PDA

View Full Version : I finally understand varmint hunting.

MuscleGarunt
May 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
For the longest time I felt that varmint hunting was unethical, cruel and just wrong. Well, today I changed my mind. For the last few months I have been having this problem with crows around my place. After feeding the animals the crows come in and eat whatever grain the livestock leave behind, I was fine with that. Then I started to notice the livestock water was getting dirty very fast, half eaten worms and grain as well as large pieces of dung. I though it funny that the animals would crap in their water.

So the other day I am walking through the yard and I see this crow up on the water bucket dropping stuff in the water, why, I don't know maybe to soften it up for eating later. So it suddenly dawns on me why I have been having to change the water out every other day.

So all day I am trying to get this crow, but the damn things are really smart. Finally I got him, heart shot with a 22-WMR, dropped him instantly, no twitching, no flailing, no flapping nothing, just dropped him like a brick.

So morale of the story, I finally understand varmint hunting. You own some property, livestock, whatever, said animal is being destructive, a nuisance. You kill said animal to make your life easier.

ddeyo1
May 26, 2009, 11:55 PM
amen

Buzzcook
May 27, 2009, 12:26 AM
Crows don't rate high enough to be called varmints.

Hellbilly5000
May 27, 2009, 02:26 AM
Crows don't rate high enough to use a 22 on em use a good pellet gun instead, In the long run it will save you a lot of money, A good stuffed scare crow is always good too

butta9999
May 27, 2009, 02:42 AM
I love Varmint hunting, plenty of it in Australia... Goodluck with your new venture.

Dingoboyx
May 27, 2009, 04:27 AM
Apart from Russle Crow, that is.... are less than, less than varmints.... in fact, they are about the same as rodents.... Hmmm sky rats? yup, thats about right :D

Here in Oz, me and some of my gyrocopter mates used to chase crows & Cockatoos away from crops (especially grapes) in our Gyro's.... had to chase roos and Emus out of wheat fields too. , was fun :D

One of the guys decided to shoot a few from the gyro... Never boring in Oz :D

kiwi56
May 27, 2009, 05:16 AM
Had the same problem with Magpie's over here, fixed them with the 223 improved longest shot so far was 190 yards. It is amazing how far the feathers fly when they get hit with a 55 grain Nosler Balistic tip leaving the rifle at around 3600 ft per second. For the American shooters the Magpie is a bird slightly smaller than a crow but just as bigger pest.

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
May 27, 2009, 05:33 AM
G'day. Muzza you might be giving Russel to much credit. :eek:

On a more serious note. I know Sheep farmers that want every crow, fox, dog and cat shot on sight. They do so much damage to lambs being born it is not funny. Don't spare the powder, no cartridge is too big.

kayakersteve
May 27, 2009, 05:35 AM
I used to feel bad about people shooting woodchucks. After looking into it and discussing with the local grape farmers, I chnaged my mind. They all had a story or two about broken axels, flat tires and damaged tractors from hitting woodchuck holes in the vineyard isles. Now I can presue them and feel I am doing a good thing.

Dingoboyx
May 27, 2009, 05:50 AM
That must be where that saying "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" :confused:;)

& you know what my answer to that is??:eek:

Chucked if I know :D

ddeyo1
May 27, 2009, 12:02 PM
not to mention borken cow legs from woodchuck holes. ill tell ye a cow worth 1800 breakin its leg in a chuck hole will change yer mind, and generally make you want to annihalate woodchucks from the face of the earth.

Kendo
May 27, 2009, 12:15 PM
Muscle, now you need a crow call, couple cases of shotgun shells,and three or four buddies. You talk about a hoot. :D

hogdogs
May 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
Keep your kills as decoys during the shoot. If wounded tie some fish line to their leg and to a little stake or twig sappling and it will really draw in their buddies...
Brent

4406v
May 27, 2009, 02:32 PM
Get a Johnny Stewart game caller (electronic)with the crow fighting hawk tape,a case of shells and a few buddies.Kill the first one to come in (the scout) and use the dead as decoys.It is so much fun and great wingshooting practice.I have old Pennsylvania Game News from the 50's and 60's they literally show guys with pick up trucks full of dead crows in almost every issue.I had a friend invite me to go crow hunting early one spring day before turkey season came in and I figured I had nothing else to do why not?? I had so much fun I went out and bought all the stuff I would need to introduce someone else to the sport.We killed about 30 crows that day and I've been hooked ever since.

Yithian
May 27, 2009, 06:31 PM
"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

A woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Brian Pfleuger
May 27, 2009, 06:42 PM
If you think you understand it now then you really need to see what it's like just after sunrise, while the dew is still on the ground, the birds are singing in the trees.... and you can see through your scope the pink mist hanging in the air where moments before there was a woodchuck.:eek::D

MuscleGarunt
May 27, 2009, 06:52 PM
Wow, that would be intense. Yes, I need a crow call, have to check the sporting goods store downtown later. Maybe I can put that 100 bulk pack of 12 gauge skeet/bird shells too good use.

crowbeaner
May 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
Please note my nom de plume; it speaks volumes. Old Noir is the smartest bird that lives, and unlike a wild turkey, has the ability to reason and solve puzzles. They can live to 25 years of age, have 52 known "words" in their vocabulary, and think like union members. They post lookouts to watch for hawks and owls, and absolutely hate Great Horned Owls. They will harass an owl mercilessly, and eat a variety of disgusting things such as carrion, bugs, worms, and God knows what else. Vermin is the word I use; maybe some kinder people will call them varmints. 222 and 22-250 are my calibers of choice, and an exceptionally accurate rifle is a must for long range vaporization. The Speer 52 grain HP or TNT is the bullet of choice in my old M700, and I drive them just as fast as RL7, BLC2, and IMR 4198 will push them.

Brian Pfleuger
May 27, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, I need a crow call, have to check the sporting goods store downtown later. Maybe I can put that 100 bulk pack of 12 gauge skeet/bird shells too good use.

Indeed you DO understand!!:D Where mere days ago you wanted them to leave now you intend to CALL THEM IN!!!:D;) You've got the bug.

MuscleGarunt
May 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
Oh what have I become:eek::D:o

longcall911
May 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
Finally I got him, heart shot with a 22-WMR, dropped him instantly, no twitching, no flailing, no flapping nothing, just dropped him like a brick.

If I ever come over to visit and have a bunch of beers. . . I'll have to remember *not* to pee in the water trough. :rolleyes:

/*tom*/

Buzzcook
May 27, 2009, 10:45 PM
Just thought I'd add that you should take care not to shoot ravens, thinking they're crows.

Ravens are larger, Ravens have a pointed tail, crows are more rounded fan shaped. Ravens wing tips are pointed and crows more blunt.

MuscleGarunt
May 27, 2009, 11:08 PM
Ravens have a slightly curved beak too and are twice the size of the northwestern crow.:D

hogdogs
May 28, 2009, 12:45 AM
Even the smaller crow is a thick sumbuck... I use no less than 6 high brass but for the range they usually stat out to, I need #5 or 4 to really get one shot kills... 7 1/2 seem to bounce off at 25-30 yards.
Brent

crowbeaner
May 28, 2009, 08:32 PM
Brent; I have just the load for you. I use it for long range birds of all feathers including black colored ones.

RP 2 3/4" hi brass Unibody hull, black or green
WW 209
33.0 of IMR SR 4756
RP 12 wad
1 1/4 oz. of the best Lawrence shot; copper plated is the cat's meow. Magnum #4,#5 or# 2
1340 fps. at 10,000 lup
KICKS LIKE HELL> KILLS BIRDS AT 70 YARDS WITH EXTRA FULL CHOKES!

BobR
May 28, 2009, 09:28 PM
Here in WA we have an abundance of each (ravens and crows) so it is even more important to be able to distinnguish between the two.

A 220 Swift is just the ticket for these things. :D

http://depts.washington.edu/natmap/facts/crow_vs_raven.html

bob

cornbush
May 28, 2009, 10:48 PM
My neighbors never complained about 22 short CB's

James R. Burke
May 31, 2009, 11:25 AM
I feel a alittle differnt about crow shooting. 30-06 110 Grain V-Max and a red mist.

MuscleGarunt
May 31, 2009, 01:08 PM
Wow, there would be nothing left.:eek:

BLS700
May 31, 2009, 11:32 PM
I was actually having the same moral issue as you with shooting things I don't eat. I still have mixed feelings about it but I realize it has to be done and its another reason to hunt which I love so there you go. You found yourself a good reason to hunt something else.

BLS700
May 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
Also in response to Mr. Burke's comment about the 30-06 on a crow let me just say way to be efficient. I've used a .308 with a 168 gr matchking before. It does get the job done.

taz1
June 1, 2009, 09:29 PM
meanies-- i raised a crow from just hatched--named it fred:D

every one said aww its just gonna die---damn thing ate anything:eek:---

taught it to fly and the hunt fest was on he would fly around and get all the locals after him and fly home to popa and hop around the huge maple tree while i picked them off with my .22:p

peeza's right-- happiness is a red vapor---22-250 makes em go poof :D:D:D

hogdogs
June 1, 2009, 09:49 PM
A couple cajun brothers I grew up around had pet crow who had a large vocabulary but unfortunately most was not suitable around ladies or young kids...:D
Brent

BLS700
June 1, 2009, 11:37 PM
this conversation is giving me the bad feeling that I'm going to end up obsessed with crow hunting next year.

davebig
June 3, 2009, 03:11 PM
you will, it is very satisfying and necessary.

srt 10 jimbo
June 3, 2009, 06:55 PM
I got a pet Squirrel, Hammy , raised her from a little baby. she sits on my shoulder while I walk around and acts like a Kitten on steroids. :D

Xwrench3
June 3, 2009, 08:14 PM
yep, killing crows with my 22 mag is wonderful times. stinking rotten air vermon. plus, their caw-caw-caw will drive anyone nutz. the only bad thing about it is they close off half the year so the dumb things can bring more of them into the world. i dont get to see much else running around, the dog scares most of them away. in a way, i'd like to see what is out there, might be a lot of fun. but i do not want anything bad to happen to the dog just to find out.

MuscleGarunt
June 3, 2009, 10:57 PM
Up here you can take crows year round if you catch them in an act of depradation.:D

zeisloft
June 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
Another easy way to tell the difference between crows and ravens, beyond size, is to listen to them, crows make the high pitched “CAW”, ravens have the low and solemn “nevermore”
~z

BIGR
June 4, 2009, 08:48 PM
Glad you finally came around. Nothing like playing a crow and owl fight on the boom box and shooting a bunch of crows on a Saturday evening...:D

Art Eatman
June 5, 2009, 09:37 AM
There was a good bit of corn farming around Austin, Texas, when I was a kid. WW II era, for you newbies. We commonly saw very large flocks of crows. As more and more land went to cow pasture, the numbers declined. Rest assured that crows can do terrible things to Freddie Farmer's corn crop.

grymster2007
June 5, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have lots of crows and more ravens, but I don't farm or ranch, so I have no great desire to kill them. If I did, I guess I'd use an air rifle on the crows. The ravens are a lot bigger, so would a 1000fps pellet work on them?

Which war was that Art? :)

Art Eatman
June 5, 2009, 10:25 PM
I've never heard that ravens are pestiferous critters. Actually, I rather enjoy having them around. They're said to mate for life, among other things. I have a pair who hang around the house, sometimes, eating corn from the hen scratch I toss out in the yard for the quail, or cleaning up leftover kitchen scraps.

MuscleGarunt
June 6, 2009, 01:51 AM
Just wait till they are not getting enough corn and decide they would like to steal eggs.:mad:

Art Eatman
June 6, 2009, 08:55 AM
Well, now, if you train your hens to lay their eggs in the nests inside the chickenhouse, you don't have an egg-stealing problem except for snakes. :)

Para Bellum
June 8, 2009, 01:57 PM
That's why they're caller Vermin!

Vermin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vermin (in some dialect regions, Varmint[1] or Varmit) is a term applied to various animal species regarded as pests or nuisances and especially to those associated with the carrying of disease. Since the term is defined in relation to human activities, which species are included will vary from area to area and even person to person. The term itself derives from the Latin vermis, meaning worm, and originally had reference to the vermiform larvae of certain insects, many of which infest foodstuffs.[2] The term 'Varmint' dates as early as the first half of the sixteenth century (ca. 1530-1540s)[3].

Death from Afar
June 11, 2009, 09:48 PM
I love varmint hunting. Here, in the antipodes, we have big problems with rabbits. When I was a kid , i would go for a shot after dinner and shoot 20 rabbits, every day of the week. The record, on the neighbours place was 320- with a 10/22 and Winchester Ammo. Normally, on a weekends shooting trip, 6 of us will shoot around 700-1100 rabbits with shotguns and bolt action .223's etc. The Farmers love the guys i use- we shut gates, dont terrorise his stock, and drop off a bottle of gin every time we visit- and it saves him big coin in pest control.