PDA

View Full Version : Best rust/corrosion protector?

kmullins
May 21, 2009, 01:52 PM
What, in your opinion/experience is the best product to use to keep firearms from rusting and corroding (both inside and outside, as well as in the bore)?

I've been using Ballistol but it isn't working that great for me.

I did some research and found Birchwood Casey Barricade and CLP. What do you use that works the best?

FALPhil
May 21, 2009, 03:11 PM
A dehumidifier. I keep my gun room at about 50%. I have no problems.

kmullins
May 21, 2009, 04:58 PM
A dehumidifier. I keep my gun room at about 50%. I have no problems.

Ok. Well I am in the process of getting a safe so it will definitely have a GoldenRod dehumidifier.

tailgunner6
May 21, 2009, 05:10 PM
EEZOX

Horseman
May 21, 2009, 08:24 PM
The goldenrod will be a huge improvement. I keep a $15 digital thermostat/humidistat in my gun room. Keep the relative humidity 50% or under and you're in good shape.

I've conducted my own corrosion tests for 6 years and save all the old tests. I've tested all the well known products be it oil, grease, wax, etc. These are the top performers from the over 20 tests I've conducted.
1.Gunslick Gun Seal
2.Breakfree CLP (originally invented to prevent flashrusting of parts prepped for plating)
3.Eezox (very toxic-contains Trichloroethylene)
4.Corrosion X (non-toxic)
5.Hoppe's Gun Grease, RIG grease, Outers Grease (need to be applied thick to be as effective as the afformentioned products)
6lOuters Gun Oil
7.Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade
8.Shooters Choice Rust Prevent

Several other products performed admirably. These are the ones that come to mind as consistent performers in all the different tests I've conducted.

Consistently poor performers were Rem-oil, Ed's Red(really a solvent), Hoppe's Lubricating Oil(basically just mineral oil), Mobil 1 motor oil, ATF, Ballistol .

If there's any product you're wondering about let me know. I've probably tested it.

Don P
May 21, 2009, 08:50 PM
Rig grease has served me well over the years.

smoakingun
May 21, 2009, 09:18 PM
rig grease definately, if you can still find it. I haven't seen it in brownells lately. LPSIII works well AND comes in a spray can.

kmullins
May 22, 2009, 12:38 AM
Horseman, the idea of a humidistat in the safe is genius. I would have never though of that.

Sounds like Gunslick Gun Seal is worth a shot...safe to use in the bores and everywhere else as well? Thanks.

jglenn
May 22, 2009, 11:23 AM
it has been discontinued from the maker according to Brownells

Corrsion-X is also very good

kmullins
May 22, 2009, 01:30 PM
Corrosion-X looks like a good product too...

Maromero
May 22, 2009, 01:47 PM
Corrosion-X

+2

orionengnr
May 24, 2009, 05:15 PM
Take a look at a couple of tests that were designed to answer that question.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Goatwhiskers
May 24, 2009, 06:19 PM
As an old gunsmith on the Gulf coast once asked me, do you oil or grease the outside of your car to protect the finish and keep it from rusting?

Horseman
May 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
As an old gunsmith on the Gulf coast once asked me, do you oil or grease the outside of your car to protect the finish and keep it from rusting?

That's an interesting concept. I've tested several waxes and they have a place in gun care. They do rank near the bottom in terms of rust protection from tapwater and saltwater in my tests though. Wax offers the advantage of never resinifying like some oils and greases. And rust has no problem living under grease if steel parts get condensation (bring a cold gun into a house).

The main reason we don't primarily wax is because blued or parkerized steel is much different than painted steel. Especially rough surfaces beadblasted or brushed are an ugly mess with wax in all the low spots. I use wax for closet queens or benchguns that get cleaned often and never subjected to rain or mud.

Shane Tuttle
May 25, 2009, 12:45 AM

Answer his question with a question: Does he use his car in the same manner he uses his guns?

EEZOX. It's the best. From the unscientific andecdotal testing I've performed and tests seen by others, it beats out everyone.

Horseman
May 25, 2009, 05:37 PM
EEZOX. It's the best. From the unscientific andecdotal testing I've performed and tests seen by others, it beats out everyone.

It's been at or near the top of all my tests too. I always like to mention it's the most toxic of all the products mentioned though. Trichloroethylene has been threatened to be banned in most products for a few years now. Granted you're not supposed to eat the stuff but it gives me a headache when I use it.

Other products will equal Eezox and are non-toxic. Corrosion-X is one of them.

orionengnr
May 30, 2009, 07:04 PM

Nope. Not true. If it were, I'd be using it. FWIW, I have a 6 oz can of Corrosion-X and it sits there gathering dust. Buy me a can of Eezox and I'll trade you.

Why? Read post #12, and the links it contains.

Corrosion-X is not bad.

Eezox is demonstrably better.

JohnLaird
May 30, 2009, 08:57 PM
Cosmoline/Packing Grease. :)

highrolls
May 30, 2009, 09:05 PM
Here is the Gulf Coast saltwater test. Worth a look I think.

http://www.slip2000.com/saltwatertest.html

FredT
May 31, 2009, 12:12 AM
How many of you guys have an automotive finish on your firearms? Ya, I thought so. I have one full can of the discontinued Rig (the best stuff) and a can that is almost empty.

Shane Tuttle
May 31, 2009, 12:23 AM

Tested CorrosionX along with Eezox. CorrosionX's specimen didn't hold up as well as Eezox's. CorrosionX is good. We use it in the aviation industry. But it isn't the best. Some people claim to use it as a lubricant which is like saying they use WD40 for lubricant/protectant. It has agents that may act as a lubricant to a certain degree, but it isn't designed for it.

The "toxic" nature in Eezox doesn't bother me one bit. It's not like I swim in the stuff. Heck, I'm exposed to MEK, Toluene, MPK, Jet fuel, Avgas, Kroil, LPS products, types of greases too numerous to list, etc. on a daily basis. A couple of drops of Eezox on a patch is the least of my worries.

Mike Irwin
May 31, 2009, 12:26 AM
I've used Johnson's Paste Wax for years with excellent results.

P97
May 31, 2009, 09:21 AM
I've use Eezox on all my guns for several years, and it beats anything that I have found.

kmullins
May 31, 2009, 11:20 PM
Eezox sounds like a winner. You guys like it in aerosol form or liquid form?

P97
June 1, 2009, 07:14 AM
I use both. Aerosol for getting inside the works, and liquid for covering the outside.

Wleoff
June 1, 2009, 07:46 AM
Try Renaissance wax on the metal. It's a micro-crystalline wax polish, whatever that means. A friend, who does firearm restoration at the Smithsonian, recommended to me. Only problem, it's expensive at $25 for a can at Midway or Brownell's.

I use Breakfree Collector oil on the inside of the barrels for longer storage. I liked RIG, too, but it's no longer available.

4V50 Gary
June 1, 2009, 08:07 AM
For a gun you're not shooting? Rennaisance Wax. Developed by the British Museum and used by museums worldwide, it is PH neutral and microcystalline. Rub in a light coat and voila! Buy it at Woodcraft.

ZeSpectre
June 1, 2009, 08:18 AM
I have a "rust promoting" body chemistry (must be the red hair or something) so I have to use extra care with any metals I handle.

For whatever reason the absolute fastest corroding things I regularly come into contact with are the grip screws on my SIG 229 pistols. In my lexicon if something will keep those damned screws clean then it's a good product.

Having said that the top three things I've used so far seem to be Weaponshield CLP or following that a close tie between Gunzilla and Birchwood Casey Sheath/Barricade.

Go to this thread (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250588)(start around post #23) for my initial Weaponshield review. Go to this post (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265198)for a review I wrote on Gunzilla.

Horseman
June 9, 2009, 04:59 PM
The "toxic" nature in Eezox doesn't bother me one bit. It's not like I swim in the stuff. Heck, I'm exposed to MEK, Toluene, MPK, Jet fuel, Avgas, Kroil, LPS products, types of greases too numerous to list, etc. on a daily basis. A couple of drops of Eezox on a patch is the least of my worries.

That's the problem. Aerosol. I've never tested the liquid. The aerosol comes out with a lot of pressure in a very fine mist. It's almost impossible to toot out enough on a rag and not get a headache from the fumes. Trichloroethylene inhaled is worse for you than most of the things you mentioned.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using Eezox. It's certainly a good product. I shoot at least weekly, clean and store guns in an indoor gunroom. I prefer non-toxic stuff these days. In my tests Eezox is usually top but........I save my tests and store them in my garage year round. Eezox samples look worse than the Corrosion X and BF CLP after 1 year... I promise. I have some test boards that go back almost 6 years. A Boeshield T-9 sample is still rust free after the intial 72 hours of salt spray and 5 years of storage in the dust and humidity of my garage.

longranger
June 9, 2009, 06:34 PM
Motor oil for smokeless and olive oil for black powder..motor oil is compatible with smokeless residue it is designed to cling and cool.It costs less than all the other fancy gun oils, lubes and wax that are so thin they migrate off metal within a few days for some a little longer for others.Motor oil, you put on it stays until cleaned off.Olive oil has similar properties and is extremely compatible with black powder residue and clean up.