PDA

View Full Version : Rem 870E HD Flashlight Question

Kimota
April 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
I've recently purchased a Remington 870 Express for everything- deer, birds, HD. For my home defense configuration, I picked up the 18.5" Mossberg barrel from Midway USA. I would like a basic flashlight setup that can be easily mounted and removed with the shorter barrel and the standard mag tube. I want to make minimal changes to the gun since I actually plan to hunt with it as well, so I won't be adding a mag extension for convenient mounting. Thoughts/recommendations?

zippy13
April 17, 2009, 12:09 PM
Greetings, Kimota, and welcome aboard,

There are several schools of thought on putting lights on HD shotguns. What do you plan on doing with it: general illumination or specific aiming/targeting? There are pros and cons for each. (IMHO, having a light on a defensive gun is a bad idea since it makes it easier for the BGs to locate you. Others favor a light.) If you're more specific, perhaps the 870 gurus can give you some specifics.

Kimota
April 17, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I've been around guns all of my life but have just recently started buying my own, so ownership considerations are new to me. I figured I would go to the experts.

Due to my house layout I would need to go downstairs to secure all of my children in the event of a break-in. I would want the light for spotting purposes as I moved to gather everybody into a location where we could hole up and think defensively. For that reason, I like a setup with a palm-pressure switch or something similar (on if something moved, off the rest of the time). The drawback I've seen is that most of the tactical light setups seem to be designed for pistol grip use. The ones I've looked at have a short cord length on the activator that seems to assume a front grip or require mounting farther back on the gun. I'm not a fan of pistol grips on a shotgun and I think I would want the light under the barrel and near the front. Any thoughts are welcome, both on hardware setups and on home defense in general.

daedalus-nj
April 17, 2009, 07:09 PM
I put a Streamlight TLR-1 on my 870 with 18.5" barrel. It works fine and I do not have the remote pressure switch. I have the light mounted just forward of the forend and find it to be a natural spot for my hand to hit the switch to either momentary or always on.

Lee Lapin
April 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-rem-870-tactical-mount-69906.html

I've been using these since they were first on the market- they work well with a good rail-mounted light. The LED weaponlights are better IMHO for use on a shotgun, if you don't have a light already- they don't have filaments in their bulbs to get shaken loose or broken by recoil.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-tlr1-weapon-mounted-flashlight.html is a good one...

lpl

Kimota
April 18, 2009, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the tips so far- I particularly like the rail bracket referenced above. I like the quality of the rail-mount LED's but I didn't think I could use one without rails.

BikerRN
April 18, 2009, 01:38 PM
If you are having to move throughout the house I would recommend a handgun and a handheld flashlight.

My 870 is for use in a barricaded position and has a light with a Pressure Switch attatched. It's easier to keep a hold of a handgun, from a weapon retention standpoint. Also, it's easier to fire the handgun if you have to use the support hand to guide, support or help a family member while shooting. It's also easier to shoot the handgun while deflecting a contact weapon in the hands of an adversary too.

Don't get me wrong, I love shotguns, and they are my "preferred" weapon of choice for anything within 100 Yards and the appropriate load. I just think that in a room clearing type situation, unless you have had exstensive training, the handgun is a better choice.

I have had some training and still prefer the handgun for that role. Also, I don't like clearing anything. The odds favor the badguy. If you can, let the badguy or gal come to you, or let somebody else clear the building. :)

Like I stated before, from a Barricaded Position the shotgun is best, IMHO. I feel that in this position it has no equal.

Sorry to get off topic. Now back to the topic at hand.

Cheaper Than Dirt has some flashlights with a clamp and pressure switch that are made by Lyman Ent. that work well and retail for approximately $80.00. They are designed for use with the shotgun, but I don't recall if you need a Magazine Tube Exstention or not. Give their website a look and check.

Biker

WagonM
April 18, 2009, 02:28 PM
You just need this ~$50 forend. Just Google for the best price on the web. And let us know how you like it ... it has been on my shopping list :D

http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/remington-870-rail-system-p-222.html

Thanks for the tips so far- I particularly like the rail bracket referenced above. I like the quality of the rail-mount LED's but I didn't think I could use one without rails.

Kimota
April 18, 2009, 03:35 PM
Biker, I agree about clearing. Not a fan at all- prefer to hole up and defend. Unfortunately, I cannot get all of my kids in bedrooms on the same floor of the house, and I wouldn't be willing to strand one of them in a situation. I've been looking at a couple of handguns as well, so I may just need to move ahead with that in order to have my home defense plan "settled" in my mind. On that topic, does anybody know of good home defense trainers/courses in Minnesota?

I appreciate the tips on hardware as well- keep them coming, and I'll let you all know what I decide when I do so.