PDA

View Full Version : Decided to stay put in case of escalation...

KingEdward
June 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
This happened about 30 min ago on a lunch errand. Please tell me what I did wrong or what I could have done better.....I was not CCW as they have signs posted. I always carry a 3.5" blade Gerber.

Went into a Walmart neighborhood grocery. Not as big as a walmart, more like a food lion. Got a few things (carry basket) and proceeded to check out.
In line in front of me was a 5'5" slender gentleman. He was asian and appeared to be 40-50 years of age. He was checking out and the last item was a 12 pack of beer. The young female clerk said, "Sir my I please see your ID". He replied, WHAT! you don't think my son is over 18 years!

She remained calm and pulled the beer aside and said again, Sir I need to see your ID. He took a step forward putting both hands down firmly on the conveyor belt and said, my son is over 18 and I don't have to prove anything to anyone. This is crazy, you're crazy, etc. He kept rocking back and forth and I was just wondering when he was going to grab her. He also made a move like he was going to wrestle the beer away.

At this point, there was no one behind me but other 2 lines were full so I backed up about 4 feet and relaxed. In my mind, I was going to restrain or at least get between him and her if he got physical with the clerk. He left and went to his vehicle and I could see him the whole time. He came back with a green card id and threw it down on the counter. She stated that she would have to check with her manager to see if that was acceptable.

He started to go off again so I moved forward, put my basket next to the beer rather forcefully and said, "some jobs are tougher than others". He lost all expression then got quiet. She came back and rang up the beer. He mumbled crazy policy and left.

Sometimes situations like this one might cause me to question the business security tactics. Where is a manager? Who is paying attention?

There was no manager that seemed to notice but all the customers did.

In the end, no physical aggression (other than he grabbed at the beer) and no crime committed.

I'm glad he did not touch the clerk. She was a little rattled and said to me, I'm just doing my job and don't want any trouble. I replied you did fine and
did nothing wrong.

I sure thought the guy was gonna blow. I'm glad I hung around and there was another guy who was at the self checkout and he was about to come over and I believe help us out if beer man started getting physical.

As I was leaving, finally a male manager came up to her and they were chatting as I left. The beer man had already got in his honda and left.

Wildalaska
June 24, 2009, 03:11 PM
What was in your carry basket?

WildjustoutofcuriositywouldyouhavedonethesameifyouwerearmedAlaska ™

KingEdward
June 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
box of triscuits, six pack of diet mountain dew, box of blueberry
cereal bars, two 8 packs of AA batteries, 1 pk teriyaki jerky

KingEdward
June 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
always miss you signature but just caught "would I have done the same if I were Armed?"

I was armed with a knife. If a gun was in my pocket instead, the answer is yes, I would have done the same.

I had no plan to use the knife or my fists or feet. More of a plan to keep her safe and keep agression away from a small teen girl. I'm very stocky and a good wrestler so that's what I was thinking if he started getting pushy shovy.

comn-cents
June 24, 2009, 03:25 PM
I think you handled it correctly.
I would of done the same thing.
Taking his attention off of her (when you dropped you basket)can often take people out of their tunnel vision and it helps them realize there are others around.
Hats off to you for steeping in.

Doc Intrepid
June 24, 2009, 03:29 PM
+1

Good on you for the involvement.

B. Lahey
June 24, 2009, 03:35 PM
So somebody yelled at a cashier and nothing happened.

I don't understand how there were any options other than standing there.

Sure, you did fine, but anyone would have done fine as there was nothing to be done.

Guess I'm missing the point of this thread. If I started a thread every time I saw somebody act rudely to a cashier, my post count would look like Wildalaska's. Clerks are sponges for the rage of idiots, I see it two or three times a day. So what?

Should we shoot them or something? :)

comn-cents
June 24, 2009, 03:42 PM
What's wrong with someone asking for advise or pointers to a situation?
So it seems you live in a crappy part of town if you see these things all the time.
I for one see something like this maybe once every 3 or 4 months.

hogdogs
June 24, 2009, 03:45 PM
Had I have been the mad feller unable to buy my beer, I ain't so sure I would have taken you serious with what was in yer carry basket...:D Come on... Triscuit and blueberry bars along with diet Anything?:rolleyes: i woulda thought the jerky must be fer yer Pomeranian!:eek:
Brent

DougO83
June 24, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have only seen this happen a couple of times. I usually make some comment to the jagoff in question to hint that they should just head on their way. I guess this comes from working as a bouncer for a few years. I don't stand by and let schmucks just treat service staff like that. Their job sucks enough as it is...Good on ya

cavymeister
June 24, 2009, 04:23 PM
The sad part is that all the beer guy had to do was say "Crap, I left it in the car. Can you hang on a second?" Ran out to his car (like he ended up doing anyway) bought the beer and went on.

Why the additude?

KingEdward
June 24, 2009, 04:32 PM
I was thinking that as well and also what his son's age had to do with anything relevant to his purchase.

But spent less time on that and more time on what happens next if he....

His english was a little broken and I don't know but maybe the green card indicates that he hasn't been in the states very long. He seemed like a fish out of water (so to speak)

sakeneko
June 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
I rather strongly suspect that this whole thing occurred because of a miscommunication. The guy wasn't originally from the United States. He probably was at least somewhat unfamiliar with the culture, and probably was not fluent in English. The whole story sounds that way to me, in any event. First and foremost, I ask myself why the age of the guy's son would have anything to do with whether he was allowed to purchase beer or not? *His* age was the issue, right? (Or am I missing something?)

If I'd been the checkout clerk, though, I would definitely have wanted the guy in line behind him to stick around and help if he did cross the line from being rude/unreasonable to being violent. It doesn't sound as if the store's managers were aware of what was going on or able to provide their checkout clerk any support or help if the guy had flipped out and got violent. :/

hogdogs
June 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
Here in florida I have been denied the beer purchase as I had my teen kids with me:mad: Not often but it has happened. But it don't do know good to get outwardly obnoxious. I have grumbled my disdain at this as I ain't about to share a beer with my kids (too stingy) and momma would feed me eggs and huevos for breakfast the next mornin' and I would thank her in a high pitched voice if I gave them beer.
Brent

KingEdward
June 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
you are spot on I think. He kept mentioning his son's age and I think once alluded to some logic that he was buying it for his son.

My son is over 18. Was his mantra.

The cashier didn't say it, but her look was I could care less how old your son is.

Wildalaska
June 24, 2009, 05:05 PM
box of triscuits, six pack of diet mountain dew, box of blueberry
cereal bars, two 8 packs of AA batteries, 1 pk teriyaki jerky

You did good.....

But B. Lahey does have a point...

Now me, I would have ripped off a Dew from the pack, torn off my clothes down to my spandex thong and start dancing around the guy while holding out the the Dew and singing in my best Howlin Wolf incarnation:

Well I know
I've got a babe
And I know her
Love is true
But you ain't seen nothing
'Til you see her, see her
Do the do
Do the do

Shake her shoulder
Take her time
Mover her body
Like I move mine
When she's dancing
You'll love her too
When you see her
Do the do
Do the do

34 bucks
20 to waste
Everything
Right in place
Cool disposition
Love her too
When you see her
Do the do
Do the do

Well, well there
Ain't nothing like
When you see her
Do the do
Do the do

Well I know
I've got a babe
And I know her
Love is true
But you ain't seen nothing
'Til you see her, see her
Do the do
Do the do

WildbethewouldhavewhippedouthisidAlaska ™

OldMarksman
June 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
Sure, you did fine, but anyone would have done fine as there was nothing to be done. Guess I'm missing the point of this thread. If I started a thread every time I saw somebody act rudely to a cashier, my post count would look like Wildalaska's. Clerks are sponges for the rage of idiots, I see it two or three times a day. So what?

I happen to think that King Edward's post does have merit, but Lahey, that just might be the best ol' country lawyer comment I've seen in weeks.

No, nothing happened. Great. Sticking around seems to me to have been the right thing to do.

Not the most risk averse, but the right thing.

Hornett
June 24, 2009, 05:13 PM
and momma would feed me eggs and huevos for breakfast

Eggs ARE huevos.
Eggs and eggs?
What are you talking about?
OOOooohhhh! :eek:
Never mind. :D

KingEdward
June 24, 2009, 05:22 PM
In the past, when I read many of the posts about "in defense of others", or situations when things are escalating and are "going south", I often have thoughts about many things as there are all the sides that chime in.....

like, you don't know all the facts so keep quiet and don't intervene

or, what if you make things worse and the guy goes from upset to livid

then, well you have some moral obligation to step in and help.

Today, none of that really passed through the brain. It was more or less
she is not going to get hurt or treated worse if I can help it.

I think today if he had pulled a knife and showed her or a gun from under his shirt, I would have attacked him. That is not something I would normally
consider but today was just a little different for me.

I usually tend to think back away and get snacks another time.

Michael Anthony
June 24, 2009, 06:39 PM
If his son wasn't with him, he was probably trying to show how "ridiculous" the request was, as he is obviously old enough with children that age. When English isn't your first language, you tend to put things differently and in different context.

Wildalaska, your tactics are sound. Just make sure you maintain your reactionary gap and a retention grip on the Dew.

Was it tactical jerky?

DryGulch
June 24, 2009, 07:13 PM
I bet seeing WildAlaska in a thong would have cleared the whole store....:eek:

But, then again... WildAlaska might have gotten a date from the raging nut!

sakeneko
June 24, 2009, 07:17 PM
These days, somebody would have taken video of the whole scene using their cell phone, and Wildalaska would've ended up on Youtube, so who knows how many dates he'd have been offered? [EVIL grin] But I bet it would've distracted the guy with the attitude about showing ID to get his beer. ;-)

Wildalaska
June 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
As per request

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howlin%27_Wolf_London_Sessions

Dance with me...keep them rude customers in line

http://www.last.fm/music/Howlin%27+Wolf/_/Do+the+Do

WildyeahimamanAlaska ™

PS the London session is a bit hoppier but not as gritty

pacerdude
June 24, 2009, 08:28 PM
You definitley made the right decision by not escalating the disagreement and waiting to make sure nothing happened to the clerk. Good Job :cool:.

jjyergler
June 24, 2009, 08:46 PM
You did well, KingEdward. Reassuring the cashier about a job well done was the most important thing you did. :cool:

Alaska, what's your thing with spandex thongs. The less I know about a man's underwear, the better. :eek:

Brian Pfleuger
June 24, 2009, 08:49 PM
Now me, I would have ripped off a Dew from the pack, torn off my clothes down to my spandex thong

Why do I have an image of Machoman Randy Savage in my mind?

That right there, folks, is the funniest mental image I can recall in quite some time.

Tacky, yet delightfully unrefined.:eek::D

Trooper Tyree
June 24, 2009, 10:38 PM
I was in a similar situation recently at, surprise, Wal-Mart as well. My brother and I were going to go fishing, and he needed a license, so we were at the Sporting goods desk in the back.

It was about 7 or so in the evening, and there was a young fellow in front of us, late twenties to thirtyish. He was fairly fit looking, maybe 5'9", trim, had a folding carpenters knife on his belt. Hat on his head, head appeared to be shaved clean underneath. I couldn't tell if he was/had been sick, or if it was just shaven.

There was some sort of problem with the transaction that required a Manager to override. The clerk, a 17-18 year old girl had paged for a CSM to come back to the sporting goods counter. I didn't think much of it, figured a CSM would be over in a minute and we'd all be on our way. After several minutes she either paged or phoned the office. I've forgotten the order it went down in, but I think she paged for a CSM twice, and seemed hesitant to page again, and so she called the office, I think again twice. We stood there for probably close to ten minutes though. By then I was getting ******. :) At the CSM though, for leaving the girl hanging like that. I'd been watching the guy all this time and I was getting more and more antsy for a CSM to GTF over there and resolve it, he was making me nervous.

Unlike KingEdward's though it wasn't an outward show of anger or verbal abuse. He was quite and feigning politeness. Or trying to stay polite. But you could see he had a certain tension in him, he was wound up and getting more so as time went on. It was building and he was just holding it in.

I'm sure a lot of us do that, but he was making me nervous. I don't know what it was, but he was getting me pretty taunt and wound up myself. In reflection part of it was his funny way of standing mostly very still. Try doing that for minutes on end, it's not natural. Towards the end he did start pacing around a bit, I don't remember if he was clinching his hands into fists while standing or not, but I do remember him thumping the counter a time or two with a closed fist about 8 min in or so. He was still very contained though, in that it wasn't really directed at anyone.

I didn't have a CCW on me. I had a Ti-lite, I always carry a knife, but in a tool capacity. Sure they will act as a self defense weapon if you have to, but that's not why I carry them and they aren't what I turn to first. In this case I just reclined myself on the shelf of baseball bats behind him and watched. If the SHTF I had a nice bat all picked out, and I was also trying to act as a barrier between him and the bats, kind of keep them out of sight out of mind, no need to tempt the fellow.

It blew over very uneventfully though. At the end of the ten minutes or so, he suddenly told the girl very politely, "I'm sorry, I know this isn't your fault, but I just don't have time to deal with this right now" and walked out the automotive exit. My intuition was he knew his boundaries and had reached a point where he wanted to leave before the CSM showed up and he reacted by ripping his head off or otherwise going ape on him.

The clerk processed my brothers license and we left, there was still no CSM in sight at that point. I was a bit drained myself, typical letdown from a stressful situation, and was tempted to wait for the CSM and let loose on him myself but I figured stupid is as stupid does. If he keeps up that bad of service he might learn putting the baseball bat display on the shelf by the checkout counter might not be such a good idea. :rolleyes:

I really felt that the CSM had put the clerk in danger by taking so long to respond. I also felt I had been put in danger by proxy. I was not a happy camper when I left. :mad:

Wildalaska
June 24, 2009, 11:08 PM
don't know what it was, but he was getting me pretty taunt and wound up myself. In reflection part of it was his funny way of standing mostly very still. Try doing that for minutes on end, it's not natural. Towards the end he did start pacing around a bit, I don't remember if he was clinching his hands into fists while standing or not, but I do remember him thumping the counter a time or two with a closed fist about 8 min in or so. He was still very contained though, in that it wasn't really directed at anyone.

Gawd dude you ought to see me when I have to wait unecessarily, I make that guy look like hes a yogi....I would run your hinkymeter off the scales and I am a scruffy, nasty looking creature on top of it with the personality of a constipated badger when I am in a good mood;)

WilddontshootmeatwalmartokAlaska TM

O did I mention....THE BIG VICTORY :)

hogdogs
June 24, 2009, 11:25 PM
Unlike WA, I don't wait... I tell the "clerk" "nebbermind, I will git the CSM my dern self!" And off I go... I look fer a fancy button down shirt and snag 'em!
they often seem to appease me just to keep their throat intact... It is either me or I will sic mrs.hogdogs (virtually a hungry bulldog with a yappin ankle biter 'tween her and a feed dish...) on 'em!:D:eek: And TEE-RUST MEEEEE... that irate beer buyer don't wanna keep her from getting her goods across the laser so her milk don't get hot!!!
Brent

djohn
June 25, 2009, 12:16 AM
Everytime I go to walmart there is no customer service in any department I need help in.I got in trouble by a store manager when I bought a bicycle for my son and the one he wanted was on the top metal rack.

They paged for someone to that department but after ten minutes, I said *** out load and then spotted a big metal step ladder on wheels:D I rolled the baby over climbed up and pull the bike out of the rack.Just as I got half way down the steps Some one comes along to see me on the ladder.:eek: My wife was laughing because I got caught red handed.I got the speech about the insurance and employees only yada yada yada.

cloud8a
June 25, 2009, 03:11 AM
While wildalaska is just looking for that special attention he so disparately needs I will say that it is typical for a person to lash out at authority from time to time.

Walmart has a display that says if you appear to be over 40 you will be carded. Some folks take being carded as a complement of looking younger. Others take it as an abuse of power.

I ask, even though wildalaska has no credibility, what does this thread have to do with firearms? Two pages of no firearm talk and it is still going.

Warhammer
June 25, 2009, 04:03 AM
Having worked in retail before, I find that knowing how to work the store's PA system is invaluable in these situations. The CSM and Store Manger may ignore their own employees, but it's amazing how quickly they move when a customer announces to the whole store, "Hey can we get some help in Sporting Goods? This poor cashier has called for a manger five times and I have places to go. Could we either get a manager over here or could someone give me the number to your corporate office so I can complain about the slow service in this store?"

Works every time!:cool:

pax
June 25, 2009, 08:49 AM
KingEdward, it sounds to me as if you did the right thing and de-escalated the situation.

One thought, in re this comment: "like, you don't know all the facts so keep quiet and don't intervene" -- I would venture to say that in this situation, you knew all the facts you needed to know, because you saw the situation unfold from the beginning. If you had just walked in while it was happening, that would have been a different situation. But having watched it from the beginning you knew the situation well enough to figure what sort of intervention could legally & morally be made.

cloud ~

Given that most of the people posting here would be armed in such situations, and that the topic has remained strongly on the tactics one could use to defuse & de-escalate the situation so that their firearm would remain unneeded, the thread is on topic for this forum so far. It could go either way, though, so we'll keep an eye on it.

pax

B. Lahey
June 25, 2009, 11:25 AM
I will say that it is typical for a person to lash out at authority from time to time.

If you see cashiers at Walmart as "authority", I can't imagine what lowly role you must play in our society.

Idiots lash out at clerks for the opposite reason, they are easy targets with no auth-or-i-tah at all. They are the only people professional bums, drunks, and crackheads have any contact with that they feel they can push around.

Hogdogs shows his true nobility by aiming his displeasure at lazy managers.

FireForged
June 25, 2009, 11:52 AM
At the first indication that the fellow was a nut.. I would have called 911 and reported a crazy man "going off" in (store name.... location).

This is my mindset: If my failure to act (physically) right here and right this second, will result in a innocent person being seriously injured... I will take physical action against a bad-guy. This does not mean that I am going to hang around to see "what if this or what if that" is going to happen. If there is an indication of trouble(enough to alarm me), I will call 911 and get myself away from danger/trouble. It is better to have Police arrive sooner than later. That fellow could have very easily been getting any number of things out of his car. His actions from the start were unreasonable.. I admit that we all have said a thing or two when stressed that we probably should not have, but to rant and rant like this fellow is a indication to me that he has deeper issues.

I am glad that this situation worked out.. I am not saying your actions were wong, just that I "probably" would have acted different.

jfrey123
June 25, 2009, 12:05 PM
Fortunately in NV there isn't a legal obligation to disarm for a private business posting a "no firearms" sign, they carry no weight of law.

I think many of us have had a similar situation thrust upon us, one for me happened in a 7-11 around 7pm during one Winter. Guy was yelling when I got in, apparently upset that his gas pump wasn't working. Clerk straightened it out, then the guy left. Couple minutes later as I was paying for my slurpee or whatever, he came back in yelling and cursing a storm. Proceeded straight to the clerk, I had already stepped back and out of his way. He was yelling about the pump still not working, saying the clerk put his money on the wrong pump, demanded refund, etc.

Clerk handled it pretty well, looked at dude and told him "You need to push the little button and turn it on"... Guy looked ready to explode, but the realization that his anger and issues were all his own fault quickly calmed him down and he left without incident.

These situations very rarely would produce the need for a firearm, IMHO only if the aggressor produced a weapon of his own. But the thought that I had my CCW (only had it for about 2 months prior) was very comforting.

ilbob
June 25, 2009, 12:48 PM
In the end, no physical aggression (other than he grabbed at the beer) and no crime committed.
so no reason for you to become involved.

KingEdward
June 25, 2009, 12:55 PM
correct, not physically involved.

At the time he was really seeming to boil and rock back and forth was when
I moved forward and made some noise of my own and said the comment.

I felt that had he stayed honed in on her, and only her, he was going to lash out.

TailGator
June 25, 2009, 02:30 PM
The part of your story that made my hair stand up a little was when you said he went out to his car and came back. Glad he went for his ID card.

KingEdward
June 25, 2009, 02:59 PM
suffice it to say I had my eyes on him.

When he leaned in and was digging around in the car (which was about 75 feet away outside) the thought hit me,

"what if he comes back in with something way worse than an id card?"

that would have probably caused me to back away for a moment and
dial 911.

markj
June 25, 2009, 04:15 PM
Gotta be carefull around folks like that. We were in a mickey Ds years ago, a guy was giving the cashier a very hard time making her so nervous she couldnt ring him out. This guy was like 6'6 or so built good in dressy clothes too. The young kid behind the grill was telling the girl how to work the register he was of African descent, the guy said a very rude thing to the kid, I turns to a friend of mine as we were still waiting to order and tole her that old bigots do go away after they die and quit wasting the air. That guy hit me with his tray, on it was some of that nortoriously hot coffee. It hurt. I slammed him to the ground and told him I didnt work there and he couldnt treat me that way when my friends grabbed me and pulled me off. The cops came, I got a free breakfast and a small burn. I never would have thought anyone would react that way but he did and so fast I had no way to avoid the tray as it hit my head.

I had a cousin that was in a store, guy ran past him with a case of beer, my cousin chased him down and held him till the cops got there, cousin got his stuff free from the store. Sadly he passed away awhile ago.

Stuff hits the fan it goes so quick your head will spin.

When a guy I was escorting out of the bar one night took 2 steps turned and emptied a .25 at me, missed me but the shorts took a beating that night. Was so fast All I could do is drop and roll under a truck. It happens fast then all you can do is hang on and go for the ride.

djohn
June 25, 2009, 06:30 PM
When I was a child my dad took me to his job Amtrak-Railroad to show me the train engines at the diesel shop.Little did I know there was this big bulley that use to pick on him.He was a big guy over 6ft 200lbs or better and my dad was 5'5 170.My dad always turned the other cheek in fear of lose of his job perhaps some fear of the big guy.

My dad took me at a time this guy normally does not work but so happens was working overtime that day and my dad had a run in with this guy.The guy was breaking his chops and I guess my dad had enough and the next I remember was this big dude out cold on the concrete floor. It happen so fast I didn't even see the punch that dad layed on his jaw but just heard a strange crack sound.Needless to say the guy stayed clear from dad from that point on.I guess it is true the hand is quicker then the eye.

ImprobableJoe
June 25, 2009, 06:36 PM
The thing is, while the time where you need to draw a firearm will come with no warning and little time to make the call, the times where you don't need to draw at all make up the VAST majority of cases. Most times in these situations, ANYONE standing up to the bully will make him back down. In the few situations left, the other person is unlikely to be able or willing to apply deadly force.

We don't live in the Wild West, and thank goodness for that. Also, thank goodness that you were there and able to apply the correct amount of pressure to make an idiot back down.

jondar
June 28, 2009, 07:45 AM
I guess I too am missing something here. If, as the OP mentioned that the Asian man appeared to be between 40 and 50, why was the clerk asking for proof of age?

MLeake
June 28, 2009, 09:00 AM
Happens to me all the time. While I look young for my age, I don't look under 30. It's just that many stores have corporate policies requiring cashiers to card anybody who isn't obviously AARP eligible.

Don't take it personally. The cashier is just trying to avoid getting fired.

jondar
June 28, 2009, 09:39 AM
Quote: "Don't take it personally." No, I don't, I was carded till I was thirty four or thirty five. Loved it. But I think the Asian gentleman just cracked under the irritation due to the abject stupidity that has begun to permeate the atmosphere. Following your theory this would be the management of the store.

Yankee Traveler
July 1, 2009, 05:56 PM
KingEdward, I witnessed a similar situation in Clarksville a couple of weeks ago.
Convieniance store gas pump was out of receipt paper and forced me inside. There was only two other people in the store when I entered and theywere approaching the counter from different angles. The man, about fifty, from the chip rack at my 11:00 with chips. The woman, 45ish, from the coolers, at my 3:00 with a twelve pack.
We were all equal distance from the counter at my 10:00 so I eased to my right and let them fight over who is first. As I assumed a position 2 yards to their 6:00 the woman put her intended purchase on the counter and the clerk, woman-30ish asked for ID. the woman patron stated she didn't have one. Clerk stated she couldn't sell. Woman got Angry and insisted. Clerk didn't budge but showed signs of being nervous. Then the man stepped forward and said he would buy the beer. Clerk stood her ground and said she could not sell beer to someone who was obviously going to purchase it for someone else. He got MAD and approached the counter, clerk stepped back, he slammed the counter with his fist and cussed and swore...clerk took another step back very frightened and reiterated her inability to sell...
He said he would take his business elsewhere and turned to leave. There I was, now 90 degrees to his left, with my arms folded behind my back. He jumped as he had obviously forgottenmy presense during his mini conniption.
The woman also left and they got in the same car. The visibly shaken clerk came back forward appologizing and fumbleing with the cash register.
I just said "That would have really sucked if you had sold them the beer just to find out one of them was from the liquor board" she felt pretty good at that.

Ricky B
July 2, 2009, 10:51 PM
Clerk stood her ground and said she could not sell beer to someone who was obviously going to purchase it for someone else.

I know we have a rule against straw buyers for guns.

And I know adults are not permitted to buy alcohol for minors.

But is there a law that prohibits an adult from buying alcohol for someone else who is clearly an adult (a 45ish woman)?

Shadi Khalil
July 2, 2009, 10:59 PM
I dont get how or why a weapon would be of any use in this situation. Why did you feel like you were in danger?

Yankee Traveler
July 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
"But is there a law that prohibits an adult from buying alcohol for someone else who is clearly an adult (a 45ish woman)?"

She could not prove that she was 45ish any more then she could prove she was 22ish. She (or you or I...) are all les then 21 unless we can provide proof otherwise. Therefore, he would have been purchaseing for a minor.

Lost Sheep
July 3, 2009, 03:38 PM
cloud8a
(edited for brevity and focus)
what does this thread have to do with firearms? Two pages of no firearm talk and it is still going.
Because this is "Tactics and Training". Tactics do not require a firearm. In fact, quite often, tactics improve without a gun.

Lost Sheep

(Subject line paraphrased from the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madre")

comn-cents
July 3, 2009, 03:49 PM
Ya there are a lot of corp. policies that say they must check all ID if liq is purchased. My job isn't worth losing to sell liquor to someone without ID.
If a co. gets caught selling it they can lose their license to sell. What is that going to cost them? Plus if the often the person selling it will get a very large fine. Not worth it!
In my state you must have ID on you at all time, its the law.

Sportdog
July 5, 2009, 12:17 AM
Run, call the police. Don't risk being charged with a crime or having a civil case against you.:rolleyes: