PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Snap Caps?

sundance66
April 17, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hello All:

I don't usually use snap caps in my O/U or SxS but I am looking to get a mossberg pump and with the "safety" feature, I want to be able to run at least two "shells" through it. As I don't plan any further use for these "snap caps, I had a thought:

Re crimp two-three EMPTY shot shells with old primers still in place and use THESE as cheap snap caps!

Nothing will happen as the shell has no primer, shot, wadding, etc in the shell to go "boom" and the empty shell will eject just as smoothly as any reload.

Comments, feedback, better ideas? let me know

sundance66@earthlink.net

hogdogs
April 18, 2009, 12:13 AM
well, to fully absorb the firing pin motion, the old primer is only so good once and reduced further with any reuse.
I am close to doing a homemade snap cap concept in both 20 and 12 as well as my .30-30. The old primer will be knocked out and I will find the proper size hole punch like these...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/03800-03899/03838.gif
Then use an old roller blade wheel for my "primer" material as they are semi rigid polyurethane. Cut out a "plug" and epoxy it in the primer pocket, trimming to length after the epoxy is set up. Then For the shot shells I will fill with discs of cardboard to give them some mass and reseal. For the .30-30 I will partially fill the cartridge with some sand and top it with a bullet so they will feed...
I have not done this but was told that fired primers are already pretty far from absorbing the impact and a pencil eraser is too soft...
Brent

T. O'Heir
April 18, 2009, 01:08 AM
No need for a pump gun. Or any centrefire firearm. Dry firing a Mossberg won't hurt it.
If you want DP rounds, they need to be filled with something that approximates the weight of a loaded round without powder or a primer.

zippy13
April 18, 2009, 01:22 AM
Greetings, sundance66, and welcome aboard,
I am looking to get a mossberg pump and with the "safety" feature, I want to be able to run at least two "shells" through it.
Not sure what you have in mind. Please see my reply "B A S I C S" to your other thread.

Pete

Old Guard Dog
April 18, 2009, 01:14 PM
I reload "spent" shotgun shells, leaving the used primer cap in place, and use them for feeding/functioning tests (without powder, of course). I have found the snap caps aren't the same balance as a loaded shell, and often don't feed well. Can't be any worse than dry firing.

I clearly mark them "DUMMY".

oneounceload
April 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
If you want to use them more than once, deprime and put a rubber pencil eraser from your basic wooden #2 in it - trim ti fit flush and you're good to go