PDA

View Full Version : Benelli Black Eagle Competition

dalecooper51
April 18, 2009, 04:50 PM
This morning I decided to unload an 1100 LT20 and a s&W 36 that I haven't shot in a few years and ended up trading into a 12 ga Benelli Black Eagle Competition. It came with the box, manual, 5 choke tubes, and all the shims. I was into the other two guns for a total $525, so I feel I got a good deal on it. It's an older gun imported by HK, but other than I am not finding much information on the gun. Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of maintenance wise?. Are there any notable issues with this model? Any feedback is appreciated.

On a side note, I met my first TFL member at the skeet range and we shot a few rounds today. I didn't shoot particularly well, but it was beautiful out and I enjoyed the trigger time.

zippy13
April 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
There's an old adage among comp shooters: You always shoot better with a new gun. So, your, "I didn't shoot particularly well," is interesting. Do you shoot enough Skeet to have an established average and know when you're more than a few birds off per 100 targets? You might re-set the stock shims with the aid of a pattern board.
Benelli's are famous for performing well with high volumes and minimal maintenance. Yours should serve your well for many years.

earlthegoat2
April 19, 2009, 12:23 PM
Not being a Benelli lover myself I dont think that the getting rid of the LT20 was worth it at all. 20 gauges are inherently more valuable than 12 gauges in general and LT20s are somewhat desireable. I am of the school of thought that 12 gauges and 3" shells are overrated and useless. Dollar for dollar your two guns average about 450-500 depending on the options for the LT-20 and about 300 for the Model 36.

Now, if you traded two guns you dont use for one that you do and will then I would say you definitely came out on top.

dalecooper51
April 19, 2009, 01:40 PM
There's an old adage among comp shooters: You always shoot better with a new gun. So, your, "I didn't shoot particularly well," is interesting. Do you shoot enough Skeet to have an established average and know when you're more than a few birds off per 100 targets? You might re-set the stock shims with the aid of a pattern board.
Benelli's are famous for performing well with high volumes and minimal maintenance. Yours should serve your well for many years.

Zippy - I'm far from a competitive shooter. I normally shoot 6 to 8 rounds a week and average low 20's. It was really gusty and I lost a few birds because they jumped on me as I shot. My first league round yesterday I shot with the Benelli and I hit 12. Granted I just got it that morning and didn't have a chance to fit it or get to the pattern board, but 12 is definitely off my game. I was frustrated after the first round and grabbed my 12ga wingmaster and hit 18 the second round. After a break to clear my head, I shot two more rounds with my 20ga wingmaster and got a 20 and 22. I was in a funk there for a while. I'm sure next weekend will be better.

Not being a Benelli lover myself I dont think that the getting rid of the LT20 was worth it at all. 20 gauges are inherently more valuable than 12 gauges in general and LT20s are somewhat desireable. I am of the school of thought that 12 gauges and 3" shells are overrated and useless. Dollar for dollar your two guns average about 450-500 depending on the options for the LT-20 and about 300 for the Model 36.

Now, if you traded two guns you dont use for one that you do and will then I would say you definitely came out on top.

Earl - I bought that LT20 for an ex to shoot with me. I was into it for $275 and wasn't particularly fond of the gas being ported up into my face. Other that that, it was a nice gun. As for the 36, I have a few other J-frames about and I havent shot that one in 4 yrs. I think I was into it for about $250 but dont really remember what I paid for it 18 years ago.

I load for both 12 and 20 and none of my guns have ever seen a 3" shell. I load 1 oz at 1150fps in the 12 and 7/8 just a little faster in the 20. I love shooting 20's and my 20ga wingmaster is by far my favorite gun. It would have been great if the Benelli was a 20, but I can live with a 12. I just didn't know much about this model. It's a nice looking gun that will work for me once I take the time to set it up correctly and get some lead down range.