PDA

View Full Version : Bad over the counter ammunition

HankH
June 29, 2009, 11:39 AM
I bought two boxes of Winchester Brand ammunition for my lever action 30-30 on Saturday(6/27) from Academy Sports and Outdoors in Houston, Texas. They were 170 grain round nose. I took them to a local range and fired two rounds. Both cases split in at least three places. The splits were mostly on the shoulders but the worst split was way down the side of the case. I returned the ammunition to Academy and recieved a refund. They told me that they were going to put the unopened box back on the shelf to sell to someone else. I was amazed. I'm sure that I am not the only one to buy and shoot this bad ammunition. Anyone else out there hear of this?

AirForceShooter
June 29, 2009, 11:42 AM
Any time I get ba ammo I contact the manufacturer.

Not that it's happened often.

But usually I get back 2 for one

AFS

Brian Pfleuger
June 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
I've never heard of a store that will take back ammunition for ANY reason, under ANY circumstances, ever.

Winchester on the other hand, will send you a call tag and replace the ammo all on their dime. Been there, done that.

Big Ugly Tall Texan
June 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
Did you fire other rounds from a different source? The case splitting lengthwise sounds more like a headspace or chamber dimension problem than an ammo problem.

Also, was there a problem with gas blowing back in your face? I've had case separations with some of my handloads that I loaded too many times, and there was always lots of gas.

In addition to that, it would be extremely irreponsible for a dealer to take back a box of ammo with two rounds gone and then try to sell what was left of the box like it was a full box. Especially after hearing that the two missing rounds had cases split open.

Shadi Khalil
June 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
In addition to that, it would be extremely irreponsible for a dealer to take back a box of ammo with two rounds gone and then try to sell what was left of the box like it was a full box. Especially after hearing that the two missing rounds had cases split open.

I thikn he said he bought two boxes and only opened one. The unopened box went back up on he shelf.

Big Ugly Tall Texan
June 29, 2009, 12:31 PM
You're right. That is what it said.