PDA

View Full Version : Shooting tips for Mosin nagants?

Peptobismol9
June 14, 2009, 07:04 PM
I was born and raised shooting bolt actions in 243. and 30-06, and semi auto guns in 22. When I turned 13 I picked up a Yugo sks for my birthday. I can hit a deer straight between the eyes a mile away. So it suprised me to find out I couldnt hit a paint can hanging on a bush 13 ft. away. I got to where I can shoot about 50 yards and hit bullseye with the sks. Now almost 4 years later I got a Mosin nagant, and Its a reacurring problem. The first two shots were at 50 yards. My first shot found its place in the center of a water jug. The second shot found its place directly next to the first, with the edge of the bullet hole touching the previous. After that, I was off atleast 5 to 6 inches, not hitting the jug more than once after. So i was hoping I might come across someone who can give me some good advice about using iron sights on a mosin nagant.

srt 10 jimbo
June 14, 2009, 07:08 PM
I put a red dot on mine, problem solved:D

Peptobismol9
June 14, 2009, 07:10 PM
Where might I get a red dot, and how much would it cost me?

azredhawk44
June 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
I can hit a deer straight between the eyes a mile away.

:rolleyes:

Can't make a claim like that without some sort of proof. ;)

I've got a Mosin 91/30 from which I've launched about a thousand rounds or so.

Those things get HOT.

Add to the fact, you have a two piece stock (main stock and top handguard). The handguard is affixed to the stock via some weak, wobbly spring clips that shake around during recoil.

In its original stock, my Mosin has a tendency to "walk" its handguard forward on top of the barrel and vibrate oddly against the front sight.

As a remedy, I've removed the action from the original stock and put it in an ATI fiberglass stock with no handguard. Consistency between shots, even when the barrel heats up, improved remarkably. I still find my shots stringing vertically as the barrel gets hot, with later shots impacting above the earlier shots. I'm not certain if it's a function of a change in barrel harmonics from heat, or an after-effect of the heat mirage coming off the barrel.

But, it did eliminate drastic impact variation that used to happen when the handguard shifted around.

Peptobismol9
June 14, 2009, 07:15 PM
Im setting a photoshack up right now. I will get your proof. I will also post some gun pics most likley. It did get hot really quick, and it did come across my mind that it might be what happened. But that was only two rounds before I started missing. I also refuse to put anything but wood and metal on this gun.

Peptobismol9
June 14, 2009, 07:19 PM
Can anyone tell me somewher besides photoshack that I can host images. It says "Sorry there is no album where you are allowed to upload files"

Peptobismol9
June 14, 2009, 10:30 PM
http://photoshack.com/displayimage.php?pos=-31180
Thats the best pic I can get because the OS on my computer somehow manages to delete itself last week. Not to many pics except what was on the flash drive. I will try my freinds camera.

sc928porsche
June 15, 2009, 08:14 AM
Just remember that the target has to be 5,280 feet away! 1000 yds equals 3000 feet

srt 10 jimbo
June 15, 2009, 08:23 AM
I got my base at centerfiresystems.com you can get a scope through them, wich I did or get a red dot at outdoorworld . paid 69 dollars for mine. works pretty good.:)

Citizen Carrier
June 15, 2009, 08:31 AM
You might also look at the Mojo sight. Had one on an M44 I used to own. better deal than the standard rear sight.

stubbicatt
June 15, 2009, 09:20 AM
Couple of things it could be, or that I have experienced with these rifles.

The front sight is not properly staked in its dovetail, and is walking back and forth under recoil.

Action screws shoot loose sometimes after a couple of shots. Action shifts in the stock.

You might verify that the action screws are nice and snug (not over tightened) and that the front sight is firmly staked down. --I look at the muzzle end of the front sight, and typically you will see two really strong strikes on the front sight base that align properly with similar strikes on the front sight proper.

If these are your issues, you could fix it right up very quickly.

Peptobismol9
June 15, 2009, 09:59 AM
I will have to check that out. I got my handsfull right now. thanks for the advice.

XLT
June 15, 2009, 10:05 AM
I will have to check that out. I got my handsfull right now.

Hard work finding that pic of your mile long handiwork, huh? :D

Peptobismol9
June 15, 2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah. I sent my old hard drive to dell last week to get them to try and recover my files. I had alot of songs on Itunes and pics of my Grandpa who is now dead. So heres hoping that it works out or I will just try my freinds camera when I get the chance.

Peptobismol9
June 15, 2009, 02:32 PM
I did check in google earth. The area is called truck trail 17. I was shooting Nw-ish. Coordinates are 30()42.08.83''N and 87()39'56.40''W . It was down a Dirt road for 1.39 miles. I shot a 110 savage 30-06. wind was crap so it took 3 shots to get satisfying results. I did something similar a few years back, but I tied ribbons to various points along my path to help detect Windage.

ksstargazer
June 16, 2009, 02:18 PM
Probably something is loose or binding on the mosin. As your barrel heats up, the shots are moving due to the binding. Tighten all the screws ans see if that helps.
I can barely see a deer at 1/2 mile - and you can see ribbons out to a mile?
Wow!

RockyTop
June 16, 2009, 02:24 PM
I luv the internet :D

grymster2007
June 16, 2009, 02:29 PM
I always think of this guy when I shoot my Mosins.

Shooting a Mosin (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2855144&postcount=10)

in this thread

Soviet/Russian rifles (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2855144#post2855144)

PRONE2
June 16, 2009, 03:32 PM
Holy cr*p Batman!!
A one mile 7.62x39 shot between the eyes! sign this kid up for the TEAMS!!
about fell out my seat LOL

TrentJ
June 16, 2009, 04:38 PM
I took the original sights off my 91/30 and JB Welded on some sights off a remmington .22 rifle, it doesn't really shoot much better but I like the sights better. I also cut the front portion of the stock off and removed the top piece of the hand gaurd, believe it or not these rifles can be made uglier.

By the way, avoid making outlandish remarks about shooting a mile away, you will only be criticized around here.

grymster2007
June 16, 2009, 04:44 PM
I also cut the front portion of the stock off and removed the top piece of the hand gaurd, believe it or not these rifles can be made uglier.Guess it just takes a better man than me. :)

By the way, avoid making outlandish remarks about shooting a mile away, you will only be criticized around here. Whut????

csmsss
June 16, 2009, 05:13 PM
I can hit a deer straight between the eyes a mile away.Grymster, the OP stated the above in his initial post. Given that a mile is just a hair under 1800 yards, and that the distance between a deer's eyes is just a few inches, that's quite a prodigious assertion.

Atticus Thraxx
June 16, 2009, 07:38 PM
"I can hit a deer straight between the eyes a mile away"

I read it as just a way of making a point, not to be taken literally.

Maybe focus on answering the question he asked, which I can't help him with.

My M39 punishes me everytime I shoot it. We are no longer on speaking terms.

Thermodyne
June 17, 2009, 07:31 PM
MN's really benefit from cutting the stock down at the rear band. Exposing the barrel to the air. Then relieve the barrel channel and pillar bed it with some nice hard maple dowels. Glass it in and see if it doesn't shoot a lot better for about 5 bucks.

MagnumWill
June 17, 2009, 09:36 PM
"I can hit a deer straight between the eyes a mile away"

I read it as just a way of making a point, not to be taken literally.

+1

I have three M/N's, the best solutions I have for keeping them accurate:

-make sure the bolts are tight! not REALLY tight, but you know, wrist tight.

-Wait a little in between shots, +1 to them getting pretty darn hot.

-Sand out the barrel channel, so any stray wood grain in there isn't messing with anything.

-make sure its clean! :)

-and put a P/U scope on it :D

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/13/l_353f5d7f2797b6aa3b5942299c6c75cb.jpg

BigDaddy
June 17, 2009, 10:00 PM
Uh, I think AZREDHAWK wanted proof of the shooting a deer between the eyes at a mile -- not that you have a Mosin Nagant. That would be quite a shot indeed. :D

--Dave

Crankylove
June 17, 2009, 11:40 PM
You may think its nuts, but if your Mosin has a bayonet attached like my M44, make sure it is in the extended position when you fire the gun. My Mosin shows noticable inprovments in accuracy and grouping with the bayonet extended vs. folded. Sounds like a crock of bull.......but after I heard about it, I tried it, and it works. I was told the rifles with attached bayonets were designed to be fired with them extended, and shooting with them folded alters the gravitational pull of the universe in relation to the rotation of the Earth and the triggering of solar flares, or something to that affect (seriously, I had it explained to me, why it would effect the gun, but it was all engineering giberish, which left me dazed and confused) Give it a try, what ya got to lose?

D-E-T-O-X
June 17, 2009, 11:45 PM
you do know that m44's were sighted with the bayo's extended right?

Crankylove
June 18, 2009, 11:41 AM
you do know that m44's were sighted with the bayo's extended right?

Yep. Lots of people I tell to shoot it with the bayonet extended, think its just a joke. But, they were sited in with it extended, and however that affects the accuracy, it does make a difference. Maybe its the hot gases being expelled at the muzzle hitting the bayonet and moving the muzzle a bit, maybe its harmonics in the barrel........I dunno, but I do see an improvement with extended instead of folded.

Peptobismol9
June 18, 2009, 09:23 PM
Lol. A mile is considerably easy when you have been shooting all your life. I am the type that dosent go outside unless im shooting or going to school where even then I take target practice in JROTC. I spend my time on researchin, maintaining, and collecting firearms. I am very farsighted. I also recently began focusing on balance training So laugh an laugh. But I outshoot you anyday. I love how people readily beleive a Marine Sniper With 5 years training can shoot 2 miles, but refuse to beleive someone who spends atleast 3 hours a day focusing on marksmanship 12>5 hmmm .... People Are really rediculous. Im not claiming to be capable to 2 mile shots, but 1 mile is easy . Especially on gas lines. By the way, I didnt say I make 1 mile shots with an sks. That would be impossible. Or I shouldnt say impossible, but roughly the equivalent of hitting a fly with a rock 10 yards away.

paladin-34
June 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
Look I don’t know what the rest of your problem are with that statement. When I was young and had lots of time and little $$$$. We used to shoot the points of the dears antlers with 22’s. but the real fun was after the first point was taken and they started to run.

Man, your jerking the trigger.

Joe

Todd1700
June 19, 2009, 02:48 AM
Im not claiming to be capable to 2 mile shots, but 1 mile is easy .

What size target are you talking about hitting from a mile away? Because if you are talking about any normal sized rifle target then no it is definately not easy to score hits from a mile. And anyone who says it is easy is just proving their lack of knowledge.

But I outshoot you anyday.

I seriously doubt that. But your posts have been good for a laugh.

RedneckFur
June 19, 2009, 04:55 AM
1 MOA at a mile would be almost 2 feet in diameter. Shooting a deer between the eyes (say, about 2 inches? ) would be all but impossible, even for some the best, professional benchrest shooters.

Nothing wrong with bragging, but at least keep it belivable.

That said, Keep in mind that the Mosin Nagant has a pretty thin barrel, with alot of things touching it along its legnth. The hotter the barrel gets, the more likely it is to bend from heat or pressure (likely both) let the rifle cool between shots, and you'll see better results.

If you're not afraid to go to work with some sandpaper, you could in theory sand out the barrel channel and remove some of the pressure points on the barrel.

I think its impossible to free-float a mosin-nagant in its factory stock.

Todd1700
June 19, 2009, 05:39 AM
I think its impossible to free-float a mosin-nagant in its factory stock.

I think you are right but I have heard of people using cork to bed the barrel out near the end of the forearm. A google search online would probably lead you to a better description of the process than I could give.

Todd1700
June 19, 2009, 05:48 AM
Try this link

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu63.htm