PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4 / M16 .22 LR made by Walther Germany

dutchgunsmoke
May 12, 2009, 07:08 PM
The release date is creeping closer and closer on these puppies.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/

Any thoughts on this new tactical rimfire .22lr ?

Hkmp5sd
May 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'd rather have an AR-15 with a .22LR dedicated upper than a .22LR look-a-like.

jman841
May 12, 2009, 07:24 PM
I'm going to wait and see the price, Probably going to be cheaper to buy a 10/22, put a tapco T6 stock on it, Put the M16 like iron sights on it, and call it a day. May not look as good as that but will feel close to an M4/M16

dutchgunsmoke
June 2, 2009, 03:11 PM
Okay.

You guys are the lucky ones. They are out on the US market.

Anybody here bought one? Tell me about it.

( if you feel embarrassed comin' out, you can also send me a PM. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c346/diamondbacktherattler/icon/secret.gif I fully understand that some people don't think this is the real thing and some things shouldn't come out... :D )

Lurch37
June 2, 2009, 05:17 PM
Just looked at one today. Pretty much the same as a true AR, except I thought it felt lighter. The one here had a price of $569 or $549 if I remember correctly. There was an anniversary GSG right next to it for $529 so if I was going to drop around $600 for a .22 rifle, I'm not sure which I would take.

Wildalaska
June 2, 2009, 05:31 PM
Nice guns, in stock

WildatleasttheywereanhouragaoAlaska ™

globalsmack
June 2, 2009, 05:52 PM
They feel light and almost like a toy. The Dust covers did not want to stay closed on the ones i have seen. The screws on the mag that hold it together tend to back out expanding the mag so they do not seat up well.

Those are all simple fixes except the toylike feel. They do feel more sturdy than the GSG though.

Ridge_Runner_5
June 3, 2009, 08:00 PM
I've heard the barrel is not threaded and the m4-style barrel is just a shroud that goes over a smooth .22lr barrel...

2ndchance
June 12, 2009, 11:52 PM
The specs show that the barrel is threaded to M8x.75. I'm sure that Tactical Innovations will come out with a thread adaptor to bring it to 1/2-28. I also read somewhere that Gemtech is also working on an adaptor.

It's pretty cool. I played with one at AJI gun shop in Apache Junction, AZ. It didn't feel light at all! It felt pretty close to a lightweight sporter. It's an all metal construction and the one I played with was outfitted with about $2000 worth of optics, BUIS, rails, and other stuff. LOL.

Walther makes quality rimfire rifles. Since it's also "Colt" licensed, it may be worth the purchase. I don't expect this to be around for a long time, so it will be a collecter item. :D

Just be sure to buy spare parts and extra mags!

2ndchance
June 12, 2009, 11:53 PM
Regarding the magazine issue. A little bit of Lock-tite will solve that problem. :)

Double Naught Spy
June 13, 2009, 12:23 AM
Handled one at the gun show. I thought the collapsing stock felt cheap and poorly fit. It rattled.

HorseSoldier
June 13, 2009, 01:06 AM
More authenticity -- that's kind of how my issue M4 stock was, too :)

I did notice the same thing about the one I looked at in the gun store, and was wondering if the tube size will allow the use of regular aftermarket stocks from Magpul or whoever.

2ndchance
June 13, 2009, 07:09 PM
In their accessories page they list a "Special Forces Crane Stock" and it's pictured with a new tube.

So, I would have to assume that unless the Crane stock has a different OD like a non-commercial, then you will have to buy the correct one.

I know that CCA sells both commercial and non-commercial buttstocks.

2ndchance
June 13, 2009, 07:24 PM
I did some lengthy searches on Google and found an article on ar15.com. A good review and some insight to the rifle. I'm not a fan of ARF so I won't post the link, but I will quote some of the text. For the sake of my sanity, I also corrected some grammer and spelling errors.

This thing feels and looks (perhaps to the untrained eye) like its M4 counterpart. At the shop we had a Colt M4, a bushmaster, and several other quality AR15 rifles. This thing is ON PAR with that kind of quality. This Colt Umarex ain't your kid brother's plastic airsoft gun.

We could not take this bad-boy appart. How in the world do you take it down? The thing is so snug we couldn't get the pin out. As we stood there puzzled..... I recognized that I had to leave to go see a client...... so I couldn't hang out.... we all agreed that the fit was a testament to the quality of the weapon. The chamber, lower, and upper are so snug.

(examining the quad-rail version) This comes with three covers for the rail that were easily removed. Rails are standard picatinny rails. No surprise there. The area is ALUMINUM and is indistinguishable in quality from my Surefire quad rail system. Good job on the rails. Everything is solid here and seems built to last.

The center section bolt area has a few things to note. The bolt area seems well made. The charging handle is specific to this weapon system. Your standard AR15 charging handles will not work with this weapon. Also, the charging handle has a very short draw, so that is also not like your standard AR15. Lets face it, 22lr is not as long as .223 or 5.56.

Flip side with "fake" bolt release. The bolt release isn't functional that I could tell. The bolt works like the GSG5 in that when you have an enpty mag it will lock open. Without a mag the bolt will not stay open.

This center section of the rifle it was easy to note that you cannot use standard AR15 pistol grips. The configuration of the nut and a pin are different.

The fire selector is as it appears, two settings as you would expect.....safe... and opposite 180º is fire.... so that is a little different than your standard M4.

The internals of the bolt and trigger are clearly very different from an M4/M16/AR15.

Front grip area is standard M4 configuration so anything you buy for standard AR15 would seem to fit.

The folding stock area has standard threading so put on a Magpul or whatever kind of stock you want if you don't like a standard M4 folding stock.

Important point#1
The barrel is a shroud configuration. The chamber and 22lr barrel sits inside a shroud that makes it "look" like a standard M4 barrel.. I heard somewhere that someone is looking to have a threaded adapter so you can have standard threads on the end, but I can't point you somewhere for that after-market part just yet. I sure want to have standard threading so I can use my suppressor.

Important point #2
OK, so the magazine DOES look goofy. I will give you that. It is actually pretty much identical in "look" to your standard 40 round mag in 5.56... except that this 22lr mag gives you 30 rounds. There is a 10 round mag you can get. The standard CMMG and other 22lr mags do NOT work in this weapon. We discussed this for a bit as a "strategy" for Colt Umarex to have their own mags. We agreed that we thought eventually you will see "standard looking" mags with a capacity of approx 22 rounds. AT this point "normal looking" magazines do not exist for this weapon.

Important point #3
I have NOT purchased one yet. The prices at this shop were $585 for the M4 and $625 for the triple rail. Two years ago I might have said that "was a bit expensive" but two things now tell me otherwise:
1. This ain't your daddy's pro-gun president and speaker of the house and
2. These weapons "seem" to have the Colt quality you may have come to expect.

Microgunner
June 13, 2009, 07:36 PM
Ordered me a M4 OPS today.

Microgunner
June 19, 2009, 05:52 PM
Mine arrived yesterday. Fun fun!

2ndchance
June 19, 2009, 07:13 PM
Nice! I would love a field report. Try and track how many rounds you fired before it gets all gummy. Man, I wish 22LR were not so waxy and nasty.

fisherob
June 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
I purchased the Colt Umarex M4 .22 L.R. a week ago at a local gunshop for $550 new. I arrived at the range today excited to shoot this gun. I loaded the mag with Remington High Velocity .22 LR hollow point ammo. After the first shot the gun jammed constantly. I would fire one and then the next one would not feed out of the mag properly. I had the Gunsmith take a look at it and he said that the remington ammo is to soft. I looked at the tip of one of the bullets that did not eject and it was nicked and one was even cracked. So the gunsmith recommended using CCI Ammunition. I purchased the ammo and ran 90 bullets through the gun without a jam. I have a NCSTAR laser scope on it and sighted it right on the money. The gun handles great! I am very impressed with it and am happy to own it. I am going to see if you can actually put a real surpressor on this gun.

This is my first post so I hope that this info is of use to you guys. Glad to be part of this forum. Thanks

Double J
June 21, 2009, 08:18 AM
Prices are already edging up. Ordered my M4 .22 last week. $613.74 (out the door) with an extra magazine. Takes a couple weeks for shipping . Should be here around this Thursday.
--I had thought about just getting a .22 upper for my .223 M4, but I'd rather leave it alone and bought the .22 Colt as a kid's plinker.

Dikran Yacoubian
June 21, 2009, 03:00 PM
Do these use proprietary magazines, or will the blackdog mags fit?

Dikran Yacoubian
Columbia, SC

fisherob
June 21, 2009, 05:54 PM
For what I understand is that there are no after market magazines for it yet.

Dood_22
June 22, 2009, 03:05 PM
Is the lower compatible with .223 AR-15 uppers?

HorseSoldier
June 22, 2009, 04:38 PM
No.

essohbe
June 22, 2009, 06:50 PM
Are these guns actually an upper and lower pinned together as usual in an AR, or are these guns forged solid? Anyone know? Thanks.

Meow meow.

dutchgunsmoke
June 23, 2009, 03:51 AM
yes there is a clip on youtube where somebody is changing the factory stock for an after market one ( i believe magpul).

Will try to find that link and post it here. am at work, via mobile. sorry.

2ndchance
June 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pKM6khXryw&feature=related

Here's one where's he's installing a Magpul UBR Stock

impalacustom
June 24, 2009, 01:21 AM
I watched the video and have to quote from the movie Christine, "You can't polish a ****".

Double J
June 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
Got mine yesterday. M4 model. Was really ready to try it out today.
First thing I noticed was the catch on the dust cover fell off. Then I loaded a magazine and it hasn't fired a single round yet. Will not feed ammo from the magazine at all. The bolt just skips over the cartridge and misses the rim.
I did put one round in the chamber with my finger, but it didn't fire and a cleaning rod was needed to push the unfired round out of the chamber because it wouldn't extract it on it's own.
--Needless to say, I am very much let-down after paying the $600+ and getting the shaft. :(

38special
July 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
i got an m4 ops, the fit and finish is as good as any ar iv'e seen, my dust cover also stays open and i hade several failure to feed issues, it diffently likes and they reccomend cci mini mags, ovral i'm a bit dissapointed about the firing issues but many guns have a break in period and i'll report back when i get a few more rounds through it.

Mannlicher
July 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
its a wannabe rifle, that just happens to look like an AR.

HorseSoldier
July 19, 2009, 05:11 PM
its a wannabe rifle

? :confused:

What makes you say that? If a guy wants to practice working sights, trigger, and running the gun for less money than it costs to take an AR out for a spin, I'm not sure I see the "wannabe" factor (the slight differences in the controls is the main thing keeping me debating it versus a 22LR upper, though even then I think it would have some training value). I'm thinking about picking one up for that very reason -- it would supplement my departmentally authorized AR-15 and the M4 the National Guard issues me these days. So buying one would make me a wannabe?

chucksolo69
July 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
I bought one of these on Tuesday and am picking it up this Saturday. I bought it because I had been looking to get a .22 rifle for a long while and absolutely, positively, unequivocaly did NOT want a Ruger 10/22. I looked at bolt guns, lever guns, other semi-autos, but when I saw this at my local gun shop, I had to have it. I had resigned myself to never getting an actual M16 or M4 since I live in California and did not want to get a compromise like a Bushmaster (fixed magazine ) or a clone with a button magazine. I will get a Mini 14 if I want a .223 rifle. This will be a fun gun to accompany my Mosquito or Kimber .22 conversion. I do a lot of rabbit hunting in eastern California and this will be great fun for that.

buzz_knox
July 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
The safety setup makes this weapon a no go for me. I would essentially have to retrain my thumb each time I switched weapons, so there is far less value in this weapon for me than just buying a .22 upper, or S&W's .22 M&P.

chucksolo69
July 21, 2009, 04:59 PM
I really think these guns are made as "fun" guns with really no intention of being serious combat guns. Anyone who thinks so needs to re-evaluate their reasons for buying one. I don't even see this gun as a "trainer" because of the inherent differences between this and an M4 in .223. I bought mine because I wanted a semi-auto .22 different from any one I know. Most of the guys I know who have a .22 rifle have either a lever gun of some sort or a Ruger 10/22. I wanted neither and never liked the styling of the Marlin/Glenfield line. I had a Marlin bolt gun I used to hunt with, and it was very accurate, but talk about mundane. I wanted little novelty in my life and I think I got it with this Colt M4 .22 rifle.

dutchgunsmoke
July 22, 2009, 03:21 PM
Since when do you consider any .22 weapon as a combat weapon?:)

Okay, the IDF uses 10/22 rifles but that's about it.

This is a fun gun - period.
And I'm spotting a trend in the reviews of this gun. It needs breaking in. After that thinks are looking good.

As long as there are no issues in rapid wearing down of parts and barrels this one could be a hit.

Mr X
July 22, 2009, 08:08 PM
Purchased two of these little guys (Ok... not so little) 3 weeks ago.

I first found the M4 "OPs" at recent gun show and it followed me home without a second thought.

Without even firing it, being a moron, I thought it needed a friend and I ordered the M16A2 variant from a local store.

Excellent pricing, the first even came with three magazines from that particular dealer.

Functionality:

The A2 has not jammed once, eats Federal red box bulk pack, remington golden boy, mini-mags, thunderbolts, Aguila hypervelocity. Seems to honestly like the Fed bulk reds and Winchester Super X the best. With each of those I was able to consistently hit a praire-dog gong at 100yds seated with/without rest.

The "OPS" carbine, without a carry handle was a little fussier on ammo. Initially it liked mini-mags best and seemed to be short-stroking rather frequently. My praise to the designers and Walther/Umarex/Colt on this one, the bolt speed is easily user adjustable with a large Allen wrench. I adjusted about 1/2 turn and it is running fantastically. This adjustment allows for even .22LR SV ammo (according to the manual) - there is a Youtube instructional video as well.

Accuracy is great for combat open sighted .22LRs. With some "blasting" groups were 2 inches at 50yds, less with aimed fire.

Complaints:

30rd magazines are huge...but since you have to single stack 22s... can't be helped. I do wish to get some 10rd mags for the bench. Especially for the A2 model.

Triggers are crisp but heavier than say a GSG5, 10/22. On the A2 in particular I would like to have a lighter trigger.

Umm... other than that the only problem is my 22 expenditure tripled and it wasn't small to begin with.

Oh yeah - sight picture slightly different than real-AR. I used that sight picture and was 6-8 inches high off the bat. Adjusted the front sight too much too. The post is much shorter than a full-size .223. Have the post a little low for sighting and its dead on. Try that before adjusting the front sight for elevation too much. The rear sight is adjustable like an A2 AR but the manual indicates that for the markings (like a real AR) are for decoration. Use them as you will but don't plan on those 600yd shots with #6 on the dial :D

Highly recommended. Gets you more AR trigger time, cheaper, no upper swapping or conversions. Great for introducing the AR to people. And plinking...oh yes... there is a new king for that my friends. I think they look more AR-like than the S&Ws too. How they let Walther out of their little partnership on this one I know not. Maybe someone here does.

Now all I need is the sig 22LR rifle too... Hmmmm...

Disclosures: The author is an ardent 22LR buff, rifle and pistol. he believes they mean more practice, more trigger time and more time at the range. How is any of that bad?

Edit - Additions: Reading the above issues, I offer only my experiences. Like the GSG5 series and Mosquitos - make sure the magazines are loaded very well. Sometimes the staggering gets a little off and loose round can cause a hang-up. I do smack the magazines onto my palm as I load them. My A2 was a little tight in the magwell (save the jokes ;) ) wherein the mag wouldn't drop free effortlessly. After about 10 uses that went away. Do make sure the mag is seated with a very hard shove, especially when full on a closed bolt. I will try next time I have them out to see if resting the mag on the bench or ground makes a difference. I don't remember it being one...

If that still doesn't get it to feed, time to break out the Aguila hypervelocity stuff. It almost takes the slide off a Mosquito!

HorseSoldier
July 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
The safety setup makes this weapon a no go for me.

Yeah, the safety and, to a lesser extent, the lack of a functioning bolt release are issues I'd have with it too, and prevent it from being a 100% solution for cheap-22LR training. I'm not entirely clear on why they went with the 180 degree rotation instead of a normal 90 degree option.

Ridge_Runner_5
July 23, 2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pKM6...eature=related

Here's one where's he's installing a Magpul UBR Stock

I made it 3 minutes before I had a dent in my forehead from the constant facepalming...

chucksolo69
July 29, 2009, 09:46 AM
I finally got to shoot my Colt M4 .22 so here is a quick range report.

I fired three types of ammo from the gun; American Eagle (Federal), CCI Mini Mags, Remington Target. All shooting was done off hand at 25 yards since our indoor range only has a 25 yard rifle range and 15 yard pistol ranges; I shot 5 shot strings with the iron sights only at NRA slow fire pistol targets. I did not have time to clean the rifle before shooting but I did put a drop of Hoppes #9 in the firing pin area just so that any grease there would disolve. Here are my findings.

It took me 10 shots to zero the rifle with the Mini Mags, which I tested first. After shooting 100 Mini Mags, I had 2 light strikes (failure to fire) and no misfeeds or failures to eject. Average group size was around 2" with an occassional flier due to my less than perfect eyes and a less than stellar trigger pull; the trigger seemed to get better the more I shot though.

I didn't have to re-zero the rifle for the American Eagle loads. But Wow, I literally cut the red bull's eye out of a fresh target with these. There were NO hits in the 8 or 9 ring at all, just in the red bull's eye. Incredible for a new uncleaned rifle. The results were the same for 100 rounds using 4 different targets. I had one light strike with these loads and all other rounds fired perfectly with no stoppages of any kind.

The Remington target loads were a different story. The loads were fairly accurate, on par with the Mini Mags, but I had 5 light strikes with this ammo no failures to feed or eject however.

All in all I am really happy with this rifle. I am going to try the Fedeal Bulk ammo next as it seems to like the American Eagle brand made by Federal. I found I could shoot the gun better with the buttstock extended fully. The gun ejects the empty cases with authority and well to the side. Sight adjustment was easy, but the front was a bit harder to adjust for elevation than the rear. I used the rear small apeture peep sight for this test. The magazine was pretty hard to remove for the first 50 rounds or so, after a while though it became pretty easy to remove and install. One complaint I have read on the forums is that the ejection port cover doesn't work; I can tell you mine does. It stays closed as long as the bolt is in the rear position. During insertion of the magazine and charging the gun, the ejection port cover pops open when the round is picked up from the magazine and the bolt slams shut; pretty neat. All in all, this rifle fits the bill for me just right. I am one of the few people on the planet who are just not into the whole Ruger 10/22 customization thing. I have wanted a .22 rifle like this for a long time and Colt/Walther finally made my wish come true. While pricey at $675.00 compared to other semi-auto .22s, I still think it was a good buy

dutchgunsmoke
August 4, 2009, 06:55 PM
Okay.

I'm in complete panic here. I don't know what to do.

I have been scouring the net on this gun and have found basically 3 opinions on this rifle.

1. It's not a real AR and therfor totally crap.

My o2: I don't want a real AR. I want an AR in .22LR to shoot at my range in a dynamic discipline. The 30-rounders are a major + in this. 22LR is the designated calibre and NOT .223 Remington or .556 NATO.

2. It's completely crap because the quality isn't there. Cracked receivers, Ammo related issues ( Remington is a nono ) FTF, FTE shreaded barrel, magazine catch and God may know what kind of evil lurks on the horizon with this gun.

And that's bad. As in real bad!

3. Get it! Now! It's Fun, it's Accurate, it's the ****, the bomb, the best thing since Colt offered the Python Elite.
And that's good, real good!

Can somebody put me out of my misery here????

9x19
August 4, 2009, 09:52 PM
Can somebody put me out of my misery here???

Sure... buy a 10/22 and a Nordic conversion. :D

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/1022AR.jpg

dutchgunsmoke
August 5, 2009, 06:06 AM
If I wanted a 10/22 i would have had it already.

Big minus: 30 rounders from Butler Creek. Minus? Is the Dutchguy sick in his head? Nope. But ever since a couple of bearded cavemen decided to joyride with some planes getting these from the US to my neck of the woods has become a lot harder. The Colt's comes standard with 30 round mags from my neck of the woods.

To buy or not to buy? That's the question!

9x19
August 5, 2009, 08:25 AM
That's unfortunate about firearms accessories making their way across the pond.

I've only fondled the "Colt" .22s at the local shop, but I wasn't impressed. If Walther is indeed building them, they have taken a step down from even their P-22.

Double J
August 5, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'm on my third replacement since I bought my .22 Colt M4 Tactical. First two were total junk. This is my last one. When I first got it home, the bolt could not be pulled back. After some major filing on the trigger group housing I finally got it to operate. It will shoot most of the time now. The factory rear sight is useless as it doesn't have enough windage adjustment. Sight all the way right, bullet hits +12" left at 30 yards. Just not what I expected for $600.

chucksolo69
August 5, 2009, 09:31 AM
Well, I've had mine to the range 3 times now and it is finally broken in after about 900 rounds. First of all, I think most of the negative reviews on this rifle are from those that have .22 conversions for their AR-15s and those that got early lemons. Thing is, this is NOT an AR-15 people. It is a .22 rifle modeled after the Colt M4 and it states so in the owner's manual. So what if the safety requires a 180 degree turn! So what if the bolt release and forward assist are non functional. And yes, the dust cover functions like a real AR. One thing I did notice after 900 rounds is that Remington ammo truly sucks. I had nothing but problems with it. Federal American Eagle and CCI mini mags seem to work best in mine. As for accuracy, I was getting .75" groups at 25 yards off hand. Not too shabby. One thing I noticed was that when I was shooting for accuracy, I shot 5 shot strings with only 5 cartridges in the magazine. With only 5 .22 shells in the mag there were NO misfires or any other problems what so ever. It's funny that when someone has questions about this rifle so many that answer say "just get a Ruger 10/22". I for one specifically did NOT want a Ruger 10/22. Why, because they are about as mundane a rifle as you can get. Yes, I had one back in the mid '80s with a scope and 30 rd banana clip. All I can say is it was boring. Some will say buy tactical stuff for it....well by the time you put all that stuff on a 10/22 your looking at 400-600 bucks anyway. Besides, no amount of "plastic" stuff put on a 10/22 makes it look "tactical." IMO it just looks silly. I bought this Colt/Walther/Umarex rifle because it was miles different from the 10/22s that the masses have. Bottom line is, I bought this rifle as a fun gun to plink with and hunt rabbits and the like. I paid just over 600 bucks for it. Was it worth it? It was to me.

flight954
August 5, 2009, 10:29 AM
I happened on one in Academy down here in H-Town and couldn't resist. I bought a 1000rnds of the Federal blue box and gave the rifle the first 500rnd torture test yesterday. It was a flawless and very accurate shooter. Never a failure. I shot a few mags as fast as I could pull the trigger w/o a problem. So far it's doing pretty good.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/flight954/ColtAR22001.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/flight954/ColtAR22004.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/flight954/ColtAR22002.jpg

flight954
August 5, 2009, 10:38 AM
That's unfortunate about firearms accessories making their way across the pond.

I've only fondled the "Colt" .22s at the local shop, but I wasn't impressed. If Walther is indeed building them, they have taken a step down from even their P-22.

When I first handled the rifle I wasn't super impressed, but I did think this would be a great drill/practice rifle. At $600, that's sure less expesive than building or converting an AR from scratch. I highly doubt that a company like Colt is going to box and stamp there name on junk.

DaveInPA
August 5, 2009, 04:48 PM
I also corrected some grammer and spelling errors.

Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

essohbe
August 6, 2009, 08:47 PM
It even has a forward assist, lol.

I've seen these for over $600 locally, wouldn't it be better/cheaper to just get the .22lr conversion kit for a regular AR (if you already have one)?

The Nordic Stock is also cool but by the time you pay for the rest of the componants, you might as well have just bought a real AR.

Has anyone owned the Archangel stock? I think it coms with the buttstock and grip for less than the price of the Nordic kit.

Dino.
August 31, 2009, 08:12 PM
I put 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mags through my new M4 OPS over the weekend.
Not one FTF ... ran like a champ! :)

I have none of the issues I've read about on these forums.
The trigger is nice and smooth, and the gun is very accurate.
My only complaint would be that you need tools to break it down and it's a real PITA to clean. Other than that ... I LOVE THIS GUN!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/DinoBonanno/DSC02985.jpg

Double Naught Spy
August 31, 2009, 10:42 PM
A buddy picked up one last week and we shot it for the first time this weekend. I was very unimpressed. The faux AR15 produced numerous failures to fire (light strikes), failures to chamber due to failure to collect a new round from the mag, some failures to extract, and when we attempted to open it up with the rear takedown pin, found it could not be opened without excessive force (which the instructions state not to use). We finally had to use a punch and small hammer to drive out the pin.

Upon opening the gun, we learned that the bolt release (as on a real AR15) was just a faux part that fell off when the upper was open. They actually have a look part that is totally cosmetic, serving no actual mechanical function.

After trying 3 different magazines and several brands of ammo, the the issues with the gun still were not resolved. In reading the directions, I have a feeling that the hammer speed likely needs to be adjusted (and there is a way to do this) and that hopefully will resolve some of the issues.

As noted above, the safety does not work like a regular AR15. Instead of having to rotate 90 degrees as on a regular AR15, the safety has to rotate 180 degrees.

Granted, it was a sampling of one, but I am disappointed with the product.

Dino.
September 1, 2009, 10:41 PM
Double Naught Spy,
Umarex offers a video that can be found on You Tube which explains how to break down the gun, clean it, adjust the bolt speed, etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zhVBY6e1n0

I agree, the gun SHOULD have the ability to be broken down without the use of tools (a punch), but they do explain this clearly in the owners manual as well as the video.

My only other complaint would be that it's very difficult to clean.
You can't remove the bolt and the breech is too small for cleaning brushes.
Other than that, my M4 functions perfectly.

Double Naught Spy
September 2, 2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the video. As noted in the video, the pin is designed to be in tight. It was so tight that it could not be moved by hand and had to be driven out much as they showed. Funny how the video says the pin is tight to keep the rifle accurate and yet they aren't that tight in .223/5.56 AR15s. Hmm.

The video notes that there are 3 milled false pins in the receiver. Note that they only showed one side of the gun. The manual notes that there are 5 as two more are shown on the other side.

A bunch of what was in the video wasn't in the manual. We didn't have the video at the range, just the manual.

Ironic that the video notes that the gun comes set for Standard Velocity ammo but that they recommend High Velocity ammo.

Magog
January 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
Hello. I just went and paid for my Umarex M16 22. Will get it this coming Thursday. I have not seen any bad news about it, other then BS.

It is a German made proven time tested design. I am 99.99% confident it will be bad ass.

The big selling points for me were the 20 in barrel, and the iron sights. I wanted a SIG 522, but man for $529.99 it does not even come with Iron sights. That there is BS.

I got my M16 .22 for 452.95 $512 after taxes.

Sig, you going to have to learn to give consumers what they want... You lost a sale because of greed.

Quentin2
January 7, 2011, 07:55 PM
Wow, $60 in taxes!!! :eek:

tAKticool
January 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
very happy with my S&W M&P 15-22, don't think anything but maybe the Sig 522 can touch it, including this Colt thing, no contest.

Now I would love a Colt M4-style compliant AR..And maybe I "should" have saved more and gotten one instread of the Bushmaster I got, but I am very happy with it and you know what, maybe someday I get the Colt. I got a home mini-bar NIB valued at like $4,000 I won from a Camel cigarettes contest in 2004, I'm willing to trade for a new rifle or two, maybe a shotguin too.

;);)

Magog
January 7, 2011, 08:51 PM
yeah, Washington state taxes are 9.892%, but this is like 13%... Must be hitting me for something else... Maybe shipping charge.

It is not itemized on my receipt, just the amount.

but their guarantee if it breaks they fix, or replace for life...

Quentin2
January 8, 2011, 12:49 AM
Oh well it's a great rifle, Magog. I love my M4 version. And your price is better than a lot of people paid. Hope you enjoy it! Try Federal or Winchester value pack at Walmart. It probably won't like Remington Golden Bullet.

Magog
January 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
Ok... Just got back form the range...

My new M16 22 LR by Umarex is not so good.

I am upset.

By the 3rd round fired it was a FTF. I was shooting CCI mini mags.

I had FTF a lot. Seems that the mag spring or something is not strong enough to push the round up into the chamber.

I had miss fires, and they failed to eject. Had to dig them out with my pocket knife.

Any ideas what I can do? I saw an old man say lube it up like crazy that the M16 can not get enough oil, but I thought right out of the box it would be good...

LinuxHack3r
January 12, 2011, 06:57 PM
If it is really anything like an AR design, without some sort of lube (wet or dry) it really just won't function very nicely. Keep it wet, run it wet, unless you have reason to use dry lube (sand or extreme cold, etc).

Quentin2
January 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
I've heard CCI mini mags ususally work well in the Colt but haven't tried them myself. I use Federal and Winchester Value Packs at Walmart and especially like the Federal. Remington Golden Bullet had FTFeeds but no issues at all with Federal so that's what I shoot.

I would read about the bolt speed adjustment, it should be in the manual but if not check the website.

You don't want to lube this Colt nearly as much as you would an AR. It should be cleaned before initial firing and the chamber does need to be clean.

Don't give up, Umarex will make it right if you got a bad one. Usually problems like this are ammo related or magazine related. Mine has shot like a champ from day one so I can tell you it can be corrected.

Magog
January 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
Yeah, my plan is to buy some more mags, a 30, and 2 10s to see it that might be the issue, and adjust the bolt tension.

I am sure it is fix able. the design is proven, it is German manufacturing. It behooves no one to make a crappy product.

tAKticool
January 13, 2011, 11:24 PM
Magog,

I mean this as respectfully, and non-confrontationally as possible,

Please don't take me wrong,

but I read a few of your posts, and you basically say, "I'm going to buy one, I put down te money, because I've read reveiws, and even though I've read some bad reviews, they're BS. [quote= BS]." Read that as: you saw problems and bad reviews that people told you, and you disregarded them as either not true, or not your problem.

then you get the rifle, and those problems happen, and you get mad.

And say here, that you're mad, and your rifle has problems.

see where I'm going with that in my mind?

Magog
January 14, 2011, 04:57 PM
yep that is how it happen...

I am not all that mad, I think the issues can be worked out.

In the back of my head I am uneasy, because there is not much on the M16, and a lot on the Umarex M4. I guess they are the same functionality wise, only the M4 has a shorter barrel and less of a range...

The rounds that did fire were very accurate and I am happy with the hits on my target.

At the very end of the range, I only missed the head shot 6 times out of 300 rounds. Everything else was a a solid hit.

I am very grateful for this web sight, and the information and help I get here.

I did feel like this guy at the range though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL0-bQA5iw8

Only we have different rifles.

Quentin2
January 14, 2011, 06:17 PM
Magog, there's a monster length thread on Colt/Umarex linked below. Lots of info you won't see anywhere else.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/01/13/colt-umarex-m4-carbine-22-tactical-rimfire-ar-15/

Magog
January 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
thanks a lot. good stuff.

Magog
January 20, 2011, 06:00 PM
Ok, I got my allen wrench form Umarex, and adjusted the bolt.

Went to the range and only had 2 misfires out of 300 rounds.

I think it the cheap federal blue box ammo, but all my issues were fixed just by setting the Allen screw.

Great rifle I love it. I am very happy with it. I do have a sight issue now, seems to go off to the left, and I have to zero that in...

Dont know how yet, but I will learn.

This is my learning rifle, after I get good with this puppy I am going to buy a Colt 6940.

BODAME
January 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
I have had one for a couple of years and will take it over the other AR22s.
Dial in the Ammo your going to use and Shoot It.
Used it in several 22 Matches with no issues,
I know she has had 2500 Rounds down the barrel.
Hagen

drainman
February 9, 2011, 08:48 PM
I have a Colt m4 Ops 22lr and have nothing but jam, fte issues. Stovepiping the main thing. The gun only has a 1 year warranty, have had it for 16 months.. Umarex will look at it, but that costs money too. I have tried Federal 36g HP, Winchester 40gr RN, Winchester 36 gr Hp. Nothing works in this gun. I see that some of you guys are running CCI in it. Are you using HP or RN? And what grain are you guys using? I'm sick of buying boxes of ammo that don't work!

Quentin2
February 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
The Federal and Winchester you listed works fine in my Colt. Have you adjusted the bolt speed set screw?

BODAME
February 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
Adjust the Bolt Tension to Dial In the Ammo your shooting and stay with that Mfg and enjoy. If you change Mfg make sure and take your Allen Wrench
with to the Range. You may have to make a Spring Tension change.
Also keep her clean - Gun Scubber (Remember your shooting a nasty 22)
and Slick - Few drops of Miltec on the Bolt .
Hope this helps
Good Luck
Hagen

Magog
February 10, 2011, 09:53 PM
I just got back form the range today. after fixing the bolt setting and the mag issue my M16 22 runs like a dream. I only had 6 mis fires out of 500 rounds all day. I am pretty sure it was do to the cheap Blazer ammo I was using, but I am very happy with my rifle.

I was going to pawn her and get me a Sig 522, but not now. She's a keeper.

I only wish Umarex made Magnetic magazines so the mag springs would never become a feeding issue.

Or if Magpul would make so cheap P22 mags for it, so it would not cost a lot finding a good magazine.

essohbe
February 11, 2011, 05:37 PM
Glad you got it to work for you.

Something I do, is look for all the bad reviews of a product I might be looking to purchase. I am not interested on the good aspects of something because those mean it's a non-issue, I want to know all the things that can go wrong with something and then decide if I want to risk it or not.

Quentin2
February 11, 2011, 08:00 PM
Something I do, is look for all the bad reviews of a product I might be looking to purchase. I am not interested on the good aspects of something because those mean it's a non-issue, I want to know all the things that can go wrong with something and then decide if I want to risk it or not.

Good point, essohbe but it can be harder to sort out than usual with the Colt/Walther since so many bad reviews are echos rebounding all over the internet, usually by people who never fired the Colt. Others tend to be ammo and bolt speed adjustments. And the Colt hate or Walther or Umarex.

I tend to like the average reviews better than the bad ones or glowing ones. There you might find the problems like breaking down the gun, cleaning and the barrel design.

I was nearly scared off by all the initial bad reviews but when I held the Colt in the store I knew I'd get one. Just had to wait for the price to come down.

Magog
February 11, 2011, 08:22 PM
I think I found my mag issue, and it is self inflicted.

You know the mag release, well on the other side is that little metal piece that does nothing...

Well that fell out, and aaaaaaaaaa.... I put in backwards and it was stopping the function of the mag release all together.

I wonder if it kept the mag form seating properly and hence my feeding issue.

I will have to go back to the range and see. But with work and my schedule it will be a week or two.

What you think possible feeding issue with that little metal piece over the mag release action???

Quentin2
February 11, 2011, 09:58 PM
I think I found my mag issue, and it is self inflicted.

You know the mag release, well on the other side is that little metal piece that does nothing...

Well that fell out, and aaaaaaaaaa.... I put in backwards and it was stopping the function of the mag release all together.

I wonder if it kept the mag form seating properly and hence my feeding issue.

I will have to go back to the range and see. But with work and my schedule it will be a week or two.

What you think possible feeding issue with that little metal piece over the mag release action???

Are you talking about the cosmetic external "bolt hold open latch"? I'm not near my Colt now so can't tell you if it could interfere with the magazine and feeding. Certainly possible.

Magog
February 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
Yes, I think that is the right name.

Things are going pretty well with it. The very worst was I had to use force to yank the mag out...

dutchgunsmoke
February 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
Sorry for not having responded in this thread for a while.

I have long made up my mind on this one. After having read more nightmare-stories about the Umarex/Walther/Colt-mishap and having experienced first-hand the feel and more genuine design of the S & W M&P 15-22 I 've decided. If it's going to be a AR .22 clone, it will be the Smith.

Until 3 days ago that is...

Has got something to do with someone posting a youtube vid on a SCAR look-a-like in .22...

Why are they making my life so miserably difficult...?:(

Quentin2
February 14, 2011, 06:03 PM
...After having read more nightmare-stories about the Umarex/Walther/Colt-mishap and having experienced first-hand the feel and more genuine design of the S & W M&P 15-22 I 've decided. If it's going to be a AR .22 clone, it will be the Smith...

But no first-hand experience with the Colt, right? Yet you can declare it a mishap on hearsay alone?

dutchgunsmoke
February 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
Correct.

Functionality is not like a AR on the umarex. There are too many ammo related issues which might be solved by adjusting the gun. The mags are considerably longer on the umarex.

When i buy a .22 clone for dynamic shooting it must shoot various brands whitout adjusting.

So yes. I discard the umarex after many reviews of others and after having shot a smith.
Sorry if that annoys you. But this is my judgement.

Oh, and my money by the way. ;)

Magog
February 17, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yes the SCAR look a like is awesome, and I would like one as well.

However, back form the range this is my 4th time out with my M16/22 and all the issues I had are non issues.

This is the best little rifle I have ever owed, and I only own one other 22 when I was a kid that my brother nabed form me.

Forgot who made it.

A guy at the range today asked me if it was a rock river... heheheheehe.

Magog
February 24, 2011, 03:58 PM
I just called Umarex and asked about Magpul furniture on my M16 22

The parts guy told me as long as the Magpul products are Mil spec they will fit on my M16 22.

So now I am going to dress her up and I will bring pictures.

I will get the hand guard, the flip up rear sight, and MOE buttstock for her.

For a great little rifle that cost me about $25.00 a day to shoot, hell yeah I am going to take care of her.

onedesertdog
March 3, 2011, 12:24 AM
Hey folks.
Interesting reviews on the M16 .22lr., and some good info.
I bought one from Big 5 Sporting Goods here in Az. about 2 weeks ago on sale for $339.99, before taxes. Shot 10 mags of Rem. .22 lr Brass-Plated Hollow Points through it so far and have not had any issues other than the fact I can't find a resonable priced 20 or 30 rd. mag. for it.

Very happy I went with the dedicated Colt M16 .22 lr instead of getting a conversion kit for my M15.

Good site, and I'd be very happy to hear more info on the M4 hardware that may work for it.
Buddy

richard herink
March 7, 2011, 09:37 PM
hi fellow shooters. i mostly shoot muzzleloaders, decided i watend little fun plinker, had fails to fire. cases were dented. emiled colt. they said to use the allen wrench that was with the guns box. take 2 turns on the muzzle comp. when opened on the back of the bolt turn the set screw in 9 turns. no more problems. with winchester super X at 50 yards off a rest i shot a ten shot group i could cover with a nickel. by the way remember to retighten the comp.. also easier to carry than my 12 pound hawken rifle.

Magog
March 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hey, I called a gun smith, and I am worried about his skill set. I want to buy a MI 15in T free float rail for my M16 22. He can install it for me for 60 bucks.

Cool, I don't have a work bench or vice and I dont mine paying to get the job done right.

However he did tell me he is not familiar with Umraex and though he might had a problem if the gas tube is too low.

I told him it is a blow back system and it should not have a gas tube... He did not know that. I took off my standard hand guard and sure enough no gas tube.

This will be just cosmetic, and I want the low profile for flip up sights and my Eotech clone red dot.

It is going to look bad ass.

All and all the MI rail will cost 150, his labor, 60, the magpul flip up sight 30 bucks. 240.

Going with magpul hard guard, and flip iron sight, 40 +60 100 bucks.

For a 140 bucks more, I have a better looking system, and better quality.

Magog
March 9, 2011, 08:27 PM
Also side note, reading reviews of the 10 round mags, a guy said they feed anything, even Remington golden bullets.

Nickel Plated
March 9, 2011, 09:18 PM
Sorry for being a newb, but why not just get a .22LR conversion for a regular AR-15. Am I missing something here?

Quentin2
March 9, 2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry for being a newb, but why not just get a .22LR conversion for a regular AR-15. Am I missing something here?

That can work but accuracy will suffer since the faster barrel twist of an AR isn't suited for .22LR. And if you run thousands of .22s down the barrel you can clog up the gas port and tube. And of course you have one rifle instead of two. Not huge issues for many but something to consider. Your choice and the conversions are certainly the cheapest solution.

essohbe
March 9, 2011, 09:28 PM
...why not just get a .22LR conversion for a regular AR-15?

Lol. That's what I said but you gotta remember some people don't have an AR already so they'd have to buy more parts, a receiver plus the .22lr upper... maybe it's cheaper to just go with the Umarex or S&W.

I went another way and put a 10-22 into a Nordic Components AR kit. I like it better than an AR and I can work on it easier too.

kootken
March 19, 2011, 08:34 PM
Just got a new Colt M16 22 LR last week and had a chance finally to shoot it today. Loaded 25 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HP ( 36 gr. ) and after shooting it for the first two rounds it failed to fully extract the second spent case from the ejection port. It continued to do this randomly through 75 rounds today with perhaps 8 empty cases failing to fully extract from the gun after being shot. I repeatedly adjusted the hex nut for bolt speed from all the way in to back to the factory setting flush with the chamber area and it made no difference. Anyone out there have a suggestion on what may be causing this failure to fully extract?
CCI Mini mags show a velocity of 1250 FPS so it should function fine. It does in both my Ruger 10-22's.