PDA

View Full Version : 12Ga in a RCBS Rock Chucker?

Suicide*Ride
May 23, 2009, 07:28 AM
I'v been loading for about 10yrs, & want to start loading 12Ga rds but don't want to have to buy a whole new set-up for a handful of shells.

My question:

Can I buy a set of dies for my single stage Rock Chucker for 12Ga, & if so, what part# do I ask for & where can they be purchased? I don't see 12Ga dies listed @ RCBS's website (for their RC), or anywhere else for that matter.

I don't have the cash for a second press & I seldom shoot 12Ga so it wouldn't really be worth the investment. I just want to re-use the 40-50 hulls that I've saved over the yrs.

Thanks a bunch!!

SR:)

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
May 23, 2009, 07:41 AM
G'day. How many boxes of 12g could you get for the cost of your dies, wads, shot, powder and primers? I was told at our local clay target club that they can buy factory loads cheaper than reloading them. To get the consumables cheap you probably need to purchase high volumes.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
May 23, 2009, 07:54 AM
Your best bet would be to buy factory loads. Winchester Universal for like 5.50 a box of 25. Can barely reload them for that much. Shot prices are high now, which makes it not really worth it. But, I shoot about 2-300 shell a month and I reload them all on a cheap Lee Load all (just because I enjoy reloading). I don't shoot competitively, just with friends. Works great...and cheap. Good luck!

Suicide*Ride
May 23, 2009, 05:29 PM
Better off buying factory fodder than to start reloading was NOT what I expected to see!! :eek:

I don't shoot that much but have 500rds (factory loads) poked back & have saved between 40-50 high brass 3" hulls & figured a bag of wads, 2-3 hundred 209 primers, some shot, & a set of dies & I'd be in business!! :rolleyes:

If I could load 12Ga using my RC, it might be worth the effort to me if only because I love to roll my own! :D

12Ga & rimfire are the only rds I can't reload. Except for rimfire, I thought I'd find a few here who were doing that very thing.

freakshow10mm
May 23, 2009, 05:40 PM
So anyway, you need a shotgun press to load shotgun shells. A reloading press for loading metallic cartridges will not work.

A single stage MEC 600 JR will run $125 or so. Then you need hulls, wads, shot, powder, primers, and a manual. I load 20ga on a 600JR and load for less than $3.50 per box of 25rds. I do it because I enjoy it, not because I need the savings. I shoot maybe 200 rounds per year bird hunting.

Suicide*Ride
May 23, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks Freakshow!!!

You answered my question! I'll stop wasting my time looking for dies & start looking for a cheap little press!

Have a great Memorial Day to all!!! :D

gbcop
May 23, 2009, 06:40 PM
Best bet is to buy reloading supplies in bulk, only way to honestly save money. If you look around you can find shot for $25 for a 25# bag. Most places that carry it usually sell it between $35-45 bag.

jaguarxk120
May 23, 2009, 06:53 PM
Check on ebay for a used 600jr, but be careful and be sure of the prices. Sometimes you can get a deal and other times someone gets caught up in the bidding and pays much more than a new press costs new.

Also check on craigslist sometimes they show up there.

Kendo
May 23, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hey ride , I've been loading shotgun for a few years now. It's about like everything else, You probly wont save any money in the long run ,but if your married it's a dang good excuse to give the wife. Reloading shotshells is a hoot and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Check you're empty hulls though, in shotshell reloading a hull is not a hull is not a hull. Get specific recipees for specific hulls. Have fun. Oh yeah, you might check Ballistic Products Inc. for your components so far they are the cheapest I've found.

Edward429451
May 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
No no no. RCBS does make dies that will work in your rockchucker for 12 ga. You would have to remove the 1-1/2 X 7/8 bushing to use the dies and it does work as far as I know. I use my RC too much to want to fiddle with it so opted for a regular Mec press which churns em out rather nicely.

I know I could buy factory for cheaper...until it stops being available. Is anyone having difficulty finding particular ammo right now? Uh huh. Coincidently not SG ammo though, this time. I bought a slug mould and a drill press for crimping them in and will now not be affected by the market availability for SG fodder in the future. Thats worth payin a little extra for up front :D

frogo207
May 23, 2009, 08:32 PM
I have had good luck finding reloading equipment and supplies on Gunbroker.com. To bid you have to sign up but can check out the site without having to do so. Bought and sold several items there, 100% satisfied with them.

Nate1778
May 23, 2009, 08:35 PM
I know I will get flamed for this, but I love my Lee Load all. I only do about 500-1000 rounds a year and can do 100 in a couple hours in the evening. Loads are even and crimps are factory fresh. Just read the directions.

You can save money loading shotgun shells as I have not scene a box of shells under $6 in years. Maybe its where I live. You can get shot online at $24.99 a 25 pound bag if you buy two at a time. The other nice part about loading shot is you can tailor a round to fit your needs, to some extent. I like a bit lighter load and a 8.5 shot, it works well for me and is less wearing through a session. Just my .02, if you just want to give it a whirl give the Load-All a shot. If your wanting to load more then the above amount then move up.

.45 COLT
May 23, 2009, 09:19 PM
Craigslist can be a good place to look for a press. In the past year I've bought four MECs off them. (I don't need them, I just can't pass up a good deal). I got a 600jr 20 Gauge for $25, a 600jr 12 Gauge for $25 and a Sizemaster 12 Gauge for $45. Also got a Super 250 for $20, but I'll never use that one.

Nate1778
I know I will get flamed for this, but I love my Lee Load all.
Nothing wrong with the LEE. I still use one for 16 Gauge. I think most of the folks who are very negative about them have never used one. The LEE can turn out a quality load.

DC

snuffy
May 23, 2009, 09:29 PM
No no no. RCBS does make dies that will work in your rockchucker for 12 ga. You would have to remove the 1-1/2 X 7/8 bushing to use the dies and it does work as far as I know. I use my RC too much to want to fiddle with it so opted for a regular Mec press which churns em out rather nicely.

Are ya talkin about these dies?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=296286

They're for the all brass shells, won't work for modern plastic shells. RCBS used to make a 12 ga. set up for the rockchucker, but the mec loaders are so much better and faster, they didn't sell well.

I get sick and tired of hearing, "why reload shotgun shells when I can buy wally world's elcheapo shotgun loads"? My answer is because you can load shells cheaper than the cut rate foreign junk, AND they will surpass the quality by miles. You can duplicate the good winchester and remington AA and STS loads for a lot less than buying new. Buying magnum shot along with good wads will still cost less than the french or italian junk.

Edward429451
May 24, 2009, 08:29 AM
No thats not what I was talking about. I must be referring to the ones the dont sell anymore.

Getcha a Mec Grabber, a slug mould, and the crimper for it and be done with it!

The weird thing I noticed was my foster slugs recoiled significantly less than factory slugs and yet a higher velocity...weird. Same weight slugs.:confused:

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
May 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
Snuffy made an excellent point. I reload mainly AA hulls with quality components....so therefore I am duplicating the 7.50-8.50/box shells for about 5-5.50/box. But if you don't shoot frequently, the cost of the equipment may not be worth it. That is a decision you must make. You know that if you start reloading shotshells, you will inevitabley shoot more!! :D

On a side note, I reload cheap hulls with one ounce loads for screwing around with buddies shooting trap. For birds, I like to use my premium reloads.

IamLegend
May 24, 2009, 02:04 PM
Nate1778
I know I will get flamed for this, but I love my Lee Load all.

Nothing wrong with the LEE. I still use one for 16 Gauge. I think most of the folks who are very negative about them have never used one. The LEE can turn out a quality load.

DC

Not trying to steal the thread but I'm considering reloading shot gun shells for the first time because 16 gauge shells are getting hard to find. I would appreciate any advice and or information you would pass along. PM or emails would be welcome.

ratshooter
May 24, 2009, 04:05 PM
I have used a Lee Load All for years. I have one in 20ga. I haven't used it in 4+ years and just drug it out a couple of weeks ago. First I loaded some shells with #1 buck. Then I loaded 4 boxes up with some #8 shot. It was fun.

Shotshells are a little more trouble for me because of trying to figure out which wad goes with which hull and what base wad is being used. I am still confused a little. If you get it right it makes a nice looking shell. Get it wrong and the dang thing unfolds on you. Thats part of the fun.

I came into a 100 pounds of shot for free. That was a big influence to start reloading SG shells. If I bought all the stuff to load them I am not sure it would be worth it.

When I bought my loader it was $25. I just looked at a 12ga loader at midway and they were a little over $40. They work fine for what they are and what they cost.

snuffy
May 24, 2009, 07:14 PM
Iamlegend, here's a link to the lee load-all on midways site.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=750550

Then get this manual, considered by many to be "the bible" for shotshell reloading.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=887011

Then go to this website, ballistic products.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

They also have manuals AND any components you could possibly need.

darkgael
May 24, 2009, 07:50 PM
I have a set of the RCBS dies that are meant to be used to reload on a press like the Rockchucker. They are not the Cowboy dies linked earlier in this thread. I use them frequently when I want to make up a few shells as an experiment. I bought them some years ago from Huntington's. They produce a very nice shotshell.
Pete
Here's a link to a set from 4D: http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5272.html

.45 COLT
May 24, 2009, 09:51 PM
IamLegend

There's a lot of load data using the WAA16 Wad - only problem is, Winchester discontinued it years ago. Just recently CLAYBUSTER (http://www.claybusterwads.com/) came out with a clone, CB0100-16. They sent me some samples, they are a great wad.

DC

elkman06
May 24, 2009, 10:35 PM
Suicide, I have a Mec 600 jr that I don't need. How about we take this off stage and into PM world and talk trades if you are inclined?
elkman06

Suicide*Ride
May 25, 2009, 03:25 PM
darkgael said - I have a set of the RCBS dies that are meant to be used to reload on a press like the Rockchucker. They are not the Cowboy dies linked earlier in this thread. I use them frequently when I want to make up a few shells as an experiment. I bought them some years ago from Huntington's. They produce a very nice shotshell.
Pete

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5272.html
12 Gauge 4D Die Set 1 1/4"-12 Thread
Reloading Dies / Shotgun Reloading Dies

Item #: 4D12GAUGE
Tell A Friend
Favorites

Your Price: $187.09 / Each :eek::eek::eek:

WOW!! For $187.09 + tax & shipping, I sure hope they produce a very nice shotshell!!

Thanks Pete, but I can't swing that kind of change for a set of dies right now. :o

Ya'll have a great Memorial Day!! :)

SR

Suicide*Ride
May 25, 2009, 03:29 PM
Edward429451 said - I know I could buy factory for cheaper...until it stops being available. Is anyone having difficulty finding particular ammo right now? Uh huh. I will now not be affected by the market availability for SG fodder in the future. Thats worth payin a little extra for up front

+1! ;)

elkman06 - PM sent!

Ya'll have a great Memorial Day!! :)

SR

Ruger4570
May 25, 2009, 10:56 PM
Suicide: Good luck in hooking up and getting a MEC to reload your shells. As noted above, it is getting hard to actually "save" money with 12 and 20 guage shells against Wally World prices. Then again, as noted, you are ONLY comparing price, NOT quality of the product.
You ought to see how much money I REALLY save loading my 28 and .410 hulls. Real actual cost savings. It might be why I now shoot skeet with my 28 and .410 almost exclusively. :D

darkgael
May 26, 2009, 05:04 AM
SRide: WOW!! For $187.09 + tax & shipping, I sure hope they produce a very nice shotshell!!
Yeah, I hear that. I didn't pay anywhere near that when I bought the RCBS set years ago, not even considering inflation.
Pete

Suicide*Ride
May 26, 2009, 06:57 AM
Quote:
SRide: WOW!! For $187.09 + tax & shipping, I sure hope they produce a very nice shotshell!!

darkgael said - Yeah, I hear that. I didn't pay anywhere near that when I bought the RCBS set years ago, not even considering inflation.
Pete

Pete, I could've sworn that RCBS sold RC dies for 12Ga back around the time I got my press (1999) & I couldn't remember if the dies would work or were even still available hence my OP. I only wish I was into reloading as much back then as I am now.... :(

You know what they say about hindsight.... I'm sure there's a few Dem's thinking that very same thing right about now re: POTUS :rolleyes:

Ruger4570 said - Suicide: Good luck in hooking up and getting a MEC to reload your shells. As noted above, it is getting hard to actually "save" money with 12 and 20 guage shells against Wally World prices. Then again, as noted, you are ONLY comparing price, NOT quality of the product.

Thanks Ruger4570! The price of reloading 12ga isn't really an issue for me. I can't see buying a top of the line shotshell press just to have the ability to reload a couple hundred rds. of 12ga should I ever find the need to.

I have 17K+ rds. on hand (500=12ga), & have not bought factory fodder since 12 Sept 2001. (33 5rd boxes of 3" 000B) I can reload 10 diff. calibers (7 handgun & 3 rifle) & can't do anything w/12ga except look @ empty hulls.

I've never compared prices (ammunition or firearms) with wallyworld's because they buy it direct from the manuf. in such large quantities that nobody in the business can compete. :barf:

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread! Thanks also to the few who sent PM's w/ info re: inexpensive reloading gear for 12ga!! All very helpful to me in my quest!! Reloaders are definitely a RARE & FINE breed!!! :D:D:D