PDA

View Full Version : 2 apartments below me ... Home Invasion

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 11:27 AM
Well, This is true and happened in Nashville about two weeks ago. I was a witness (woke up to door being caved in two apartment units below mine). I retrieved cell phone and keeping my BR door locked, went to the window to see SUV parked sideways with doors open. Weird I thought, but then to my wondering eyes did appear two BGs running from the breezeway below and got in / drove away. Both were taking off ski masks as they got in. I retrieved my HD weapon and made sure (via window near door) that no one was outside my unit posing a threat or trying to get in. Once that was complete, I called the Police and remained in my unit. In about 2 min, they arrived and found a dazed and scared mid 30s couple in the LR of the apartment that was invaded. I was interviewed about what I saw, the vehicle, etc. I gave what info I could. I could not get the tag due to the angle. Turns out, after BGs caved in the door at 12:35 am, one guy went directly to the BR and held the couple in bed at Gunpoint while the other guy was searching for goods. Fortunately, the couple was not harmed. The guy who lives there is ex cop from west TN and he is now a firearms trainer and works security detail. He had two glocks and one shotgun in the sleeping area. Those were taken in the robbery. Also taken were car keys, her purse, and a back pack (his) with boxes of ammo and some various accessories. I just want to thank everyone on these forums because I feel about as prepared as one can be due to all the info that is shared. I knew not to go down the stairs or to try and detain/confront home invaders outside. I was prepared to deal with trouble if it came to me but not to look for it. The time estimate from the start of this (door breached) until they sped away was probably about 4 minutes. The investigation as to a "why" that apartment is still open. I'd like to know but mainly just trying to be ready and able to react properly if need be. I have maintained communication with a detective and he will let me know if they are found / caught. I hope so but time will tell. The couple moved away as she could not sleep there anymore.

Brian Pfleuger
April 22, 2009, 11:44 AM
Goes to show you why "security" is more than a gun.

Of course, it can be tough in an apartment setting. The landlords tend to not like people replacing doors and reinforcing walls.:rolleyes:

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 11:54 AM
agree. I do one thing differently now once I'm "in" for the evening. I place a medium four drawer dresser back up against the entry door. It's dead bolted and chained and it is a metal door. But I figure I'll hear it slamming into the dresser if someone was kicking in the door. I live alone so while it's a little bit of a pain, I believe no precaution is a bad one.

KLRANGL
April 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
I place a medium four drawer dresser back up against the entry door.
Fire hazard?

I just keep a loaded gun on the bedside table, and a flashlight... Being a light sleeper helps too...

Housezealot
April 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
go's to show you can't be to prepared, I used to get home and lock my carry gun in the safe, I just figured my house isn't that big so how long could it take for me to get to my shotgun?, but after thinking about it, when I am at home my family is with me and I am much more concerned with protecting them than I am with protecting myself throughout the course of my work day,
now If I am awake I have a sidearm on my person at all times (except the rare occasion I have a beer or two) I can't bear to think that my lack of preperation could result in a situation such as you described.

Hellbilly5000
April 22, 2009, 12:27 PM
Im a heavy sleep and my wife is a light sleeper but I am working days at the moment and she is working nights. I am glad I have a dog

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 12:28 PM
not really, I have a small two wheel dolly in my aparment that I kept after moving. I leave the dresser sitting on it against the door. each morning, or at night if I needed to, moving it back to the wall near the dining table takes just a few seconds. I tried to think about this before putting anything of decent size/weight to hold the door for a bit and make some noise. I may look this weekend and get one of those door jam / club devices. Some say those work pretty well.

Ike1371
April 22, 2009, 01:18 PM
I get pretty bent when I hear about crap like that. I also hope that it will never happen to me as I too live in an apartment. I run through different scenarios in my head and actually do a walk through my apartment with my shotgun. Kinda a rehearsal. I hope that it will never happen to me and if it does i want to be better prepared than the average bear.

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 02:29 PM
thanks to all for the replies. It is a shame we find ourselves having to live indoors with firearms either on our person or arms length away. But we all agree that there are no "safe neighborhoods" and if you fail to plan, then by default you plan to fail. Since the home invasion, I have the "must go check out the car door closing or any other interesting noise syndrome. Also, I have learned who are my neighbors, what they drive, and even to some degree what vehicle types visit them.

Atticum
April 22, 2009, 02:32 PM
i live in Nashville. what neighborhood is your apartment?

ZeSpectre
April 22, 2009, 02:50 PM
A layered defense is the best defense. A gun on the nightstand is no good if you are sound asleep.

Apartments can be especially troubling since there isn't much distance (most of the time) from the door to the bedroom so you have very little reaction time available (unless you armor the bedroom somehow).

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 02:52 PM
it's Brentwood Station across from the players club off Edmonson pike and McMurray drive. About 1 mile north of OHB which runs from I-65 over to I-24

Hellbilly5000
April 22, 2009, 04:06 PM
In my apt as you come in if you don't know where stuff is you will trip over my recliner and if you break it then there will be a lot more hell to pay

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 04:15 PM
I was allowed by one of the officers on the scene to go in to the unit after the crime team left. Just to stand in the door way and take a look around. Their apartment was "hard to navigate" with chairs, fish tank, two entertainment centers and a huge futon basically in the middle of the den. Never the less, the invader had the couple in bed at gunpoint almost instantly after the breach. I believe this is because any criminal whether smart or not is already alert, excited, has some kind of plan, and I believe in this case, this home invasion was not their first rodeo.

Hellbilly5000
April 22, 2009, 04:47 PM
Some of that could be on the renter as they may have left there sliding glass door blinds open and the bg saw inside the apt

05kas05
April 22, 2009, 04:52 PM
i bet when they catch them it will be somebody the victims know.i could be wrong but it seems like they knew right where everything was.

KingEdward
April 22, 2009, 05:02 PM
good thought. I am wondering if somehow it was related to the boyfriend who was spending the night there. She moved in about two months prior to the robbery. I had never seen him and my understanding is, that same night was coincidentally the first night he stayed over. But again, could just all be
happen stance.

rantingredneck
April 22, 2009, 05:27 PM
I place a medium four drawer dresser back up against the entry door.

May I suggest instead........

http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS266US266&q=master+lock+door+security+bar&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=A5nvSbiWEYOjtgeV3PHQDw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I bought two of these ^ for our doors after a friend of a friend experienced back to back home invasions twice in a week. They will reportedly withstand up to 1000lbs of force against the door. They are quick to put in place and quick to remove (just kick the lower end of it away from the door) in case of fire, etc.

I found mine at Lowe's hardware for 16.95+tax.

Hellbilly5000
April 22, 2009, 05:42 PM
King thats all to much to be a coincidence

bigghoss
April 22, 2009, 06:04 PM

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...num=1&ct=title

after I got about half way through this thread I though about making something like this from a 2x4 to go against the door and brace on the opposite wall. but for 20 bucks might as well get one of those. the thought occurred to me to maybe put one across the hall about ankle high as a trip hazard for any would be intruder, but since I work graveyard shift and get up in the dark I'll probably just trip on it myself constantly.:D

ISC
April 22, 2009, 06:23 PM
I would bet money that the attackers knew the couple.

Housezealot
April 22, 2009, 06:54 PM
if you fail to plan, then by default you plan to fail
well spoke kingedward!

Greg_TX
April 22, 2009, 10:04 PM
A couple of things that are good to get are larger strike plates (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=100954-214-1025&lpage=none) and reinforced lock plates (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100186341). The longer strike plates allow you to secure the plate with several long screws all the way to the studs, and the U-plate keeps the door together at the lock bore. By the time the BG(s) get through that, you should be awake and ready ... :cool:

KLRANGL
April 22, 2009, 10:09 PM
he thought occurred to me to maybe put one across the hall about ankle high as a trip hazard for any would be intruder
As cool as it would be, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Booby trapping your home in most places im aware of... :(

Catfishman
April 22, 2009, 10:21 PM

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...num=1&ct=title

I have these on my doors. At the very least they will slow someone down and force them to make a lot of noise. That would give me the warning and time I need to get ready.

ActivShootr
April 22, 2009, 10:23 PM
Sounds like they knew they guy and knew he had a stash of guns and ammo.

Housezealot
April 23, 2009, 02:31 AM
As cool as it would be, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Booby trapping your home in most places im aware of...

and isn't that sad? a guy has to worry about the well being of a thief. for some reason I have let a lot of threads get my blood pressure up today. I don't tend to agree with the things our middle eastern neighbors do (wife abuse/honor killings) but the idea of cutting a thiefs hand off seems smart to me, and if its not a deterent it will sure as heck make it harder to steal next time. Some day i will win the lottery and move to texas were a man can defend his family and property the way god (and sam colt) intended:D

freakintoguns
April 23, 2009, 04:03 AM
thats agood thing about NM if some jerk off is in your home you can let em have it from both barrels. but then again if said watse of flesh trips and falls in my empty pool and breaks himself( hopefully hsi neck and he expries and no one has to deal with his stupidity anymore) he or his family can sue us.

stuff like this is also why i wouldnt like living ina apartment, happent o knowa girl who was raped and her neighbors assumed that the noise was the TV. i know that if i hear screams in my neighborhood its not someones TV. its somethign bad and i need to0 call the cops ASAP, and arm myself incase the attacker wants to come into my house and defile my mother.

ZeSpectre
April 23, 2009, 10:16 AM
Just a thought I've mentioned before (and you can laugh all you want) but since it's a loooooong wood-floored hallway to my bedroom I also keep a big bag of marbles on the nightstand near the door. If I ever think someone is coming down the hallway one of the first things I'm doing is rolling all those marbles down the hall!

SwampYankee
April 23, 2009, 10:29 AM
As cool as it would be, you're setting yourself up for a lawsuit. Booby trapping your home in most places im aware of...

The real irony here is that castle doctrine in a lot of states (mine included) allows a homeowner to legally kill an intruder just for breaking in. The law assumes they were there to harm you just by the act of B&E.

In Rhode Island, you are also immune from any injuries someone may incur while illegally entering your home. I won't try it, but I assume booby traps are legal?

§ 11-8-8 Injury or death – Defense. – In the event that any person shall die or shall sustain a personal injury in any way or for any cause while in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6, it shall be rebuttably presumed as a matter of law in any civil or criminal proceeding that the owner, tenant, or occupier of the place where the offense was committed acted by reasonable means in self-defense and in the reasonable belief that the person engaged in the criminal offense was about to inflict great bodily harm or death upon that person or any other individual lawfully in the place where the criminal offense was committed. There shall be no duty on the part of an owner, tenant, or occupier to retreat from any person engaged in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6.

freakintoguns
April 23, 2009, 06:26 PM
espectre! i liek the way you think!

beasley
April 23, 2009, 06:40 PM
I have a special button I push that drops a bunch of poisonous cobras from a special compartment on to the people breaking in. While they're fighting the cobras I release my electric eels...

KLRANGL
April 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
I won't try it, but I assume booby traps are legal?
I doubt it...

§ 11-8-8 Injury or death – Defense. – In the event that any person shall die or shall sustain a personal injury in any way or for any cause while in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6, it shall be rebuttably presumed as a matter of law in any civil or criminal proceeding that the owner, tenant, or occupier of the place where the offense was committed acted by reasonable means in self-defense and in the reasonable belief that the person engaged in the criminal offense was about to inflict great bodily harm or death upon that person or any other individual lawfully in the place where the criminal offense was committed. There shall be no duty on the part of an owner, tenant, or occupier to retreat from any person engaged in the commission of any criminal offense enumerated in §§ 11-8-2 – 11-8-6.

Just guessing on it here, but if you can find a law or legal precedent where booby trapping your home is okay, I'd like to know. Everything Ive heard before leads to the contrary though...

god (and sam colt)
Theres a difference? ;)

Stevie-Ray
April 23, 2009, 10:41 PM
If I am awake I have a sidearm on my person at all times (except the rare occasion I have a beer or two)Why should that change? I had a beer with pizza for dinner tonight and my firearm remained on my side. My right of self-defense doesn't change when I decide to have a beer in my own home. If anybody thinks I should have first went to my safe and locked up the firearm, I'll tell them to their face they're nuts. A simple drink and getting drunk are two different things.

KLRANGL
April 23, 2009, 11:15 PM
My right of self-defense doesn't change when I decide to have a beer in my own home.
I agree... its all about personal responsibility...

blkft1
April 24, 2009, 12:53 AM
Home invasions are getting a little bad around here [outside of Dallas] and especially across the Hwy from us [The Grove area especially].Last coupl'a times I've been to the G store I talked to a few gents [one was a first time buyer] that had next door neighbors or themselves victimized.Doesnt matter if its day or night seems once the BG's decide to go shopping they just do it regardless.The only pre-warning system I have currently is a 150lb BloodHound :mad: who doesnt like no one except us [the Fam] and LOUDLY tells us when somebody/something is lurkin around or by the property.Used to be a decent area and still is but things are starting to change of course and always for the worst.Atleast our Police [Mesquite] keep a pretty good presence and do a very good job.

Piper Cub
April 24, 2009, 04:25 AM
I lock the apartment door, set the alarm, then lock my bedroom door and finaly my bathroom door. Sleeping in the tub(metal) I feel so much safer.

Housezealot
April 24, 2009, 09:13 AM
Why should that change? I had a beer with pizza for dinner tonight and my firearm remained on my side. My right of self-defense doesn't change when I decide to have a beer in my own home. If anybody thinks I should have first went to my safe and locked up the firearm, I'll tell them to their face they're nuts. A simple drink and getting drunk are two different things.

Alright, I generally don't drink often, but on the ocasion I do (buddy visiting or what have you) I general have 4 or 5 and then I DO NOT handle firearms, personal rule of mine, there is no such thing as small mistake with a firearm, but if i was to only drink a beer I suppose I wouldn't feel it neccassary to lock upo my piece either.

KingEdward
April 24, 2009, 11:52 AM
thanks all for the replies. I have ordered a club like device for the door. It acts as both a jam and sounds alarm. This will eliminate the dresser being used.