officers just happen to know where I live. The comment was actually made, over the police radio net, that I wouldn't be calling the police to do anything except to help pick up the dead bodies. I know that they didn't say that in a bad way. The officers just "have confidence" in my shooting abilities and prior military history. It's sort of like having a combat veteran Navy SEAL living next door. There are certain things you can "automatically expect to happen" if trouble approaches his residence.

Glenn E. Meyer
July 1, 2009, 09:01 PM
A cocked revolver may be an ND waiting to happen if you don't have training. A lot of human factors research has been done on gun handling under stress and a single action pull can easily occur.

Also, Mas has documented a police officer who got into trouble as he was trained to cock his gun and then shot a person by a twitch.

So the technical answer is that it is a bad idea. About clearing the house, it is difficult against an opponent by yourself. The suggestions to train and/or rearrange the house for security make a lot of sense.

Those are much more important than the issue of cocking the revolver.

buck9
July 1, 2009, 09:16 PM
This thread has made me think. I now will never cock my revolver until I am sure I will fire. I know now I need to practice d/a more than s/a. I can only speak from my knowledge. My revolver with the hammer cocked is a dangerously light trigger pull. Once again thanks for making me think.

OldMarksman
July 1, 2009, 09:16 PM
A cocked revolver may be an ND waiting to happen if you don't have training. A lot of human factors research has been done on gun handling under stress and a single action pull can easily occur.

And that's one reason why I chose a DAO revolver for concealed carry. Here's a worthwhile article on the subject:

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/daovdasa.htm

Relevant excerpts:

...people who carry a revolver for self defense should practice almost exclusively for double action fire, as if the single action option wasn't even there. Why? Because there are almost no situations in which single action fire is appropriate in self defense. Most self defense situations unfold rapidly. There isn't time to thumb cock a revolver and take careful aim in the way one would do while target shooting. A cocked revolver is dangerous in the adrenaline dump of a lethal force encounter. The trigger is just too light. Its too easy to fire when you don't mean to. There was a well-publicized case in Miami several years back in which a police officer accidentally shot a suspect he was holding at gunpoint with a cocked revolver. The suspect was killed and the officer faced a lengthy court process which ultimately destroyed his career.

In a nervous situation, a cocked revolver is dangerous. When you're really nervous or scared, the heavy double action trigger pull is an asset rather than a liability. I can hear you say, Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire, and that's true, but we also know that people don't always do what they're supposed to do in the stress of a deadly encounter. The police officer in Miami is a good example. I'm sure he had heard the rules. A firm double action trigger can be a welcome piece of insurance against an accidental discharge. With a DAO revolver, manual cocking isn't possible, nor is it possible to be accused of negligently cocking the hammer in a civil action which could follow a self defense shooting.

About clearing the house, it is difficult against an opponent by yourself. The suggestions to train and/or rearrange the house for security make a lot of sense. Those are much more important than the issue of cocking the revolver.

Very true indeed.

No, I didn't know about not cocking the revolver before I took CCW training. And I had no idea how foolish it was to walk around the house with gun in hand to investigate a noise, though simple common sense should have made that very clear.

Yes, training is a good thing--maybe a lifesaver.

ninjatoth
July 1, 2009, 09:35 PM
Your question gave you away. No one who has had professional training would have had to ask it. All the major schools teach to not cock a DA revolver.

I am asking a question as for "what would you do?"Would you cock the hammer in an encounter or not?One person stated that the BG backed down after cocking the hammer,and that is a good answer.For me personally,no I would not cock it because of the adrenelin would probably cause me to accidentally discharge.My question isn't personal to me and the fact that people are questioning my experience for asking others what they would do is strange to me.

OldMarksman
July 1, 2009, 09:53 PM
One person stated that the BG backed down after cocking the hammer,and that is a good answer.

I don't think it is a good answer. The guy was lucky. Very lucky.

As was I, 41 years ago, when I cocked a revolver that I had aimed at someone who had gained entrance into my rented cabin at night in Colorado. Fortunately--very fortunately--things turned out OK.

Cocking a revolver is OK for hunting and target shooting, but not for personal defense.

My question isn't personal to me and the fact that people are questioning my experience for asking others what they would do is strange to me.

Don't take it that way. This is a very serious subject. You can't afford to learn what you should have done if you were wrong.

The required eight hour training class I took last year for the CCW permit covered a lot of subjects. About four hours were devoted to legal issues.

The subject of cocking a revolver was addressed. I had never even considered the question and in a home invasion situation would probably have cocked the gun.

So was the issue of what to do when a perp is in the house (ans: let the perp come to you). I would most certainly have gone to find the guy.

Find out what training is available in your area and take it.

You won't regret it.

ninjatoth
July 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
well,it's a good answer not because it's right,but because it is a different response than just no!But I can't personally take a CCW class,I can't even get in there,so that option is out.In my state if you have any mental condition,which I do,they refuse to let you take ccw,yet willy nilly hand me over the pistol permit.Kind of stupid and a whole nother issue alltogether.

Glenn E. Meyer
July 2, 2009, 10:02 AM
This one is too weird. Before we go off on some psychobabble, the question is asked and answered.

Don't cock the gun.